Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fatherdog posted:

The part most people forget is planting the other hand, without which it's very difficult to destabilize someone with good base.

I thought I would mention that we repeated the technique in question today, and the instructor called it a lumberjack sweep. :shrug:

In other news, I was given my first stripe on my belt this evening. It's a small step but one I am proud to have made. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ok, my coach finally uploaded one of my two fights from the sanshou tournament. This was from back in early June:
https://www.facebook.com/jobart1/posts/10207212403248189
I'm in red. You can skip to :50s in.

Comments:
- the Chinese commands are KAISHI for start/resume and TING for stop.
- I gassed really fast in the first round. I think I just dieted too much in general and didn't mess with water weight on the last day (weighin the afternoon before), which left me underenergied
- the sense of distance from this perspective is so totally different from standing in there. The guy's opening 3-punch combo felt miles short, but gets flattened out at this angle.
- the sense of speed is also off -- things are variably faster or slower than I remembered them.
- I was on the defensive in most clinches. We're not the most grapply gym, and I'm one of the less grappling-capable. I was, as a certain Irish southpaw might put it, forced to be efficient with my energy
- those lead hooks at -8:01 and -7:59 felt really solid, but they don't look it. He adjusted his headgear after the second, and I thought he felt it. In general at this point, I felt like his striking was pretty primitive,
- which led to my naked headkick at -7:56. I didn't full commit to it, but it was pretty hard for me. Surprised that it landed clean.
- when he threw me at -7:47, I knew the edge was there, and tried to get us both off the leitai with his momentum. The ref's gesture there means no score. When I get up, you can see me try to shove down my chestguard, which was digging into my neck a bit.
- that lead kick he throws at -7:07 -- I'm almost positive that counts as a score. It's something I would think nothing of in sparring, but that's another reason to be used to scoring rules.
- when he pushes me off at -6:59, I was definitely surprised. Had mistracked how much space I had. You see the other ref running to me because I somehow managed to roll back off the yellow pad surrounding the leitai, which you can see is much more than one bodylength long.
- the other guy's coach is so agigated by his performance, yelling for combos, so I feel like I'm doing well with striking at this point and stick to what I'm doing, which is coming in on punches and tying up and stalling.
- by -6:15, all the juice has come out of my cross. I'm doing those teeps just to try to slow down the fight.
- so at -6:03, I try to pull away (in my head) on the scorecards with a leg reap, which is too weak and gets countered. The ref motions to me, grounded, and then puts his other arm over on top, meaning the other side scored the throw. Great, I just wasted all that energy to lose points
- scores: black, red, black, tie, black. My coach utters "bullshit!" when he hears it, but it seems reasonable to me, especially since I was just cruising the second half

- you can tell I come out way less actively in the 2nd round. The rest wasn't enough for me to get fresh.
- his rear hook on my chin at -3:52 really caught me good. Had to come back a bit in the clinch.
- my throw attempt at -3:04 is killing me. I'm pretty close but get reversed again
- -2:42 -- what the hell, I'll headkick again. He comes off it way better and tries to push me out, but I'm wise to it and just take both of us off
- the groin shot at -2:00 was the most confusing thing in this match. I thought it was pretty obvious, but didn't know what to do when the ref came over and starting giving me an 8-count. I told him it was a nut shot but honestly didn't know if it was going to be scored against me.
- scores: all for black

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 22, 2016

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

That was a pretty cool fight. Do you guys practice on the platform or do most gyms just have a line on the floor that says "pass this line is a pit." ?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KildarX posted:

That was a pretty cool fight. Do you guys practice on the platform or do most gyms just have a line on the floor that says "pass this line is a pit." ?

I think there's only one or two of those platforms in the US. We only have a ring in our gym (besides a cage wall divider and mat floors), so we started counting touching the ropes as ring outs. It definitely helped, but was different enough from the real thing that it didn't make things reflexive.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxsNIEz5uHo
I like that they're wearing clothes.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Siivola posted:

I like that they're wearing clothes.

Prude

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I just can't bear seeing all those chiseled abs I'll never have. :smith:

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

kimbo305 posted:

Ok, my coach finally uploaded one of my two fights from the sanshou tournament. This was from back in early June:

Comments:
- the Chinese commands are KAISHI for start/resume and TING for stop.
- I gassed really fast in the first round. I think I just dieted too much in general and didn't mess with water weight on the last day (weighin the afternoon before), which left me underenergied
- the sense of distance from this perspective is so totally different from standing in there. The guy's opening 3-punch combo felt miles short, but gets flattened out at this angle.
- the sense of speed is also off -- things are variably faster or slower than I remembered them.
- I was on the defensive in most clinches. We're not the most grapply gym, and I'm one of the less grappling-capable. I was, as a certain Irish southpaw might put it, forced to be efficient with my energy
- those lead hooks at -8:01 and -7:59 felt really solid, but they don't look it. He adjusted his headgear after the second, and I thought he felt it. In general at this point, I felt like his striking was pretty primitive,
- which led to my naked headkick at -7:56. I didn't full commit to it, but it was pretty hard for me. Surprised that it landed clean.
- when he threw me at -7:47, I knew the edge was there, and tried to get us both off the leitai with his momentum. The ref's gesture there means no score. When I get up, you can see me try to shove down my chestguard, which was digging into my neck a bit.
- that lead kick he throws at -7:07 -- I'm almost positive that counts as a score. It's something I would think nothing of in sparring, but that's another reason to be used to scoring rules.
- when he pushes me off at -6:59, I was definitely surprised. Had mistracked how much space I had. You see the other ref running to me because I somehow managed to roll back off the yellow pad surrounding the leitai, which you can see is much more than one bodylength long.
- the other guy's coach is so agigated by his performance, yelling for combos, so I feel like I'm doing well with striking at this point and stick to what I'm doing, which is coming in on punches and tying up and stalling.
- by -6:15, all the juice has come out of my cross. I'm doing those teeps just to try to slow down the fight.
- so at -6:03, I try to pull away (in my head) on the scorecards with a leg reap, which is too weak and gets countered. The ref motions to me, grounded, and then puts his other arm over on top, meaning the other side scored the throw. Great, I just wasted all that energy to lose points
- scores: black, red, black, tie, black. My coach utters "bullshit!" when he hears it, but it seems reasonable to me, especially since I was just cruising the second half

- you can tell I come out way less actively in the 2nd round. The rest wasn't enough for me to get fresh.
- his rear hook on my chin at -3:52 really caught me good. Had to come back a bit in the clinch.
- my throw attempt at -3:04 is killing me. I'm pretty close but get reversed again
- -2:42 -- what the hell, I'll headkick again. He comes off it way better and tries to push me out, but I'm wise to it and just take both of us off
- the groin shot at -2:00 was the most confusing thing in this match. I thought it was pretty obvious, but didn't know what to do when the ref came over and starting giving me an 8-count. I told him it was a nut shot but honestly didn't know if it was going to be scored against me.
- scores: all for black

You had some good exchanges. Nicely done. So you still thinking about venturing into grappling?

e: and yeah, that totally looked like a nut shot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bangkero posted:

So you still thinking about venturing into grappling?
As of right now, I'm thinking I'll see if I can get one more year. To be more serious about training and see how much I can improve. Losing was really good motivation to make myself be able to do better.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

For DC area goons - a top tier Japanese Judoka from Tokai University will be at Georgetown University the next 2 weeks. From what I've been told, he beat the 2016 Olympic Bronze Medalist at -100kg in a domestic tournament.

Practice will be from 730-930 Monday, Wednesday and Friday next 2 weeks in case you're interested.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Any tricks or things you can share for the days/weeks when motivation is lacking? I took the last week off from the gym to study for my series 7 even though I probably didn't strictly need to, now it's monday. I actually got dressed to go to the gym and was walking out the door and the feeling of 'oh gently caress this' that I'd been battling all day brought me back inside. What sucks is I'm out of excuses--the gym is right down the street, I've already got this time set aside, it's just hard to get my rear end on the mat. This is kind of a chronic thing. I'm on cloud 9 after the gym and really enjoy it while I'm there but I've got some weird mental thing about going.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Sharzak posted:

Any tricks or things you can share for the days/weeks when motivation is lacking? I took the last week off from the gym to study for my series 7 even though I probably didn't strictly need to, now it's monday. I actually got dressed to go to the gym and was walking out the door and the feeling of 'oh gently caress this' that I'd been battling all day brought me back inside. What sucks is I'm out of excuses--the gym is right down the street, I've already got this time set aside, it's just hard to get my rear end on the mat. This is kind of a chronic thing. I'm on cloud 9 after the gym and really enjoy it while I'm there but I've got some weird mental thing about going.

Have you ever been evaluated for ADD?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Sharzak posted:

Just make it a point to go for a couple of weeks. Then it'll be automatic, but just like anything it can be hard to make something a habit even if you enjoy it. Just say I'll go even when I don't want to no matter what for the next 14 days and then do it (or hate yourself if you don't!)

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Have you ever been evaluated for ADD?

yes I have pretty crazy ADD. They gave me some test I don't remember the name of and if you scored below a 16 you had it. I got a 4. My Vyvanse prescription is at the pharmacy right now but my insurance stopped covering it out of nowhere and it's $300 so I'm trying to get that figured out. I would be surprised to learn that ADD had to do with motivation, is that true?

KingColliwog posted:

Just make it a point to go for a couple of weeks. Then it'll be automatic, but just like anything it can be hard to make something a habit even if you enjoy it. Just say I'll go even when I don't want to no matter what for the next 14 days and then do it (or hate yourself if you don't!)

I was supposed to start that this week! I've had a membership since January and it is honestly pretty much a constant struggle to go, but I make it most of the time.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It could be an anxiety thing too, I sometimes get weird anxious hangups about going but it's always fine once I'm there

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Sharzak posted:

yes I have pretty crazy ADD. They gave me some test I don't remember the name of and if you scored below a 16 you had it. I got a 4. My Vyvanse prescription is at the pharmacy right now but my insurance stopped covering it out of nowhere and it's $300 so I'm trying to get that figured out. I would be surprised to learn that ADD had to do with motivation, is that true?

Yes, it's an executive functioning disorder, and motivation is a big part of executive functioning. What you're describing are pretty standard impairment symptoms, that's why I was able to guess you had ADD.

Do yourself the biggest favor of your life and educate yourself about your disorder, I'd recommend the books by Russell Barkley or Thomas E. Brown. You'll probably be quite surprised at how many aspects of your life are affected by it.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
So I have a funny problem - Muay thai makes me puke. A few times it’s been at the end of our regular striking class, which is mostly pad work and movement, and so not too big of a deal. Last week though I made my return to sparring after a long break and felt it welling up mid round, and after getting single legged had to hop up and suddenly run away while trying to give a thumbs up wearing boxing gloves, shedding pads in comedic fashion.

So my first thought is that I need to improve my cardio. Normally at the end of regular class it’s just because I’ve pushed myself really hard and have nothing left, so that’s understandable, but in the sparring class I wasn’t feeling so desperately gassed. I don’t recall taking any major body shots either. So exhaustion is probably one factor, but I’m sure nerves also played a role, and wearing a mouthpiece definitely makes things worse.

Grappling, wrestling rounds especially, has gotten me close to the vomit line a couple of times, but I’ve never crossed it. And in about 13 years of running it’s happened maybe once. But with striking and now sparring I fear it’s starting to become habitual. Is the only answer hill sprints and more sparring? I don’t really feel a huge cardio deficiency otherwise – I think I’m in decent shape and relatively efficient in my technique, and don’t really mind fighting gassed. But nothing forces me to slam the brakes like the prospect of barfing on my partner. I tend to eat a light snack in the hour or two before class after a big lunch earlier in the day, then sip a water or coconut water during. Sometimes I’ll manage a banana or bar in between classes, but I usually don’t feel like it or forget. So, what can be done here?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Any advice on treating tennis elbow? I picked up a sleeve for it, but if anything my arm seems to be hurting even more now. Other than staying off of it (which I'll try, but I'm a chef so it's hard to use just one arm at a time) is there anything else I can do? Exercises? Medication? Thanks in advance for any information.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Any advice on treating tennis elbow? I picked up a sleeve for it, but if anything my arm seems to be hurting even more now. Other than staying off of it (which I'll try, but I'm a chef so it's hard to use just one arm at a time) is there anything else I can do? Exercises? Medication? Thanks in advance for any information.

http://antranik.org/tennis-elbow/

Everything you need

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

That Thera-Band recommended in the article saved my elbow. Whenever it flairs up, I use that for a few days and I'm all set.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Decades posted:

So I have a funny problem - Muay thai makes me puke. A few times it’s been at the end of our regular striking class, which is mostly pad work and movement, and so not too big of a deal. Last week though I made my return to sparring after a long break and felt it welling up mid round, and after getting single legged had to hop up and suddenly run away while trying to give a thumbs up wearing boxing gloves, shedding pads in comedic fashion.

So my first thought is that I need to improve my cardio. Normally at the end of regular class it’s just because I’ve pushed myself really hard and have nothing left, so that’s understandable, but in the sparring class I wasn’t feeling so desperately gassed. I don’t recall taking any major body shots either. So exhaustion is probably one factor, but I’m sure nerves also played a role, and wearing a mouthpiece definitely makes things worse.

Grappling, wrestling rounds especially, has gotten me close to the vomit line a couple of times, but I’ve never crossed it. And in about 13 years of running it’s happened maybe once. But with striking and now sparring I fear it’s starting to become habitual. Is the only answer hill sprints and more sparring? I don’t really feel a huge cardio deficiency otherwise – I think I’m in decent shape and relatively efficient in my technique, and don’t really mind fighting gassed. But nothing forces me to slam the brakes like the prospect of barfing on my partner. I tend to eat a light snack in the hour or two before class after a big lunch earlier in the day, then sip a water or coconut water during. Sometimes I’ll manage a banana or bar in between classes, but I usually don’t feel like it or forget. So, what can be done here?

I get this too. I don't think it's really a matter of fitness. For me I'm pretty certain it's from drinking water during or right before the intense parts of practice. If I swallow even a couple ounces of water then jump back in I get a bit barfy a couple minutes later. Maybe try to stay generally well hydrated, especially practice days. During practice if you get thirsty rinse and spit water but try not to swallow any.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

ihop posted:

I get this too. I don't think it's really a matter of fitness. For me I'm pretty certain it's from drinking water during or right before the intense parts of practice. If I swallow even a couple ounces of water then jump back in I get a bit barfy a couple minutes later. Maybe try to stay generally well hydrated, especially practice days. During practice if you get thirsty rinse and spit water but try not to swallow any.

I wanted to try this and report back. Jiu jitsu went long and the sparring class didn't happen this time, but hydrating before then sticking to the tiniest of sips went well. I'll watch out for that in the future.

More importantly, got my first stripe on my blue belt! Freakin finally, I've had that belt for over three years I think. Kind of assumed my school stopped giving out stripes to blues honestly, as I hadn't remembered anyone else getting one in over a year either, and we didn't really do stripes at white belt.

So am I not allowed to wash this belt again now? Do I carefully remove and replace the piece of tape each time? If I lose the tape does it count as a demotion?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Decades posted:

I wanted to try this and report back. Jiu jitsu went long and the sparring class didn't happen this time, but hydrating before then sticking to the tiniest of sips went well. I'll watch out for that in the future.

More importantly, got my first stripe on my blue belt! Freakin finally, I've had that belt for over three years I think. Kind of assumed my school stopped giving out stripes to blues honestly, as I hadn't remembered anyone else getting one in over a year either, and we didn't really do stripes at white belt.

So am I not allowed to wash this belt again now? Do I carefully remove and replace the piece of tape each time? If I lose the tape does it count as a demotion?

:barf: Please wash your belt.

e. grats.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 1, 2016

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Sums up my recent contributions to this thread on several levels

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I was on probation when this was posted but congrats, you looked sharp. I forget what my other comments would have been other than it looked like a well run tournament with good reffing.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Decades posted:

Wash your belt and re-tape it if it falls off. Also do one hundred burpees for every time you have to do this in penance. Oss.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I have washed my belt (along with my gi) after every single session, white through black, and I have never once had a stripe fall off.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Crossposting from the grappling thread:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

A cool article about my old teammate and coach Reilly Bodycomb's experience winning the sambo Pan Ams in Paraguay last week: http://www.invertedgear.com/blogs/inverted-gear-blog/watching-sambo-panams-and-sipping-terere-in-paraguay

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Since you had helpful suggestions re: actual tennis elbow earlier in the thread, I'll ask a stupid recovery question:

I got sorta injured (it wasn't a dramatic thing with a ton of pain involved, so I hesitate to call it an injury) many months ago and didn't think much of it at the time, and the x-ray guy who I went to last week actually described it as something akin to tennis elbow. He wasn't super talkative or helpful, but recommended I definitely don't grapple or do excercise with it unless I could avoid making 'sudden moves', since apparently it's easy to tear or something. My issue is that my tennis elbow is in my hip (or in the muscles/joints that run from my thigh and up to my hip). Every time I feel like it might be getting better, something unavoidable like walking up too many stairs, carrying groceries or whatever seems to reaggravate it. It doesn't impact my day-to-day life at all outside of being annoying, but I trained with it when it felt like this around 4 months ago and had my hip feel like it blew out just from sprawling, so I'm weary of going back. Is there a specific type of exercise that might help it heal, or should I just wait around and hope my body decides to cooperate again someday?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

See a physio? Curious that it would show up on a X-ray and that the radiologist would offer rehab advice.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

See a physio? Curious that it would show up on a X-ray and that the radiologist would offer rehab advice.

I only speak and type in broken English, so it's possible that what I thought would translate to x-ray is actually called something different in proper English. To specify: The x-ray guy literally rubbed some weird goo on my leg, then ran some kind of remote control-looking device (which allowed him to see a scan of what was going on in there) up and down my leg until he found the afflicted areas. He knew the injury came from martial arts, and just offered sorta disinterested advice, saying that I could -try- to exercise or do martial arts but that one wrong move could gently caress the injury up real bad.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Skjorte posted:

I only speak and type in broken English, so it's possible that what I thought would translate to x-ray is actually called something different in proper English. To specify: The x-ray guy literally rubbed some weird goo on my leg, then ran some kind of remote control-looking device (which allowed him to see a scan of what was going on in there) up and down my leg until he found the afflicted areas. He knew the injury came from martial arts, and just offered sorta disinterested advice, saying that I could -try- to exercise or do martial arts but that one wrong move could gently caress the injury up real bad.

Right, that's an ultra-sound scan. While they may be able to determine that it's damage, they are still not qualified to give re-hab advice. You need specific strengthening/stretching exercises and you need to get them from a sports doctor/physio.

EricD
Sep 1, 2016
So, does anyone else here practice HEMA?

Historical European Martial Arts. Medieval fencing and that sort of stuff. I've been practicing with longsword and sword and buckler for the last six years, interested in finding out if anyone else on SA is into HEMA and, if so, how long have you been practicing and what branch do you follow? I'm a fan of the German longsword and MS I.33 sword and buckler materials myself.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Most of the HEMA goons are hanging out in here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693186

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
HEMA is such an interesting idea and I don't mind when people are talking about it but actually seeing it in action is really bad.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I went to a couple HEMA classes with a friend who owns his own gear and such, and it was actually interesting to see how the different attacks work and fit together, but I didn't find it was fun enough to pursue long term.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

fatherdog posted:

I have washed my belt (along with my gi) after every single session, white through black, and I have never once had a stripe fall off.

Really? Do you hand wash it? I always lose my stripes almost immediately. I tend to just leave them off until promotion/seminar time comes around again or I'd always be replacing stripes. Everyone knows where everyone else in the gym belongs anyway, so I don't worry about the stripe level on my belt being off.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Really? Do you hand wash it?

Nope. Front-loading washing machine.

EricD
Sep 1, 2016

Novum posted:

HEMA is such an interesting idea and I don't mind when people are talking about it but actually seeing it in action is really bad.

May I ask why you think that is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

EricD posted:

May I ask why you think that is?

fatties swinging like bums

• Locked thread