Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gix
May 18, 2008

Hail Eris.
Everything changes.
Keep me in flux.
I am the calm center of Chaos.
All hail Discordia.
I am not going to respond to that post with anything about wearing turtle shells or locking my energy up in chi-spirit-cuffs. I am NOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gix
May 18, 2008

Hail Eris.
Everything changes.
Keep me in flux.
All hail Discordia.
The stats might have changed with BJJ becoming more popular, but the last time I saw a study, highest injury rates for martial arts in the USA were in Aikido, because of joint locks and rolling and the like. Most of the striking arts were fairly low on the list, except I think TKD, because jumping kicks mess people up.

I suppose that if everyone's at the same level, it's all good. But a messed up lock or a throw is going to hurt a lot more than a messed up strike (unless said strike also hits and eye or an ear or whatever.)

Be safe, kids.

Gix
May 18, 2008

Hail Eris.
Everything changes.
Keep me in flux.
All hail Discordia.
What is a "mma stance"? I thought that the whole point of mma was to mix it up and use whichever stylistic aspects work best for you.

I'm coming mostly from a Karate background here, if any terms relevant to that discipline are useful.

Gix
May 18, 2008

Hail Eris.
Everything changes.
Keep me in flux.
All hail Discordia.
It's a lifetime sport, man, regardless of your style. You make it sound like having punch form "ingrained" happens easily, or is an overnight and a constant. It isn't, and being able to throw a punch isn't the same as sparring safely.

You train for three months, awesome, you can throw a punch well. Can you do it when you're tired? When you're hopping away from someone? When you're trying to dodge a grapple? When your sweat is in your eyes? When you're caught off-balance between steps or moves?

If the answer is "no" to any of those, then you should be extremely careful with your sparring. You can hurt yourself, you can hurt other people. And you definitely will if you're so impatient.

6 months is nothing. Take the long view. Get your basics down, then start worrying about the infinite permutations of sparring.

(And on a personal note, I take karate, and just began doing light sparring stuff after three months of classes. And that's fairly light, and what I'm working on has a lot less heavy contact than MT)

Gix
May 18, 2008

Hail Eris.
Everything changes.
Keep me in flux.
All hail Discordia.
I'm mid-twenties and a teacher; currently have a free summer! Whoo!

I train with my teachers for three 2ish hours sessions a week, I train on my own for probably 5-10 hours a week, I lift and I run three times a week or more.

It's a lot for me, since I'm making up for spending most of my life as a fat gently caress, and it's really draining and sore. I'm doing Karate and Kobudo, so while it's intense there isn't much physical damage to recover from. Nobody's punching me in the head repeatedly.

I'm lucky in that I can make my job for the summer to get in shape and learn some poo poo.

• Locked thread