Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
If you're thinking of seeing Paul or perhaps being unlawfully influenced into it, save yourself the cash and do a Listology search for Fave Alien Moviez--it will enlighten the creative process involved here. It's nearly as derivative as a U2 album, and you can tell the cast and crew of this isotope-green turd have probably never had to freebase cocaine to make rent. If someone in the real world tried to pass off something as formless and slipshod as Paul, they'd be forced to murder/suicide their coworkers. But Hollywood skates on, unaware that a revolution is forming from the miserable masses who just want a laugh before they have to jump back in the meat grinder on Monday. A comedy shouldn't make you as class-conscious as Paul.

I've heard this quantum shitcoil described as a stoner comedy. Let me state for the record that I was stoned as gently caress in the theatre--mostly off court-mandated Abilify. But if this is all it takes to get potheads to laugh, maybe the government ought to step in and perscribe some Zyklon B. Paul could only dream to plumb the depths of Cheech & Chong, Esquire.

Paul, voiced by Seth Rogan, is a derivative alien with derivative powers. He meets Simon Pegg and Nick Frost while escaping a government research facility. They reenact some beloved movie scenes and kill time, calling back to sci-fi flicks everybody remembers. Meanwhile the crowd is checking their watch and wondering when we'll stop visualizing our corporeal damnation.

There's a bunch of funny people here, including the hilarious Joe Lo Truglio, but gently caress them because they are all whores for accepting this project. Their existence and livelihood is hinged upon your fond rememberance of E.T., Close Encounters, Star Wars, gently caress, even K-Pax at one point. If this doesn't draw immediately to mind the snake devouring its own tail, and you like huffing glue, you might find this funny. Like the stupidest and least shaven Atheist, Paul is unbearable in its self-righteous know-it-allingness. I was almost convinced to start pretending I believe in god just to spite the smug shiteaters who wrote this, and their validation-seeking fans.

This frozen hunk of space poopy only lends further credence to one of the widespread rationales for piracy. I mean, why pay A- or B-movie prices for some D-product of the star's soft drug binge? Threaten your petite submissive Asian girlfriends with ball-gag therapy if they suggest seeing this. Uno for the putos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

low8284
May 20, 2003
Despite so much misappropriated rage directed towards this film, I have to strongly disagree here.

Paul is the story of two men who dream of visiting America, comic con, and touring some of the US's most famous sci fi spots such as Area 51, etc. On the way they meet up with the eponymous Paul. I won't ruin the rest, but it's easy to figure out.

Paul , while not up to par with Shaun of the Dead is still an entertaining movie. Much like Shaun of the Dead referencing numerous zombie flicks, this is basically an homage to the sci-fi films the writers and most of us grew up with. Going into the movie not realizing this or being unfamiliar with these films could make this flick seem rather dull. There were several lines in the movie directly lifted from Stars Wars (among others) that seemed quite lost on the audience I viewed the film with. I found myself to be the only one chuckling when Jason Bateman shoots the cb radio and says "Boring conversation anyway" or when Paul is seen talking to Spielberg in the warehouse where the Ark of the Covenant from Raiders was stored.

The film is enjoyable although a bit slow at a few points and lacking hardly any seriously funny moments, I wouldn't recommend a visit to the theater,but it is definitely worth renting once on home release.

3/5

low8284 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 28, 2011

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah if there is one fatal flaw to this comedy, it's that the movie is more interesting than it is funny. It's Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, though, and the two of them aren't really known for an outrageous comedy style, but for their tributes of classic movie genres that just happen to be funny.

Paul is all about the alien movies, and you'll see plenty of parallels to [your favorite alien movie here]. The titular alien is voiced by Seth Rogen, who does a fine enough job voice-acting, even if the role itself isn't much of a stretch for him. The three comedic leads have fairly good chemistry together, which certainly helps any road-trip buddy movie. Most of the supporting characters are one- or two-note jokes but they work well enough.

This wasn't by any means a laugh-out-loud movie for me, but neither was Hot Fuzz; like that movie, there are a lot of clever lines and moments in this one, and also like Hot Fuzz, I'd imagine the movie gets better with a rewatch. With that said, the first time through was a bit of a drag at times and the movie's pace sort of stutters, but I was never bored with the movie, and I thought it was overall a decent use of my theater money. I'd probably recommend waiting to rent it tbh. 3/5

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Enjoyed this one. I personally prefered it to Shaun of the Dead, but then again I am one of the few who consider SofD simply a funny film and not a classic of the genre.

It's fun, it's mildly stupid, and I am pretty sure it will stand up to UK audiences a ton more than it could handle a US or international audience. While the majority of the cast are American, the humor is largely the UK humor of other Simon Pegg films despite having a more worldly wise director.

4/5 Good fun film.

Crazydoc
Dec 23, 2004
I really enjoyed this film, not for any depth of plot, amazing special effects or wonderful acting, but the film was enjoyable from the first few minutes on. Lots of pretty blunt parodies of everything from Close Encounters to Men In Black. Not a film I would pay top dollar for, but certainly worth a bargain matinee, especially if you are in the right mood.

Don't expect great cinematic art but plan for a fun-filled afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I truly enjoyed this movie.

Though it doesn't feature any ice cream, it's clearly a Pegg/Frost work.
I'll admit that it is predictable at times (I'm sure nobody will be surprised with the events surrounding Pegg at the end) it's still very entertaining.

5/5