Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Crossface the gently caress out of them and then armbar them when they try to push you away. Works like a charm on less-experienced guys.

Kill them by shooting them with a pistol or a nice revolver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hey ya'll, I know where you are coming from, sometimes striking sparring is a nightmare against relative newcomers too, especially if they are fast and powerful to boot. Say, a former athlete or a guy who lifts and does a ton of cycling every day decides to come over. The techniques they use in this or that situation often make absolutely no sense... and hit you in the face from the weirdest angles and distances.

Then you can't really tag or go that hard on them, because they are newbies after all? But if you let them flail around at the 105% that they use, with their limbs swiging and guard wide open, you'll get your own nose bloody? Aaaaahh?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the answers guys, there were some good tips and I'll make sure to try stuff out when I next have the chance. Luckily I'm not the only one to notice the problems of sparring with strong beginners.

Xguard86 posted:

It is weird how you almost have to practice with white belts to deal with them, like you forget wtf to do when people act kind of dumb or just lockdown and go totally defensive.

This is really true, you almost have to practice it. I guess the biggest thing is the 110% power, because when you usually spar, you are, you know, practicing, so you don't go 100% and try to figure good timing and distancing and whatever. When you start a sparring session with a beginner though, you are already behind the curve because the other go literally goes apeshit.

Ligur posted:

Hey ya'll, I know where you are coming from, sometimes striking sparring is a nightmare against relative newcomers too, especially if they are fast and powerful to boot. Say, a former athlete or a guy who lifts and does a ton of cycling every day decides to come over. The techniques they use in this or that situation often make absolutely no sense... and hit you in the face from the weirdest angles and distances.

Then you can't really tag or go that hard on them, because they are newbies after all? But if you let them flail around at the 105% that they use, with their limbs swiging and guard wide open, you'll get your own nose bloody? Aaaaahh?

I just realized that I was one of these people: When I was doing kickboxing at the tender age of 16 and the other guy launched a roundhouse kick for example, I just turtled up and bashed against him with my forearms, not giving him any space, sometimes pushing him away and hitting him with some jabs and hort hooks while he was trying to regain his balance. People literally were so confused that they couldn't do anything, they just weren't used to dealing with that, even if they knew some kickboxing. I remember some dude actually saying "Jesus Christ, that guy is crazy."

Another thing I've realized is that sparring with cops is something similiar to this: The also go 110% but they are much more focused, like they have one tried and true technique they have learned in the academy and brutally force it through, no matter what. I lost constantly to a bigger police officer of 15 years when he started grappling but once he learned some sportsmanship and he actually started sparring rather than trying to overpower me, he couldn't do jack poo poo to me anymore.

I guess this just underlines how much intensity really matters.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I got some shiner from an unathletic but super anxious newbie once that taught me not to get too relaxed against a new guy, even if you think its for theor benefit. Some guys just haven't learned how to control themselves and so seem more unpredictable than they are.

E: the moral of the story is that you shouldn't expect to be able to style on anyone, even some fresh joe off the street, without your due diligence.

Novum fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 2, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ya my work and travel schedules means I train in the basics class now. It's actually been a blessing in disguise: i can really deep dive on techniques because I control the whole match and like we were talking about earlier: it's experience handling that crazy intensity/flailing.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
So the past few days I've been looking at rash guards, gis, videos of BJJ and overall been stoked as hell about starting it and tried to curb my enthusiasm a bit while waiting for the basic course to start. Now... Can someone explain to me why the hell BJJ gis look like big ol' advertisement boards for whoever manufactured them?

Also this is a bit embarassing... But I used to be a huge guy and have an.. unusual amount of lose skin. Like.. It's going to be easy to grab. How sturdy is one of those gis? Is there are risk someone will grab at my skin through it? I'll get a heavy-duty compression type rash guard anyway. Those always help until I get someone in a white coat to slice the extra bits off...

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

BJJ gis are sturdy as gently caress. You can hang a person's full bodyweight off it without any chance of it ripping. It's still possible I guess, but the places they're most likely to be grabbing are your arms and legs. You don't often grab the torso as such, you just kind of hug it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

General Emergency posted:

So the past few days I've been looking at rash guards, gis, videos of BJJ and overall been stoked as hell about starting it and tried to curb my enthusiasm a bit while waiting for the basic course to start. Now... Can someone explain to me why the hell BJJ gis look like big ol' advertisement boards for whoever manufactured them?

Also this is a bit embarassing... But I used to be a huge guy and have an.. unusual amount of lose skin. Like.. It's going to be easy to grab. How sturdy is one of those gis? Is there are risk someone will grab at my skin through it? I'll get a heavy-duty compression type rash guard anyway. Those always help until I get someone in a white coat to slice the extra bits off...

It's not something you'll really have to worry about. Most grips taken are on the end of the sleeves, the lapels, or the belt. Sometimes someone going for your belt over your back won't reach and they'll just grab the gi instead, which is usually when a bunch of skin can get grabbed. Not a big deal either way, it just hurts.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I always find that with newbies the simple poo poo to frustrate them is the most effective. If I'm in guard I just keep their posture off balance and retain my guard over and over and over till they try something in desperation and give up an arm or a sweep.

If I'm in their guard I try to work simple passes and wait for them to sperg hard and sell out for an arm bar or triangle.

In striking I take a similar approach, I stand just out of range and use footwork to move myself anywhere but where they can load up and crack me or I'll keep changing angles so that they're always having to re-set or over extend to hit me. Sometimes you get caught moving into something that you don't expect but I find that going back to basics and staying relaxed is fine against new comers.

Especially striking people hate chasing someone even when I'm in the pocket but just that little bit off their centre line so they have to re-set to throw anything right drives people nuts. Once they're frustrated you can Rory MacDonald someone with your jab for the rest of the round without too much trouble.

Not having your poo poo together and walking into an overhand right or head kick sucks though.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Newbie Tales ITT:

I had just started boxing a ton more than previously. Head movement was the poo poo during that period, baby. So one summer day I popped by for the first class available, and it happened to be Savate. Cool beans, I just dug out my leg guards and off we went. Being one of the heavier and taller guys (I think was 210 lbs at the time) I was constantly paired with the larger or shredded dudes and I end up with this 6'1 guy who obviously lifts, but not enough to make him incapable of functioning or whatever so he was still waving his arms and legs with vigour after 60 minutes into the class.

Sparring starts! Now, remember guyz, Savate is a kickboxing art where you kick with the shoe. This adds up to a different range from, say, MT. If you are too close up or time your kick bad, you end up kneeing or striking with your shin: that's an illegal blow. So savateurs only use certain kicks in certain situations and ranges, right? Confident in my new boxing skillz I feint with a jab to close the distance, slip a counter to my right to avoid his power hand so I can get in close for the bodywork, eyes sparkling and certain of victory! Mid-slip, he panics and throws a front leg roundhouse... kneeing me in the face so hard my head and teeth go numb and I almost topple right over as I basically duck right into his leg. Thing is, he was a bit of a newbie, and no savateur worth his salt would ever use that technique from that range so stupid me totally did not expect him to do that.

That was the last time ever I tried an u-slip from up close against against a newb frog shoe fighter :(

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Trip Report: Rio Combat @ Alameda CA.

So I went to my first beginner no-gi class today and had a blast.

Good stuff:
- Pretty small class size
- Costs less than Ralph Gracie's and its closer to where I live.
- Attached to the monthly cost is unlimited classes (no-gi BJJ, Gi BJJ and Muay Thai) and use of the Gym (The classes are held inside the Baladium Gym)
- A fellow co-worker goes to the class too.

Bad stuff:
- Pretty small class size.
- Probably not the best gym I can go to.
- I will most likely move out my current place in a couple of months.

Paid my first month and I am stocked as gently caress.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Small could be good if it means you get a lot of personal attention from the teachers.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
It can also be bad if it means there are only unsuitable training partners, which can also happen.

But usually it's good.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Went to my first boxing class last night. It feels like someone drove a truck over my abs.

But, y'know, in a good way.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
They drove over your abs with a truck? Man that gym is hardcore. We just get pounded with a gym ball sometimes. Glad to hear you seem to have had fun.

Didn't really have the best sparring session today. Anyone have any good tips for fighting people who are better than you and larger than you? I'm pretty much the shortest guy at my gym, scrawny and bad at this whole "fight" part of "fightsports". Anyway, there are like two guys smaller or same size as me and both vastly more experienced than me. It's really drat hard to get in on someone with a foot more reach than you and more experience... Somehow everything I planned goes out of the window and I'm just standing there thinking "how the gently caress do I attack?" and can't come up with anything.

Also I learned a valuable lesson about people today: They feel far more secure about kicking you in the head if you wear a helmet. :v:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Didn't really have the best sparring session today. Anyone have any good tips for fighting people who are better than you and larger than you? I'm pretty much the shortest guy at my gym, scrawny and bad at this whole "fight" part of "fightsports".

More work is the tip, sorry, sucks. We go through this pretty often at the place I go to. You really have to outmove and outcardio taller, bigger guys or girls. By and large, the best "trick" is to be in better shape, because that is the best advantage out of the two you can have and probably moving faster and for longer periods is easier if you are the smaller guy so work with that. The other thing is to get inside their lead leg and lead arm, but they'll know this is what you are trying to do so it's a bit of a bitch to accomplish.

Step in with a blatant fake, block or deflect the kick or punch they will try to stop you with (and they will) and use the same movement to close in. Block and step in at the same time. So now that's YOUR range you are in. You have to be fearless and trust you can deflect or slip whatever is coming at you on the way, which is scary.

There's one place where you have the advantage: forehead to chest, pressed against the ropes, if they can't shove you around too much. Unless you are completely outclassed and they can go all Nate Diaz or Tyson on you, you should be able to dig in uppercuts and hooks to their ribs and face while burying your face at their body, while the only range they can have at that point is hugging.

Lengthy arms usually don't make for great infighting, especially if people are not accustomed to that, that said you always have a Jon Jones or someone who can do that too - but most people can't and in general taller people have big issues dealing with shorties who shoot inside and start unleashing torrents of short and quick strikes all over the place.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Anyone have any good tips for fighting people who are better than you and larger than you?

Don't.

Honestly though, just work the stuff you know. If they're bigger AND better it's kind of up to them how much they want to let you work.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Don't.

Honestly though, just work the stuff you know. If they're bigger AND better it's kind of up to them how much they want to let you work.

It's a great opportunity to train diminishing your ego haha.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Small could be good if it means you get a lot of personal attention from the teachers.

Ligur posted:

It can also be bad if it means there are only unsuitable training partners, which can also happen.

But usually it's good.

This is pretty much what I meant with "small class size", all four of us where new to the no-gi class but the Gi class has more people so there is that.

Edit: I hurt all over, so it means yesterday's class was a good class.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ligur posted:

More work is the tip, sorry, sucks. We go through this pretty often at the place I go to. You really have to outmove and outcardio taller, bigger guys or girls. By and large, the best "trick" is to be in better shape, because that is the best advantage out of the two you can have and probably moving faster and for longer periods is easier if you are the smaller guy so work with that. The other thing is to get inside their lead leg and lead arm, but they'll know this is what you are trying to do so it's a bit of a bitch to accomplish.

Step in with a blatant fake, block or deflect the kick or punch they will try to stop you with (and they will) and use the same movement to close in. Block and step in at the same time. So now that's YOUR range you are in. You have to be fearless and trust you can deflect or slip whatever is coming at you on the way, which is scary.

There's one place where you have the advantage: forehead to chest, pressed against the ropes, if they can't shove you around too much. Unless you are completely outclassed and they can go all Nate Diaz or Tyson on you, you should be able to dig in uppercuts and hooks to their ribs and face while burying your face at their body, while the only range they can have at that point is hugging.

Lengthy arms usually don't make for great infighting, especially if people are not accustomed to that, that said you always have a Jon Jones or someone who can do that too - but most people can't and in general taller people have big issues dealing with shorties who shoot inside and start unleashing torrents of short and quick strikes all over the place.

To add to this:

You should watch some videos of guys who are often at a reach disadvantage and try to mimic their footwork. Might sound counter intuitive but I started doing better when I was sparring when I stopped trying to figure out strategies for each opponent and tried to imitate guys I liked to watch.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Thanks for the feedback guys. Spar more, learn more, don't be afraid of going in close. The problem has been that we're having the hottest summer ever and that's diminished our little group to like... an average of five or so guys. Not a lot of variation in sparring partners right now. Great for technique practice, but sparring is a ego busting. God drat love this stuff though. Need to practice more.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I currently do No-Gi grappling[CSW] and am going to be doing BJJ soon, what are some of the big differences? Can/Do I use pretty much the same tool set?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KildarX posted:

I currently do No-Gi grappling[CSW] and am going to be doing BJJ soon, what are some of the big differences? Can/Do I use pretty much the same tool set?

Once you get into a non-guard position, things work mostly the same. For guard-work and guard-passing, you're going to have to learn grip-fighting and dealing with the different gi-grips, and that'll take a bit of time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

KildarX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0IUR4gkPIE

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
I hate no gi, there aren't any Brabo chokes :(

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I went to the "advanced" I.E not labeled beginners no-gi BJJ class today. 30 minutes of warm-ups and going through one technique and then 3 10 minute grappling sessions. Grappeled with a guy that was as heavy or a bit heavier than me, almost passed out twice, was literally out of strength on the last 5 minutes and felt like I needed to puke.

God I love BJJ.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

I went to the "advanced" I.E not labeled beginners no-gi BJJ class today. 30 minutes of warm-ups and going through one technique and then 3 10 minute grappling sessions. Grappeled with a guy that was as heavy or a bit heavier than me, almost passed out twice, was literally out of strength on the last 5 minutes and felt like I needed to puke.

God I love BJJ.

On certain days my CSW class has a Striking Portion and a Grappling portion combined into the class. Nothing gets the "oh poo poo why am I so out of shape" thoughts flowing then doing kick boxing pyramids followed directly by about five minutes of rolling.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I did judo for the first time last night. Judo owns. The 60 something year old lady who was the only other noob in the class also owns.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Iucounu posted:

I did judo for the first time last night. Judo owns. The 60 something year old lady who was the only other noob in the class also owns.

I decided to double down on BJJ and Judo since the time tables lined up nicely. Can't wait for either to start.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Syphilis Fish posted:

I hate no gi, there aren't any Brabo chokes :(
What do you mean? There are plenty of Brabos in no gi.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Yuns posted:

What do you mean? There are plenty of Brabos in no gi.

I guess I should've specified: with the lapel.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Do you know how weird what you just said is

edit: and the no-gi brabo/d'arce is so awesome that I often forget that the gi version is even there

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 9, 2014

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Also I am a tough fight guy everyone

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Still think you should've gotten :haw: teeth but Snuggler's pretty good too.

This also reminds me that I need to get a new mouthguard as my $15 cheapo is well into its second year and starting to disintegrate in my mouf

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
My gym is switching up a lot of things for this coming semester and one of those is that they start offering sambo classes. Now assuming I like it and decide to start attending those classes regurlarly, will I need to get a Sambo gi jacket, or will a regular jacket from a judo gi do?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

DekeThornton posted:

My gym is switching up a lot of things for this coming semester and one of those is that they start offering sambo classes. Now assuming I like it and decide to start attending those classes regurlarly, will I need to get a Sambo gi jacket, or will a regular jacket from a judo gi do?

Kurtka :eng101:

But yeah, a judo gi will be fine.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Cool, thanks. In case the sambo classes will require a jacket it seems like actual sambo jackets are hard to find here in Sweden.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
[s]

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Do you know how weird what you just said is

edit: and the no-gi brabo/d'arce is so awesome that I often forget that the gi version is even there

I'm the other way around, `when you posted that I facepalmed myself. I never call that a brabo choke but it is. I dont do enough nogi clearly

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Dumb kids in my muay thai class making fun of my barking and grunts and growling when kicking and kneeing. gently caress that poo poo I will do it forever since that's what we did in Thailand and it's fun, I don't care if I look stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Also I am a tough fight guy everyone

Winner.

• Locked thread