Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I bought a newer, slightly thinner gum shield, as the old one was causing me to gag by being too big on the back teeth. Worked like a charm. So maybe try that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Good luck to you, man. I know that any kind of grappling/punchkick stuff helps my brain, I'm not bipolar but two or three times a year for month long periods I literally have to force myself to get out of bed, shower, go to work, not shut out all my family and friends, because my brain tells me "what's the point? None of it means anything anyway", and martial arts has really helped with fixing that. I hope it brings you some balance again.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Had a rad four hour Muay Thai/Sub Grappling/Bjj seminar earlier, got my first tag on my blue belt (and dear god how the whole grading thing matters so much less to me than when I was a white belt). Not a bad day, all told.

(Although it still matters enough where I want to mention it on a semi-anonymous internet forum)

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 28, 2014

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

We always throw some money in a metaphorical hat and buy a meal voucher for whatever is the best place in town at that time for our coach and his wife, gives him an excuse to take her out, because the rest of the time the dude's holding down a full-time job and then teaching most evenings. Hopefully makes her realise we appreciate her not wrecking our training by leaving him due to neglect!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I've heard loads of people say "I'll start coming to classes when I get fit enough/lose more weight" - most of the people in this thread who go to a club will have heard this over and over. It's fear of humiliation. I was a fatty, with no muscle. Now I'm less fat, with nice muscle. I still eat and drink the 'wrong' stuff, but because I work hard doing Muay thai/BJJ/conditioning 2/3 hours a day every other day, I can get away with it. I don't want to be awesome, I'm happy with being less poo poo. A lot of the non-starters assume this is an all-or-nothing deal; it doesn't need to be. Even two hours a week will make a huge difference in your life.

Everyone's friendly where I train, we all help get the new guys over the "holy gently caress everyone's steaming me" freakout that most of them seem to have. I look at at like this: Doing martial arts has gotten me into moving my body, and taking pleasure in my physical improvement, in a way that loving around at the gym never did. The results aren't so obvious, I don't think, in that pure gym work will sculpt your body in a certain way, but for being able to actually fight and breathe and move intelligently and maintain calm under pressure, and to be able to take a punch/choke and to still think your way out? That poo poo's almost priceless. I bang on about this because it has literally changed my life, and I think BJJ coupled with some form of standup art, and a good, supportive club, can make anyone's life measurably better.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

We've got this one guy at our BJJ class, will not loving learn.

This one chap, a young guy, 20-ish, was really quick at picking it up. He trained loads of time outside of class, and is genuinely the best person at BJJ in our school now, learnt it like a natural. He's quite a bit smaller than me (maybe 15-20kgs lighter), and there is no loving way I will roll with him any more at all. The guy constantly rips the subs on. You defend, he gets frustrated then snaps an armbar on so fast you're gonna be lucky to scream "tap" before even having the chance to consider tapping. He's been told by everyone in class - tone it down, man, you're good enough where you don't need to do that, but he just won't loving listen, and there's no-one good enough there to regulate him. Apart from the coach, who, for some reason, doesn't do anything about it.

I mistakenly thought "gently caress it, maybe he's changed", and had a roll with him the other day. He managed to throw an armbar up that nearly bust my arm. I thought "gently caress's sake", slapped and tapped to go again (still loads of time left in the round, assumed he'd noticed my right arm was now vibrating). He immediately grabs my now-hosed arm, arm drags me, moves around into a triangle, flips it so he's mounted, then straight locks the hosed arm. Yeah, thanks mate. Couldn't have picked the other arm, no? So that's me back to flat-out refusing to roll with him.

I have no idea why our coach won't/can't sort it out, but it's got to the point where when everyone's milling around picking who to roll with, this guy will be sat on his own, like the fat kid at football practice.

So it's not just the heavy guys, or the new guys that are dangerous. It's the fast guys who don't give a gently caress about their training partners too!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I was a member of a UK BJJ group on Facebook for a bit, and more than one of the well-respected black belts are (openly) massively homophobic, to the point where if I was gay I'd never set foot in their school for fear of getting a proper kicking. There was one really prominent Brazilian black belt, and everyone just kind of excused his ranting with "Oh haha, you know what he's like!" - yeah, I do, sadly.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

KildarX posted:

I got an etiquette thing to ask. I'm training at my current gym and my contract is almost up, I wanna continue grappling at my current school, because I made some friends and the instructors are chill but I wanna go learn boxing, and the boxing gym I'm looking at has a nogi and BJJ school attached to it. Their terms would give me unlimited classes in both of these +boxing for only 20$ more(it would be much closer and a tiny bit cheaper.)

My question is: is it a faux paux to train at two schools at the same time? Should the instructors be cool with this? What if I want to start competing(I don't currently and the first school doesn't compete or have a team).

You'd have to ask your current coach first, maybe. Some places are cool with it, and others are very very not cool with it. I was doing some training with another coach on a night my club isn't open, and I was told that it was a 'bit of a problem', and 'could I stop doing it'. I like my current club, they've been good to me, so if it's a problem for them, then fair enough. I wish it wasn't that way, and I personally think it's a throwback to the old days of martial arts, but them's the breaks.

Like I say, I know other places that are cool with it, as it helps you become more rounded, but it varies.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

So that guy I said was a dangerous liability at our BJJ club has just hosed a brand-new guys ribs up so he's had to go to hospital. The coach has sent me a text message saying "That guy needs to cool it, it's not acceptable" - haha, yeah, we've been telling you that for ages, you have bred this into him. It'd be funny if some poor bloke who doesn't know how to defend anything didn't have smashed ribs.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

What level of class was this? Fundamentals, given the victim here was new? What do you do in your fundamental class that'd allow someone's ribs to get hosed up? Genuine question. I'm doing a fundamentals class it's (fortunately) incredibly safe + restricted.

I guess it could've been a mixed class...

No, there's not many of us, this is a small place in the middle of nowhere in the UK, so there isn't a fundamentals class. The highest ranked of us is a purple, you roll from day one, and everyone does the same classes. I'm only a one-stripe blue belt, so this is fine for me, and I like the idea of getting in at the ground floor of something. I quite enjoy helping the flailers out, so as much as I like the challenge of rolling with the guys that have been doing it for a while, I also like deconstructing what I think I know to try to help someone. I find I'm often not doing the things I'm telling someone else to do as I explain it to them.

It probably isn't ideal, but there's not much of a way to get it working financially otherwise. The coach has become a friend, and I know he makes almost nothing out of it.

The stupid thing is, the coach is normally a really switched-on guy, he just seems to have had a massive blind spot when it comes to this one student (who is very very good, just dangerously selfish). Maybe it'll change now?

[edit] Thinking about it, the new guys that can get into it do tend to learn quite quickly, as it's very much a case of "this is going to suck for you for a few months, then it'll get better". Weirdly, this seems to dissuade meatheads, and we have (apart from the Dude Who Fucks People Up) a really nice mix of people, different ages, weights, a couple of girls, it's good. Everyone gets along.

[edit 2] Sorry, I didn't really answer your question. They were rolling, only New Guy drew the short straw and ended up with Dangerous Guy. Dangerous Guy didn't treat New Guy like he should've, and the predictable outcome occurred. I guess he maybe hopped into a knee-on-belly on the floating ribs or something?

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 29, 2014

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I think the rolling from day one thing has been a huge benefit to me; there's a Gracie Barra school near us who aren't allowed to roll until they've got three stripes, I think, and other local teams tend to beat their white belts quite soundly at competitions. The way I see it, if I ran a school that didn't allow rolling at first, I'd probably retain more students, due to breaking them in gently. On the other hand, if they have the option of rolling ASAP, then the ones who stay will probably get really into it. It certainly worked for me; I got smashed by some guys at my club who'd started BJJ before me (we do the usual stand up stuff too) when I began grappling. So, in my head, that's a good, workable, evidence-based art, they'd been taught how to cause me pain to the point where I ask them to stop. I doubt I'll ever stop grappling, it's good stuff.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I don't know how they do it. I got my blue belt fairly quickly, but I rolled almost every day once I got into it, and I mean going down to the local park when the club was closed and grappling with some of the guys right there in the loving park on the grass. We got some funny looks from the footballers.

[edit] Our stripes tend to be a "you have improved, keep at it" thing, doesn't happen very frequently at all. I guess that's the problem (benefit!) with only having five belts, some people can get a bit downbeat, especially if everyone in class is improving at the same rate as them.

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 29, 2014

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

fatherdog posted:

Normal white belt stripe progression for a GB school is one stripe per month, faster if they're taking more classes than average.

Really? I'm confused. They don't get a new belt after four stripes?

Oh man you're messing with me.

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 29, 2014

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

fatherdog posted:

How on earth did you get that out of my post?

I'm probably being stupid or missing a joke? You're saying they get a stripe every month or quicker. Four months a belt? I've read the thread, I know you know what you're on about so I am definitely missing something.

[edit] Right, I see, a stripe every month as a white belt. But still, four months until a blue belt? The Gracie Barra guys down here don't progress that fast, for sure.

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 29, 2014

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

It's better when you're grappling. Pull guard, rip out a stinker, reap the rewards. I once farted on a dude's neck whilst triangling him, good times.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The Dregs posted:

My 10 year old son has been in jujitsu for four or five months now and is doing pretty well. He got his rear end beat twice in his first tournament, but it was against two guys who were older, bigger, and who had been doing jujitsu for more than a year (He got put in the 10-12 bracket because bis birthday was literally the day before the tournament!). He managed to get both their backs first, but he didn't know what to do with it and eventually he got beat. We were really proud, even though it left a sour taste in his mouth.

I am thinking about joining the program with him to bring his morale back up and because I think it would be good for me. The problem is that I am fat, out of shape, and asthmatic. Should I try getting into shape a bit before I join so I can attempt to keep up, or should I just jump right in and spend a few months looking like a fool?

It's a question everyone has been asked over and over, and the answer's always the same - take the chance and just start training. You are going to look like a fool initially anyway (and no-one will care), so just go for it. Lots of people say to me "I'll get fit then I'll start training"; gently caress that, you'll get fit as you do it. When I started I was fat and out of shape too, and now I am neither of those things and I have accidentally found a hobby I love.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

All our classes are an hour long (used to be an hour and a half but for some reason it changed) but there's three in a row and they all follow a similar vein, so it'll be all striking on a monday, then all wrestling on a tuesday etc. The night's lessons just tend to bleed together rather than be three distinct one-hour affairs. Open mat after, most nights.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Had a total brainfart earlier where some guy had me in what was almost an armbar, so I thought I'd kind of flip over him and release the pressure. Instead I flipped right into it like a loving idiot and made sure that my arm didn't work properly for the rest of the session. Including a twenty-minute roll with some guy that I just couldn't finish as I was gassing (I had just enough in the tank to defend when necessary). Certainly one of the more 'educational' evenings, in terms of: Hey, I'm poo poo! I should learn more!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Getting good grips in no-gi is really hard. You basically have to commit to two-on-one, so you'd grab his wrist/leg with both of your arms. The obvious problem/benefit comes about a minute in, when you're pouring with sweat and then grips are pretty much out of the window, and subs get a lot easier to get out of. It feels a lot faster than Gi because of all this.

For some reason I find it a lot easier to get triangles in no-gi, I wear Vale Tudo shorts and Adventure Time tights (got to look as gay as possible whilst grappling), and I think the lack of friction caused by the tights helps.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Sounds really gay

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The Fool posted:

I thought the entire point was to look and sound as gay as possible without any actual penetration?

That's pretty much my life philosophy right there

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Seeing as this thread is now Hot Gay Chat, we all went out for the BJJ club christmas night out the other evening. Got towards the end of the night, everyone's drunk as gently caress, and discovered one of our guys in the corner of the nightclub, getting intimate with some other guy. Amazing. He was all "I didn't want you guys to find out". Hey dude we do "YMCA The Sport", it's cool.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

canoshiz posted:

Did you not notice the huge overlap in posters between this thread and yours?

Sadly. that's not the OP of the quite frankly loving amazing Krav Maga thread. The OP of that thread is busy training in various forbidden arts, in preparation for his two-on-one unavoidable death-match for the right to govern the wastelands.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Grappled with the 110kg white belt dude at our gym again tonight. I'm a 'one-stripe' blue belt, and 90kg. This guy, if I gently caress up at all, can pretty much pick an arm he wants to gently caress me with (after grinding me down). Still fun though, managed to armbar him when I was so tired I was about to be sick. Literally the best armbar I've ever caught, zero strength, all technique. Next roll he went to North/South arm tweak me (don't know what it's called), I rolled out, so he stood up and literally threw me from a kimura. I tapped the second I hit the floor. And the cool part is that it's awesome. I've got my belt, he's got his. I need to work harder at my game, and he's helping me to highlight where I'm lovely (massive heavy dudes). just to clarify, this guy went to the Hereford Open (a biggish deal BJJ wise in the UK) and won Silver after doing it for two months.

While I'm here - anyone got any tips on massive heavy dudes? He tends to steam in, so takedowns are hard, and man, if you gently caress them up (as I did tonight) you've got 110kg pressing down on you. He's learned how to use his weight, and normally if I try to sweep or wrong-angle people off me, it works. But he's so heavy it doesn't (or my technique is bad). Any (constructive) advice would be awesome...

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I suppose it's the 'blue belt dilemma'. I don't know enough to not get hosed up by the outlier white belts. On the plus side, there's a blue belt dude who used to be awesome. When I was a white belt he'd gently caress me up day in, day out. He got injured in an MMA match (knee), and dropped out for a year. He's come back, and I can basically do what I want to him. It's hard to see your progress when everyone's improving together, but when someone has some time off and then comes back - wow.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I gave the most massive of fucks up till I got my blue belt, now I couldn't care less. I didn't feel ready for it when I got it (although I do now). I'm probably, at minimum, a good year or so off a purple belt, at least. Which is a nice place to be, really. Just grappling all the time and trying to get better for it's own sake. Although we all roll right from day one so it only really matters for comp.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

We had a judo guy come along to our place, and start doing some lessons there, free to our members. This dude is as fat as a motherfucker, so already it doesn't bode well. His son, who's a black belt, does a couple of lessons of BJJ with us but hates it because even our white belts are making him tap. So he says 'I'll get some of you through to your first grading in six weeks'. I did two lessons, which were literal bullshit, and smelled a rat. Sure enough, a month later, some of our guys who kept up with it tell me that the guy wants about £80 each for them to 'register' and grade under him. Lemons need squeezing I suppose. I guess he's a bad TMA guy.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

BrainDance posted:

What arts are mostly on the ground grappling, and either choking your opponent or getting them in an armbar?

The best fun to injury ratio art going: BJJ!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Pony fleshlight

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

My grappling coach sent me a text yesterday, and said "make sure you're in class tonight, something really cool is going on". I was going anyway, but sounds interesting. So I turn up, and there's a guy that's phoned him up, and asked if he can come and train with us for a month whilst he's in the area. It turns out to be four time European Champion Luke Costello!

Which is awesome!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Eddie Bravo is weird. From my (limited) perspective, I guess he's polarising because whilst he's come up with some cool new stuff, he likes to rename everything with wacky stoner lingo, I guess that rubs people up the wrong way. Although one of his guys who fought at the EBI came up with "Dead Orchard" for his two-arm in triangle armbar, which sounds loving cool. But stuff like 'The Zombie" and "Mission Control"? Sounds like Bubsy the Bobcat's been at the BJJ again.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

osietra posted:

Joined an amateur boxing club, the parts of my body around my ribs, more specifically the ones just under my armpits hurt to gently caress. Boxing has scary looking dudes, itching to dominate the weak. Lots of tattoos and no women.

Go to a BJJ club. Once you know enough, you get to put your balls on the faces of all the scary looking tattooed dudes who want to dominate the weak, it really fucks with their minds.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Metamoris AND Copa Podio tonight, chaps. I've got the BJJ club coming round, and two televisions set up so we can watch both at the same time (mainly because Metamoris has massive breaks in the action). Should be a good night for grapplefans.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Deathy McDeath posted:

Did anyone watch Metamoris over the weekend? Was it any good?

I did, and I found it a bit dull, to be honest. Not as good as Metamoris 5. But then I was fairly drunk so YMMV.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

willie_dee posted:

I don't know where to put this but I figure the experts will see it here

https://vimeo.com/130765059

Is that a heel hook in the middle of a loving rugby game or a bizzare accident? It looks like he's intentionally trying to snap his ankle there.

What a massive oval office that guy is. That's someone's knee absolutely hosed for a very long time.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The team's getting hassled on Facebook now too...

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Pretty deep into another BJJ plateau. Loads of really strong new guys turning up that I'm having to really work hard to submit. loving BJJ.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

That's a good picture. The plateau will pass. It's not the first time and it won't be the last (unless somehow I get super clever)...

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

This plateau is kicking the gently caress out of me now. I've got three stripes on a blue belt and I've never felt more like I haven't got a clue. Cardio's gotten worse, other people are figuring my poo poo out, and I feel like I can't quite be bothered enough. I'm not going to quit, but I'm definitely having my ego corrected quite a bit at the minute. I've got a competition in September, and I'm actually starting to get worried because my current performance isn't anything I'd like anyone else to see, I feel like a loving embarrassment. Bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Thanks for the good advice from everyone. I have had quite a bit of stress lately, I'll take a week off and try to get it all in perspective. Whilst I know on a very real level that there's zero point getting wound up with it all, I seem to have forgotten that temporarily!

• Locked thread