Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How many of you guys do supplemental training - running, swimming, weights etc - with your martial arts practice? How the hell do you balance it out? I always end up blowing too much energy on supplemental stuff and then my grappling sucks, or the otherway around. After I injured myself last summer and I left out weightlifting, my grappling skills went throught the roof. I don't compete or anything, but just for the sake of variety I'd want to do some bodyweight conditioning too. Any tips or tricks out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
This has to be one of the coolest things I've seen in a long while. It's a sumo wrestling compilation video of a 90-something-kg western dude sweeping the floor with huge opponents. I've been doing judo for six years, but to my eyes this is WAY more judo than judo itself is: using momentum and circular motion to defeat aggressive, big and strong opponents.

Sumo has a lot of things than a lot of combat sports have kinda lost: all martial arts were a way to practice breaking and killing the other guy, but because you can't do that in training, all drills and forms of practice got some sort of safety flaw designed into them in order to keep everyone in one piece. In sparring, that meant a bunch of rules, like forbidding fingerlocks or hitting the back of the head. Some of the techniques had the training version, which would simulate the technique without crippling the training partner and the rules would support that: if, for example, you grab only the head when doing gator roll and not the head and arm, opponent's neck can twist really badly. Same goes for when opponent is on the ground and you grab only one of his ankles instead of both and do gator roll to that leg, his knee will get badly damaged. If the rules give you points for turning him on the ground though, grabbing both of his legs and trying to roll him like that makes sense: it's safe and you are doing almost the same motion as you would do in a real violent encounter. Sparring was a drill that was part of the combat training.

The drills eventually became competitions and sports and they became their own worlds, where the goal was to "win" the drill, not learn to fight: judo is now pretty irritating, because you can't grab the opponents legs and you are not allowed to grip with both of your hands on the same side of the opponent's gi for more than three seconds. Both rules are completely artificial, which is true for a lot of older judo rules too: winning the match by getting the opponent on his back or pinning him on his back make sense only as a sports event, because it gives the guy in the pin a possibilty to use all his limbs and giving him a fair chance, pinning him face down takes that away. For example cops want to put the perp face down so that they could put the cuffs on.

Another thing that changes is the mindset: in order to win, you've got to trick the other guy to play your game by feinting and things like rhythm and distancing gain a lot more importance. Aggressive assault becomes more of an chess match or a card game and when the rules emphasize certain kinds of sportsmanlike goals (i.e. turning the opponent on his back) you kinda are playing with cards.

Sumo doesn't have that: you lose by having any other part than the bottoms of your feet touch the ground or by getting pushed out of the ring. The logic with you losing because you are either kneeling, on your fours or on the ground basically is that you are gonna get kicked and stomped on if you end up there. With ringout, I guess the idea is the same as getting pushed down a cliff or a set of stairs. Besides wrestling, you can actually do palm strikes as much you want, and with guys that big going that hard forward, they must have a lot of power. There's no distancing, no rhythm, just aggression and intent and the whole thing is over in a few seconds. It's more of an assault than a fight.

You also don't rely on one or two of your favorite techniques and try to set them up, you go with what you can get: if there's a place for an uchimata, you take it, it it's something else, you better grab that, too.

To me, sumo is much more of an "real" fight than any of the UFCs out there, no matter what the marketing says: give me a thong and a hundred pounds of goonfat over a rash guard any day :colbert:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Thoguh posted:

Sumo owns but I don't know if I'd go that far.

Well the westerner wasn't too chubby and and the thong looked actually kinda good on him.

:heysexy:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Last sunday I sparred with combat sambo rules and we got kinda carried away and that led to some pretty heavy hits, I bust my nose open and I have had a screeching headache for over two days, now it's kinda okay but if I try to excercise, my head hurts pretty bad again. Is that a microconcussion or what? It's now wendesday night and I'm still like this.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I'm a bit frustrated with my judo/sambo club: the coaches are terrific and the people are nice, but basically everybody has competed nationally and all of them have 70-100 pounds on me. I'm athletic and I'd like to think that my judo isn't half bad, but I might as well be grappling steamrollers if these are my sparring partners. What to do? I started to lift weights again in hope to get a little of from the strenght difference, but I don't know.

Doing combat sambo is especially bad, because my stand up is what it is and I'm facing huge muay thai-guys who won't back down. It's not my idea of fun for having to limp a week after one training session.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

CivilDisobedience posted:

How long have you been with the club?

7 years and I've been teaching judo to kids aged 2-14 for 5 years. Our sambo club has been up for seven months, before that we did FILA submission wrestling for a year but that form of grappling got terminated by FILA last summer. We used to have smaller guys for many years too - and they were very good too - but people have been moving away and such. I've been going to a different town for sambo practise a couple of weekends, but waking up early and sitting in a train for hour and a half twice only for practise gets expensive and a bit tiring.

Always sparring with big, good guys makes your own judo super defensive and really makes it hard to become an aggressive fighter: you can't move the other guy no matter how hard you pull or push, which makes a lot of classic throws very hard to manage, and with a single extension of their arm, they can get out of a bad situation. Sometimes it almost feels like cheating. When you manage to throw them for real it's pretty :smug: though, so there's always that.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

It's true that I haven't sparred much, so there's that, but we do spar pretty hard. Part of that can be my fault though, because I try to land a punch pretty agressively and if the other guy wants to defend himself, he has to put enough power for his strikes or otherwise I would walk through them, that's what one dude told me anyway. Even if I try to go lighter, I'm still seeing the ceiling lamps for a single punch, so I don't really know. Our coach is terrific and one of my best friends, but I'm starting to think that he doesn't know what light sparring means.

I'm actually a normal sized dude, 165 pounds. Everybody just happens to be huge where I practice, 240 to 270 pounds. Maybe it's something in the water?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

So I have an interview for a job thats 80% travel. On the one hand, awesome opportunity blah blah blah, on the other: thats pretty much the end of Bjj since I could make 1 practice a week. I guess I shouldn't get too concerned before I have an offer but sucks to feel so conflicted.

Keep practising, things might change eventually and it can be harder to start again from scratch. If you have a night free on your travels, check out before hand the local clubs and pay a visit. Practising once a week keeps your current level up, twice a week is enough to get better.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the answers you guys, I appreciate it.

manyak posted:

What are your goals for learning striking? If its just a hobby and for fun/to stay in shape, dont bother striking at that gym, when the guys are that much bigger than you and they/you dont have any concept of light sparring youre just going to be a punching bag and its not worth it. If you dont do drills/light sparring etc youre never going to wake up one day good enough to spar a guy 100 pounds bigger than you thats trying to knock you out. Keep doing judo and grappling and save your brain

I just do it for fun and it does feel like a big too price to pay to get better if this would be the way to do it: it took many years to get to the level I am now in grappling, and I'm nothing special. The fact that it would take the same amount of work and I would have to spar hard every time is almost depressing. I've been sticking to the drills the last two times, maybe that's the way to go right now. Thanks man.

We had this one brown belt who was smaller than me, but he lifted weights like a motherfucker and because he was always fighting huge dudes, the way he moved was very dynamic and he was always the aggressor, never letting the big guy catch up with him. I've never sparred with a another guy quite like him, and he truly did surpass the limits of his size with athleticism and technique. Achieving that level seems impossible, but maybe some day.

Novum posted:

That's gotta be the most morbidly obese gym ever. Do you guys jump rope at all?

KingColliwog posted:

If the figures he's talking about are actually true, they are WAY loving bigger than him.

When I started judo at the tender age of 16, I honestly thought for many years that I was some sort of a dwarf skinny micro dude, but for some reason we really have a bunch of unusually big motherfuckers in our gym. They aren't fat either, they just lift a lot, like bench presses in the range of 280 pounds to 440 pounds, deadlifts from 370 to 700 and one guy even cleaned an pressed 400 pounds. None of them compete actively anymore, so their cardio is pretty loving bad, and I basically have the best cardio there, but that said, I'm nothing amazing on that department.

I live in Finland though, and a lot of people are pretty big here, fat or not.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Pyle posted:

Please post your gym's name and city. I need to know where monsters train.

Pori Fudoshin Judo., you're welcome to visit!

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 12, 2014

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I'll just leave this here...

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
In some Dog Brothers clip one of the guys told that apparently Dana White was in audience in one of their tournaments and he basically said "This is too extreme, it's not marketable." In every other combat sport getting hurt is an accident, but if you go swinging heavy wooden sticks around with force, accidents must happen regularely. Stabbing with a wooden knife hard enough leaves a mark too, and it can probably even sink in a bit.

Sparring with weapons is super fun though, and if I someday find some suitable training partners, I'd love to do stuff like this. I'd never would want to go 100% though, this kind of stuff is more meant for playing around than seriously and constantly training. If I'd want to go hard, I'd switch to some sort of padded training sticks and soft rubber knives.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 23, 2014

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

mewse posted:

There's way too much danger. I do boxing and there's a guy at my gym that spars too hard and he's taken me out with a body shot. He's got a weird ego problem that isn't being moderated by having the heavier hitters tune him up in sparring. If I can get hurt by someone wearing loving pillows on their fists I will never agree to play fight with someone swinging wooden rods in an attempt to "win" the sparring match. A dude in that video was crushing a guy's trachea with a wooden sword and the victim tapped immediately but that's enough that I would never want to participate.

And the two guys with whips..

Yep, going hard with weapons is essentially an extreme sport - or more of an activity, because it's not a sport - and requires a certain kind thrill seeking person to be seriously practised. I sure as hell am not that kind of an guy, a boxing glove in the face is enough for me too and even that feels to be too much sometimes.

On the topic of weapons training though, one especially fun weapon excercise is to place a training knife on the ground and sit with your partner back to back, weapon in between you. On start, you start grappling for the knife: all the strategy of ground fighting goes out of the window because you can always knife the other dude no matter what lock or choke he does. On one occasion, while the other guy was reaching for it, I kicked the knife across the room and armbarred him. You either have get it or get rid of it, and so much of it is about luck, because you never know where that knife goes and it's too vital in the drill to be ignored.

Standup with sticks or knives is similiar: punches and kicks lose a lot of their meaning and the distancing is scewed up big time. You are basically always either outside or just in the kicking distance but kicking isn't necessarily too valid or grappling so close you can only throw. Anybody can also hit pretty hard with a stick, you just swing the thing. Of course there's technique involved, but it seems to be more about distancing and precision than power, but I could be wrong. With a knife it definitely has nothing to do with power, because you just slash and thrust with it and precision and speed is everything. My point is that sparring with a weapon puts the whole thing upside down and size and strenght don't matter that much anymore. Also if you are a good grappler or boxer, it's a big wakeup call for realizing that your skills are extremely context sensitive and putting those things on a different background diminishes them severily. I like that a lot, because it shows how vulnerable you are and it makes you humble. It also forces you to think differently and that's always good. Even if you couldn't give a flying gently caress about self defence, it gives an idea how horrible it must be to be assaulted with an weapon and I think there's value in that.

So maybe not thumbs up for weapons stuff, but thumbs up for responsible weapons practice.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Yeah, guys with too much ego and too much willingness to prove it are the worst. This is one of the reasons I like judo so much, because it's not an metrosexual sport and doesn't carry the "tough guy" stigma MMA or BJJ has.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Bangkero posted:

BJJ doesn't really have a douchey rep here, but I feel bad for the douchey rep MMA has since pretty much all of the people I've trained with from MMA/BJJ places have been super cool. Thinking about it, I encountered more douchey people when I was doing traditional jiujitsu/ninpo.

BJJ probably is a really laid back sport in many places, especially if that "latino spirit" can be found in the gym. I think that's awesome. Our local BJJ/MMA gym seems a bit dickish though, the macho stigma is pretty big.

Your super right about traditional arts having douche people though. No matter what combat sport you do, the aim of the training is the competition in the sport itself, and that makes the whole stuff so much cleaner and clearer. However, if your supposed to practise for self-defence or - God forbid - "combat", the baggage your carrying is huge: people have their own images and ideas what violence is and what is realistic and what is not without having experience or information about real world violence. All the traditional arts and the Defendo gym I practised were all about circle jerking and speculating and fantasizing about "the street" and that gets old really fast. People get douchey because some of them start to think they're real hot poo poo because their stuff is so "real". In combat sports, you can easily see how good you actually are immediatedly when you start sparring and there's no way to lie to yourself about it. Also the sparring is the ultimate measure of your skill in combat sports, so there's no wiggle room: you can't tell youself that it doesn't matter you tapped to a leg lock because people won't be doing leg locks in the "real grappling tournaments."

If you want to practice for self-defence, that's fine, but it honestly needs a lot of researching and reading on top of the physical training: books by Rory Miller or Gavin de Becker or even John Douglas are essential. The point is that if you don't know something or your coach/sensei doesn't know, somebody out there knows. Ignorance is no excuse.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Excactly this. You said it better than I did.

The only pseudo-traditionalist guy I know and I really like to listen is this traditional jujutsu black belt who'se been a cop for 15 years. He does sambo and combat sambo with us and even though he isn't the world's best striker or a grappler, he is a very complete martial artist who can do a lot of stuff from groundfighting to weapon disarms. He has a real word reference point from all the uses of force he has had during the years and he can put the dojo stuff in the context of what is useful in his work and what isn't. In the summer I was working in a children's home with a lot of violent teenagers and I was a bit worried of getting hurt/hurting them if things would end in fisticuffs. I asked the copdude for advice and he gave me plenty, while teaching me techniques he used for moving and handcuffing resisting people. All of it was traditional jujutsu-esque but very simple and very, very useful. His instruction was also very good and he could give pointers other could not - "If the guy is like this he will most likely try to turn right, do x to keep him in control without hurting him" - because he actually knew what he was talking about. He's very open minded, honest and goes anywhere for martial arts practice, from a BJJ class to a kenjutsu class. So he's a pretty cool guy.

I think it's best to stick with combat sports unless you meet guys like this, because with a sport you know excatly what you're practicing for, and that's winning a tournament. There's no pretentious bullshit or magic tricks, just hard work and good times. With traditional arts, you almost always end up with faulty information and bad teaching, and you may start to think that you are something that you are not.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
About six months ago I quit lifting weights because it's boring as gently caress, but I still wanted to do something else than grappling too. Little by little, once, twice or three times a week, I started doing basic calisthenics in my apartment, some push-ups, squats, burpees, lunges, jumping jacks and whatever came to mind on a given day. I never counted my sets or reps, I just used 30-90 minutes at a time to get on some sweat and many times I pushed myself as much as I could. Some days it was more and some less, but the point was that after every time I would feel refreshed and good and I did.

Turns out I'm now in the best shape of my life. I can grapple hard the whole day and I'm stronger and faster than I've ever been. I went to the gym the other day and none of my previous strength has disappeared and some of the lifts are actually stronger than before. It has been so hard to carry the lifting strength into randori but with calisthenics it's such a different story. The conditioning is crazy good.

I don't think I will ever go back to the gym. Bodyweight stuff is free and time efficient, I just drop down and do it, no travelling or packing stuff, no lovely weather. I guess we are just so force fed of the macho free weights image that we feel it's the superior way, but I guess that's not true. I even look better.

So guys. Do some push-ups. It's great.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

fatherdog posted:

Using free weights is a (really, the) superior way to build strength. Calisthenics aren't building strength, they're building conditioning/endurance. If your problem in rolling is that you're not strong enough, calisthenics aren't going to help you much. If your problem in rolling is that you get tired too fast, weights aren't going to help you much. Use the appropriate tool for the job.

I've been wondering about this. I could be wrong, but for me it seems that building strengh straight away is more accessible via free weights to many people than through bodyweight training: gymnasts and those Barstarzz dudes seem plenty strong, but you gotta have some pretty good athleticism in you in order to do those moves that require more strenght. A bench press or a squat are things that anybody can do, you just add more weight. You could argue that this is the exact reason why free weights are superior, you can just do it and progress on your own pace, but on the other hand, if you have the balance and core strength to do handstand push-ups like this, that athleticism will be extremely useful in martial arts. I'm willing to guess you'd be pretty strong, too.

Another thing about people considering free weights being superior to bodyweight training is that it's so much easier to find a dude who can bench press 220 pounds than a dude who can do one-arm push-ups or pull-ups. Free weights are just so much more popular, and this is why I said that we are force fed the image of free weights being the only way. I grappled with a guy once who could do 60 pull-ups and he was super strong, but that's basically my only experience of a purely bodyweight training guy.

I guess it boils down to each of his own. I lost my belief in free weights when I threw and and choked out at a guy who could bench 370 pounds and deadlift 600 pounds and I'm a skinny 158 pound guy. Calisthenics are just much more fun for me and having a good conditioning feels really good.

Goffer posted:

Sounds like you're on the way to ultimate power. Don't go bald :ohdear:

I actually am balding. This is depressing. :(

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

1st AD posted:

What do you guys think about pilates-derived workouts? Every time I'm near Culver City (Los Angeles) I try to do a couple sessions at a gym that has this kind of machine http://www.details.com/health-fitness/gear/201306/pilates-exercises-using-megaformer-for-strength-and-muscles

I don't feel like it's actually improving my functional strength, but after doing like 3 days of this I feel muscle fatigue a lot less quickly while rolling and it just helps a lot overall in my game. The training must be somewhat effective beyond my brain telling me I feel stronger because I spent $40 on a 1 hour session and I have to justify this expense" because I'll just feel a lot better squeezing on a guillotine or triangle than I do when I haven't been training in a while.

Like I could do 1 month of unlimited BJJ for how much it costs to do 3 individual sessions. I'll still go whenever I'm in town just because there's a lot of nice eye candy at the gym and everyone is really into it, but Is there a cheaper alternative to doing this kind of conditioning?

I don't know, man, I wouldn't pay that kinda money for any kind of a workout, no matter how good it is supposed to be. Becoming fit isn't complicated or hard and there are no secrets: just a bit of consistent work and that's that. If somebody is charging you forty bucks an hour just because he has some kinda special machine I would tell him to go gently caress himself. Do a bit of research and you will find a way to do those excact same moves you can do in the machine without a machine. Besides, best conditioning for BJJ is more BJJ.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Been doing judo for close to 7 years now, and I've managed to get good throws with much bigger and stronger blue, brown and even black belts, and I pat myself on the back because of it. However, if I spar with total beginners who have superior size and strength plus the beginners enthusiasism, I'm having way more trouble than I should. I still get my throws in, but with these guys, their movement is this clumsy, violent trashing and stomping with no rhyme or reason, where they never stay in a same position for a second and you can't predict where they go and what they will do. They also always go 110%, so for a smaller guy that's kind of dangerous so I just tend to avoid them. It just annoys me that on a good day I can throw a big and strong black belt but on a bad day get thrown by a bigger and stronger enthusiastic beginner. My style of judo is based on counter throws and these guys know zero throws so there are not much of the same opportunities than with experienced grapplers, so maybe that is the reason for my troubles.

Anybody else here have same kind of problems, whatever you practice? How should I deal with this?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Novum posted:

Sounds like you're overcomplicating things. Try being more aggressive instead of reactionary.

I guess this is it. I never was too strong or explosive so I just said "gently caress it" and started just defending, keeping the opponent down by neutralizing his grip and getting my throws when the opponent did mistakes. Works well for a guy who knows his grappling, but being defensive and waiting for certain positions with a beginner isn't the same thing. Ground grappling works better though, even though I'm not too good in the ground. You get sweeps easier than throws keeping inexperienced grappler in a pin and submitting them is relatively easy.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Have you guys seen this video of pro MMA guys visiting the marine corps base in Quantico? They try out some drills where they run in the forest armed with sticks or wooden rifles and they have to fight two guys in the forest and they actually do very poorly. Later on they try out the obstacle course and have a lot of problems with that too. Action starts at 4:30

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
What the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XR9uyYoQmg

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Got a question for you strikers: how hard you have to spar for the sparring to be good?

Been doing combat sambo for a while, but the dudes I spar with are experienced strikers and I'm not and these dudes seem only to work at 100% intensity at any given time. Being a novice, I'm full of openings, so every time I spar I basically get hit a lot and hard. Some time ago I dodged a spinning backfist from a 220 pound muath thai guy and I'm pretty sure I would have been decapitated if that punch would have connected. Quite frankly I don't want to practice in that gym anymore.

i get that it's full-contact and it's fighting, not a tickling match, but striking arts are starting to seem the unhealthiest thing in the world if this is the standard. I don't grapple with 100% percent most of the time so why my stand up should be like that either? I don't want to do point sparring, but something close to that, where me and the guy I spar with have our gear on and we can both try out our techniques and combinations without a fear of ko or a devastating assault of kicks and punches, practice our timing and distancing in peace. If a person wants to compete, he has to go full-on from time to time, I get that, but I don't want to compete and I value my brain cells. So are there gyms where I could consistently spar like this? Should I spar like this and is there a limit to how much I can improve if I spar like this? If there is, I'm okay with that. My goal is to become a average striker at best and have fun doing it, without unnecesary pain or damage to my body. Is this possible and where I can find people who would accept this and go easy on a person like me?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the answers guys. Glad to hear that you can spar lighter and still become better. Basically all the combat sport gyms I've been I've seen a lot of rear end in a top hat meathead-types who have too much pride in the game no matter what they do, so sparring escalates into this fight for survival, grappling or not. With grappling, you just get trown and you tap out, but the risk for injury increases tenfold and striking just becomes a stupid slugfest. I'd like to see more open and playful people who do what they do smart, not people who are motivated by ego. poo poo sucks.

Time to find a new gym. Thanks again, guys!

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I visited the local muay thai club today to find some good spraring, and i was pleasently surprised: The instructors said that the rule basically is that if you want to spar harder, you put some strenght into your strikes, but if you keep them light, the other will too. The practice was very technical and when it was time to spar, verybody kept it light and technical. I realized that my outrageously hard combat sambo training had basically given me mental trauma, because immediatedly when I entered the hooking distance, my mind went "hhhnngg, I'm gonna get hurt any minute!" and I covered really tight and took the distance instantly away or pushed the other guy away. I often subconciously took the other guy into a body lock or under/overhooked him and I had to resist not to throw them and take it to the ground. I've been doing judo close to 7 years now and when doing combat sambo I knew I had a fighting chance once I got my hooks or a bodylock in. I told about my earlier sparring experiences to the coach and he said he saw that mental fear in me, which is no wonder. This was also my first time dealing with thai clich and knee strikes in that clinch, so that was new.

I had a lot of fun and I felt safe practicing, so I'm very, very, very pleased. Gonna stick with this club. Angry at my sambo coach though, because he is a very nice and smart guy and one of my best friends, but training with him has been a pretty damaging experince, all in all.

Thnaks for the guys in this thread for telling me to find a new gym. Life's good again.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is your sambo coach affiliated with any sambo orgs?

Nope, I live in Finland and even though we are right next to Russia, Finland is very much against Russian people and culture, so only now we have had some singular guys been interested in the sport (judo guys, mostly) so my city basically has the only combat sambo gym in the country besides our capital, Helsinki. Our judo guy has a long muay thai background, so that's why we have combat sambo on top of regular sambo. He really is a nice guy and a good man, but I really don't know what's with him and sparring. Something just clicks in his head and he basically isn't the same person anymore. It's a bit frightning, to be honest.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That kind of training doesn't even make sense considering how throw-oriented combat sambo is. You need to be able to practice a lot of strike-throw combinations and entrances for grips, and if you're getting lit up all the time you'll never be able to figure out how to do those and defend yourself at the same time.

You said it. We practice this in our technique a lot, but sparring, you just fight. Our sambo club is new and small and we basically have only two more experienced guys, one is our coach and the other is a okay kickboxer, but sparring with them is just all out.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 8, 2014

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Ah, I see. That's too bad, combat sambo is a really fun sport, and it's especially fun to do sparring lightly because of all the throw and grip shenanigans.

It's super fun when it is. Not like this, though.

How are MMA clubs you guys are in? Our local MMA club seems to be pretty similiar to our combat sambo club and the people are half as nice. You guys in smart gyms?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Found some clips on vimeo of indian srestling and training: The fifth one is sparring, the others are different kinds of physical training, like calisthenics, rope climbing, gymnastics and swnging those indian clubs.

http://vimeo.com/84266195
http://vimeo.com/86132755
http://vimeo.com/88321365
http://vimeo.com/88936612
http://vimeo.com/88952186
http://vimeo.com/91117934

The stuff they do is probably how people practiced a long rear end time ago. Can't get more low-tech than this.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I flipped a toe nail today, I cut a little away from the part of the nail that was sticking out and put two bandages on it. Should I do something else? Disinfectant or something? For such a small thing it hurts like poo poo.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Ligur posted:

Since self-defense and/or da street comes up here once in a while, check out this guy stand his ground against a baseball bat assisted mad charge and finish the play with style and only minor harm done. I'd hazard a guess this person has been in a "real fight" before.

I wonder what'd he'd come up with against a knife?

That was out of a textbook, wow. I'd probably just freeze, judo or no.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 22, 2014

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I'm always surprised how inconsistent sparring can be. For weeks you can get a whole bunch of good throws and submissions in, even with the really good opponents, if they are being sloppy for a second or a bit tired at the given day. Then on other days you can't do anything, you don't feel tired and you can focus, but everybody in the world is dominating you and no matter how hard you try, you can't do anything about it.

Combat sports are outlandisly technical, being a bit slow or careless really can ruin everything.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How many of you judo/sambo/bjj guys are grappling without gi also? I do it so irregularly that sparring without a jacket just confuses me a lot every time I fight like that. Any tips on no-gi grappling?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

This is more of a general working out problem but it happened a lot when I used to roll. Sometimes when I'm working out my stomach starts hurting a lot, like really bad acid reflux. I have to slow down and take it easy because it feels like if I keep pushing I'll vomit.

Just see a doctor. I have acid reflux disease and once I found a good medicine after trying a few the problem was 100% fixed, while before I had to deal with throwing up left and right and dealing with very severe pain. By time that will seriously wear you out to the bone, both physically and mentally, so stomach issues are no joke. even if you can deal and hulk it out right now, it will be a very different story when you have to deal with that poo poo for longer periods of time. See a doctor.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How good conditioning running is for grappling? I discovered that I'm a horrible runner even though I'm a decent grappler. Strikers run all the, should grapplers do it too, at least a little?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

General Emergency posted:

Running is good conditioning but it does matter how you run. Doing sprints gives a very different workout from running long distance. It's all good though.

In the running thread I was told that jogging at an easy place plus sprinting short distances frequently is a good way to increase my score in the 12 minute running test. I think that would be good for grappling too and I ran like that 5k yesterday and it was actually quite enjoyable.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Does anyone else experience a sharp stomach pain during conditioning or intense sparring work, around 1-2 hours into training? I'm driving home every night with this incredibly sharp upper stomach pain- like I have too much gas but nothing comes out. I sweat like I'm on amphetamines, and usually go through 2-3 shirts for every night of training because they just get too damp. I drink plenty of water, but straight water, without electrolytes or carbs or any of that.

Strangely enough, I always leave practice feeling bloated and uncomfortable no matter how much I should be incredibly dehydrated from all the sweating and training. Anyone have any ideas?

I have acid reflux disease and apparently the symptoms vary greatly from person to person, but I had stuff similiar to that. Go see a doctor and try to get some tests done, I learned about my condition after the pH-levels of my stomach were tested, but that was like the fifth test that was done to me.

It could honestly be anything, not a doctor, but I would see one if I was you.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How do you guys balance with MA training and lifting plus conditioning? During the summer I've been running twice a week plus three or four grappling classes, on top of lifting twice a week. My lifting starts and stops many time during the year, I start to lift because I want some basic strength but I stop when it starts to sap too much of my energy from grappling. I recently found the 5/3/1 program and it seems perfect for me, it doesn't seem time or energy consuming. I have a habit of pushing myself too much, so just going to the gym and doing this program seems feels weird, mainly because it's so short and not too taxing. I only want decent basic strength, 220 bench, 330 deadlift, 264 squat, everything after that is a plus, so I know this is very achievable. I just don't know how to put everything together effectively.

So how do you guys do it? I'm just a hobbyist, not a professional.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I've asked this before, but jesus christ if it doesn't annoy me: how come I have so much trouble with beginners in grappling? I spar 99% of my time with really good atheletes, and as long as I can be technical and use my counter throws, I'll be more or less fine, same in the ground, but good god I can't deal with physically strong beginners. they squueze and push as much as they can and they do nonsensical things abd I honestly can deal with that and more or less find myself in an losing position.

What is up with that? I can deal with them if we are doing combat sambo or mma, because I can dodge their wide swings, go close and just throw, because they walk in with their fists and bodyweight going whenever, but pure grappling is just agony. I know that part of it is that they go 110% all the time without attacking me in a way - shooting, hip throws etc. - that I could counter. Yesterday I was so tired in practice that a five year old could have submitted me, but it still is extremely annoying to not be able to fight somebody who should be a piece of cake.

More movement and getting rid of undesirable grips would go a long way, but what else? What about in the ground? What should I keep in mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the answers guys, there were some good tips and I'll make sure to try stuff out when I next have the chance. Luckily I'm not the only one to notice the problems of sparring with strong beginners.

Xguard86 posted:

It is weird how you almost have to practice with white belts to deal with them, like you forget wtf to do when people act kind of dumb or just lockdown and go totally defensive.

This is really true, you almost have to practice it. I guess the biggest thing is the 110% power, because when you usually spar, you are, you know, practicing, so you don't go 100% and try to figure good timing and distancing and whatever. When you start a sparring session with a beginner though, you are already behind the curve because the other go literally goes apeshit.

Ligur posted:

Hey ya'll, I know where you are coming from, sometimes striking sparring is a nightmare against relative newcomers too, especially if they are fast and powerful to boot. Say, a former athlete or a guy who lifts and does a ton of cycling every day decides to come over. The techniques they use in this or that situation often make absolutely no sense... and hit you in the face from the weirdest angles and distances.

Then you can't really tag or go that hard on them, because they are newbies after all? But if you let them flail around at the 105% that they use, with their limbs swiging and guard wide open, you'll get your own nose bloody? Aaaaahh?

I just realized that I was one of these people: When I was doing kickboxing at the tender age of 16 and the other guy launched a roundhouse kick for example, I just turtled up and bashed against him with my forearms, not giving him any space, sometimes pushing him away and hitting him with some jabs and hort hooks while he was trying to regain his balance. People literally were so confused that they couldn't do anything, they just weren't used to dealing with that, even if they knew some kickboxing. I remember some dude actually saying "Jesus Christ, that guy is crazy."

Another thing I've realized is that sparring with cops is something similiar to this: The also go 110% but they are much more focused, like they have one tried and true technique they have learned in the academy and brutally force it through, no matter what. I lost constantly to a bigger police officer of 15 years when he started grappling but once he learned some sportsmanship and he actually started sparring rather than trying to overpower me, he couldn't do jack poo poo to me anymore.

I guess this just underlines how much intensity really matters.

• Locked thread