Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Yes, that is what usually happens when a group of people focus on something for generations. Boxer has the best punches, wrestlers the best takedowns, Grapplers the best submissions etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is what I say when people ask what sambo is. I just say it's a Russian sport that's kind of like wrestling. I don't ever mention that I train MMA or striking, because people will almost always interpret that as you trying to act tough or that you are a violent person.

I should start doing this as well whenever i am around drunk people. I'm covered in bruises from this weekend because people wanted to play wrestle and theory craft about who would win in a fight between me and that person. From now on I'm practicing Yoga when someone asks.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

The first time i was about to be choked unconscious was a gi choke from guard and the only thing i tried to do was frantically break his grip with zero technique what so ever. The weird thing is that you don't really feel like you need to tap because you feel you are doing fine, you can still breath and there is hardly any pain, just pressure.

And of course i didn't tap :smug:

(The bell saved my rear end)

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Or toenail against toenail :cry:

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Neurosis posted:

It is hard to get good grips on the arms of really fat guys. Very irritating.

Just do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiX1CJE3STY&feature=related

Is that so difficult?

Yes, yes it is

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

They must have held some grudge, fighting bareknuckle for like 10 minutes straight.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Grow?

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

It's awesome until you have to study Japanese for your belt promotions :emo:

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

So, I'll be doing a few private lessons with him- but I've never actually really grappled or instructed anyone his size, so I'm a little bit unsure on what works and what doesn't. I figure I'd ask my instructor next chance I get, and otherwise just try to feel my way forwards, but I'd appreciate any helpful anecdotes or experiences from anyone who has trained with larger people!

E: VV That's excellent advice, thanks! VV

Speaking as a former 300 pound fatass, make him love fighting from his back. Like, as a heavy guy he will naturally have a much easier time maintaining mount or side control etc on people. But it won't be because of skill, and he will be self conscious about that as well, and if he is a timid guy having him pull guard and try for sweeps or submissions from his back will "even" the playing field a little. This brings the attention away from his weight to his actual skill. This of course varies as a bunch of fat guys couldn't care less, but from what you wrote he seems like the type to think like this.

Also don't let him get mount, you will be stuck there!

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

I haven't really had any big injuries in BJJ yet except for stupid things like trying to get out of Americanas and have a bad shoulder for 3 months after. But there is one thing that i think would drastically increase the injury stastistic if it was recorded.

My toes. Oh god my toes! I wish any gi came with wrestling shoes. I have been out for over a year now due to an ankle injury (from soccer of course) but my big toe is still hurting a little.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

The video got something about Martial arts right at least, there is a lot of getting hit in the dick.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

More annoying than offensive I would say.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

One of those videos is not like the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

As other people mentioned, find someone to spar with who will not be an rear end in a top hat. Nothing can discourage a beginner more than getting clowned by someone with a big ego who beat you up after 5 total boxing classes. Not only is your technique horrible but you'll be so out of breath after the first 2 minutes that you can barely keep your hands up. It sucked and was one of the reasons I stopped going for a good while.

• Locked thread