Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
I started at a muay thai class a few weeks ago, and just got some gloves and wraps. I watched a couple different youtube videos on wrapping your hands and tried a few different methods, but I'm not sure which one is the best. Any suggestions on the best way to wrap my hands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

I watched a lot of boxing growing up. Plus you can see lots of glaring holes in my punches and defense. Like I said I had been fairly athletic before I got into boxing. I played football and fenced all four years of high school plus a bit of wrestling(up until I experienced my first oil-check and got really mad).

Beginner question: Do oil checks happen in BJJ as well?

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
Jean Charles Skarbowsky is teaching at my gym tonight and tomorrow. He's been in town since last week, and so far he's chipped a few teeth, bruised a few ribs, and handed out plenty of hematomas.

I've been going to the gym for less than 2 months, so I'm not going to be sparring with him, so I should be ok.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Stabbing Spork posted:

Jean Charles Skarbowsky is teaching at my gym tonight and tomorrow. He's been in town since last week, and so far he's chipped a few teeth, bruised a few ribs, and handed out plenty of hematomas.

Just got back from this training session. Jean Charles is a goddamn comedian. He is always joking around and having fun. I couldn't tell if he was drunk or not, and he was just drinking water during the class. It was a small class, like 10 people, and he already knew the names of some of the students, and he introduced himself to everyone else.
The only scary part for me was when he asked me to hold pads for him so he could demonstrate a combo. He wasn't wearing gloves or anything, so I was worried about his hands, then he hit me with a teep out of nowhere that put me on my back.
Super nice guy though.
(I escaped before sparring started)

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
The gym I signed up for has dedicated Muay Thai and BJJ classes every day, with bridge classes like "MMA" or "takedowns" once or twice a week. Those classes are meant for the students that are already proficient in MT and BJJ, but you also end up with kids signing up, and just showing up for the MMA classes once a week, thinking that they're going to end up in the UFC.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Kumo Jr. posted:

Let's talk about retarded pricing for a minute. I was considering going to train at one of the less popular/known gyms in town for a seminar with Tito Ortiz. The gym ballparked the seminar at $80, and I was trying to decide whether or not I was interested.

Randy Couture was charging something like $150 for a 1 day seminar in toronto. He started with like 45 mins of cardio to weed out all the people who don't actually train.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Paul Pot posted:

MT guy, just get cheap running shorts. MMA shorts if you want something more expensive, MT shorts look atrocious.

MT shorts are awesome. Just wear compression shorts underneath because I don't want to see your balls.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
I need to get some headgear for Muay Thai sparring, any recommendations?

The standard at the gym seems to be the Twins HGL 3, which I can get online for $50.
But I need my brain for work and stuff, so I wouldn't mind spending more for better protection. Has anyone used the Twins HGL 9 or HGL10? They are around $125 but if they're better protection, I'll get one.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Paul Pot posted:

I'd recommend this here for regular sparring http://www.sharkwearsports.com/top-ten-avantgarde-head-guard-p-31.html and the Winning FG-2900 later for hard sparring sessions.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't even think about how the HGL9 would limit my field of vision. The headgear you listed looks good, and I'll probably one.
Most the guys in the gym are pretty relaxed, so I'm not worried too worried about getting my head knocked off right away. I was looking for some options apart from the basic twins headgerar.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

mewse posted:

Nthing the "just go" suggestion. Start training and start eating, you're lucky you don't have a bunch of flab to trim off your frame starting out.

Just don't eat right before your first class and throw up. like I did.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Gym is N1 Thai Academy in Ottawa (Canada!)
http://www.n1thai.com/

The site is pretty ... basic haha

Wow, another Ottawa Muay Thai goon. Didn't think that would happen.
I've been training at the Ottawa Academy of Martial arts for about a year now and I've been loving it. There's usually a couple N1 guys competing at the Throwdowns or Wreck MMA's, so maybe I'll see you next time.
And go to the Skarbowsky seminar if you can, in his technique classes he has good info for people of all levels. Just be careful in sparring, last time he was here he chipped someones tooth, and hurt someone elses rib.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Israfel posted:

I found a site with pretty decent prices but I'm a little wary of scamming, particularly since this site is advertising gloves in size and color options the main Fairtex site doesn't seem to have and for about 40$ cheaper. http://www.muaythai-fighting.com/fairtex-super-sparring-gloves-locked-thumb-bgv5.html if anyone wants to have a look. Is it legit or is something shady going on?

I ordered my gloves and shin pads from this site, both twins, and they came just fine. Like 50% of the people at my gym have twins gloves, and they hold up great. The more experienced guys seem to get Rivals gloves, which are more comfortable, but don't hold up as long.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
Yeah you shouldn't have to get your own set of thai pads, or suitcase pad. But if you have money to spare, and someone to do drills with on your own time, go for it.
Do people use belly pads regularly? I've only seen a couple people use them for specific drills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
I got the Twins shin guards, and gloves from muaythai-fighting.com. The gloves are comfortable, and holding up ok, but the shin guards do shift around a bit when I use them.
At my gym most people use Twins, haybusa, or Rivals gloves, and twins, fairtex, or top king shin guards. And just use the 16oz gloves for hitting pads too.

• Locked thread