Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

fawker posted:

They also have boxing, which I would LOVE to do and their hours are actually better for me. Apparently, they are the "National Headquarters" of Shoot Wrestling Canada. Has anyone here heard of Ron Beer before? My googling only shows stuff that related to this school.

I currently do BJJ, which I love and am happy with, but if this other gym isnt too expensive, ill probably end up going to both places.

Are techniques learned in shoot wrestling applicable to BJJ and vice-versa?
Don't know anything about him, but if his background checks out, you're probably looking at some neat leglocks, neck cranks, rides (some useful, some pretty dumb) and hopefully a lot of takedown-to-submission transitions and maybe some cool submission chains. If you have a decent BJJ background, you should probably be able to do a week or two and figure out if the guy knows what he's talking about. Otherwise you could try asking the guy about his lineage and emailing Jake Shannon. If the dude is legit, Shannon probably at least knows who he is, though you might get a snide response, because as retarded as BJJ politics is, catch politics is even worse. From his site though, it looks like he might be an amateur wrestler who knows some judo stuff and put them together and calls it 'shoot wrestling,' so he might not be on Shannon's radar even if he knows his stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I didn't expect so many Aikido people to pop out of the woodwork here, so I thought I'd bring up what I imagine you've all seen: the "realistic" attack that involves latching down on their wrist and turning into a boat anchor. It actually says a lot of what people think attacks are.
When I did TKD we had a couple guys who were into coming up with the most bizarre one-step sparring techniques. One time I was supposed to 'attack' one of the guys and he backed away literally like half the mat and then signaled he was ready. I had no idea what the hell to do with this so I just stood there dumbfounded. Eventually he yelled that I should punch him, and I asked how the hell he proposed I do so, as he was like 40 loving feet away. Somehow I ended up having to do pushups as a result of this exchange. I quit that school shortly after, though I do sort of regret not seeing it through just to see what kind of retarded super saiyan counterattack he was to unleash upon me. I kind of want to do TKD again just so I can do really dumb flying submissions during one-step sparring.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Our competition team trains with all that nasty stuff, as you're bound to run into those kinds of things in comps and it does occasionally work, especially in the lower divisions. That being said, we only really do rear end in a top hat rolling like that with each other - we're certainly not going to hold knee-on-face on the guys who don't really care for competition and just want to do some sweaty groundhugging. Even then, we only train that way during tournament season - it's good to know how to use and defend against dickweed moves in case it comes up, but it's way more important to just have good jiujitsu.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001

Thoguh posted:

So according to a bunch of people on Facebook, all martial arts competitions other than Wrestling, Judo, and Taekwondo are now essentially banned in Illinois.

https://www.subcultureusa.com/news/il-house-passes-bill-1490

I read through the full bill (included below the synopsis), and it seems like the author is correct. Other than Olympic sports (Freestyle/Greco, Judo, TKD) and schools sponsored competitions (Folkstyle wrestling), any full contact MA competition requires the full gamut of physicals, doctors on hand, sanctions, and so on. Which is the same as banning everything other than those sports and Boxing/MMA. NAGA has already moved all their stuff over to Indiana, and other BJJ tournaments are either canceling or moving out of state.

I understand the Illinois legislature wanting to regulate amateur MMA bar fights. But I can't believe how far reaching they made this bill. I sincerely hope that it does not get signed into law.
Wisconsin tried something similar, though I don't think it was quite as extreme when we were going through regulation processes. Basically the people in charge most likely don't know a loving thing about most of MMA, let alone all the individual subdisciplines so just try and paint with the widest brush they can. It's really on the combat sports community to lobby and annoy the poo poo out of the regulatory committee; after a whole big shitshow about what sports could hold events and what disciplines could and could not go on a card and who could fight who and so on, it's essentially business as usual except that fighters need to get physicals and some of the sketchier promotions folded because they couldn't just get some random idiot that trains in his backyard to come in on two days notice and get squashed by whatever Duke Roufus guy they threw on the card.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001

swmmrmanshen posted:

I don't get it. It seems he was an accomplished Judoka who actively fostered competition, as well as being into many other random MAs.
He was an extremely skilled Judoka, nobody disputes that. The problem is that he sold out and gave rank to whoever threw a bunch of money at him.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001

Office Sheep posted:

Strikes to the head scare the gently caress out of me. If there was a striking sport where head strikes were illegal and basically all other MMA rules were allowed I would do that sport. I don't care how unrealistic that would make it or however many 12 year old boxers would murder me I don't want anyone to punch my brain in.
That's pretty much exactly what FILA Pankration is, except it's got a huge point sparring influence, so if you don't finish your opponent, be prepared to lose because he punched you in the ribs 300 times while he was mounted. Also, you can get rope breaks by reaching outside the ring and I think by touching your opponent's face (I think you get like a point deduction for doing that, but you get a free pass out of the armbar). Most of the time it's pretty much MMA-Lite, but every now and again you get some guy who's really good at exploiting the rules and you can't really do anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001

BrainDance posted:

She made me watch this video http://blog.naver.com/marsh811?Redirect=Log&logNo=40168249019&jumpingVid=40A64F22FAF11E8E01237E788E22A210D8B9

Just looked like a bunch of guys flailing around screaming but, I dunno anything, maybe that's just what martial arts are or something?

Holy crap. This rules. It's like tkd crossed with lucha libre. Staged or not, it's pretty impressive/dumb that at least one of those groups looks like they're practicing and eating those throws on hardwood.

• Locked thread