Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Go to a place and observe what happens. You can get all three of these out of a sub par gym, but you may find that you outgrow that gym as soon as you start getting some of the fundamentals. I would highly recommend finding a gym that is affiliated with some kind of MMA training; mine is a Bas Rutten affiliate.

At the very least, you want a Fit to Fight class at the gym. That certification states the instructor is a krav instructor certified to teach MMA techniques. Usually this is your introduction to sparring. I don't know how it works at other gyms but one of the guys at my gym used to fight competitively in MMA, so he brings in low level pros to come fight with us.

quote:

Combat Conditioning - basically an intense cross-fit regiment. You will do very intense work outs. None of my previous MA experience even compares to what we do in Krav as a warm up. For reference, I'm referring mostly to the warm ups from Karate and TKD.

Some of the warmups are pretty good. However, some gyms offer hour-long combative conditioning classes. Some of them are ripped from crossfit/P90X. Some of them are just the horrible things the instructors want you to do. Running with weights in your hands while someone else holds onto you and tries to hold you back via a belt is one of the worst cardio exercises I've ever done.

quote:

Mindset - This will be cultivated in the form of providing distractions. Flipping the lights on and off, blasting music, multiple attackers, breaking the rhythm of the class. Basically, prepare yourself for the distraction of the real world and focus on identifying and eliminating threats with all of that distraction going on.

I've also seen some gyms try and cultivate ferocity in low levels-- just being able to channel all that nervous energy. Lots of unrestrained striking.

quote:

Others with experience in identifying what makes a good Krav Maga school versus a McDojo Krav franchise, please correct or add to what I've posted.

Generally you want to know what system they're affiliated with. Krav Maga Worldwide's pretty reputable. So is Bas Ruten's system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been interested in martial arts for years but with my leg problem and overall lack of fitness I've avoided it. Since the fall of 2009 I've been doing basic weight training and then in 2010 I started running as well. There's a Krav Maga place nearby but I still suspect I'm not ready considering how intense their warmups are.

They offer an early morning heavy bag/kettle bell class and I was wondering if that might be a good way for me to try and get to a state where I can explore their self defense classes without embarrassing myself.

Just go to a class and do what you can. No one will think any less of you for it. Don't go to the point where you puke, but just try. The body types there run from obese to loving unbelievable.

There have been some large folk that start out unable to do poo poo and I've watched them slim down to become loving monsters. There's a cop who started out 300+ pounds who slimmed down to 220 and I can't even hold for the dude, his punches knock you off your feet.

Edit: Are you in LA?

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 5, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm in L.A. I'm looking at the Krav Maga place on Olympic near the 405. I feel like I'm at the point where I could really benefit from it. I didn't see any boxing places in the area, which I'm also interested in.

gently caress. That location is THE place to train krav maga in the US. So jealous.

That location is where the majority of instructor training for the US takes place. Some of the instructors teaching class on their schedule are sent out here to do seminars as well and charge a hell of a lot to do so. gently caress, man. Get your rear end out there.

Edit:

If you look at their schedule, Michael Margolin regularly teaches classes there. He came out to Austin recently and charged $120/pp for an afternoon of training. And Kelly Campbell came out to do instructor training and also charged a hell of a lot.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 5, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Never thought I'd say I missed the typical jogging/running warm up.

Have you seen the 3 minute warmup?

10 front kicks, 1 sprawl, 9 front kicks, 2 sprawls...all the way down to 1 front kick, 10 sprawls.

gently caress me I hate that one.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I feel bad about interrupting Gi-chat because it's goddamn hilarious, but I have a stupid question to ask.

I've been doing Muay Thai for about a month and a half and my swing kick is crap. I think it's mostly because it hurts so loving bad when I hit the bag so I subconsciously flinch at the last minute. Would something like this ankle support thing help? I've also been getting shin splints from all the jumping rope so I'm guessing it would help with that too?

It is supposed to hurt incredibly loving bad. However, you shouldn't be hitting with your ankle. Hit at least 2 inches higher up your shin. It's going to hurt like a bitch for quite a while.

Also, think about taking calcium supplements.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What's the deal with cultivating calluses? I keep tearing skin off my hands while grabbing gi's. The top of the third joint of each finger is constantly covered in scabs, will it be detrimental if I moisturise them, or should I cover them in tape, or what? I want to encourage them to get more callus-y, they're just not getting enough time between sessions to completely heal up.

Get some cloth sports tape and tape that poo poo up. It's still going to hurt and bleed a little but not as much.

The two things in my first aid kit are icy hot and sports tape-- if one or both of those things won't heal it, the only things left are time or surgery.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Thoguh posted:

Seconding this other than the Icy Hot part. Biofreeze 4 life.

Biofreeze is great poo poo but tougher to find.

If you ever find an Advocare person, SoothEx is AMAZING.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I can't decide if that would be badass or terrible. I've often thought it would be cool to have a martial art where one of the higher level tests would be something like you're getting into your car after work and a paneled van pulls up and a couple of people get out with masks on and attempt to kidnap you. I know this is an insanely stupid/dangerous thing to do, but that doesn't stop me from day dreaming. You would also have to swear anyone who's gone through this test to secrecy under penalty of a severe beating or something.

Unfortunately this would have the problem of severely wrecking the people trying to kidnap you if you were successful.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Winkle-Daddy posted:

edit: ^^^ Also see if they do any sparring or if their art is too "dangerous" to risk any sparring!

I'm stoked, my brother is in town for a week so I'm pulling him out to Krav tonight. He's a boxer and trains with some MMA guys down in Eugene Oregon where he goes to school. Any suggestions on maximizing loving with him? By "gently caress with him" I mean do some things that are so far outside his realm of experience that he will be doing a :psyduck:

Some ideas I've had so far are:
- Anything with several attackers.
- Gun take-away.
- Knife take-away.
- Some ground fighting.

Any other suggestions?

I'd have him do some krav sparring. I do a lot of MMA sparring to work on my stand-up but watching some of these krav instructors spar it's a whole different (and dirtier) game.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Kicks: There are a couple of basic kicks that all work from this position. There is the groin kick which will be your right foot starting back behind you, being cocked by bringing your knee up, then leaning back (moving your chest to be more parallel to the ceiling) and snapping your foot out and back. The same basic mechanics apply no matter where the target is straight on. But in krav there are really only a few targets. Groin, stomach and that big rear end nerve on your thigh.

For the nerve on the thigh, this is an overly complicated kick because of the stance you're in! You will start it like a front kick but then rotate your hips over so the power is actually a downward motion. The strike is going down as opposed to what most would picture a more roundhouse kick being; the angle of attack being moving in parallel to the floor.

Ehhhhh...I'll fight you on this one.

I can throw every kick I threw in muay thai from a krav stance, plus a few extras.

As opposed to your feet being perpendicular in a boxing/muay thai stance, your feet are running parallel. This serves to make it way easier to boot someone in the dick. However, now your weight is more evenly distributed.

The different weight distribution has two main effects:

1) My rear foot jab suddenly becomes far more feasible; and
2) It's harder to pick my left shin to block, so I don't do the traditional muay thai same-side elbow-to-knee block. For a leg kick, I'll generally absorb it on top of my thigh (as opposed to the sides) and I'll absorb a higher kick on the soft part of both my forearms (there's other blocks but they're more complicated to describe.)

Also, once I got used to the switch in stance, my power came back.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Muay Thai guys - I'm hoping to get your medical expertise.

Two weeks ago, we were doing round kick defenses and my shin hit a guy's elbow so that the point drove in pretty deep, even with shin guards. It hurt like hell at the time, swelled up a bit and I didn't kick anything for a week.

A week later, I was doing some bag work at the gym. My shin wasn't swollen, it wasn't visibly bruised and it wasn't hurting at all doing regular activity, so I throw one kick at the heavy bag and horrible sharp pain ensued on my shin. No more kicks that day, shin swells up.

Another week passes, no kicks. Heavy bag work again. Shin's not swollen, not bruised. I throw a right round kick. Horrible, stop-the-workout and cringe pain.

What the gently caress? Did I get a fracture or a bone-bruise or something? Is there anything I can do besides just not throw kicks?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Illegal Username posted:

Is it the bone that's hurting or the muscle?

A hematoma inside the tibialis anterior muscle isn't dangerous but it hurts like gently caress and it takes forever to heal.

If it's the bone that's hurting, doctor time.

I sat there poking it for a while yesterday. The bone itself doesn't hurt-- the pain feels like it's either in or under the muscle. It's still a little swollen but it matches up with a hematoma. If it's still here in two weeks, doctor time.

Thanks for the help guys.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Illegal Username posted:

Sounds like a good plan. It's bizarre how much it hurts though. Breaking my hand was loving peanuts compared to that loving shin pain :psyduck:

Yeah, seriously. I broke a bone in my hand once and that was just a constant dull ache. This is like lightning going up your body for ten seconds and then it's gone.

:iiam:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

swmmrmanshen posted:

I see your tapout, and raise you an accidental busted lip. Also, what do you goons think of rolling/randori with girls in general? My general principle is that they are there to be martial artists and athletes, so they don't want to be "treated like a girl" (Whatever the hell that means anymore) and treated as a peer. At the same time, if they are smaller than me, I'll treat it like working with any smaller judoka, focus on technique, move light, don't force anything.

As soon as they step through the gym doors, I don't see them as girls. They're just another person to train with.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Smegmatron posted:

To annoy the poo poo out of people who think touching your face is a good thing. Like the shitlord 3 week old white belt I train with who thinks my jaw is the best place to rest his elbow. gently caress that guy.

Eh, I wouldn't be so mad about this. Cross-faces are fair game.

However, putting your knee where my skull and my jaw connect and pressing down is not cool. That poo poo hurts immensely.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

My hobby is "aggressively cuddling dudes". I need a beard to recover whatever shred of masculinity I can retain.

That's a lie. Aggressively cuddling dudes is one of the most manly things you can possibly do. Plus, you can likely beat the piss out of anyone you meet.

You have to offset that hyper-masculinity by doing things like wearing princess sashes and glitter and drinking cosmopolitans.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Winkle-Daddy posted:

For some perspective it takes a lot of slacking to earn this level of scorn. While a lot of martial arts (especially competitive ones) this talk may happen a bit more regularly. However, with Krav Maga and schools associated with Krav Maga Worldwide the instructors have a high tolerance for slacking in level 1. They wont advance the student or ever put them up for a test, but they also usually wont say this unsolicited as it risks a payment every month. Krav Maga Worldwide on the sign-up side of things has a tendency to be run a bit like a franchise as opposed to a martial arts school. (One of the only real complaints I've had so far).

Yeah, I found this out too. I was up in Dallas for a few days and went to the krav worldwide gym there. It was the week before their belt test and the instructor was "going hard" on them to make them ready for the tests.

A) Their warmup was 10 minutes long and easy. Several of them had to sit down while it was going on.
B) People there couldn't hold the pads for poo poo.
C) They were scared of me when I was going 60%.

I'm 5'9 and 160 pounds.

These people were belt testing to get into the rank I'm currently at.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Winkle-Daddy posted:

That being said, a lot of the warm ups are as hard as you want them to be. For example, when we run circles, pretty much everyone busts their rear end to run as fast as they can as hard as they can. The student I referenced above will do a light jog for a few laps, then walk a few. I have a feeling that Krav Maga Worldwide works on a quantity of student versus quality of student type of system. I guess that has the opportunity of increased cash in to keep the doors open, but where I go, there are quite a few level 1's that have never been tested and probably never will. Testing is how our school gets those that are willing to work hard into classes with others who are as well.

There are some people who get passed up by virtue of simply being there forever. We call them goobers, just not to their face.

I'm languishing at level 2 because there's not enough people to get a test together for the next belt test, so I've been focusing a lot on fighting other people. I think I may switch to a muay thai/bjj gym if i have to move back to Dallas.

A question for you guys: Do you ever have regular training buddies?

I've had ten get injured on me and drop out--none of which have ever been injured by me. And I just lost another one two weeks ago. Ugh.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

TravellinDan posted:

Kung fu guy chiming in. Been doin it for just over a couple months now, at this place http://www.waterlookungfu.com/ It has been a lot of fun so far, and I think iy will continue to be as long as I'm interested in the whole "package". Some night are self defense, others are forms (kata in Karate I think), other nights we work kicks or punching drills. There is sparing, but I haven't been able to participate because I don't have a high enough belt yet (this is my main complaint with the place). The whole experience has been great for fitness, which is the main reason I joined, and the environment is very friendly and fun.

I've been getting on people to stay after class and do some kickboxing sparring in krav maga and it's been eye-opening to a lot of them. I've been sparring once or twice a week (generally 10 3-minute rounds) for 7 months and a lot of folks (including people who have trained years longer than I have) freeze up and realize that being able to execute a technique on cue is a hell of a lot different from executing it live.

But the instructors are definitely putting more pressure on people to spar now, so things are getting better.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just once in a movie I'd like to see the female protagonist knee the bad guy in the junk, and instead of comically falling down and groaning, he just kind of winces and then pistol whips her. Even in more serious action movies people getting hit in the nuts always act like they just got shot.

At my gym, there's a female instructor who's really, really big into empowering her female students, which is a good thing.

Unfortunately, one of said female students posted "I'm not scared of people who do MMA, I'd just kick them in the junk and go for their eyes," (paraphrased) on her facebook wall.

:ughh:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Xguard86 posted:

I did learn that if you are choking someone and they go for your eyes, you shove your face into their neck and it pretty much takes that off the table.

This is my problem with krav maga: some of the "self-defenses" are really, really, really dumb. But they're not really meant for me to use.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

molotoveverything posted:

Has anyone here taken a Bas Rutten fight class before? I'm new to martial arts and the Krav Maga Worldwide place that I've started taking classes with recently is offering it.

Probably some boxing drills like bobbing and weaving, slipping, standing against the wall and bobbing while people throw some light punches at you, high covers, and then some thai clinch work. There may be some light sparring thrown in at the end.

You're probably going to get popped in the face a few times but it's good for you.

At the KMW gym I'm at, it's recommended you have at least 2 months of krav basics down. Talk to the instructor.

Also-- the KMW gym in Houston is putting in a model of an airplane fuselage so they can train air marshals. What the gently caress.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 13, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HATE MONDAYS posted:

krav maga is so retarded lmao. anyone who thinks they can stop a guy with a gun from carjacking them by using groin kicks and eye gouges deserves the brutal gun slaying they will be on the receiving end of

I've voiced my opinion on this before - a lot of the self-defenses are really, really, really dumb and really only apply where the size discrepancy between attacker and defender is huge.

I'm also not a fan of krav seminars - they're just a way of generating money. The belt system makes sure that lower-level people see these knife and gun defenses and then they don't get to practice them again for years. But they do say "Don't use this poo poo but hey, we're teaching it for funsies."

And KMW's system of teaching groundwork is pretty lovely.

But some of the striking techniques and defenses I've picked up in level 2 and 3 are pretty god damned effective, so I stick with it.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 16, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

So why is Krav Maga so horrible? (technically)

It spends far too much time focusing on things that have an incredibly miniscule probability of occurring and encourages handling real-world situations poorly.

And yet I like the striking in it so I still train in it.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

On a technical level, I'm not a huge fan of it just because it seems to do things the hard way -- by, say, always trying to disarm your attacker, instead of just protecting your vitals while giving you space to run away.

Ehhhnnnnn...those options are given but from what i've seen, the "Get yourself out of danger and then run like hell" training gets focused on more than the disarm.

It really depends on what branch your school is affiliated with, the level you're in and the instructor you have.

I've also got some criticisms of other aspects of krav but those have already been posted. Actually, another one:

I don't like their system of belts. Belts are poo poo and belt tests are poo poo. Theoretically KMW won't let you attend a higher level class than your current one unless you pass a belt test. And that's poo poo. However, the belt tests are loving grueling and worth doing, the way they're administered is just poo poo because mine's been rescheduled on me twice.

Good things about krav:

1) The striking stance feels more natural and quick to me than muay thai did.
2) I've got a larger amount of defenses than I learned in my muay thai school.
3) Generally just a larger repertoire of strikes to choose from.
4) Slightly more self-defense applications for a bare-knuckle street fight.

But I'm moving out of Austin soon so I may end up going back to BJJ and muay thai. Krav's groundwork is seriously lacking.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 18, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HATE MONDAYS posted:

[comment about groin kicks]
They are nowhere near as effective as dumbasses who take Krav Maga think they are

I'm actually going to back this up as a dumbass who takes krav maga. A lot of people think groin kicks are super effective until they start sparring and they try to lead with them. Telegraphed as all hell.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Who the gently caress would spar with groin kicks, that sounds terrible.

Dumbasses.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

JimmyCaladro posted:

At the moment I'm into Krav Maga, but I'm thinking of switching to something else, because there's pretty much no sparring, just drills. Is this normal for KM, or did I just get unlucky?

e: fixed link

That depends.

A) Where are you?
B) IKMF, KMW, or Bas Rutten?
C) Are any of your instructors Bas or Fit to Fight Certified?
D) How long have you trained?

My school didn't really focus on it until a few of us in level 2 started making concerted requests to the instructors, who obliged. It's entertaining now because some of the level 2 guys who have been sparring regularly are wrecking the level 4 guys who come down to our class.

Also: A decent krav school will usually have a BJJ instructor on premises. Because krav groundwork blows.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 19, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

JimmyCaladro posted:

A) I live in the Netherlands.
B) They claim to be KMW. I wouldn't know how to verify that though and 'because it says so on their website' doesn't really seem valid.
C) I believe since recently one of my instructors is Fit to Fight certified, but only since last year somewhere.
D) I've been a member for about two years now, but I've been not able to train for a few periods due to some bullshit reasons. I think effectively I've been training for a little over a year.

I haven't been there in quite a while now though and haven't really had the chance to attend the Fit to Fight classes. I'm also still level 1, but I'm sure that if I practiced for a bit and smooth out the techniques a little, I could easily pass the test.

I just checked the website again and it says that there will be sparring in the Fit to Fight classes, but only in those. Which I think is kind of annoying. I'd rather have they spar always everyday. Now I would have to attend both to also get the KM self defense part. Is this Fit to Fight much different from just straight up Kick Boxing + groundwork? I honestly don't know much about it and it doesn't say much on the website.

Ok. If you lived in the US, I'd say "Get out of level 1." Level 2 is almost entirely learning defenses and other attacks so you can start sparring. There's generally some sparring in level 2 classes. Level 1 is just to teach you the very, very basics. (How do you maintain your sanity? Jesus.)

Fit to Fight is generally some boxing, some kickboxing and some clinchwork-- it's a good basis to build upon. Generally there's a warmup, then you start throwing combinations, work on slipping punches, and generally work on hitting and getting hit. There also may be some thai pummeling.

But you live in the loving Netherlands! There's an argument to be made that you're in the greatest place to learn kickboxing IN THE WORLD.

KMW is based out of Los Angeles. Your instructors either have to wait for seminars or fly to loving LA (or israel) to get better.

I'd switch, brother.

Ligur posted:

What are Krav Maga classes like? What type of striking is done?

There suddenly seems to be Krav -goons all over the place.

Depends on the gym and the rank. I've got a gym I'm really happy with in Austin but the gym I went to in Dallas was poo poo, so I'll tell you about both.

Austin: Classes are generally an hour, divided into three phases. 15 minute warmup for conditioning, 5 minutes of stretching, 30 minutes of technique and then either a self defense (dumb) or application.

Level 1 is just teaching you the basics: stance and movement, how to throw a punch, how to throw a knee, how to throw a foot jab, and focuses a lot on self-defenses. Self defenses are generally: "Here's how to defend someone choking you from the front. Here's how to defend against someone choking you from the back." I hate them, but the women in class seem to love them.

Level 2/3 is more about actually fighting. So still the same warmup, only you might be sparring. You work on slipping punches, inside defenses, broadening your kick arsenal, learning the fundamentals of groundwork (still lovely) and maybe some sparring at the end or other (dumb) self defenses.

Dallas:

Level 1: 5 minute light warmup. 10 minutes of striking (general strikes like punches or knees) and then 45 minutes of working on self-defenses. 45 god drat minutes of working on what happens when you're choked from behind while someone's pushing you. I have no god drat idea.

Striking: It's a mix of muay thai, western style boxing and some side and back kicks stolen from a number of arts. I've got all my muay thai tools plus a few more.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 19, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

So is IKMF the "good one"? I can never find any information on the organizational splits online.

Eh.

Really, it depends on the instructor and the gym. Even at the gym I'm at, there are some incredible instructors and some I know I can out-teach.

I've also had some KMW instructors tell me it's a waste to train KMW outside of LA or Austin. Then again, I've also heard of a school in Houston building a loving airplane fuselage model into their gym so they can train air marshalls and I've gotten to fight/train with a lot of my town's swat team.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 20, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Yuns posted:

As a side note, KidDynamite's victory at the first and only ever goon meet fight competition a few years ago was hilarious. It was basically a bunch of untrained goons getting laid out by an amateur boxer. I don't even know why they let you compete in it.

OH gently caress me, tell me more about this.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

So my "trial" month at the local KMV worldwide place just expired and they seem to be pretty firm on their terms. They're asking for a 6-12 month commitment at $150 dollars a month.

Is it too demanding of them? I told them over the phone that I'm a student and I can't commit to anything like that during the school-year and that I'd be willing to do something on a monthly or bi-monthly basis. They said they would call back, but they haven't since last night.

Opinions? I've never taken any martial arts before, so I know nothing of how these gyms operate.

A) Where do you live? Is it just KM classes or is other poo poo offered? That's really expensive.
B) What'd you think of the classes?
C) Did you try and negotiate them down?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

I agree, I actually found another similar gym in my area just now. So I know of Krav Maga, but then what is Israeli Kapap?

http://kapapcombative.com/

It looks like it's another sort of "Krav Maga Worldwide"
http://www.kapapacademy.com/schools.htm

Fun fact: I had a KMW instructor tell me a lot of KMW schools were poo poo.

I really, really like the striking style but I'm starting to dislike some of the way they handle classes. This multiple attacker stuff is getting pretty ridiculous.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Fontoyn posted:

Here's a vid of me sparring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJRJ9xkP70

I have a couple others, but they're all pretty badly shot. This one is the best example of how I act in the ring. Also sorry for the poo poo quality.

I get rushed and clinched near the end

You'll get yelled at to keep your hands up a lot but here's one of the biggest things I noticed:

You throw punches. Or kicks. But not both. Mix 'em up.

Throw a combo and end on a kick. Throw a kick in the middle of a combo. Throw double kicks. Throw a foot jab and go in for punches.

When sparring and you're in kick range but not punch range, I know what's coming; I'll see that round kick coming from a mile away. But if you start punching my face, I won't be thinking about my ribs or my legs as much.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Went to a different krav gym because I moved back to Dallas.

They were teaching gun poo poo to the introductory students and most of the advanced students had never sparred.

:ughh:

Can anyone recommend a good striking gym in Dallas?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

NovemberMike posted:

What do people think of Krav? I've heard unimpressive things along the lines of it being an incomplete art because it's a basic self-defense system similar to Army Combatives and that it's popular with McDojos. I assume people here have had positive experiences?

It's highly gym-dependent.

I just moved to Dallas from Austin. I LOVED my gym in Austin. It was mainly focused on conditioning and sparring-- the level 2 and 3 parts of the program were about sparring and fighting other people who did martial arts. They even made an effort to bring in MMA fighters for open gym to work with. The ground work was weak though and the switch to sparring-oriented training was recent (within the past year) so people who had gone through the new level 2 training were wiping the floor with higher-level students.

I've been to two krav gyms in Dallas.

At one of them (under krav alliance), they were doing gun defenses in level 1 classes. I really, really don't like gun defenses.

At the other one, the students were scared to work with me. One of them even told the instructor they didn't want to hold focus mitts for me. I'm 5'9, 160 and was going about 50%. Then they spent 40 minutes working on self-defenses.

I think I may have to go back to muay thai.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 2, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Armyman25 posted:

Haven't read the thread, but does anyone have a good right up of "street fighting" versus MMA?

I understand that a man who spends his time devoted to getting himself in shape and honing his skills at a realistic martial art is much more formidable than someone who has just been in a lot of fights, but I always hear the "well, in a REAL fight I'd gouge his eyes out" arguments.

Speaking as someone who trains krav:

You block a throat strike the same way you block a punch. You deal with an eye gouge the same way you deal with arterial pressure in BJJ. If anything, an eye gouge is dumb as poo poo because it raises the intensity from the fight to "I WILL loving CRIPPLE YOU." And it's really, really easy to see a kick to the jewels coming.

I'll take the MMA guy.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

henkman posted:

What about a knife smart guy? What then.

I use the squid defense where I desperately try to poo poo in his eyes then run away.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

TheKingslayer posted:

Not creeped out at all. I like to learn from new folks. Be aware I'm a tiny punch man. 5'8, 150 on a good day. But I do what I can.

I'm really starting to struggle with my size. 5'9, 160 and it seems like everyone I ever get to spar in muay thai/bjj with is over 6' and 200 pounds.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Fontoyn posted:

This has been really bothering me recently, fighting tall guys who can pull off quick push kicks is an incredible bitch to do. What's the appropriate counter strategy in this situation?

I've seen two ways to handle it.

Catch the kick, toss it and kick them in the back of the leg; or

The dick way, which is to meet their ankle with your elbow when they kick you. This will likely end up breaking their toes when you get the distance wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Krav Maga is more difficult, since obviously you won't be competing with it, and honestly its just something that has always intrigued me and I just want to try it out and get a grasp on the building blocks of self defense (I'm not trying to be some badass IDF operator or anything). I've heard that it is hard to find a good school for Krav outside of Israel though, and that a lot of places that offer it are really unqualified. Obviously I'd look for places that offered free classes and try to get a feel for them, but it still seems like it would be easy to trick a total newbie into thinking the instruction is more effective than it really is.

I was really, really pleased with the Austin krav school on South Congress. I trained there for a year and a half, about 5 days a week. The krav school in Dallas I'm at now blows loving rear end by comparison. Once you get the basics down, get involved in the Saturday open gyms and get some sparring in. It's muay thai style sparring and I'm able to do decently well against most of the muay thai practitioners I've sparred in Dallas (except for the pros).

The only lovely thing is they will give you a hard sell the first time you come in, so get ready for it.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 10, 2011

• Locked thread