Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

mewse posted:

Boxing

Most people don't know poo poo about boxing.
  • In this thread, you can ask any general questions about boxing and how it compares to the other martial arts. There is a lot of equipment shared between boxing and other striking disciplines, so asking "are these gloves crappy?" in this thread is perfectly fine.
  • W&W has a boxing training thread where you can discuss training boxing specifically. It gets less traffic than this thread but boxing culture can be a bit different sometimes.
  • The boxing thread in the punchsport pagoda is where you'll go if you'd like to discuss fights as a spectator rather than a participant.

This is good. Punching people is good(inside a gym). Thank you for saving me time as I prob would have written 1000 million words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Paul Pot posted:

myth, i've never seen a boxer pull off as many superman punches as gsp

Notable good mma boxer Georges St. Pierre.

Most people don't know poo poo about boxing.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Paul Pot posted:

it's interesting that you didn't debate the effectiveness of superman punches in boxing matches

freddy roach is a genius

I don't think superman punches are effective in boxing because a boxer will know you're not going to kick them so there's no fake out. I sparred with an MMA guy MMA rules to takedowns and he tried a superman punch and I just slipped it because I was still in boxing mode. It definitely works in MMA though.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fawker posted:

I feel like it was a combination of having no fear of Jake's stand up and trying to *hopefully* KO him in his native land, in front of the biggest crowd he'll ever fight in front of.

I think it was just Georges being a dumb. Seriously they guy pays Freddie Roach a lot of money to train him and I'm pretty sure Freddie would have spit in his face if he came back to his corner after throwing those rights. Ricardo Mayorga throws better punches than that. MAYORGA!!!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Have a friendly spar and punch him in the face?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Just go. Why would you have to get in shape to get in shape? It makes no sense. You go do Krav and you're body will develop what you need to excel at it. There no other way around it. Sure you may suck some wind or puke but there's no point in delaying you're training.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm in L.A. I'm looking at the Krav Maga place on Olympic near the 405. I feel like I'm at the point where I could really benefit from it. I didn't see any boxing places in the area, which I'm also interested in.

I'm not sure how the West Coast works but http://www.wildcardbc.com/

Edit. Looking at the website and drat Wild Card is such a real loving gym. I love Freddie Roach. He could have a gym where he charges rich scrubs 200 a month but no he keeps it at a modest 50 a month so that the less fortunate can come in and train too. That's how you discover diamonds in the rough!

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 5, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

HATE MONDAYS posted:

:staredog:

Was it even possible in your mind he would come back?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Wrestling is pretty cardio intensive.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Epee fencing give you excellent footwork, distance, and timing for any type of striking.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Adolfo Castro posted:

So the good doctor just banned me from Muay Thai, BJJ and Wrestling forever.

We'll see.

Got a prolapsed disk in the neck.
Basically he said putting any stress on the neck would be dangerous as I'm very close to surgical. Stress includes weighted workouts, and of course any grappling. I said that I want a rescan in 3 months to see if it's any better and he agreed, but basically no grappling for me of any type (muay thai, wrestling or bjj) for the next month at least.
probably 3
maybe forever.
I'll get a second opinion as I'm not ready to cash in my bjj/mma life just yet, although ending on a win is nice.

Wow. That really sucks. I hope by some miracle of the fighting gods your neck gets better.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've definitely had several situations where I've been close to going out, where I manage to escape from a choke just as the walls start closing in. Even when you get out, if it was on tight enough you might need a second or two to fully recover as the blood blows back to your brain. It's pretty rad.

As an interesting note, one thing I do remember from passing out was that sound disappeared before visuals-- however, I'm not sure how much I trust this memory, as it could just be something my brain made up once I came to again.

E; I've been properly rocked from punches and such too, but the most interesting one was in the open class of a bjj competition, where a dude who had 60 pounds on me slammed me into the mat. I recovered almost instantly and fought on, but I recall sound cutting out and seeing nothing but TV-signal like white noise for what felt like a second. Seeing stars, I guess.

When I was doing BJJ there was a Judo guy that came in and apparently had a bad reputation. All he had was an Ezekial choke with an insane grip. He got my white belt rear end in it but I felt like I could work out of it. I blacked out and woke up to him tapping to an armbar. Instructor said I just popped my left leg over his face and drove my hips like a bat out of hell. I felt pretty rad.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ligur posted:

Hmm, I was clocked by one of the old boxers who come to our gym with a right hook - which I "blocked" by a glove glued to the left side of my head - so hard the hit left me standing in bright fields of swimming white light and completely deaf. It took me a few seconds to find out where I was. Sure, I was still standing when I woke up and everything, but for a blink had no idea what was going on and couldn't hear a thing.

Was I concussed :confused:

edit: I've been knocked senseless but still on my feet before, but that was one of the two times I've been reduced to seeing white (and not hearing anything) when I still placed a glove between the incoming fist/foot and my head. I'm guessing it isn't that healthy in the long run.

I've never had a hit leave me deaf before but I've def had the polaroid vision as I like to call it. The worst is when you get hit with a nice upper and your vision slows down and then the frames of vision as your head was lifted up come into frame with black around them because your brain is working to catch up.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Adolfo Castro posted:

Injury report :(

Best of luck to you dude and hopefully you can recover and continue to train. Did the Doc say you could continue striking? This is scary as gently caress cause my shoulder is currently out of wack and not gotten any better with physical therapy and I've had the finger numbness too.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 31, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

It camouflages your skill to other rednecks. Everyone else just knows you suck.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

ManicParroT posted:

Pfft, all you fools with your camo. Clearly, leopard print is where it's at. :colbert:

Are you from Jersey?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Adolfo Castro posted:

Those are actually really good, I just use it as an all purpose compression band, be it elbow, ankle, shin or knee.

Hate to say it, but how is he wrong? Slow repetition of strikes with a weight will make your striking faster, striking without gloves will toughen up your knuckles and knife hands are like any other strike, have to be practiced on a resistant surface in order to get your hands used to absorbing the strike.

Gloves are for the protection of your hands and wrists.

I know of people that use weighted gloves and what not but that usually kept to like ~2 pounds. I'm guessing this guys meant like a 10 pound dumbbell which would lead to shoulder injuries like whoa. Hitting the bag with any kind of force with an unprotected fist is just asking for bloody broken knuckles.

You're right about practicing knife hands though.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

killendino_001 posted:

MA school for my 6 year old

If you want your kid to learn anything put him in boxing or wrestling. These are sports that are pretty simple though there are a lot of nuances to them. This will have the kid learn and give him/her a solid base for more complex stuff when he/she gets to puberty. Also he/she won't have a stupid black belt that's worth poo poo at age 14.

Edit: A good BJJ school will be good too.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Lead right hand if you're quick enough. Jab>slip>hook if you can slip well. Jab to the body. Double up your jab. You should be doing all these already except for the lead right hand. vary up your attack if you throw the same combination over and over of course he's going to negate your jab.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Dirp posted:

I've tried alot of this and it still doesn't work. I'm not throwing the same combos over and over but I know I tend to lead with my left alot. I think I just need to get better, especially my hand speed.

If jab slip hook isn't working your hand speed has to be really lacking. Work on throwing fast combinations with less power behind them when you work the heavybag and padwork. Also bring your jab back as fast as possible. It's hard for me to imagine why jab slip hook isn't working for you.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Dirp posted:

What doesn't work is I still get hit when I try to slip and I think it's just because I'm really loving terrible at slipping punches. I don't know if it's because it's muay thai or what but I feel like we never work on slipping as much as we should. Occasionally we have boxers come in and make me feel like a child because they can just slip and roll everything I throw.

Oh it's Muay Thai ignore all my advice. I don't know poo poo from a Muay Thai stance.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Paul Pot posted:

kid, you've turned into a winning fiend, right? i've got a few questions, but no pms...you cool with giving me gear advice here or in the w&w thread?

Here's fine. Kimbo is also knowledgeable on their headgears too.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Paul Pot posted:

i believe top ten makes the best headgear for kickboxing/mt, so i'm not in the market for that.

anyway, i'm thinking about getting 10oz winning gloves for sparring. good/bad idea? keep in mind i'm only 170lbs and almost everyone in our gym uses 12 or 14oz gloves for regular sparring (full speed jab, every thing else around 70%). i guess what i wanna know is whether they're significantly gentler for the face/brain of your sparring partner or just nicer for your own hands/wrists compared to other gloves?

what do you think about using competition size gloves in sparring in general? i feel like i get too used to the size of 14oz gloves, which leads to unnecessary shots getting through my guard in competition. i would still practice with heavier gloves on the bag.

last question, how do lace up gloves work in practice? at least around here, i've never seen anyone with a pair. i always thought they were impossible to take on/off quickly (needed for padwork), but i read you can have them tied moderately tight and slip in and out. apparently they still offer better wrist support than velcro this way...i read this on sherdog, so i definitely want a 2nd opinion.

thanks man

If you want to use competition size gloves in sparring Winning is not your brand as they run larger than any other brand. They will definitely protect your hands as I used to have lots of problems with my hands before I got my Winnings. It's a novel idea to use smaller gloves for sparring to get you used to the lesser defense but it's better to work on your head movement and footwork to get you away from your opponents strikes.

Also the top ten headgear if kimbo linked the right one looks like TKD headgear. Which means to me good for getting kicked in the head but not punched in the face.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 20, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Paul Pot posted:

trust me guys, top ten uses some special weird material that's extremely shock absorbent even if it looks cheap&homo. really sleek footprint, doesn't move, great absorption, covers all areas. i think they've been used in the last 3 boxing olympics because they're so protective. i got the avantgarde model and it's leaps better than everlast/thai stuff. winnings don't protect the entire head, so that wouldn't be an option for me. i'm sure they're the best headgear for pure boxing, tho.

you haven't answered the lace-up question, I REALLY NEED TO KNOW :>

cleto reyes safetec would be a (perhaps smaller) alternative to winning, but they're only available as lace-ups.

i'm obviously working on head movement and footwork as well, i just believe using smaller gloves would make me more aware of small openings i'm leaving (never been knocked down or dazed from a strike to the head, so my defense is pretty good already). 10oz sparring gloves wouldn't be an option for heavier guys, but even in fights, i knock opponents down with accurate shots, and not because i punch particularly powerful at 6'2 170lbs ;/. in muay thai (even in the dutch style i'm practicing) it's desirable to block punches in more situations than in boxing, but i can understand where you're coming from.

I prefer lace ups. I don't think there's any way to keep them tied and slip them on and off though. I used Reyes with velcro for a while and yes the ease of slipping them on and being able to put them on yourself is useful but the wrist support is lacking. Besides that's what your coach is there for to get you prepped for sparring and yell at you.

Not sure about what advice to give you if you want to block more as it would probably be bad for Muay Thai.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm with kimbo the inside crescent kick come from the inside and goes out. What Buried showed is an outside crescent kick.

:smith: So many years wasted in TKD and Kung Fu because my parents never knew where to find a boxing gym.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

me too, except for different reasons. My dad wanted me to stay out of boxing because he didn't want me taking blows to the head, and I couldn't wrestle because my uncle wrestled and he knew how bad the weight cutting could be. Bjj was still an underground garage thing but I wish I had been in Judo or Kykokushin karate. Then again at least I went to a decent TKD school that fudged a lot of the contact rules and ended up being more like a Japanese jujitsu/hapkido dojo than anything else. I could have been a ninja.

It really wasn't our parent's fault though, hollywood and McDojos did a pretty good job with bullshitting everyone on what martial arts should be. I remember an old "what-if" thread in bullshido had this quote: "What if Kykokushin karate replaced TKD". We could have still worn fancy pajamas and bowed to sensei, but at least everyone would be immune to liver shots and know how to throw a straight punch.

The one thing that really sticks in my head and pisses me off to this day is a story from my TKD class. I was always respectful and wanted to learn in TKD I thought it was cool at the time. I would always punch the bag though. I would throw kicks at it too but I spent most of my time punching it. It was at a really good TKD school since the sensei was the coach for the olympic team or some poo poo. One day the sensei's fat son comes out and said "Hey Mike Tyson this is Tae Kwon Do we don't throw punches." It really pissed me off since even at that young age I wanted to know like every part of fighting. I knew there was a range and distance for kicking and then punching and then grappling and it just gave me a bad taste that he was so narrow minded.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dong_Keun_Park I guess he was pretty famous. He never really taught though.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 21, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fontoyn posted:

Anyone know why kickboxers/boxers can take so many more heavy shots than your standard MMA fighter? Why are there so many more zombie fights in non-mma combat sports?

EDIT: i ask because I'm trying to transition from an MMA to a strict Muay Thai mindset. Learning more about staying in the pocket with my hands up, etc and when i watch other fighters their beatdown threshold is incredible.

Because MMA striking is bad.

Also boxers that stay in the pocket tend to have good head movement or counter big shots with their own. I don't know what you mean by zombie fights as that would to me in my head be a crap mma match.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That seems really stupid. I can just switch grips and americana you. Very easily too. Or poo poo just put you into an arm triangle position to get the mount. I don't see how this works in an advantageous way for you.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Oh well I say stuff like that comes when you've got two equally skilled guys. There's just times you have to take one to give two(optimistically). Besides you don't want to be backing up the whole fight or resetting the range after every single exchange. Moving around the ring like Floyd Mayweather isn't something many people can do. Or if they can they can't keep it up for 12 rounds sometimes your legs go and there's nothing you can do but stand and fire back. Also if you have a good defense like say Winky Wright you can just tire out your opponent by letting him punch himself out. No need to move with a strategy like that. In mma you don't see that because there's always the threat of the takedown.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ligur posted:

I still think the correct one is "I was winning the fight - up to the moment I died"

Was this from the story where the guy was getting peppered with ineffective punches(stabbed to death(literally))? That was depressing don't make it the thread titile.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I thought Mas Oyama actually fought dudes and what not? Or is that another TMA lie?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yeah I way rather give up my car and tell them to go hog wild and crash it at the end of the night or chop shop it really good. I have good insurance I'll take a new car over getting shot.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

PLease shut the gently caress up melon cat.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Omglosser posted:

I think it's just cuz it's such an old and stupid argument.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6zlaIl0yh0

Ugh that triple jab he throws is so loving disgusting. Jesus.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

zalmoxes posted:

Since we're on the topic of agility and speed, what is there you can do to improve that? I've been doing more jumprope and dribbling a soccer ball lately and I think it's helped a little, but I'm a lot slower than I would like to be. Is it mostly a matter of physical training, or is there a mental component to it.

A speed jumprope and an agility ladder. Plus sprints in a pool if you can. Those help immensely with speed.

For punching speed there's not really much you can do to increase it by much. That's more a genetic thing. As you learn better technique your punches will flow together faster but there will only be so much speed you can put behind a full power punch that is limited by your body.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 16, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

I do agree that everyone has a genetic limit.

But, the idea that it is possible to increase your foot speed but basically impossible to increase your hand speed is just silly.

Yes tell me about all the secret techniques I haven't learned in the 7 years I've been boxing. All boxing coaches must be holding back on their students. :rolleyes:

Your punch speed is something that is hardwired just like how hard you punch(ko power) and how much punishment you can take. Unless you mean you can train yourself to throw really fast pitter patter nothing punches then by all means.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Are you making the argument that you punch just as hard and just as fast as you did seven years ago when you started?

Cause if you do I can see your point but I bet you improved, which means that your power and hand speed are not "hardwired".
+
"KO power"

My speed has increased as I've learned correct technique but not from any gains in handspeed. I was already athletic when I started boxing so there was not change in my body and even as I got fat over the years and got back in shape that's the one thing that's been constant.

That KO power study is really cool and all but there's a reason not everyone can tap you like Ernie Shavers or Big George and KO you. Maybe the boxing mentality is this works why gently caress with it? And work with what you got(not Paul Williams let's not fix glaring holes in my game style though).

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Guess it really depends on your mouth. The shock doctor I had always cut my mouth up. With the custom molded one I can have a conversation and you probably wouldn't notice I had my mouth-guard in.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I think footspeed is just much more quantifiable than hand speed. The guy arguing with me asked how I knew my hand speed had stayed the same and the answer to that is my jab when sparring. It's always been my best offensive tool and the one person I've been sparring with since I started will always get caught with it after I roll under one of his right hands. He's tried for everything to get his hand back in time and nothing's ever worked. He's stayed in shape and I haven't(I balloned up to 290 from 200 down at 230 now). So my hand speed had to have stayed the same during that whole period.

The whole hand speed thing doesn't really matter in boxing anyway as if you throw good punches in combinations you will connect eventually. Footwork and stamina are way more important. Head movement too.

We do plyo and tire flips at my gym on certain days. But this is a broke rear end PAL gym we don't have money for state of the art equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yuns posted:

As a side note, KidDynamite's victory at the first and only ever goon meet fight competition a few years ago was hilarious. It was basically a bunch of untrained goons getting laid out by an amateur boxer. I don't even know why they let you compete in it.

I had been boxing for 2 months at this point. Don't make me out to be some ringer.

• Locked thread