Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just make sure the velcro is smoothed flat, usually works.

But when it doesn't, yes it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soal_Fish
Jul 20, 2004

yes its Soal not Soul but oh well

mr. unhsib posted:

Does anyone have this problem where the straps of your elbow pads cling to the jersey as you put it on, and they get loose/undone while in the sleeve? It's annoying as gently caress

This would happen to me every time, now I put my jersey on first, then roll up the sleeves to put on my elbow pads and then roll them back down. Works well for me.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Start my learn to play tomorrow, so far only 3 other people signed up, hope they don't cancel.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

mr. unhsib posted:

Does anyone have this problem where the straps of your elbow pads cling to the jersey as you put it on, and they get loose/undone while in the sleeve? It's annoying as gently caress

Yes - until I started pulling the wrists/sleeves of my under armour or whatever shirt back over the slash guard. Keeps my wrists cool and elbows from slipping

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My elbow pads have been taped forever and I never have a problem putting on a jersey.

Also I don't understand how people put on a jersey such that it gets stuck on their back and they can't reach it and need help. That hasn't happened to me since I was 8. How are y'all putting on a shirt wrong.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Duke Chin posted:

Yes - until I started pulling the wrists/sleeves of my under armour or whatever shirt back over the slash guard. Keeps my wrists cool and elbows from slipping

That's actually a great idea

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Pleads posted:

My elbow pads have been taped forever and I never have a problem putting on a jersey.

Also I don't understand how people put on a jersey such that it gets stuck on their back and they can't reach it and need help. That hasn't happened to me since I was 8. How are y'all putting on a shirt wrong.
Most of the time it happens it's because it catches on my shoulder caps. Sure I could get it myself but why go crazy trying to do that when you can just ask a teammate for help.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
The hockey gods giveth:
Had a fun game tonight. Went down 2-0 early, but we managed to get one back in the second. On the next shift, I jumped up on the play with two forwards. The puck carrier dropped it back to the other forward as I drove the net then set up in front. She took a good hard wrist shot from the left wing boards and I tipped it down. It died right in front of me, so I gathered it, pivoted around the goalie, and had a tap-in to tie it up.

The hockey gods taketh:
We went up 3-2 shortly thereafter, and were feeling pretty comfortable. Early in the third, though, I had a terrible shift where they scored twice to regain the lead. I got burned again later trying to stand up on the puck carrier as he entered the zone. Danced around me and sniped it. 5-3.

The hockey gods giveth:
dms66 went end to end and made a nice move to bring it to 5-4 with 90 seconds left. We put out a power line and managed to pull the goalie with about 1:00 left. I swear we got 10 shots during that minute, with some nice keeps and quick zone re-entries when they cleared.

The hockey gods taketh:
The opposing goalie went into superman mode and saved every shot, including an open net chance he managed to bat away. Buzzer.

Fun, back-and-forth game.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Anyone have any experience or know anyone with Hespeler Rogue line of gear. Hockeytron has a clearance of some of their protective equipment and thought I'd pick up a few starter pieces so I can stop using the used loaner gear my rink has.

Edit: looks like their tron elite gear is on clearance also for a few pieces. So thoughts on that as well.

take me you ANIMAL fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 12, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

my hespelier shinguards are on year 18 and they are still going

that being said both rogue and tron are cheap as can be. But if you're learning to skate and guys aren't shooting that hard it's a great piece of starter gear

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Ugh my team is horrible. We scored our first goal when we're two men down. Also, refs are also loving terrible, well at least this one ref, we should have been 5 v 4 instead of 5 v 3 but the guy has no concept of the rules it seems. He toss one of our players, our player gets tackled from behind and he gets up and throws a punch. Gets tossed for that and then he continues to yell at the ref so we get a 2 minute bench penalty on top of the 4 minutes for throwing a punch.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Wait I'm confused: one of your players threw a punch and got ejected and you're mad?

Throwing a punch is auto eject up here. :shrug:

Also I didn't see this until I looked through the suspensions list but it would appear someone got 2000 games at the end of summer leagues... Man I want to know the story behind that suspension/ban soooooo baaaaaad

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Duke Chin posted:

Wait I'm confused: one of your players threw a punch and got ejected and you're mad?

Also I didn't see this until I looked through the suspensions list but it would appear someone got 2000 games at the end of summer leagues... Man I want to know the story behind that suspension/ban soooooo baaaaaad

Go to town on someone with a stick?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Gently caressed the refs wife.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Okay, so I got a shot on goal last night and blocked a shot in the defensive zone. I got on a line with a really good center who explained a lot of things for me playing left wing. We had a pretty good tandem going where I would forecheck hard after a dump in and force the defense to play it up on the boards where my center would then pick up the puck and keep it in the zone. Pretty basic beer league stuff but it seemed to work since we got a 5-2 victory.

Staying wide and forechecking deep as a wing seems to be the concept that I was missing when I started out this season. I'm feeling a lot better about my play now.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Last week I got to play Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday. Saturday I went to an NHL game. Pretty good hockey week.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

sellouts posted:

my hespelier shinguards are on year 18 and they are still going

that being said both rogue and tron are cheap as can be. But if you're learning to skate and guys aren't shooting that hard it's a great piece of starter gear

Thanks, with the clearance deal I got pants, shin guards, elbow pads, shoulder pads, and gloves for $100. I can replace as needed but for starting that will do. The elastic and velcro on all the rental gear is worn to hell and from now on it will only be my stink in them which is a plus.

take me you ANIMAL fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 12, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nice. Your own equipment is better than borrowing it.

When the elastic stretches out though, just tape it. One band of tape below the kneecap does it for me.

The team we played ran into a buzz saw last night. Our 2 worst players (and only really bad players tbh) weren't there. Unfortunately their 3 best players weren't there. We tried to sub our goalie for a worse one to make it even but the shots were 55-12 and we stopped trying halfway through the game.

Those games just aren't fun but when we are scoring goals off of our own teams faces it might just be a long night.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 12, 2015

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

I had 5 goals last night... and we lost 5-7.

I am glad the season is almost over so I can find another team. Watching people dump the puck when it comes near them EVERYTIME is getting mildly infuriating.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Pleads posted:

It means they need a bigger jersey, or the jersey doesn't stretch. I have to put on my black jersey in a very special way or it will get stuck.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Duke Chin posted:

I'm more mad at we have to wait to be 5 v 3 to score our first drat goal. I wasn't surprised that my player got ejected, anytime he gets a penalty he gets loud, I was just waiting for it to happen. I'm also irritated at the ref, more so that he's poo poo because he refuses to call penalties against other teams, even blatant trips right in front of him.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Thufir posted:

Last week I got to play Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday. Saturday I went to an NHL game. Pretty good hockey week.

I went down to one league only for this season and between waiting for the season to start up, bye weeks, and travel I think I get to play one game in the entire month of October. So bummed.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Every hockey player should know that retaliation gets called infinitely more often than the initial penalty. A lot of that stuff is behind the play so refs aren't paying much attention to it, especially if you only have one ref.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Verman posted:

Every hockey player should know that retaliation gets called infinitely more often than the initial penalty. A lot of that stuff is behind the play so refs aren't paying much attention to it, especially if you only have one ref.

As I said, I'm just surprised it took this long for him to get tossed. Anytime there is a call against us he's yelling at the refs. He's a great player, probably our best defensemen, but he's got a short fuse. Wonder if it's because he's a retired cop.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

calandryll posted:

As I said, I'm just surprised it took this long for him to get tossed. Anytime there is a call against us he's yelling at the refs. He's a great player, probably our best defensemen, but he's got a short fuse. Wonder if it's because he's a retired cop.

There's probably something to that, but I've noticed that defensemen get called for a lot of incidental contact type stuff that possibly contributes to a shorter fuse. Every time I see a new ref in our games, it takes a call or two before I try and talk to them. For years I'd get spun up and butthurt over various penalties because skaters fall down when they try to force me out of position and lose then the ref just sees some diminutive forward on his face in the crease. Now I just ask the ref how they'd rather see that play go and they almost always realize that they can't call based on size and give me some latitude.

I mean, sometimes yes, I totally slash that guy in the shins cuz I got beat and would rather take the 2 minutes than let him have a shot because I'm shallow, but only terrible people get wound up and argue-y over things they obviously did on purpose.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had a guy offer a fist-bump after he hooked me on a breakaway last night. Where is my Thunderdome going???

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Tied 4-4 last night, and we scored the game-tying goal in the final minute with the goalie pulled. Cant' believe that worked, it was exhilarating as hell.

Pleads posted:

Those people are probably wearing tighter jerseys than you are used to.

Soal_Fish posted:

This would happen to me every time, now I put my jersey on first, then roll up the sleeves to put on my elbow pads and then roll them back down. Works well for me.

I'm going to start doing this.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Bilirubin posted:

Fellow skinny checking in

Lol, am I missing something? Why would this only happen to skinny people?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

The team we played ran into a buzz saw last night.
My left pinky and ring finger went numb and my left calf started cramping up after that dipshit cut my leg out in front of the crease, then he elbowed me in the cage after I kept a puck in at the blue line. Nuts to that team.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Go to town on someone with a stick?

Nitramster posted:

Gently caressed the refs wife.

Cucked the Commish's Concubine? :rimshot:

Yeah I dunno - but I might see the guy who runs the league on Thursday and if I remember to I'll ask him about it. I also wonder if the dude who got banned immediately went over to the other, new, upstart hockey league on the eastside. :v:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

mr. unhsib posted:

Lol, am I missing something? Why would this only happen to skinny people?

Having to tighten the elbow pads to the point the velcro sticks out far enough to catch on the jersey?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
clearly you all need to start hittin' the weights and get swole, bruh.

My elbow pads are cheap garbage and don't fit all that hot either. The forearm/slashguard is almost bigger than the bicep strap for some bizarre reason.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

TBF, middle age and beer are eliminating the skinny factor disturbingly quickly. Also I have no idea how to properly size gear, its more like "yeah these fit I guess, I can flex my elbows. GTG"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dude on my team got a 10 for flipping the puck up at the ref between whistles trying to be helpful. He took it as firing a puck at his head and gave him an unsportsmanlike misconduct.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Dude on my team got a 10 for flipping the puck up at the ref between whistles trying to be helpful. He took it as firing a puck at his head and gave him an unsportsmanlike misconduct.

THUNDERDOME IS BACK!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Beer league player flips puck at beer league ref. Too many things can go wrong there. Especially in your league. A good penalty.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bootcha posted:

THUNDERDOME IS BACK!

Meh, that's pretty tame.

Although, this for sure:

Doctor Butts posted:

Beer league player flips puck at beer league ref. Too many things can go wrong there. Especially in your league. A good penalty.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I see players attempt NHL style "help the ref get the puck" moves every so often and it always ends up being super awkward because it never works and just wastes more time.

No one can get the puck on their blade on demand, or the ref is too out of shape to actually catch it, or no one can aim it into a spot where it's actually useful.

I'll stop the puck with my stick if it comes towards me, but other than that I just leave it there and let the ref figure it out.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Guy last week on my team got a penalty for getting boarded by a guy and pushing back after the hit. The other player then proceeded to talk all sorts of poo poo to the ref and my teammate as they went to the box, when my teammate got into the box first the player blew him a kiss and my teammate did the deaf flipping the bird hand motion (back of the palm flick under your chin) and the ref then decided to give everyone a 10 and game misconduct which in our league is also a game suspension. My teammate literally never said a word after the hit or anything while skating to the box.

Same ref this week gave another BS penalty to a guy on my team. Best player on the team gets boarded by a known goon who then falls down and loses one of his gloves. As my teammate is skating away he gently bats the puck along the ice towards the guy so he can get his glove. Ref takes that as a sign of something and gives them matching penalties.

:vince:

Can't stand the ref and wish he would go back to being on injured leave or something so our games don't get hosed up with his idiotic calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

I see players attempt NHL style "help the ref get the puck" moves every so often and it always ends up being super awkward because it never works and just wastes more time.

No one can get the puck on their blade on demand, or the ref is too out of shape to actually catch it, or no one can aim it into a spot where it's actually useful.

I'll stop the puck with my stick if it comes towards me, but other than that I just leave it there and let the ref figure it out.

Yeah if I were a beer league ref I could see that kicking-the-puck-up poo poo getting tired REALLY quick. I sure as poo poo wouldn't want anyone in my garbage division flicking pucks up at me.

real_scud posted:

Can't stand the ref and wish he would go back to being on injured leave or something so our games don't get hosed up with his idiotic calls.

Take a run at him.