Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Hey, i go out to travel for a few weeks and you guys make a new thread! I like the OP except there should be a bolded "WE'RE GOING TO TELL YOU TO TRAIN JUDO AND/OR BOXING" surrounded by sirens right at the top.

I could write up something on MMA if no-one else is willing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

most diversions and games in human lives are imitations or abstractions of fighting

we just like cutting out the middleman

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

i could do without the black eyes though

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Adolfo Castro posted:

Blood for the blood god.

Dominance competition tomorrow. Shoulder/neck is still busted, but I think chances of anyone there tomorrow reading this thread and recognizing me are slim. Should be fun, second somebody has a cross face, I'll need to tap. Haven't trained in 3 weeks and slightly drunk. Let's roll. :banjo:
This post is so goddamn manly it made a beer crack itself open in my fridge. :yarr::hf::cheers:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Adolfo Castro posted:

Got a prolapsed disk in the neck.
That... is loving horrible :(

I hope things work out

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Thoguh posted:

I have a hot pink belt that a bunch of the girls in my college club made and gave me. I still have no idea why.
You still have it because that's ballin' as hell :frogc00l:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

niethan posted:

I wanna see a gi in this style

There is always http://www.happykimonos.com/.

I swear i'm going to try tie dying my own kimono some day.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Chokeslam posted:

too late, one of our guys has done it already :)

That is loving fantastic and i don't care how many people get their knickers in a twist about it

(ask him for instructions how to do that)

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

zalmoxes posted:

I bruised a rib in judo class and everything hurts tonight, including taking a breath.
If you have any trouble breathing get to a doctor now now now

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Train MMA for the first time in months due to a broken knuckle.

End training by punching straight into partner's elbow :v:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I love passing off common sense as if it's advice. Sucks about your knuckles! I've only ever broken toes in sparring and that sucked horribly; can't imagine knuckles.
It's only the middle knuckle on my left. It didn't really bother my everyday life (Aside for not being able to train strikes) and luckily it didn't break again today.

The way it broke originally was really retarded. I planned to punch this one guy enough to make him put his guard up so i could go for the double leg.
So i hit him with a one-two, he shells up and i throw the most ridiculous uppercut anyone's ever seen up into his elbow.
I did get the takedown but turns out it's loving hard to wrestle when your hand is busted :argh:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

aendarasi posted:

p.s. I could write up a wushu section for the thread, I'm pretty new at it at only one year of training, but I have a decent handle on the basics. Is there any interest?
Please do. I have no clue about CMA's except many of them involve silk pajamas

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Himuro posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj0UoiW6Qn4&feature=fvst

Look at that stance :gonk: Does that have ANY practical use?
Girl's got a dynamite butt so i guess it's got some use.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

A week later, I was doing some bag work at the gym. My shin wasn't swollen, it wasn't visibly bruised and it wasn't hurting at all doing regular activity, so I throw one kick at the heavy bag and horrible sharp pain ensued on my shin. No more kicks that day, shin swells up.

Is it the bone that's hurting or the muscle?

A hematoma inside the tibialis anterior muscle isn't dangerous but it hurts like gently caress and it takes forever to heal.

If it's the bone that's hurting, doctor time.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Had the best MMA session in months. A friendly Judo player footswept my rear end a couple of times before saying that he thinks my stance is too long. I tried out a shorter, wider stance and lo and behold a lot of poo poo became easier to do. Wrestling, checking kicks, throwing right hands, lateral movement... All that was missing was a loving levelup sound.

Sometimes life is good.

CaptainScraps posted:

I sat there poking it for a while yesterday. The bone itself doesn't hurt-- the pain feels like it's either in or under the muscle. It's still a little swollen but it matches up with a hematoma. If it's still here in two weeks, doctor time.
Sounds like a good plan. It's bizarre how much it hurts though. Breaking my hand was loving peanuts compared to that loving shin pain :psyduck:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Osoto Gari arrived in the mail today.
This is the best mental image. Like play-by-mail chess but with more concussions

doop doop doop just checking the mail OH gently caress

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how blue my belt is.
This should go in the OP

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

what's with jui jitsu dudes and never shaving.
When you grow beard

You grow jujitsu.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiR25MgYlTM

a magic happens

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

So, it seems like a martial arts class could be pretty great for me. I want to get fit, and my friends who do BJJ say it's awesome for them. HOWEVER, I worry that I am too out of shape to actually begin- like, I would need to increase my base level of fitness to not get laughed out of the class/beaten savagely. This is PROBABLY all in my head, but it would be nice to get some insiders' perspectives on this. If I show up to, say, a beginner's BJJ class, will they turn me away/expect more of me than my body can give?
You should give it a try. Nobody is going to force you to bust yourself up but i'll bet you'll find you've got a much more to give than you think you do.

You'll have soreness in places you never knew existed after the first few times but it's definitely worth it.

(It's also great fun)

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Note to fightgoons:

Having martial arts experience makes getting a bouncer job really easy. This doesn't mean it's a good idea to actually do it.

Sure the pay can be pretty nice but drunk people are weeeeeeiiiirrrddddd

edit: Also learn to wrestle. It's p. useful.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Ligur posted:

You get bouncer jobs through friends, not ads. A friend has a friend who works the door and needs someone to cover a few shifts, or you are on talking terms with a local barkeep and it comes up he needs someone on the door next Saturday but the regular guy left town or is in in jail/hospital or something.
This is p. much how it usually works.

Also there are companies that usually organize security for festivals and the better class of night clubs, might be worth checking up if there's any of those around. I got in this way and the pay is pretty good too.

By the way did you know it's pretty hard to put pants on a man who doesn't want to wear pants. At least i think there's no move for that in BJJ.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Do you know what sucks.

What sucks is when you learn a new leg lock and try to do it in sparring and forget you're actually sparring MMA. So you go for the leg and get punched in the face :mad:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

brouce lle had aprehensile penis he could win any grapplematch with it

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Syphilis Fish posted:

Keep using your judo terms.
Seconded.

People saying "I made an ippongari ouchimata" or whatever is ultimately more descriptive than going "I THREW A MANS FROM THE LAPEL". As long as you don't completely succumb to language-wankery like calling punching atemi because what the gently caress is up with that :mad:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Yuns posted:

Sorry to change subjects from the awesome genetic potential of goons, but I just wanted to say that I am now a brown belt in diseased pajama hugging. Now who wants to get in my guard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP322FWfJWQ

Congrats dude!

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

What are little BJJ girls made of?
Elbows and knees,
And moves that cause men unease
That's what little BJJ girls are made of.

Jesus christ i'm glad i wore a cup

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Ugh.
First migraine in years and it robs me of two training sessions off a BJJ seminar. :argh:
Sauli Heilimö might not be the most glamorous fighter out there but god drat he's a good teacher.

:stare:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Today i met a pretty boxer girl in MMA practice. I taught her how to shoot and she broke my big toe doing it.

Baby, why you gotta treat me so bad :mad:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Question:

I started running intervals again when i realized my cardio went to poo poo over the summer and while the actual running is all fine and dandy i get absolutely splitting headaches afterwards.

No such thing in other training, just after running. The internet tells me to drink water and eat right but it's not helping much.

edit: poo poo, i just realized i should have went and asked this in the W&W running thread :doh:

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 1, 2011

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Xandu posted:

W&W will probably know more, but how hot is it when you're running outside? Very hot weather has been associated with exercise-induced headaches.
It's been somewhere between 15C to 25C when i've been running. Sort of counts as hot around here but hardly a heat wave.

Might be a sleep issue too? I've been working nights and flipped my sleep cycle completely around for a couple of months.

VVVV Done that. Maybe i'm just not drinking enough?

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 1, 2011

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

People need to post more of their ridiculous cardio workouts.

Also I'm planning to not cut at all for my 160lb match. It's amateur/short so it's no real problem, but I'd rather be more cut and light when I step into the ring anyway.

For actual competitors, is this a bad idea?
How much do you weigh walking around? Kinda depends on that.

If i feel like i should up my cardio training i do this:

Run up to the ski jumping hill at Puijo.
The run up and down the stairs that lead to the towers until i feel like puking.
Then run back home.

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 1, 2011

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

I wish there was a WMA club around here. I sort of want to try swinging a sword around :(

Ligur posted:

What the gently caress dude, you are not running up those :haw:
TBH we don't do it often because it is exactly as ridiculous as it looks. It's mostly when our coach is pissed and can't be arsed to think of a new training circuit.

Back when KuPS used to win games running up The Stairs was a routine workout for them.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Pyle posted:

http://savonmiekka.net/

One practice group of The School of European Swordsmanship in Kuopio. Link is in Finnish only, so I cannot ask WMA practitioner's opinion.
what

what

I guess there's no need to advertise their existence too much but damnit, i had no idea. Thank you for this

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 8, 2011

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

I nailed a flying triangle today. This. This is what a man should feel like.

mewse posted:

go to a gym and learn technique.
Seconding this. Training alone is counterproductive.

edit: here is a great video showing every strike you'll ever need

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 15, 2011

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

willie_dee posted:

fightin
You did well not to escalate further. You're unscathed and he looked silly so all's well.

Ligur posted:

one legged squats
my god

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Interesting times.

Working as a bouncer you could sort of expect a few fights but as an nurse intern? Not so much.
I had to grapple with a sixty-year old schizophrenic who decided to wash down his meds with hand sanitizer. I ended up taking double underhooks and pinning him into the nearest wall while screaming for the other nurses.

I also started training Judo, mostly because it's the only gym in town, but also because they're not bad at all. I keep getting thrown :mad:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

origami posted:

In BJJ, why is the thumb not used when gripping your opponent's wrist?
I've always done it like that to prevent my thumb from being wrenched too far in the wrong direction if the opponent gets enough leverage to jerk his arm away.

NovemberMike posted:

Oh wow, I just had a dream where I was trying to put an ankle lock on someone but when I extended my body there was still a ton of wiggleroom and I couldn't tighten it up and he wouldn't tap. It was like the equivalent of the "naked public speaking" dream. Anyone else get weird martial arts dreams?
I once dreamed i was fighting a dude who was tattooed full of binary code and all my punches went through his head.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Thoguh posted:

I want to grow up and be Toshihiko Koga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6i3WaVNpGM

I wanna grow up to be like Pat Barry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Pooned posted:

Grow?
Fat.

• Locked thread