Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Admirable Gusto posted:

After a few hard sparring sessions I have a bunch of bruises on my face and people at work are commenting :gonk:

Do you guys know how to get rid of bruises (apart from turning my face into one giant bruise hurr)? Does ice work?

e> I really need to get headgear with the face bar

Witch Hazel works really well at minimizing bruises. Soak a cotton pad and rub it on a few times a day to help reduce bruising. Arnica gel can help, too, much in the same way. Anti-inflammatories (advil, ibuprofen, NOT Aspirin) can also help.

I also tend to ice right after I get popped and am bruising, and then follow up with heat on subsequent days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah, I already cut the back centimeter or so off. Maybe I just need to wear it more to get used to it. Thanks guys.

Are you breathing through your mouth or through your nose? I sometimes get a gagging sensation when I start breathing in through my mouth vs my nose when I have my mouthguard in.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

I think I'm going to get him some sort of gift down the road but I have no idea what you would get someone like that. I'll probably ask you guys later on when I do it.

The best gift you can give him is showing up to class, doing your best and enjoying the gently caress out of the classes. It sounds cheesy, but if he's anything like my instructors and coaches, knowing that you're getting positive life changes out of what he's offering will be worth a ton.

Stick with it, don't stress if you miss some classes due to having a low week, and just keep at it.

And if you really want to get him something, a card and a gift certificate to a top notch steakhouse would probably be a cool gift. Dude's gotta eat, right?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

I think a gift certificate for him and his wife might be a good gift. I just have to find a good place in town that he likes. It will probably be a while though. He started up his own cage fighting thing and we have 9 guys out of 14 fights on November 8th. It's called Wisconsin Xtreme Cagefighting or something like that. I'm going to try to not to drink until then. I think this will be the 3rd event. I haven't missed one yet and it just wouldn't be the same not drinking at one.

Edit - I ran that by my mom and she thinks that would put him in an awkward situation. I'm not sure I agree. I just want to show my appreciation in someway how he is truly changing my life and helping me with my mental health. Uhg. :suicide:

I'm friends with someone who owns and operates their own school and she gets a lot of little gifts from parents of students and from adult students. Maybe if the gym is super macho or something it might be weird, but it seems like it isn't, so what the hell.

That could be something to help motivate you to keep going to class: come up with a milestone that you'd like to accomplish (new belt level, nailing some combo or submission or something in class, etc.) and when you get to it, just give him your gift and thank him. It sounds like you've got some very serious issues and I think your situation is a little unique, so I don't think it'd be weird at all.

And keep going to class! And eating well and minimizing your drinking! That's the biggest thing you can do to show your gratitude: keep improving and bettering yourself.

Novum posted:

It's terrifying that a goon's life depends on Ben Rothwell's continued success at fighting.

This, also, haha. :)

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

You guys are all right. I am kinda hosed up. You should see the list the VA has on my diagnosis-es? and reason I'm 100% disabled. It's a page long of crazy poo poo I don't even remember doing. Like persistent danger of hurting others and self. Delusions or hallucinations, etc. WTF?

I don't really have a life right now and my main goal IN my lovely life is to get stable. I can't work, I do nothing all day, and all I'm trying to do is stay out of trouble and somewhat sane and positive. Obviously the alcohol needs to go because that has been involving the police and hospitals more and more frequently due to suicide attempts and general buggery.

Most importantly, Ben happens to be the biggest role model I have in my life right now, and as sad as that is, he (unknowingly) is truly helping me to make changes. It gives me a reason to wake up everyday which I loathe as I lie in bed. I slept 18 hours two days ago and 12 yesterday. I've got nothing... but MMA.

I know it seems like I'm some pathetic weirdo (I am), but if you met me in person you'd think I'm 100% normal. I'm not a normal goon. I'm not super fat; I'm about 195 and 5'10.5" with very little muscle though. I shave occasionally. I bathe. I can carry on a normal conversation. I have a sense of humor. I hate anime. I just have a serious mental disease. And right now I'm working very hard to get some positive things in my life. MMA, so far, is the most positive thing I have and I want to work harder at attending more and getting better and better. I don't think I'll have the stability to join the fight team but I might eventually do some BJJ tournaments in the far future. I normally have none, but there is always hope that I can improve myself and at least be able to live a somewhat normal life.

I know that I tell you guys a lot of boring and personal bullshit, but it helps a little to talk about the only thing I have right now, and I appreciate you guys not kicking me out of here yet.

Edit - Thanks for the advice Perdido

No worries man. It's been cool to read some of your posts talking about your struggles and dealing with your personal issues here in a way that a lot of Goons really don't, so props to you for trying to deal with some serious poo poo in your life as best you can. I can't imagine it's easy, given the severity of it all.

One thing I haven't really noticed you talk about is your diet. If you're looking for another way to utilize your time, look at ways you can improve your eating habits. It's probably a seriously minor, almost inconsequential thing in regards to addressing your issues, but it might help with the lethargy you're feeling and get you out of bed.

But keep up with the training and do your best with it. And don't beat yourself up, man! Yeah, you might be hosed up (who isn't, these days?), but there's nothing sad about having a goddamned UFC fighter as a role model (unless it's someone like Matt Hughes) or weird about having a boner for martial arts.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

I've just been trying to adjust my diet slightly without recording it. Trying to make healthier choices and such. I need to lose fat for sure and definitely need to put on some muscle. My punches are weak but my kicks are somewhat ok in regards to power. Strength training just seems like such a commitment. I mean, it's not like I don't have the time but I find it very boring and the payoff takes a long time so I don't know what to do about that. I do need SOME sort of workout plan for sure though. Be it weights or calisthenics or cardio.

Weight training will help with that, for sure, but in class it's better to focus on technique, IMO. I get what you say about weight lifting...maybe you just need to find a program or exercises that work for you. Awesome to hear you're posting over in YLLS (or were!), though I don't think you have to keep a log or anything.

My routine is basically Muay Thai/BJJ Mondays/Wednesdays, with the odd class on Fridays when I can make it. I also do some training with my friend whose school I work/train at during the day. Cycling on Tuesdays/Thursdays and then weight training Sunday/Monday and Wed/Thurs. I have a pretty flexible schedule despite working two jobs and my free time is pretty much spent eating.

Actually excited for Friday...my BJJ instructor is doing a free roll that he put together with another school. I haven't done anything in BJJ with people who don't train at my school, so I'm psyched for it. Probably going to get rolled up and tied into knots as I think I'm the only white belt participating, but it should be a solid learning experience!

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Lamadrid posted:

I base my handwrap buying decisions in the ridiculousness of the colours , my current rotation is purple and neon green and will add bright orange and rainbow.First rule of contact sports is to look baller as gently caress.

Guy who was at a tournament I was at had hot pink head gear and lime green hand wraps. He was like the early 90s personified.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

There was a book someone on here (I think) suggested/recommended for Jiujitsu beginners. I tried hunting around for it but had no luck. Anyone have any clue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

That was it! Thanks!

• Locked thread