Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Senor P. posted:

What is the best way to teach someone to keep their chin tucked in the shortest period of time?

Well I had a similar issue and was taught to keep my gaze at my opponent's chest/shoulder height (i.e. slightly down). From there, that gives you enough peripheral vision to pick up on what his hands and feet are doing. Was a pretty quick fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KidDynamite posted:

It's even more satisfying in sparring. Oh god I need to spar I miss it so much.

I know what you mean. Just sparred with my coach today for the first time in 2+ years and it was so exhilarating even though I got just 3 clean hits in the whole session

So happy that I went 6 rounds without gassing out :dance:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
So I go to a boxing gym 3x a week; it's anything from sparring to anaerobic circuit stuff to bag / pad work. My trainer thinks it's not necessary to lift weights and that I should restrict myself to cardio on off days.

Do you guys incorporate lifting into your weekly routines at all?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Xguard86 posted:

also, in my area, se habla espanol? no? *hand motions to describe all training activities*

When I was in LA I tolerated that for a year. It stopped working because there's no way to learn the subtler points and then you get frustrated.

e: But I did learn how to count from 1 to 10 so there's that :)

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 11, 2013

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

He looks so relieved to have won :3:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Doing a lot more sparring these days and my coach is recommending that I get headgear that has a bar across the face (mine has regular cheek pads). He says the pros all use them these days. Does it really make that much of a difference?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

HondaCivet posted:

This post feels a little weird to write but here goes . . . How do you guys stay consistent with training when sadbrains poo poo is going on in your life? I've been battling depression and anxiety . . .

When I'm upset or depressed I try all the more to focus on whatever technique or thing that I'm doing in the gym. There is literally nothing else that I care about when I'm there. Problems will come and go, but the gym is a constant. Also I am working towards my first fight, in maybe February, and it's great to have a concrete goal like that to focus on.

Also have you tried mindfulness techniques? It sounds really trivial, but it's helped me a lot. Just sit in a comfortable chair, close your eyes, and focus your attention on your breathing. When your attention inevitably wanders, bring it back without judgement. Do this for at least 10-12 minutes

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

kimbo305 posted:

Is the FG5000 worth $400? For me, yes. The extra face protection is worth the weight.
Cool thanks. I have the FG2900 but might switch

HondaCivet posted:

Mindfulness is cool and I should try it again/try to stick with it this time. I don't know why setting aside 20 minutes a night is so complicated. :smith:
Do it the lazy way - sitting up in bed as you're about to sleep. Less of a mental hurdle to get over

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

kimbo305 posted:

Try Gladiator mouthguards. $95 for the most gel. I prefer mine to my dentist made one.

Oh this is timely; was just thinking of getting one from my dentist. How long did it take them to send you the final mouthguard after you sent in the impression? Is it possible to trim it yourself if it's too large?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
In a similar vein, I'm in a situation where I'm sparring regularly with someone who's a lot better than me (a pro with like 15+ fights; I have zero lol). It tends to go OK for a round or two then I get clocked hard and things degenerate from there. Like forget everything we've been working on for the past month and go into survival mode.

My coach keeps saying it's because I'm not fluid/relaxed enough and should chill out but it's hard to. This is especially frustrating because things are just not clicking and it's been like this for a while, like I'm on the verge of understanding something but it's just beyond my reach. Is this something that just comes with more experience? What did you guys do to find a way out of this mental state?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
After a few hard sparring sessions I have a bunch of bruises on my face and people at work are commenting :gonk:

Do you guys know how to get rid of bruises (apart from turning my face into one giant bruise hurr)? Does ice work?

e> I really need to get headgear with the face bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Anyone else have a horrible gag reflex?

I had a problem with that for years and tried many of the things people have suggested. As it turned out the root cause of that hypersensitivity was acid reflux. When I got that fixed, the gagging went away completely

• Locked thread