Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Hey all, interested in picking up a sport and I'm unsure which style to do. I was wondering if anyone could help me through it!

Back in my teens I practiced Karate with a grappling component (not sure exactly the style, maybe my teacher incorporated BJJ) and I had a pretty great time, but had to get out of it for various reasons. Grappling was really fun, but at the moment, I'm looking to improve my striking and don't really have a huge interest in groundwork.

So I've narrowed my choices down to three styles: boxing, kickboxing and Muay Thai. They all seem rather similar though (with the obvious exception of no kicks in regular boxing) and I'm unsure which will have the most lasting impact on me. I love kicks, so kickboxing and Muay Thai were forefront in my mind, but I've always wanted to throw great punches, have amazing cardio and get in really great shape too. I love the way fighters look in general, but it seems to me that boxers have really great core strength, and that interests me much more than any other development (I dance too, so it seems it would be really beneficial to improve my core-strength).

So yeah, I barely know anything and I'm definitely interested in hearing some more info/testimonials. :)

BONUS POINTS: If anyone lives in Victoria or Vancouver BC and has any gym trip reports, I'd love to hear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Are you going to be training in Victoria or Vancouver? Here in Victoria Zuma is probably the most legit martial arts gym in the city, but I have no experience with the MT/kickboxing side of things, just BJJ. I haven't been in a while, but at least for BJJ the crowd is great.

Stay the heck away from Fierce Studio.

I'm in Victoria for another year at least, so it's cool to hear some news about the scene here. I haven't heard of Zuma yet, but I'll check it out! A buddy of mine and I were going to hit up Island MMA this week and I've heard good things about it, so I'm hopeful.

What's wrong with Fierce?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

So I've been interested in picking up either Boxing or Judo and it seems that these two clubs are my options:

http://victoriajudoclub.com
http://www.boxingvictoria.com/About-Us.html

I have a few questions for everyone here.

1) Are these two gyms good? They seem to have legit trainers both, but I'm pretty new to this.

2) I tried to contact the boxing coach about a month ago via email and he never returned the message. Is this a sign of anything? Not sure what that means and that sucks, because

3) I think, in a vaccuum, I'd rather learn to box. That being said, I think Judo is cool as hell and would love to learn that too. What is everyone's opinion on learning judo over boxing (or vice versa)? I'm definitely interested in hearing some opinions.

4) Minor question, but it matters a bit. Which is the cheaper sport to pursue?

Thanks for any replies! :)

Edit - I'm decently in shape, but wear glasses and have terrible vision, if that matters. I don't suppose you can box in contacts?

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 26, 2014

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Well great, thanks for the posts guys! I'll check out both gyms and see what they're like.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Just had my first lesson! I thought my cardio was better than it really was, apparently, even if I thought it was poo poo. I was sweating like a beast at the end and loved every second.

My coach told me to take a broom handle across my shoulders and twist to get used to the movements of punching. I was going to start doing that and some jump rope, but I was curious if there were any other good, standard boxing exercises I could work on so I'd look a bit better Monday.

I get that I'm supposed to suck, but I'm eager to improve :)

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Hey, I laughed. Been dancing around like a fool, too :)

Gonna go out and get some girly girl weights to shadowbox with. My gym doesn’t have a speed bag so I'll just have to use these to get my shoulder strength up, I guess.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

So I'm interested in getting my first pair of boxing gloves and I had a question. What's the difference between bag gloves and regular gloves? I'm still really new and crappy, so I'm just wailing away on the heavy bags at the moment, but I'm kinda getting tired of using the gym's nasty leftovers.

Should I get a cheapo pair of bag gloves or just get a good quality regular set of gloves now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

So I switched gyms from a kind of laid-back boxing gym to a more competitive-minded kickboxing gym and I couldn't be happier. Things are great right now.

Except that I'm 30 and my legs aren't as limber as they used to be! We did a million squats and some kicks, and I think I pulled a muscle or something. High-inner-thigh, hip area, feels like the tendon is all sore. Is there anything I can do besides wait it out?

That being said I'm loving everything and working on stretching my legs so I'm as flexible as I used to be. I think it'll work out.

Any good stretches you guys recommend as well?

Apparently Gabriel Varga is coming in to do a seminar sometime soon, so I really hit the jackpot with this new place. Totally stoked! :D

• Locked thread