Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
A few comments on Aikido; I trained in it for four years back in my college days. It was one of the best things I ever did for myself.

I like how Aikido was classified in the OP, a performance discipline.

In four years, training 2-3 days a week, I never learned to be an rear end-kicking machine; nor did I ever want to be one.
What I did learn though was more of a philosophy, a way of being and walking through life. There was plenty of cool poo poo and exercise too.

What I learned was breathing, walking, being calm in mind and body, relaxing, and facing conflict with love in your heart. These were lessons I could take off the mat, into my every day life. These are lessons that have served me in work, friendships, and confrontations for the last 16 years. That is why I love Aikido. I still do my turning exercises in the living room to this day.

The best advice I can offer anyone that is looking to pursue a martial art, is to be humble. Subject yourself sincerely to what the teacher and school is offering. Don't judge, don't critique. It may take years for the lessons to make sense. If you're not comfortable with what you are submitting to, then maybe it is not the school or discipline that is appropriate for you. Feel free to shop around. There are lots of arts, schools, and teachers out there. Find one that suits what you are looking for.

Edit: Xguard86, thanks for considering my words for addition to the OP and adding them. When someone wants to learn a MA there can be a thousand different reasons, and I'm glad to see the thread will gladly regard them all. And high-fives to any aikidoka that show up in the thread.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread