Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

They are not boxers fractures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dysgenesis posted:

They are not boxers fractures.

:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer's_fracture

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Hold on tight everyone, derail incoming.

The example on the Wikipedia page isn't a boxer's fracture either.

http://radiopaedia.org/articles/boxer-fracture-1

These are. A boxers fracture is a transverse metacarpal neck fracture, frequently with volar angulation and comminution, caused by axial compression. I have seen hundreds and never met a doctor who thinks it is any other bone than the fifth metatarsal.

What Kuvo has are spiral diaphyseal fractures of the third and fourth metacarpals which are caused usually by a twisting mechanism. Boxers fractures are stable and usually only need conservative management. Kuvi may well need surgery.

It's probably at this point I should mention that I an a radiologist, I reported 10,000 xrays in the last twelve month, including hundreds of hands and many fractures. Boxers or otherwise.

So these are the wrong bone, fractured in the wrong place, by the wrong mechanism and require different treatment. Also the picture in Wikipedia is bullshit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hunh. Maybe you should fix the wiki page, too :3:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Guys who smokes more weed, Bjj or Capoeira practitioners? Tia

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

niethan posted:

Obviously sexy dance fighters would smoke more.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dysgenesis posted:

Hold on tight everyone, derail incoming.

The example on the Wikipedia page isn't a boxer's fracture either.

http://radiopaedia.org/articles/boxer-fracture-1

These are. A boxers fracture is a transverse metacarpal neck fracture, frequently with volar angulation and comminution, caused by axial compression. I have seen hundreds and never met a doctor who thinks it is any other bone than the fifth metatarsal.

What Kuvo has are spiral diaphyseal fractures of the third and fourth metacarpals which are caused usually by a twisting mechanism. Boxers fractures are stable and usually only need conservative management. Kuvi may well need surgery.

It's probably at this point I should mention that I an a radiologist, I reported 10,000 xrays in the last twelve month, including hundreds of hands and many fractures. Boxers or otherwise.

So these are the wrong bone, fractured in the wrong place, by the wrong mechanism and require different treatment. Also the picture in Wikipedia is bullshit.

Interesting, thanks

e: "It should be noted that only a poorly thrown punch results in this type of fracture, and such injuries are actually uncommon in professional boxers who are taught to transfer as much power as possible through the second and third metacarpals 2,5." :laugh:

mewse fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 1, 2014

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

KildarX posted:

Obviously sexy dance fighters would smoke more.

I don't know man I hear BJJ guys do a lot of rolling.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

niethan posted:

Man, BJJ.

Capoeira practitioners (in Europe) are surprisingly often sort of... odd or weird nerds or goofballs who don't really do drugs/booze that much, even though they partake in their weird inbred culture ceremony of men and women of the group crisscrossing and taking turns loving each other and the local mestre :v:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Also sorry was about get back to this sooner, but:

ManOfTheYear posted:

I was slow when doing slips and bobbing and weaving because my stance was too wide - partly from karate and partly from combat sambo - and I always tried to step 45 degrees forward when slipping, because I wanted instictively to get in. When I realized I should only move my head and narrow my stance, I realized that this would be no good for combat sambo, because the narrow stance makes you weak for takedowns.

A low and wide stance is actually really good in boxing, especially fighting from up close... depending on your particular style, right? A low stance helps you keep your balance when throwing combinations or power punches (for normal persons, don't throw one punch at 100%, instead throw four at 40% and one at 100% if you ain't Roy Jones Jr.) but that is all completely dependent on your boxing style. But to find what works for you, you need to box for a bit first. Or more than a bit actually.

You do know, there are dozens of different boxing stances and arm positions and guards in boxing. Hundreds. Almost any of them can be made to work for you, if your body and technique etc. complement it.

quote:

I had fun and I'd like to put at least one boxing session to my week schedule, but I'm wondering if I will just pick bad habits from it. What do you guys think?

What are you aiming for is the question here? If you are a novice in three different martial arts, trying to practice all of them each week will probably disadvantage you. You'll be all messed up from your last practice in Judo when you go boxing, and then even more confused when you take a kickboxing lesson the day after. Guys or girls who are not in the freak 1% of athletes who learn everything in a jiffy just can't do that sort of training if they wish to improve as fast as possible.

The best way to learn the basics of something is to drop everything else - I know this sounds boring and a lot of people don't want to do it - but still do one martial art only for 3-4 months several times a week if you want to get the hang of it. Seriously. That said. If you are just trying stuff for fun and going to different gyms is a lifestyle of hobby and you don't aim to compete, who cares as long as you have fun?

Let's say you have a really long Combat Sambo history. You've been doing that for, say, five years seriously. Want to learn boxing? Then box only for a few months. You won't forget your Sambo but will probably improve your boxing quite a bit! But do boxing once a week with everything else, it will probably just confuse you. That said, once you get the basics of boxing drilled into you, however long it takes, 3 months, 1 year, the game changes. Then you can mix poo poo up in a new way.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
BJJ people - I'm after a new gi for competion, since my one is not comp-legal - crappy manufacturer patches in the wrong place. What should I look for - heavy or light? Single or double weave, or something else? Am I right in figuring light gis might be more suitable for training, but heavy would be more suitable for competition since they're harder to manipulate? I'd appreciate some recommendations. I wear an A3, if that matters at all.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Morning Bell posted:

but heavy would be more suitable for competition since they're harder to manipulate?
Yep. (that said I wear light gi's in competitions anyway)

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Morning Bell posted:

BJJ people - I'm after a new gi for competion, since my one is not comp-legal - crappy manufacturer patches in the wrong place. What should I look for - heavy or light? Single or double weave, or something else? Am I right in figuring light gis might be more suitable for training, but heavy would be more suitable for competition since they're harder to manipulate? I'd appreciate some recommendations. I wear an A3, if that matters at all.

Depends on the individual. I think pros favour light gis in BJJ because you have to be in the gi at the weight in. Just buy what you prefer. I personally love very thick and heavy gis, but some people find it hard to train in them (mostly because they are warmer).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
You're probably not going to ever win or lose a match because you were wearing one type of gi so just get what you find most comfortable.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You're probably not going to ever win or lose a match because you were wearing one type of gi so just get what you find most comfortable.

I slightly disagree, sure it's probably not going to be a huge factor in your victory, but I do feel like I do better when I wear my heavy gi vs my cheap light gi (I wear both in alternance). Breaking grips is much easier and it's quite a bit easier to resist lapel chokes. Sure I won't beat people better than me with a heavier gi and won't start losing against people worst than me, but I have a easier time with people around my skill level. I've noticed the same thing when other people switched from a light gi to a heavy gi.

Keep in mind though that heavy judogis tend to be much stiffer than heavy bjj gis so that might make a difference.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Ligur posted:

The best way to learn the basics of something is to drop everything else - I know this sounds boring and a lot of people don't want to do it - but still do one martial art only for 3-4 months several times a week if you want to get the hang of it. Seriously. That said. If you are just trying stuff for fun and going to different gyms is a lifestyle of hobby and you don't aim to compete, who cares as long as you have fun?

Thank you for the answer. I figured I should do something like this after that boxing session. The way we do combat sambo is really grappling centric - because that's what combat sambo is - so a lot of our stand up practice figuring out grips from different situations and how to close in via blocking, bobbing and weaving. You don't even get points from striking in it, only knockouts count and the points come from throws and pins. You can even get a total victory (ippon) from throwing the guy to the ground while you remain standing. Our striking is very much the basics, like the one-two combo and that's that. MMA is kind of an continuation of bjj, but combat sambo is an continuation of judo, so that's why I like it.

Going for a boxing mentality was just way too much, it goes so much againts at what I would do that just getting into that mindset would take 3-4 months. I just want to be a diverse fighter and I've got the grappling down pretty good after seven years of practice so I'd like to learn some stand-up too. I don't compete but I still would love to actually learn it. I think I will leave that for sometime in the near future when I can actually take my time with it.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Most of the time boxing doesn't work at all in kicking or grappling arts. All the slightly more advanced stances, slips, weaves and blocks just get you taken down or kicked in the leg (or even the face) in no time. But it teaches great punching technique and head movement that can be very useful in striking engagements at the same time. Definitely do it when you have a few months to stay focused on it.

Your Sambo is not going anywhere at this point, so you won't drop out of the curve or anything. Be a bit rusty maybe, is all, if you focus on something else for a while. And wouldn't it be fun to tag someone with a nice split second lead left hook, right cross and and an uppercut to set up a takedown...

And what is 3-4 months anyway?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Ligur posted:

Most of the time boxing doesn't work at all in kicking or grappling arts. All the slightly more advanced stances, slips, weaves and blocks just get you taken down or kicked in the leg (or even the face) in no time. But it teaches great punching technique and head movement that can be very useful in striking engagements at the same time. Definitely do it when you have a few months to stay focused on it.

Yeah, any specialized sport get's wrecked if you diversify the rules. I'd like to get a sense of good stand-up game and I'm not much of a kicker, so boxing feels a good choice. I tried a couple of sessions of muay thai earlier this year, but there's a lot of attention focused to the muay thai clinch and practicing that just feels weird: if you be allowed throws or takedowns, how effective that clinch would be? I continuously got a bodylock in MMA, combat sambo and sanda you see over- and underhooks besides the classic bodylock. Only going for the neck and pushing your hips forward just feels weird.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
So there's this guy who runs a "MMA and fitness center" near a place where I've been working. I drove by in the small town where it's located while getting groceries and decided to check it out, because if I could roll while I'm out of town working, then I'd be a happy man.

So I find the email on the business' facebook and shoot a message asking about pricing and info about whether they do BJJ instruction. The guys gets back to me, but there are some red flags (no drop-ins or 'punchcard' pricing, an annual fee for something called the "world traditional martial arts council" which appears to be a thing he created in 2011, he writes like Doobie, he offered to 'work out' a month-to-month fee for me) so I don't follow up but look the guy up, because I guess he's supposed to be a big deal in some obscure branches of traditional martial arts such as Seiryu kai Karate-Do, which has a wikipedia entry, but only in Esperanto. He states he is a certified Gracie instructor on his website, but he isn't listed as one on the gracie bjj website.

Also, this is the ground stuff he teaches I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RmnkBEDuGY

How typical is training like this in the martial arts scene? Is there any hope that it'd be worth my money to go here?

A Keg fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 3, 2014

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

A Keg posted:

How typical is training like this in the martial arts scene? Is there any hope that it'd be worth my money to go here?

a. Depressingly common and b. only if it's free and you value your time at a negative rate.

Okay, that's an exaggeration, I'm just bitter because I'm in a new town working weird hours and I haven't had time to scope out my options outside of the Shalin Kenpo Five Dragons in that strip mall down the road so I'm angry.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Keg posted:

So besides the shady business practices, did anything he show in that video[besides having the music over ride most everything he said] ping wrong? I'm new, but it seems right. [Single leg take down, mount Sweep , knee bar?]

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 3, 2014

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

KildarX posted:

So besides the shady business practices, did anything he show in that video[besides having the music over ride most everything he said] ping wrong? I'm new, but it seems right. [Single leg take down, mount Sweep , knee bar?]

Well he does William Regal's finishing move 3 seconds into the video, so there's that.

A Keg fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 3, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Keg posted:

Well he does William Regal's finishing move 3 seconds into the video, so there's that.

I said ping wrong, not ping awesome :colbert:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

KildarX posted:

"It's a calf lock" :lol:

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
That army crawl thing struck me as kind of weird. I guess it could be a warm up thing that they do. Other than that it looks like any other process. Start slowly, possibly in the air to make sure your form and technical stuff is good, then go work at a moderate pace with a partner. I don't know much judo/grappling stuff so I can't comment on the actual technical content, but I don't see a huge difference between that and any other youtube video where someone is explaining techniques.

The conflicting information over being Gracie certified is a red flag though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A Keg posted:

So there's this guy who runs a "MMA and fitness center" near a place where I've been working. I drove by in the small town where it's located while getting groceries and decided to check it out, because if I could roll while I'm out of town working, then I'd be a happy man.

So I find the email on the business' facebook and shoot a message asking about pricing and info about whether they do BJJ instruction. The guys gets back to me, but there are some red flags (no drop-ins or 'punchcard' pricing, an annual fee for something called the "world traditional martial arts council" which appears to be a thing he created in 2011, he writes like Doobie, he offered to 'work out' a month-to-month fee for me) so I don't follow up but look the guy up, because I guess he's supposed to be a big deal in some obscure branches of traditional martial arts such as Seiryu kai Karate-Do, which has a wikipedia entry, but only in Esperanto. He states he is a certified Gracie instructor on his website, but he isn't listed as one on the gracie bjj website.

Am I the only one that hates overweight instructors? Maybe I'm overreacting, but it seems that most terrible martial arts videos are done by fat instructors.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Buried alive posted:

I don't know much judo/grappling stuff so I can't comment on the actual technical content, but I don't see a huge difference between that and any other youtube video where someone is explaining techniques.
The instructor looks and moves like a 3 month white belt who he learned everything he knows from youtube so this is not a surprise. Avoid.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

The Fool posted:

Am I the only one that hates overweight instructors? Maybe I'm overreacting, but it seems that most terrible martial arts videos are done by fat instructors.

Some fat guys are legit good at their thing (Roy Nelson is a BJJ black belt under Renzo Gracie and also a fat gross idiot), but yeah, somebody whose entire career is built around teaching other people about physical activity should probably be in decent shape.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

Taratang posted:

The instructor looks and moves like a 3 month white belt who he learned everything he knows from youtube so this is not a surprise. Avoid.

The sweep and guard pass he is teaching in his video are both things from Renner/Ryron Gracie's youtube thing, so uh, lol

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

A Keg posted:

The sweep and guard pass he is teaching in his video are both things from Renner/Ryron Gracie's youtube thing, so uh, lol

Immediately after that they show one of the students sweeping their partner the wrong way without comment, which doesn't speak particularly well of him if he chose to include it on a video demonstrating his teaching

Also that footlock technique at 4:28 is brutally bad. Like I'm struggling to think of a single thing in it that he did correctly.

Also also re: chubby instructors, Liborio's got a middle-aged spread and Carlson was pretty chubby towards the end. Lots of dudes gain weight as they become instructors because they're teaching 50% of the time and training 50% of the time, and still eating like they were when they were training 100% of the time.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

A Keg posted:

The reversal to escape mount was fine. It is not complicated to teach and one of the first escapes white belts learn. The student doing it at 2:25 rolls in the wrong direction and they still included it in their promotional video.

edit: gently caress

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
its only OK to get fat once you have internalized grappling enough that you can barely extend your leg and trip/throw all the 20 year olds and then submit people via diaphragm smother while bitching about what terrible shape you're in.

...for real there is like 1 of those guys at brown/black belt in every gym I've ever visited. One guy would go take drinks of dr pepper in between rounds and then double knee ride you into a living death. I hope to one day gain 100 pounds and become the dream.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Isn't fat one of the belt requirements for judo? Jujutsu guys seem to be fit most of the time.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Yeah one of my favorite instructors growing up was built like that, big fat dude who could dance circles around you while chuckling and send you flying with a little "hup!"

Seems like a good time to post one of my current favorite vids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMKH1Y9jx7M

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

General Emergency posted:

Isn't fat one of the belt requirements for judo? Jujutsu guys seem to be fit most of the time.

It's more common in judo but I've seen some walrus guard players as well.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

A Keg posted:

It's worth it to take the time to find a good gym with an experienced, knowledgeable dude in charge. Both because you'll learn a lot even if you only go for a couple of months and because it is way, way better to not learn a bunch of bad habits up front.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Come back in 6 months with your tenth degree black belt and give us a trip report.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

The-Mole posted:

It's worth it to take the time to find a good gym with an experienced, knowledgeable dude in charge. Both because you'll learn a lot even if you only go for a couple of months and because it is way, way better to not learn a bunch of bad habits up front.

Yeah, I have a reputable/good gym at home already, but I was hoping to have somewhere near where I work to train at, as well. Oh well!

A Keg fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 3, 2014

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

On Gi chat, I've got a Fuji for training but if I'm competing I like to wear my Tatmi sub zero comp gi. It probably wouldn't hold up to rolling three or four times a week but it's nice and light so I don't have to skip breakfast before weigh ins to get under a limit or whatever, it's also really nice for those summer sessions when it's 33 degrees and it's too drat hot in the thick one.

Like this one http://www.tatamifightwear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SUBZERO

Like I said, not for every day use but people really struggle to get gi chokes on me when I wear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
My first skin infection! Nice! I guess this officially makes me a grappler :v:

Oh god my leg is on fire.

Edit: And I got a nice two week crazy strong antibiotic treatment and the words "If it gets any worse or you get a fever go to the ER right away"... Not so nice.

General Emergency fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 4, 2014

• Locked thread