Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I don't normally post in here but I happened to poke in when you're talking about maki komi.

You shouldn't be ending with maki komi when working with anyone to whom you feel even remotely friendly (so, hopefully, everyone). It has a high risk of injuring uke, a moderate risk of injuring tori, and more often than not happens as a result of kuzushi and tsukuri not being sufficient for kake to be easily performed with enough control; so you throw your weight into it, compromise your balance beyond your limits, and down you go. Somewhere in there we decided this was a good thing because guys were getting ippons.

If you can throw someone well without maki komi, it's also easy enough to add it in if you really must. But you're gonna hurt someone. And if that's your goal, there's better ways to do it through throwing. I find I learn a lot more when I'm not hurt. Throwing without having to rely on maki komi will result in better technique for uke and tori.

Crash pads are great, but being a bit more gentle in your work with someone who isn't proficient enough in ukemi for whatever you're working on is a better route, I've found.

And yeah, Nierbo, you'll be your own worst enemy in the beginning. ...and a long time after that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

With injuries to tori, inexperienced players can sometimes brace with arms and dislocate shoulders/wrists/elbows, or place shoulders into uke and separate their SC joint (especially with something like ouchigari performed maki komi style).

You can practice it without being hurt, I've thrown and been thrown with maki komi techniques without incident; I've also had accidents. Especially in competition.

Maki komi has its place, and it's entirely legitimate. My intent was to point out to someone fairly new that it's not something you must do, and that in my experience focusing on other techniques will result in a far better game.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

CivilDisobedience posted:

Cheers to that, especially if you've got even a slight weight advantage on your uke. Could I ask about your judo background btw? It sounds like you've been at it a while :)
To me, judo (and jujitsu) is about the weight difference being as small a factor as possible. If I'm even remotely hoping for a weight advantage, I feel like my probability for survival (or victory) isn't very good. If I've worked hard on my technique and my sensitivity to uke's balance/commitment, I'll have a better shot in any situation. I just assume I'm always going to be the smaller guy.

I've been doing judo for about 12 years, I think, and been really active for about seven of those. For about four years I was concurrently doing jujitsu, and outside of those years I did some kickboxing. Poorly.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I think we're saying the same thing. The purpose of my posting was to share my experience that the rest of my game improved when I stopped seeing maki komi as even much of an option. If you're preparing for competitive play, you should definitely experience it, but focusing on other aspects of judo will absolutely produce better results, and have for me personally.

CivilDisobedience posted:

Hey while we're on judo talk I'm curious what people think of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfI22dZ979A&feature=related it looks to me like it would be pretty effective, and might transfer well to no-gi/mma environments. What throw would you use to set this up?

E: Also I feel like I saw something similar in an Eddie Bravo vid once but I can't find it now
Seems like something you could enter into from rubber guard or some other sort of open guard, and should be doable without a gi. As for setting it up from a throw, I'm not sure right at this moment; don't do it with a seoinage like that, that's for sure. A failure of a sacrifice throw like tomoenage would allow you to move into something like that, perhaps.

That's a nasty little spot there. Nice. That other guy pretty clearly had no idea what to do on the ground, though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I had a badly torn meniscus at 19. They were able to put it back together with some sort of darts that would disappear after healing; not sure how that worked. It was better than removing it, which I was told can cause joint problems later in life. Last year I tore it again, but in an incredibly minor way. I wear a brace on it now and it's largely fine as long as I don't stand up in a particular way. Cross training, actual grappling and working out, running, etc. are all fine.

Obviously every case is different though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The best advice is to go visit them during the class time you're interested in. Any decent place will be willing to let you watch and talk to you. And if it's not what you're after, they may be able to recommend you a place that will interest you.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Taratang posted:

Higher belts are going to shut you down regardless, dial it back a notch and you might figure out a thing or two about how they're doing it.

I'm not saying you should never go hard or hesitate in going for subs but if you focus less on proving yourself and more on understanding the positions/transitions you'll see your game come along much more quickly.
Some of the best advice. Keep things slow so you can problem solve and not cover up mistakes. Designate a time at the end of class or one workout a week or whatever for "go time."

One thing I like to do is go very slow and talk out exactly what you are doing. Your partner's job is to do the same and follow along. You'll find a lot of superfluous movement and learn to cut it out. Your partner can also give you great feedback about where your weight is, when he feels vulnerable (and you may not notice it), etc.

I worked out with Henry Akins about a week ago when he was visiting some friends here. We did just that, super slow, and it was a blast and I learned a lot.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 7, 2012

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

KingColliwog posted:

Currently working on my drop Seoi, getting great results and I love how well it combines with my other techniques (Ko uchi Gari mainly).
Also trying to come up with a strategy for people who are going backward all the time, what do you do against them? I can sometime get them with my Ko Uchi, but if they manage to stay far away I have a lot of trouble doing anything.
I was working on something like this last night. I'm not sure how this will translate to writing, but here goes.

If I'm attacking with kouchigari, I have to go all out. When the foot I want of uke's is forward, I drive with my back foot, focusing on pushing my hips in as close to him as possible and keeping posture best I can. Usually my hips end up low, close to his knees. My forward, reaping foot then does a motion a lot like a side fall, taking away that leg of uke's (keep your foot low to the ground, pinky toe dragging). I drive my HIPS through his; so my leg is taking away his base, my hips are driving down through his. Pushing with your arms will gently caress this up, as you'll push back and give him time/reason to step with his other foot. Focusing on his hips and dropping down will negate that.

I think about making a circle: my forward reaping foot comes straight toward me, my hips go forward and down. If you're going down to the ground with him, tuck that head.

When you do this, if you shoot your attacking foot in very deep and he steps out of it, bring your other foot up and you're in a good spot for hip throw of your choice, and drop seoinage would work. What I've found is that I actually end up throwing it off of the other side of his hip, which sucks (for him).

You may end up having to learn to do kouchigari on your non dominant side, too. All ashiwaza should be learned this way, in my opinion.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I am not just positioning myself for seoinage. I want that kocuhigari, but if uke reacts well enough that it's going to be too much work, seoinage is probably a good option. There are a lot of things that live off a failure of advancing kouchigari.

Should uke step out of the kouchigari before you begin the kake part of the throw, you place your weight on that foot then you bring your other up to prepare for the hip throw. This is possible because you're shooting in with your foot low to the ground, not way up by the knee. The driving with the hip happens as you reap with the foot (and that driving is the kake). If you've begun to reap his foot (dragging your little toe, hooked behind his ankle), you've only done it because he has not been able to step out. You'll know if you have the throw BEFORE you begin the reap. The huge part of this is that if he is even remotely successful at avoiding the beginning of the kouchigari, gently caress it and move on.

Your video shows a great kouchimakikomi. If Hiraoka had not been able to get his foot behind uke's, then he could have moved on to what we're talking about here and pulled his foot/hip up for the shoulder throw. He had options before he actually reaped (not necessary though, of course).

I'm generally cautioning against pushing with your hands. What Hiraoka does is great, he does more of popping uke's arms up to get his head under (your head can be over, too, though) and a moment of kuzushi. Hands can be more useful with kouchigari if uke is advancing. Do not use uke as support.

This kouchigari doesn't HAVE to end in makikomi, but it's a likely outcome in competition. If you're working in some sort of sacrifice of your own balance to that degree before kake... I would advise not doing that.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

CaptainScraps posted:

This is more for boxing but when people freak the gently caress out and start going nuts and throwing power shots, I stop the action and say "Hey. Chill out. We're not working to kill each other here."
Pretty much this.

Try to avoid having beginners work with each other or otherwise lower ranks that have a certain energy to them. Or, let them go hog wild on an experienced person and let the experienced person be chill until the young guy is gassed and eventually they'll figure it out (as long as you tell them what just happened).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I'd be weary of any place that has one instructor and nothing but very low ranks, and those low ranks are rough on new students (probably get it from the instructor, it sounds like). Or was this an anomaly and normally there's a good variety of people?

Choking the poo poo out of a beginner and making your trachea sore is pretty lovely and not really safe.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Xguard86 posted:

Maybe not at your gym but someone puts eye of the tiger on at boxing and bjj at least once a week.
gently caress you if you don't have the Rocky IV soundtrack going at all times

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Cyphoderus posted:

I know the correct answer to the issue is "shut up, don't panic, keep training and eventually things will fall into place". But somehow "eventually" isn't doing its job of making me secure, and I'm going to ask anyway.

How do you guys deal with the issue that BJJ is a huge thing that's more complex than I could ever possibly imagine and it's composed entirely of details and exceptions to the rule and anything you get wrong will screw you over badly and it's a big, incomprehensible, uncaring universe of hooks, sweeps, and painful chokes?
Everyone that you look at and think "Well poo poo he's pretty good" has been exactly where you are. They got where they are now by working hard and listening to people better than them. It's pretty much the same as learning anything really, really, well. BJJ and other martial arts just have a very concrete demonstration of when things are wrong.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

niethan posted:

If touching people is disgusting to you maybe you should switch to tennis or something
Yeah if you're focused on what people are wearing and the fact that this poo poo makes you sweaty you need to re-examine your priorities

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

In 12 years I've never had any sort of infection that could be caused by jujitsu or judo, how about you just use soap and make sure the mat is clean after every class??? idk

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Same in about 8 years, we clean the mats and I shower after class and dont grapple with people that have infections. I dont get how a sport where youre supposed to be hurting other people and rolling around with them manages to attract so many hypochondriac nerds who hate being uncomfortable
forums.somethingawful.com

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Christoff posted:

Speaking of gi talk mine smells rancid. Any tips? Going to throw vinegar in the wash with it. Possibly a bit of bleach.
Washing it more regularly is the best way to make sure it never smells bad. Obviously don't mix vinegar with bleach.

You can soak it in bleach for a while, but understand you're shortening the life of the gi. Bleach breaks apart cotton fibers very well. I used to bleach my gi all the time; one day the sleeve ripped off except for the second layer on the shoulder. The fibers had weakened.

I wash mine after every very sweaty workout and every other workout if we don't get drenched. I use the Febreeze Sport Tide and it genuinely seems to work well in reducing odors.

kimbo305 posted:

I read a blog post by a microbiologist BJJ practitioner that said the only thing you can do to reduce risk is to wash as soon after as possible. Soap doesn't matter; only physical agitation and removal of the germs. A rash guard doesn't help cuz the sweat carrying bacteria soaks right through and onto your skin. It's worse if you use it and don't wash it as much as you need to to remove germs.
Yeah I mean if you want to wear one fine but don't think it's really gonna actually make you less likely to get some infection. It's likely more dependent upon your own skin chemistry and sensitivity and your hygiene habits. 12 years, three countries, vinyl, rubber, tatami, cloth-covered mats in all manners of maintenance, I've never had an infection and never known anyone who has.

Maybe I just don't work out hard enough and some wicked infections and poo poo are for real warriors

Anecdote anecdote

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Fontoyn posted:

After the first round I really didn't feel anything he threw at me. My head's made of something else; after the fight the boxer told me he'd never hit anyone that hard and not seen them go down, drat.

I did a lot of stupid poo poo during the fight:
1. winked at girls in the crowd
2. Yelled how not tired I was at my opponent's corner during the fight
3. Kept my hands down
actually those first two things own

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

He's pretty much spot on. Grappling arts are the in thing right now because of UFC. That's fine. Just understand the more global arena you live in.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I've never seen anyone wear a suit like that. Why?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I loving hate knives and in however long I've been doing this I always get "cut" someway when working against them. It's just a matter of how bad it's gonna be. I work out with a former officer that was a prison guard and felony arrest officer for 20 something years. He knows how knives work and doesn't do that "Okay, overhead strike, okay, stab, okay, backhand slash." It's just like that first video.

Get out of the way, run, grab and throw poo poo or something. That's about the best defense.

Of course the devil's in the details

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I was working out at a place I visit occasionally and they were doing defenses and escapes for when your opponent has your back. I was working with a huge guy, well over 6 feet, out weighted me by probably 70 pounds. Our drill involved pushing back into the guy, staying on your toes, and doing some things I forget, and he was all kinds of successful and I couldn't do a thing because it seemed to require a lot of strength. I talked to the guy about it and his advice ended up being "well, I guess don't let me get your back." Great advice, but doesn't help us on our drill.

I got tired of it and started doing some things very similar to that video, (that stuff about placing your hands at the beginning is "oh poo poo he's on my back 101") but I tend to think about scooting down at the same time. That was much more successful. Another time working with people much bigger than me paid off.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Any body triangle/seatbelt or, worse, crossed legs while you have someone's back, is a bad idea as you're asking for a very quick ankle lock. If someone doesn't know about that counter, or isn't good at dealing with your choke, they may not lock your ankle before you choke them. But I'd rather not take that risk.

Here's a video by a guy who knows a few things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUnYDMXcsKo

e: and you don't necessarily have to get your foot between your opponent's ankle and the ground, on top of it is fine. But what is in the video is best. It's that manipulation of the ankle you're after, several ways to get there.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 25, 2012

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Oh okay. Yeah different terminology there.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

What on earth

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Been a fan of this one a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok8OHYQdDDI

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Just say "whatever" and don't engage him in conversation about it? Who cares what he thinks.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

martial arts are for people like to bow deeply to the mat and talk a lot during work outs about energy

combat sports are for people who like huge stickers on their lifted pickups and wearing affliction clothing

Is everyone happy now? Equal insults. Who cares

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yeah that would dishearten me, too. Your analogy with a BJJ or judo gi is not quite accurate, because you already have designated apparal in muay thai (shorts, gloves, etc.). I'm not forced to buy my school's gi or anything.

If the quality of instruction doesn't diminish and you still enjoy going, though, you just need to decide if the extra sixty bucks or whatever is worth it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I think it's useful. I tend to use it with bigger (fat) guys that I would prefer not be on top of me, even if they're in my guard. If you're good with your legs and hips then learning to move in and out of it quickly to normal guard, scissor guard, etc. and frustrate people is, frankly, a lot of fun.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Kumo Jr. posted:

The notion of a judo player diving over an opponent, and giving up superior position to attack an arm is pure nonsense.
I can't speak to any of the rest of that but I learned to do this fairly early in situations where it's just That Open.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The only time I've seen sore knees from practice is when a big guy likes to do drop seoinage a lot or something similar, and do it poorly.

So, perhaps look at why your knees are hurting? If it's joint pain related to tendons/ligaments/cartilage and not necessarily from impact, you may just have bad knees, and welcome to my world.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

From what I understand, great care in hand to hand combat is only given in special forces type units, and even then it's not exactly practical training for people who live in civilization (in that it really is dangerous). So, yeah, most of that military combat stuff is silly. I work out with a guy who is 58 years old and looks 35; he was in things that he can't really talk about and is real quiet, but he sure has taught me a lot and sees things differently than most people. He's where I get the "yeah, that stuff isn't really for you" information.

Most people I've met that are interested is that kinda thing are idiots anyway and they're the ones that end up just getting hurt in practice trying to do something they saw on the internet.

Take boxing/kickboxing/judo/jujitsu/whatever and have fun and understand that it's really not about beating people up. At least not entirely.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

And my experience in working with people who were in the military and walk onto the mat thinking they're gonna be bad dudes hasn't left me with much respect for most of their training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Well, alright. Cool post man

• Locked thread