Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I read Solanin after Punpun and was pretty disappointed in it. I like to think that it was just practice for writing Punpun.

edit: not sure what I think of Nijagahara Holograph yet, though. I'll probably need to read a few more times just to understand it.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
How old is punpun supposed to be now? It seems like he shouldn't be able to be a high school grad so soon. I thought there have only been three time skips so far, each being two years, so how could he be older than 16 or 17?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Robo Pope posted:

There were quite a few time skips in the last few batches of chapters. Alot of it was indicated by the progress of his mom's cancer. He's out of high school now and basically being a slacker working a part time job and living on his own with support of his uncle and aunt. You can see the change of seasons through various little hints, like if Punpun is wearing a scarf or something or the weather signs in a couple of chapters. Also, one of his school friends mentions not having seen him since graduation.

Oh, I was only aware of the "goodnight punpun" timeskips. Didn't know that whole sequence took place over the course of years. I thought it was just a series of flashbacks from his mother's perspective.

And I think I know who the girl in the new chapter is. Completely different personality, but the looks match up anyways.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Robo Pope posted:

Oh snap, you got me reading old chapters and I just noticed this. The latest girl to join that weird cult is the same girl that joined Punpun's elementary class in the second semester.

Yeah, and you lead me to reread chapter 71 and notice this. Seems like something very very big is going to happen in two years.

After reading nijigahara holograph I've realized that Asano really loves hiding relevant details all over the place.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Robo Pope posted:

New Chapter. We were right about her being the artist, dunno bout the girl from the abandoned building yet.

The shape of their faces is pretty different, so they're maybe different. If so I bet we'll see that girl again at some point.

Anyways this was a really good chapter now at least the story has some direction again.

edit: also, we've apparently met punpun's landlord before:
http://somemango.com/alt/Oyasumi_Punpun/52/mf/

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 6, 2011

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
It feels as if the manga could come to an end in the next volume or two, but I hope that's not the case. There are still lots of old characters we have to touch base with.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Sometimes I wish the manga was about Seki and Shimizu :smith:

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Personally I'm glad we only get a volume every several months. Any faster and I'd probably kill myself or something.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Up until now, this series was really powerful because it was easy to relate to Punpun, but these recent events have totally destroyed that. This blows.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Personal_Nirvana posted:

^

Exactly. Is so much more powerfull because you are emotionaly invested, and care for the character. Now, i can unerstand why people would want to slap Inio Asano's face. Everyone who follow Punpun is familiar with his dark side, and get tha he's prone to destructive behavior. But no one expected to manifest that way.

Yeah this is what I was trying to say. It's a lot like how in Shamo Ryo is somewhat sympathetic, until he randomly rapes some woman and from then on he's just some sociopathic monster. Though that didn't turn out entirely bad, but that's probably because it was an action manga all along.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Zorak posted:

Well not quite, since with Shamo he has something mildly as an arc of him realizing how horrible he is

And IIRC he quickly suppresses his guilt through more violence or something

And on that note, apparently Shamo volume 28 was scanlated!

[/derail]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Finally got around to finishing punpun and I think I'll just pretend that it ended after volume 10, because nothing after that makes any god drat sense.

• Locked thread