Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Nierbo posted:

Thats a really good link, thankyou. I've been thinking about changing from Judo to BJJ because I find I have more interest in the ground work and we don't exactly do much any more, especially as a comp is coming up. I probably won't be able to due to financial restrictions but its always in the back of my mind.
On another good note, me and one other white belt got an hour and a half of private coaching with a 6th degree Judo black belt (he's the father of our current instructor). Thats two amazing sessions in a row now. He's the former Australian champion and Oceania champion and was one of our reps to the world championships. He's done so much for the sport of Judo in Aus, I can't believe they only charge 5 dollars per lesson. In an effort to show my appreciation I've volunteered to help clean the whole dojo on the weekend. It almost seems silly to want to walk away from that kind of amazing instruction but I've really got the BJJ itch. Maybe I'll leave Judo when/if all these awesome instructors go elsewhere.
And thanks to everyone who answered all of my silly questions in the previous thread.

e: Oh yeah, I like the op too. You always have good contributions xguard.

Quality judo is better than lovely BJJ. But it also depends on the other people in class; are they any good/challange for you? This is your first Martial Art, so just stick with it the one for awhile so you can get a sense how things go in this world of martial arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Judo is a lot more explosive and high paced due to its ruleset than BJJ. In my experience, (straight)Judo guys are like ADHD Jiujitsu guys with standup throwing skills. If they combine it with the power of BJJ, they often become really explosive players.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Dr. Miracle posted:

Hey, what's the general consensus on Systema? There's a place near me that teaches it, and it sounds ok, but I tend to be suspicious of anything claiming to be hardcore military killing skills. Just thought I'd get an idea before I go check it out.

Systema is for you if you want the russian version of yellow bamboo kung fu; e.g. mystical powers that only work on classmates that have been coming for awhile.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Smegmatron posted:

Any advice on escaping a mount or side control? I'm getting pretty decent at not ending up there in the first place, but once I'm there in pretty much hosed. I've been shown one mount escape that works for me (control an arm and leg on the same side and buck them off) but it's pretty easy to predict and avoid.

I've been shown how to try and hip escape out of side control if they aren't controlling my head and how to fix that if they are, but I guess I'm either not doing it right or they're seeing it coming and preventing it because I have never once managed to so either of these things during a roll.

Maybe the escape works, but you're doing it wrong? You could have all kinds of angles and stuff wrong. If you've been 'shown' a move, it doesn't mean you actually can pull it off. Even if you have drilled it twenty times it doesn't guarantee it will always work. But, I'm going out on a limb here, because I've been training every day for the past four years and I'm still improving my very basic side control escape. So, maybe you know the right thing, but you're not executing the move correctly. And unless you're a blackbelt, that's probably the case :)

Xguard86 posted:

Muay Thai today is all about the ring and competition rules, but it has historical roots back to more NHB fighting. So, there might technically be headbutts in there, just like how there are throws and wristlocks floating around, but I don't think any MT fighters practice that stuff today.

I got wristlocked standing by a kickboxer at Vos gym last week. Very embarrassing. It was with mma gloves and the guy can grapple, but it is primarily a Muay (Dutch) school. I've also seen others like gently caress around with it. They do do a lot of little sweeps and throws though. Very surprised as I wasn't prepared for them at all when they started hitting me up with them.

(Headbutts I don't know, but look at Bas Rutten's self defense tapes. He's all about a properly timed headbutt - i think he starts his dengadangadeng combination from it even. Maybe it used to be taught more extensively lol.)

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Yuns posted:

I also disagree with Senor P and imtheism. BJJ rank doesn't just mean competition performance although competition performance is one critical component. BJJ rank also encompasses knowing, understanding and being able to execute in a live situation a particular curriculum of technique. I've seen at the low levels including white and blue belt a lot of one trick ponies and excellent athletes do well in competition but this alone isn't enough for promotion. They have to at least be able to know and execute certain fundamentals or else we'd just promote every guy with a fast shot to blue belt on the spot. My gym is a competition oriented one and we still expect a certain combination of knowledge, ability and performance to be promoted.

Definitely this.

Athleticism or being a good wrestler often wins white belt tournaments by the heap. Are those people automatically knowledgable enough to be a blue belt in brazillian jiujitsu? That has not been tested. Lots of good wrestlers loving suck at jiujitsu. They win white belt tournaments but then cant get their head out of their rear end to actually learn jiujitsu or good technique.

You can't give yourself rank in BJJ. You can give yourself rank in whatever martial art you make up though. And you can tell (and prove) to other people that the blue belt in say, imtheism jiujiutsu, is equal to a brazilian jiujitsu blue belt.

Only a person 'In' Brazilian Jiujitsu can give you a rank in Brazilian jiujitsu.

Otherwise I'd give myself a (Kyokushin) karate black belt right here because I feel my striking is at that level :)

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Fontoyn posted:

Yeah the bolded part is basically me. Where that sticks in my case is when the blue belts at my gym aren't a good enough example of what you can become when you line up conditioning and practice. I shouldn't be able to submit them the majority of the time just by being more athletic if they're really deserving of their rank, right?

depends on how big you are, what your previous experience is and how big they are. Are they athletic vs non-athletic. Its all so individual.

But generally, against a blue belt of equal size, a (new) white belt, should get schooled. Maybe your school has a lower standard for blue belts. But there is a difference between competition and knowledge and a brazillian jiujitsu rank signifies a certain level in both I'd say.

(Not if you're a college wrestler. Or state chap. But otherwise, if you just wrestled a bit in high school, a blue belt your size should get taken down by you but then he should submit you time and again.)

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Do you know how to do clinchwork, knees, or kick catching? It seems pointless to go too far out of your comfort zone technique-wise.

If it were me, I would spend a whole class refining their jab and forcing them to judge distance carefully.

This guy is right.

Fighters (MMA) rarely know what they really need. They (we) think we need the special dim mak to win. Little has changed in superstition, but not in reality. What wins is the basic poo poo.

In the past year I have not learned a new Jiujitsu 'move' but I learned so goddamn much about the ones I already knew, I've risen ten powerlevels.

Work on their basic boxing.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Dirp posted:

How do I deal with someone who is really loving good at catching jabs and immediately throwing a cross back? One of my instructors can do this at will and it pretty much completely eliminates my left hand.

I try faking it and he never takes the bait but as soon as I throw a jab I'm getting my hand swatted down ever so slightly and a cross in my face instantaneously.

A lot of advice was given, I haven't read it all. But it read mostly from an (American) BJJ perspective : find a new technique to counter the other technique. Every technique has a specific counter technique and a black belt knows them all.

(To me) this is Not true at all.

I'm willing to say with 99% certainty, that your Jab just sucks (compared to your instructor). Work on your basics. Hell, you know that straight right is coming, why is it even hitting you? you have two hands right?

Train more. Get a better jab (quicker, harder so he has to respect it (you), more accurate, less obvious telegraphing, etc). Also, your instructor showed you how to jab probably, or has seen you jab a million times. he's going to know what your body looks like when you're about to jab.

The solution is, IMO, not in a specific counter combination.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Nierbo posted:

And that was the perfect chance to discuss whether I was right or wrong, which you all did and I learnt from it and we all had fun.

VV Cmon niethan, stop being a grumpy pants all the time. If I knew everything, I wouldn't be on here making an rear end of myself now would I?

No seriously, the thing is, stop defending yourself. Sometimes people give you criticism (in martial arts, but martial arts = life) and you should just nod and accept it. Not try to justify your behaviour in regards to that comment. Your cup is full and you refuse to empty it, to paraphrase a 'famous' (Tao) concept used in many Martial Arts.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Office Sheep posted:

So after 4 months of judo and 3 BJJ classes I'm considering entering BJJ Tournament. The instructor at BJJ says I should be fine at the beginner skill level. In anyone's experience is this a good or bad idea?

Any tips? It's too bad pins don't score cause I can pass guard fine and sweep fine. Whenever I go for submissions things go bad.

Compete.

Don't worry, it's your first competition.

Have fun & go there with your team.

Have an awesome day of grappling (and waiting for forever).

Train twice as hard on monday.

:)

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
you can annihilate lots of (poor) throws with a proper sprawl/hip movement. Anytime they start the throw, sprawl counter to them, if you do it very hard you (can) ruin their spine. (So safe doing it super hard for competition).

It's more of a vertical sprawl, but a sprawl.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

swmmrmanshen posted:

I see your tapout, and raise you an accidental busted lip. Also, what do you goons think of rolling/randori with girls in general? My general principle is that they are there to be martial artists and athletes, so they don't want to be "treated like a girl" (Whatever the hell that means anymore) and treated as a peer. At the same time, if they are smaller than me, I'll treat it like working with any smaller judoka, focus on technique, move light, don't force anything.

Person in a Gi is a person in a Gi. Treat them like you would any other person in a Gi. If they're not as strong, don't use strength, if they're spazzy, control them. You should figure this out through careful practice.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Nikolovar posted:

Hi. BJJ goonette here, I've been training two hours a week for about five months now and I'm still breaking in my white belt but I'm loving it. I did randori for the first time today and I guess I did alright. We were working from guard and I went from in-guard to side controlling my partner (who wasn't going easy on me at all) a couple of times. :unsmith: I'm considering upping the number of classes I do per week, seeing how little I'm able to do with a non-compliant partner. I'm on a six month, two days per week plan which is ending soon so I'll probably go for three times a week next.

Oh yeah, question. How the hell do I get someone's grips off of my sleeves? I was able to do it with my first partner(she had skinny girl wrists and small hands) but not my second(big handed dude, thick wrists)?

In my opinion; continue as you are. You're about to up clases so you'll see some improvement probably. But realize that all your classmates are taking the same classes and also progressing; you'll see your results when new guys come in.

Sleeves are sleeves. Don't let them grip them. Otherwise, unless they're an easy break, just accept it (some people have electricians or Judo grip, I dont know which is worse) and use it. They only have control of your sleeve, but in essences, you now also dictates where their arm goes. After a bit of practice sleeve gripping turns into something that is mostly annoying, but something you can deal with.

(I don't really use the GI when I roll gi though.)

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
I think it mostly has to do with the fact that the best-easiest pressure point is the chin and the easiest way to press it is by punching it.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Nierbo posted:

I have never practised kung fu but from what I've read in this and previous threads, a shaolin kung fu academy should have a strong focus on balance and yoga related exercises but a lot of the advanced stuff is high impact. You'll have to go there and watch a class and see the sort of things they do to make a real decision on whether it suits you or not and to make sure they're not doing any crazy mystical stuff. Like kimbo said, most forms of kung fu will be hard on your knees especially with those quick springy movements. If you want to start out slower, search for yoga or qigong in your area and take a few classes and see how you cope.
Sorry to hear about your arthritis by the way. My dad has terrible arthritis in his hands and we can't weight lift together or do anything really, I hope whatever exercise you start can help.

VV Of course they aren't related. I was providing an alternative to starting kung fu. i.e. if the yoga is too much, definitely don't take the next step to trying something more taxing.
e2: many western kung fu schools do take some things from yoga though

Nierbo,

How do you know all this poo poo if you started with judo like two months ago and just got your yellow belt.

You donīt. I donīt know it either. Do not feel the responsibility to weigh in on questions you have no relevant experience with. It happens every time. Its great that youre enthusiastic but `STFU and trainī applies to us all.

not trying to pick a fight with you (again, lol. no fighting in the fighting thread gentlemen).

Arthritis guy, seek a doctor or physiologist. Ask him to give you advice. Arthritis sounds terrible and I can wait until I get it. Preferably very long.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Ligur posted:

You get bouncer jobs through friends, not ads. A friend has a friend who works the door and needs someone to cover a few shifts, or you are on talking terms with a local barkeep and it comes up he needs someone on the door next Saturday but the regular guy left town or is in in jail/hospital or something.

So at that point you tell them about being a boxer or shootfighter or something and that's when the easy comes.

Most bouncers and doormen (no matter what part of the world you live in) seem to be in a semi-criminal mob fraternity of sorts anyway and those in any area know each other, so the best way to get work on a door is to know one of them...

This is how it works from my experience. The owner will ask his other bouncers etc who knows a guy who can fill in because Jack can't come in tonight then if you know them you talk to them, and generally it doesn't matter poo poo what MA you know, they will just take the guy everyone is friends with and is biggest. Then, next time someone is sick, and they like you, they call you again and again until someone ragequits/causes too many fights/fucks the owners current GF/etc and you have the spot.

Easy $60-100 bucks a night if you're willing to put up with all the bar drama as well as hating night life, fighting stupid kids who will try to fight everyone, and generally that. You do get bar skanks though, if you're willing to accept STD's

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yep, this goes for any other situation too, really. Say if you're in someone's guard and they go for your eyes, you bury your face in their chest.

First of all, why can they sit up to reach your face to scratch if you're in their guard.

Second of all, if they sit up, why isnt a straight right landing in their face as they do so?

If eyepokes are allowed, so are strikes, right?

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I don't think you understand how the guard works. You don't need to "sit up" to reach someone's face.

Not to have a bullshit fight on the internet, but if you let him reach your face while you're in his guard you are doing something wrong as the top guy.

Yes he can try to bring you down to him. but why are you letting him? it is the top guys lack of skill which lets the bottom guy pull top guy down in whatever way. top guy should be able to maintain position.

If you are in his guard in an MMA/realfight situation, you should not be pulled down using whatever; hips, legs, hands etc, all good ways to bring you down to him, but if you do what youre supposed to be doing, it should all be in vain because you're not giving him any of those as options.

And I certainly can't believe that you think that the top guy should just lay in/on the bottom guys guard?

Smegmatron posted:

Are you one of those weirdos who gets off on pain and has a broken elbow fetish?

I understand you can armbar from guard. But see the above point; Top guy has to make a mistake for bottom guy to take op guys arm for an armbar/kimura/guard attack. You can only force moves on people who are weaker than you. And what's the point of that, since you can already beat them?

(Check this/the previous thread, I have some videos that'll show you that I've been competing/training for awhile if you doubt my credibility as a martial artist.)

REGARDLESS, this seems like a derail, we were on the subject of eyepokes ?

Syphilis Fish fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 13, 2011

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What are you talking about? Guard is a control position. If you're sitting postured up, even if the guy has his legs around you, you're not really in guard. Also the idea that if you're not posturing you're "doing something wrong" is hilarious. There are a lot of passes that don't involve posturing up.

The top guy has to make a mistake...like throwing punches from guard? That's, like, exactly what the bottom guy wants you to do to let him go for an armbar. Plus, if you "never made a mistake" you wouldn't be in guard in the first place. Fights don't always go exactly as you would like, because you've got a resisting opponent trying to exert his will on you. And don't pull the "I train" card, virtually everyone in this thread trains.

First of all, I'm pretty sure that the textbook definition of being in someone's guard is : bottom guy is on his back & has his legs around top guy who is sitting up.

If you think throwing punches from guard is a mistake, then I will concede the argument to you. There is no arguing with someone who thinks that, except for gong sau. From my point of view, you have some clue what you're talking about, but believe to be infallible, grappled a whole year now?

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What I meant was that the armbar is a counter to someone throwing punches from a high posture in guard, and that the attitude that you would literally always be postured up in guard unless you "made a mistake" (completely ignoring the fact that you're not sparring with a mannequin) was dumb. And cut out the sarcastic poo poo with "grappled a whole year now?", it makes you look like a douchebag. I don't think my grappling knowledge is infallible at all, but the idea that someone will never be able to reach your head in guard unless you let them is silly. I guess that's why triangle and guillotine chokes literally never happen in high-level MMA :downs:

Last post; going back to the original argument;

If you are in someone's guard, and he can reach your eyes, you are loving up.

That's it. That's what I've been saying from the beginning, before we got distracted with what-if's and such. If you want to continue thinking you are right still, go ahead. I'm not going to argue what-if's, there are limitless counters and counters to counters.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Keep using your judo terms. It makes me look up the moves on youtube etc, so then I learn a (new) throw or at least watch a video on a throw I knew but probably havent done in awhile.

So those terms serve an awesome educational purpose of creating interest into wtf you are talking about.

<3

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
^^^^

A) You should do kickboxing. gently caress Krav, we live Kickboxing Capital of the world.

B) See above. No question about lineage when you can step into Vos or Meijeiro, or Aerts, or Bonjanski etc gym.

C) Like above.

:) Now where do you live so I can teach you groundwork/take you to a BJJ class that'll teach you groundwork.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Rhaka posted:

This is the best logo, fantastic.

Also hey, Dutch MA goons, look at that. Anyone live around Utrecht? I'd love to get punched in the face because of the internet.

I used to live and train in Amsterdam, but I had to move north. I still try to go to Vos Gym 2-3 times a week though, but mostly more Noord Holland. But I'd love to do a SA Dutch Goon Fight Meetup

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

haha all but 2 were on the mat. So, he only actually sexual assaulted someone twice if you don't count the "legitimate" wrestling incidents.

Also it was before practice, so what the hell was he doing? Warming up with some rear end play?

"Hey let me show you this new technique I've been working on..." is a common phrase before my jiujitsu classes

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
So for this legal immunity power to activate, do you need to look at your opponent during the bow or not? Do both parties consent hereby to standup if the ground fight gets stale / after 30 seconds?

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
IMO if you're training for Martial Arts you're doing it completely wrong.

You obviously don't have the time to focus on every little muscle like a bodybuilder as you indicated, and when the hell do you actually use only a single muscle? Never. Martial Arts use most of your body's muscles in conjunction.

so In my totally unscientific opinion, you should focus on either 5x5 (notice no curls whatsoever) or some sort of crossfit.

You do curls for the gurls, so they'll look at your pretty big arms. You need thin skinny arms so you can snake them in for arm triangles.

And generally, I lift in the morning m/w/f and train the same evening (BJJ)

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Training makes me so happy :)

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

niethan posted:

The easiest solution to that problem is to make it a work.

I like your attitude.

But yeah, your black belt should be able to toss a 320lb linebacker that doesnt want to move/get embarrassed in front of all the bitches he has to plough later. It might be super hard to get him to move.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

it is complacency. This is how you should treat whitebelts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PChWWkRS0MQ

they should all be destroyed.

Very true. I have been too lazy lately with my treatment of whitebelts because I have been teaching them and want to let that work. Now I have to remind myself (hard) not to have that attitude all the time when I roll.

In addition, give a whitebelt an inch and they will think they can rip your arm off and try. I am the doom of fools and I am back to destroy them.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

These are the two that most beginners should be doing. If you're too advanced for these then you'll probably already know what kind of workout you want to do.

http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html
http://goonlifter.wikispaces.com/sean10mm's+Modified+Starting+Strength

I still do 5x5 whenever Im unsure of what direction I want to take my weight training in. Whenever I'm in a rut or whatever, I try 5x5 and it just awakens.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Every attack should have the intent to win the fight/kill the opponent or he won't be forced to defend it.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I'm a brown belt (ikkyu) in Judo with a couple stripes because I kept refusing my shodan to keep sandbagging in tournaments (that's not completely true tbh I just didn't think I was ready yet) and they were determined to award me something anyway.

And the thing is that Turtle is as much a defensive position as guard (I do play a lot like Telles, since someone mentioned it). They pass your guard, you turtle instead of giving up side control, they commit weight into you and probably give you an arm too, you flip them and land in reverse scarf, mount and finish.

To reverse it, if you're sitting on your butt wanting me to come walk into your guard instead of fighting for top position, what are you waiting for, right?

E: Also yes slamming is a dick move but this is a group that teaches fishhooking as a legit way to raise a guy's head to RNC so there's definitely a double-standard going on

your jiujitsu guys sound like a bunch of bitches.

I do hate a Judo guys turtle, I have no idea how to attack it safely. (This guy is a world champion with 40lbs on me though)

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
knife fighting is only the natural evolution once you have mastered unarmed combat.

::crossarms:: ::smug::

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Omglosser posted:

You suck it up and take the fall? I really don't know what else to say. I let my girlfriend ippon me onto the hard ground and my arm didn't really help THAT much, anyway.
A class I quit going to used to make us gently throw one another and do breakfalls onto a 4" mat. It was really annoying. "Remember to breakfall!" I was just like "for what? He's setting me down like a baby." I even jumped up and did a straight backfall onto the normal floor to proof my point but having the wind knocked out of me didn't help my cause much.

STFU and do what your instructor tells you. Breakfalls are really important to learn to ALWAYS incorporate in your routine. When he's practicing throwing, you're practicing being thrown the right way so you can recover quickly and know where you are before that ADD Judoka is trying to wrench your arm off with his explosive power.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

niethan posted:

I'm assuming in bareknuckle boxing there are no regulations about smoking weed so he would literally be a normal well-adjusted guy by any standard.

there also seems to be a lot of money (for him; 60k!!) changing hands, and most of it is cash. Sounds like perfect for Nick Diaz. Also no pussy rear end rounds!

Syphilis Fish fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 21, 2011

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
This jetlag really hosed me up jiujitsu wise. I need sleep before I resume training. It was probably a mistake to try and do two classes the day after I flew for 20 hours. gently caress me, this was embarrassing how exhausted I was today.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
put the name of that gym out there. Thats an unreliable gym thats going to gently caress everyone over. If theyre ever going to have a fighter show up, he's going to either be sandbagging horribly (something like CaptainScraps said) or theyre not going to be worth fighting, because they apparently have no faith in their skills.

Put the name of that school out there so it can basically be 'blacklisted' or be known for its conduct. Same thing with specific sandbaggers like the son of the promoter story. Post it on bullshido etc, there will be a record of lovely gyms/untrustworthy matchmakers and that will help everyone.

Having a guy quit on you the day off, after you make weight is about one of the worst things ever. If he has a legit excuse, no problem, but a no show of a whole gym? Unless its massive staph infection, gently caress them and the poo poo gym they came out of. Budo spirit means you loving do what you agreed on, which is to show up to fight.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Kumo Jr. posted:

It's probably just the size/power advantage I'm seeing, but every time that guy pushes or shoulder checks the little guy goes flying. It's pretty cool, and I bet that little guy got the wind knocked out of him hard by the rhino charge.

That shoulder check in the video could totally work. I do it all the time in kickboxing. When they close you stand and brace and duck their strikes like you would anytime. Except you let them come forward unto your shoulder and you basically squat them up with force at an angle. I don't know if I describe it well. It's also something I've only succesfully done in sparring, I haven't tried it in an MMA fight yet. It is like a shot without you grabbing the other guy basically, just slamming him with your bodyweight. But make sure you lift him just an inch of the floor with your shoulder

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
yeah go slow at first. Your body will get used to taking abuse, but it will take time for it to get used to it, even if you've been out of it.

I currently train 1-2 times a day 5-6 days a week. but I'm trying to get back into training 2 times a day for 5-6 days a week. Once your body can take it, it's good. But it's hard to get back into a routine like that. I've quit lifting now though, to make room for more jiujitsu/kickboxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

-Rickson Gracie

(for real my friend is going to a Rickson seminar and you are required to wear only plain white gi's)

Rickson cared. Kron didn't. But it sure felt stupid being the only two blue gi's there. Except when he picked me out to show everything on ^_^

• Locked thread