Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah poo poo, it’s my primary too. Good retention even if the %age of new releases had slipped compared to other sites.

Ugh now I’m gonna have to touch some kind of filthy cryptoshit to upgrade one of my free accounts.

Nzbgeek accepts amazon gift cards. Too trustworthy? That's fine dognzb has you buying a t-shirt (or not really buying one). I'm starting to think credit card processors don't like indexers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dongattack posted:

I bought the dognzb t-shirt and it was all fine even if it felt sketchy as gently caress. They have been having pretty immense server issues the last few months and have been kinda hit and miss during that, but they took it down and upgraded their poo poo or something a few weeks ago and it has been working perfectly since then.

I was kinda ready to throw a pissfit about dog up until that point, but right now at least it seems pretty solid.

I went the nzbgeek amazon gift card route worked fine.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nothing pleases me more then the communities attitude of "well you should get x" "No I WILL NOT HELP YOU OR TELL YOU WHAT X IS WHAT ARE YOU? CRAZY?". I think I may need more indexers some of my more obscure stuff isn't being found.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 1, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Because a lot of these places actively search for users mentioning them and ban you. So yeah, people aren't going to risk access because you can't do 20 seconds of googlin', sorry bud.

Oh yeah it's totally easy to do 20 seconds googling for something you don't know the name of! Wait you don't know the name of it already? Man what the gently caress are you doing here get out! I'm trying to help you but you clearly need more experience to get my cryptic paranoid hinting. No I won't tell you over private message, you might be setting me up to lose my indexer account!

It doesn't matter much just makes the whole experience more hostile towards new users/people who don't follow the community closely.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 1, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

6box seems to be getting me the things nzbgeek failed to find so that's nice.

edit: I totally posted/signed up before I read the edit above this post so you get no credit for telling me about 6box! Urmph!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 2, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I don't see how usenet can survive with its lackluster anime selection.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 7, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Feature not a bug

You shutup! I need me some mech moon basketball!

Edit: There were more animes, but I mean I think mech moon basketball is enough.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 7, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I do not like Sonarr. I do not like Plex. I use both. The thing is Sonarr can be annoying but hey it does indeed work for the most part. What's that Sonarr? You're rejecting another file for reasons? Oh okay. You see that file right there right? Yeah it's what you want I put it their figure it out. Sonarr is good enough for most situations but for those odd ball ones it just seems to suck.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 17, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Been using Sonarr for years with rare issues of it not working right. You doing just regular rear end primetime TV, or more complicated things like kids stuff, anime etc?

Once every few months it'll be a bit stubborn about a show and I can't place my finger on why, but luckily it's not something that persists too much. Manual import never fails for me when I set the show/season/episode myself, which is usually a result of something with really cruddy tagging.

It's fine for primetime besides preferring downloading an entire season nzb which have a tendency to fail in one manner or another more often then the individual ones. Not bad, not flawless. It's the kind finickyness I tend to expect from free software.

Also lol anime it's sooooo bad at anime but that's partially because usenet seems pretty iffy towards anime. I think I'm going to torrent those but I'm lazy and don't feel like going through the trouble.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 17, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

It’s actually not bad about anime at all. It’s a couple more steps at best.

1. Add show with whatever it was entered at using TVDB. (God Dave you if you like Digimon, Sentai, Kamen Rider, Pokémon)

2. Add a tag to the show you recognize

3. Open settings, go to indexers. Add a requirement for the group you want and the tags for the shows.

4. Relax?

I’ve done that for at least a year or more of seasonal anime stuff and never had an issue. The difficult ones are mostly missing absolute numbering or TVDB can’t pull its own head out of its rear end to see a franchise has multiple shows instead of seasons.

It struggles to ID animes because anime groups are idiots and Sonarr isn't smart enough. That combined with usenet just not having things makes for a fairly unreliable thing. Motor rollerblade anime? No problem. Basketball mechs? Problem. Sentient motorcycle anime with an old version and a new one? Issue. I still have voids in my no I won't kill swordsman anime. I think part of the problem is indexers put anime on a separate port so I'm using less indexers. It also got confused by an anime with an American live action version.

As far as modern stuff the one I'm presently watching has been fine.

It's fine I'll find a better way to get the older stuff.

Edit: I think my favorite thing is when I'm in manual mode and it refuses to let me download because of Unknown Series. Stupid Sonarr I'm telling you it's what I want let me download it!
https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/issues/395 Oh yaaay looks like I might get what I want. Ah I see I need to get the nzbs and then manually import the finished files through the wanted tab, sure whatever.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 19, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

If you’re not using NZBHydra, use it. There’s a couple of extra indexers it lists as default for anime. It also helps to stick to a group for a show. It’s a lot harder for bad grabs to happen that way.

I've considered it but I'm lazy (looks like kind of a bother to install on Synology) and I rather not just keep piling on the programs. Maybe I will because the alternative of setting up a vpn/virtual machine (so that everything isn't using a vpn) looks like a bother too but I get the feeling I'm going to want the option to torrent anyway.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/bfxn31/when_adding_animetosho_to_hydra_it_complains_that/

I like the nzbhydra developer's response. Do you make the software work the way users might want or do you make your software what you believe is the right way. Apple does the latter. Sonarr is the latter. Nzbhydra seems to be the former. I'm not saying good software can't be made by people saying "gently caress the users they're idiots" but I certainly feel that thinking you know what's best all the time can make for inferior programs.

wolrah posted:

The biggest issue I've had recently with the automation "overthinking" things has been that Sonarr does not like episodes that have the name set to "TBD". This has been particularly problematic with a series that recently started airing on Sunday, since the way it's sourced means that the episode name only becomes available minutes before its available to download.

Sometimes it downloads but doesn't import the video to the collection, sometimes it doesn't download at all, until it decides to refresh the series data again. Since my girlfriend considers this show very important I have to babysit it around 9:10 and do a manual series refresh before things work as expected.

There doesn't seem to be any way to tell it to just go download it even without a name.

Obviously Cleopatra 2525. I had the lack of episode name issue on Sunday too.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Having a set vision of what you want to make and going down the path of that is better than letting design by committee lead you down a path you’re less passionate about. If people don’t like how something is done, they’re free to make or commission something that works that way.

Yes software tool developers totally need an artists style of ego. Anyones ability or inability to make or commission something has no barring at all towards the criticisms they make. It amazes me anyone thinks that's a valid thing to say ever.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 23, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah god forbid someone makes the piece of software they want to.

I'm sorry did I say that? No I didn't. Like I knew you were getting to this point but as I never said that I didn't want to jump the gun. Sure people can make lovely software all they want, I'm still going to call it out for it's faults.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Never said you couldn’t.

Fair enough. Anyway I've been waiting for this Eweka has a sale going https://www.eweka.nl/en/speciaal-koningsdag. For the most part I'm finding my newsgroup.ninja to be enough but I've been wanting another for those gaps. While a block account may be the right way to go Eweka doesn't offer one.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 23, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

wolrah posted:

Is the place you're downloading to different from the place the final media is stored? If it's not, you're going to have a bad time.

This actually does work since it'd just put the files into folders in the download folder. Like you still shouldn't do it but when I did I don't think I had any issues because of it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 23, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Eweka also is highwinds, right? No reason to sign up if I already signed up for newsdemon?

Eweka is Eweka. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Usenet_Providers_and_Backbones.svg

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Faketitleshow.Season.5.480p.HDTV.H264-20-40

In what world is 480p HD? Is this a 480p encode from a HDTV source?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 24, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Waffle Conspiracy posted:

yes, the HDTV part is the source not the current quality

Those monsters they should give me HDTV not 480p if they have an HDTV source. I do already have that season though so it doesn't really matter.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 24, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

You also can’t get true 480p from an SD source, as that would be 480i. But yeah that line is definitely confusing when you start, and you’re lucky that the file set even says 480p as usually it won’t. No resolution listed = assume SD.

When I started HDTV didn't exist. The thing is people (I) don't care if it's 480p or 480i they care about if x is higher quality than y.Size from my experience is the best metric, ignoring HDTV 480p 1080p blah blah blah. When I do manual searches I'm just looking at the title to be pretty sure it's the thing I want, while I'm organizing by size for quality. Sure size doesn't = quality but when real media was a thing I knew those 90mb files were going to be poo poo.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 24, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Size is an ok metric. Plenty of garbage quality, big files out there. Efficient codecs will give you smaller file sizes at good quality so it’s just a case of working out what works best for you. Trial and error, but when you get your setup running without issue, Sonarr definitely makes that easier.

Personally? If I want to watch something live or near live, I’ll do so or DVR it. I have plenty of channels on my cable setup. Most of the time I can wait a day, and I have a decent amount of spare HDD so for most shows I’ll just add a required tag for AMAZON or AMZN and I know I’m getting good quality that beats out cable, is usually uncut and missing DOGs and other crap I don’t want.

Oh boy codecs/file types I loved when anime groups picked something that vlc or mplayer didn't like. (I think it was mkv at the time, fussy fussy). The only time I'm doing manual searches is when Sonarr can't manage to find me something. Of course as it's fussy about what it'll actually accept it does come up.

I think Sonarr being bad stems from it having "good enough" file iding. If it was smarter at identifying it'd reject less and I'd have to interact with it less.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 24, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

There's nothing wrong with Sonarr where you should trust it less than Sickbeard.

It's not that Sonarr has some bugs that go around deleting files. It's that 1) people don't have a clear picture in their head how these types of programs work, 2) people don't have a clear picture in their head about how usenet downloading works, and 3) people are used to how SB works and expect Sonarr to be the same.

In other words, it's not that you shouldn't trust Sonarr. It does exactly what it says on the tin. It's that you should RTFM.

(of course all software has bugs, so I'm not saying Sonarr is the first 100% perfect program. It's that it's not necessarily worse than SB on this front)

Just do like Decairn mentions and do a bit of a trial run before importing your series wholesale.

Blaming the users when it seems to me that most users encounter problems is bullshit.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Why do you think most users encounter problems?

And, if you'll read carefully, I'm not exactly blaming users.

Based on the ratio of people people who posted problems compared to those who claim no problems weighted by the fact people on this forum generally are well above average tech users while taking in to account that people who like things don't post as much as people who don't. It isn't scientific or anything just based on my experience I certainly (probably) could be wrong as to if it's a majority. Could be far off from a majority and still be terrible though.

Uh what? You certainly are blaming users at least in regards to file deletion. It's an issue if people lose their poo poo because of how a program works. Sure a developer can only do so much to prevent it's users from loving up, but efforts should be made.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 26, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh look at that apparently Sonarr doesn't follow through folders in a manual import search. Neat Sonarr it wasn't very deep like there was a folder with the folder you wanted and nfo,nzb,sfv.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

So basically you're just making it up when you say "most users" are having problems.

Look, there's this common refrain, particularly in the nerdy OSS community, of blaming the users that is terrible gatekeeping bullshit.

That is not what I'm doing here.

I'm not saying that Sonarr could or could not be better at this. I'm saying that people having some sort of issue with Sonarr deleting files are likely not having issues because Sonarr is flaky and can't handle organizing files but because they do not understand how to configure it. This is just a fact.

Sonarr doesn't just say it is going to do one thing and then just do another (barring bugs which, as is my whole point here do not seem to be any worse than you'd get with SB).

Whether people should be expected to understand that Sonarr is not Sickbeard or to understand the usenet ecosystem or understand file permissions or understand the paradigm behind Sonarr's operation is a different issue upon which I'm not really making any comment.

You're confusing my description of the way things are with a description of the way things ought to be (in your opinion that I may or may not share but is immaterial here).

While this is not part of my point, I wanted to ask...

To be clear, you're saying Sonarr doesn't make any efforts? How much effort should be made? Should a volunteer-driven project like Sonarr not release anything until they have a UI that is perfect? How perfect should it be?

I answered your question fully knowing you weren't going to be satisfied by anything short of cold hard numbers which you knew I very well wouldn't have. Reminds me of when people asked me to prove Mnnoba was a racist after accusing him as such. What they were asking wasn't for me to explain that sharing views consistently with racists makes him very likely a racist too what they wanted was a quote of him saying a slur which they knew I wouldn't be able to provide because he'd be already gone had he done that.

Well we could argue percentages that's fun. Well 51% isn't good. is 40% failure alright with you? What if every 4th person can't figure out the door? Is 1 in 9 okay? Sure maybe I should have said "Well the failure (be it user or program) rate of this program seems higher then average for software" but I didn't.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Unfucking believable Sonarr. I understand your poo poo but this is just unfucking believable. Like I wasn't even that mad when you kept overwriting my files thinking why yes the folder marked season 2, and the one marked season 3 totally had season 1 episodes. I wanted the Fox scifi not the PBS show about a poisoner. This is unbelievable and an insult to me as a person, I will never forgive you ever.

Edit: Okay I'll forgive you because it appears to be just the pilot episode, but you're on thin ice Sonarr!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 30, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Keito posted:

What naming scheme are you using then? Consider not making it monitor seasons you don't want it to touch if you're having so much trouble getting it to work with your back catalogue.

How is Sonarr supposed to know if the shows are named the same? Scene will usually put IMDb links in their nfo which indexers should recognize and match to a TVDB entry, but if the indexer mismatched the show Sonarr will still believe it. Fuzzy input gives imprecise output, such is life.

It isn't having trouble with my back catalog it's something I'm downloading manually. When you have folders marked with seasons you'd imagine it'd be smart enough to go oh the user is telling me that this is season 3, I should probably assume the files contained are also season 3. It does not it sees the files with a 1-25 in the name and is like OH these are totally episodes 1-25. It's just so incredibly dumb when files aren't what they want.

Sonarr will still monitor the downloader and happily place those files in the wrong spot even if you tell it to unmonitor. You have to delete it from your series list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_video_fingerprinting There's other solutions like figuring out hey maybe this file that is unlike the others in size/quality/ratio might not belong maybe I should tell the user? Nah it's cool they'll find out when they watch it.

On another note I think I'm wrong it's not overwriting the files it's just assuming they're the same and deleting the new ones.

Radarr is fine. Not because Radarr is any better at iding but because people are better at naming movies. Well there was that time it got me like a behind the scenes thing instead of the movie at least I think that grab was automated.

Heners_UK posted:

Yeah I've got a similar problem at the moment, but it's ok, I'll get it fixed or get as much info as I can. No big deal as I can SFTP in from my phone using Solid Explorer and move it near instantly.

The main reason I haven't done this is because I'm excitedly watching the Linux ISO...

If it's a show on Sunday I think it's because the episode names aren't known until after the episode airs.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 30, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

Oh that could be it! I think it's more likely a permissions issue on my part. Since I'm on a decent connection I just deleted it through Sonarr and re-added it. Let's see. Like I say, no big deal and I'm not crying my eyes out about it.

Edit: Oh reading is difficult. When I set up Sonarr on my Synology I did indeed have permission issues.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 30, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, not knowing the name doesn't have anything to do with it. It always downloads that show from Sunday night for me.

The only issue I've had is it doesn't seem to transfer it over until it knows the name. So when I wanted to watch it sooner I just had to go into the download folder, kind of an issue if you want to watch it on Plex or something. Also not a problem because last episode was a terrible dark mess of an episode it was trying to protect me all along!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I don't know usenet this kind of thing is very annoying.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Most likely you need more/better indexers.

"Sir is your computer plugged in?"

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I had several of those and I think it was mostly problems with multi episode files and the naming or something. I can't remember the exact details.

It's my indexers not having it or in the case of one having it but my providers not having enough blocks (but as I have Eweka and whatever ninja is on I'm giving up on those nzbs). Maybe one of these magic OMG DONT YOU DARE NAME OR TALK ABOUT IT indexers (or/and maybe Drunkenslug) would have what I'm missing but my tolerance for playing games so I can be part of the "private" club is pretty low. Especially when there's zero guarantee that those sites will have it. Besides I would argue that needing to be part of the secret special indexer to get all the files, is a flaw of usenet. The stuff isn't new, and not really what I'd consider mainstream so that of course doesn't help.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Not only does Sonar suck with big packs, it seems to prefer them. It's not the issue in this case though.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

No Sonarr that isn't in Russian that's just part of the title of the show.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh and I figured out why one of these shows is missing one. The episode is split into 2 episodes for Sonarr while the downloads I'm finding has them as a single episode. Ahahahhahahaha automation is wonderful, except when it isn't.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I think I only hit this point because my library is pretty big now and has so many things in it that aren’t in radarr anyway (archive stuff that feels pointless adding for the sake of it). I tend to grab things like 4K remuxes by hand anyway in most circumstances, usually due to cap limitations. I think it’s simply a case that how I want to approach this poo poo has changed a lot over the last few years and this feels better for me now. We’ll see in 6 months time if it’s working out.

Welcome to the world of hating The TVDB. It’s a great service until it does stupid poo poo that doesn’t make sense. You’ll no doubt find a thread of someone(s) saying your specific example is being handled in a stupid way and then a mod will shut it down.

TheXEM.de try their best to undo the dumbfuckery when possible.

I don't expect TVDB to know how people are going to name files, that's not TVDBs job. I do expect Sonarr to be able to figure out when a file is roughly twice as large as a bunch of other files and there's two episode names that are the same, that maybe the file downloaded is both of those files. Well I don't really expect that since I've used Sonarr, but it'd be nice.

https://forums.sonarr.tv/t/how-to-deal-with-2-part-episodes/9110
Also including my favorite poster Markus who always seems to be there to help but never actually helpful.

It failing would be fine. It asking me what to do would be fine. It happily doing it's own thing and renaming everything making it more difficult to fix the issue after the fact, is annoying and bad.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 9, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Keito posted:

Adding in fuzzy guesswork like that sounds like a proper recipe for disaster in the making.

Adding fuzzy guesswork is fine if you have human interaction. "Hey human this look weird how should I handle it?" Automation that isn't perfect shouldn't act like it is.

Thermopyle posted:

I've never seen anyone have so many problems with Sonarr or this usenet automation stuff and I've been doing it for 10 years or more.

FWIW, Markus is the person who developed Sonarr.

10 years! Amazing. Clearly it's my fault I'm just new to this whole internet downloading thing. I'm just too stupid to understand Sonarr is really a good well oiled machine with no faults at all.

Markus is nice enough but his posts rarely if ever have what I'm looking for.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 9, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, clearly this is what I was claiming.

I don't think you understand hyperbole. Clearly you need more forum experience! I doubt my issues are much more then average but it appears that way because I've been downloading a lot to fill up my nas. It'd be more then average though because I do download older shows.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 9, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

sedative posted:

It's one of the two that don't want their name mentioned.

So loving stupid. It amazes me how people generally respect this desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

sedative posted:

They both provide a service that is, at the very best, operating in a legal gray area. Maybe it helps keep the heat off or maybe it doesn't help at all, but if they don't want their names posted in a public forum like this then why not respect their wishes.

Elitist gatekeeping is a poo poo look.

https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/bk80er/to_old_school_users_what_happened_to_the_first/emfpw0g/?context=2

quote:

[–]DumbLemming 4 points 18 days ago
I love people pretending they're in some sort of special club. Heh I've got access to this private indexer and thus I'm better than you. No you can't know the name that's how special and exclusive it is.

permalinkembedsaveeditdisable inbox repliesdeletereply

[–]RToTheSee[S] -5 points 18 days ago
Not that we are better. But it's exclusive for a reason. Theres a barrier to entry.

Why do people go to fancy restaurants vs dine in at McDonald's?

Let the randos search whatever's available at public search sites like nzbindex or binsearch.

It should end there.

Your five star restaurant isn't gonna feel special if you've got homeless people gathering around smelling the steak.

permalinkembedsaveparentreportgive awardreply

[–]DumbLemming 7 points 18 days ago*
Yeah no elitism at all here. I mean it's not like you compare the average public usenet user to a homeless person, that'd be ridiculous.

Edit: Also an unnecessary gently caress you to homeless people, just because they lack a home doesn't make them less of a person. I'd be weirded out by any group of people gathering around to smell the steak.

permalinkembedsaveparenteditdisable inbox repliesdeletereply

You want to provide a service provide a service. But expecting it to be some internet secret? HAhahahahaha gently caress right off. In other news I don't whitelist sites just because they ask and or try to hide their content.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 22, 2019