Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

When and how did Jubilee become a vampire?!?
She was bitten by a Dracula in one of the first issues of the newish adjective-less "X-Men" series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

His Secret Avengers run is pretty good on average, but there's two amazing issues in there. The Black Widow time travel one was one of my favorite single issues from last year.
Exactly what I wanted to say--Loved that issue.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not mad or bothered or anything, but you should maybe consider linking those images, as even the thumbnails plainly spoil what happens. I don't really have any interest in reading that series now.
Well, that's just crazy talk. There's a full 60+ issues of Amazing Comics that happen before that, including a shootout at the Gotham Aquarium against zombie aquatic beasts, one-sided teamups with Kyle Rayner, and a trip to Dinosaur times where the biggest dino-hombre of them all takes it out on the present day. The Hitman #1,000,000 issue is also one of the funniest things Ennis has ever done.

JLA/Hitman is the real ending, anyway. :colbert:

On a side note, any fan of Ennis who isn't reading Fury MAX, is missing out on his best work since Punisher MAX. It is so good.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 27, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

A new Fury MAX or his old Fury MAX mini? Because the old one was pretty terrible and an example of his worst habits.
The new one, with great art by Goran Parlov, and detailing Fury's time in the early 60's. It is totally different than the earlier version.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Man, I really need to read Starman at some point.

I have been making my way through Justice League Europe, and throughout, Wally West has been acting like a 12-year old; shamelessly leering at any passing lady (especially PG) and acting the fool. Fast forward, and Kara is nearly killed in a battle that took the combined efforts of the JLE and JLA to combat, and has been lying in a coma ever since:

It's a quiet moment, but I can't say that it didn't catch me off-guard.

source: JLE #8

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Bravo, Nintendo Power. A long, long time ago I had two of those same posters up on my wall :unsmith:

I remember being so pissed when I learned that Howard was leaving the Big N to work at THQ or some lovely company like that. How...how could he... :emo:

edit: just noticed the plaqued bowtie

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 7, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chinaman7000 posted:

Woah, Secret Avengers seems pretty good. That may be the first time I've felt Captain Britain had strong, unique, and interesting voice. Art looks gritty but really perfect for that mood.

Has it always been that good? Most of what I've caught about the series was during AvX and was not that interesting.
The stuff during AvX was easily the low point of Remender's run. I wasn't too keen on Remender's SA after his first issue (and I still really don't like it), but once I got into his very-different-than-Ellis-mode, I got on board once the long plot kicked in.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Okay, I apologize in advance for this post, because I might sound like an ignorant tosser. I don't know, I wasn't there, but I would like someone to explain it to me.

It seems like this entire moment kind of sabotages itself by featuring a concept that is so momumentally stupid as "electric blue Superman". It's so loving dumb. Just look at him! He's Superman, but he's blue and electric and has an awful 90s costume. It ruins the entire impact of that moment! Honestly, in my experience, DC does this a lot, but I was never a fan of alternate versions of superheroes to begin with. Am I totally crazy here?
Well, Grant didn't exactly have a choice at that point--that's how Superman was, full stop. He still managed to utilize his new power set in ways no one else came close to. Electric Blue Superman was a dumb DC thing, but that was a line-wide decree, and not even Grant Morrison is immune to editorial noogies.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 8, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Does FF stand for Fantasic Four?
Future Foundation

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

gfanikf posted:

Speaking of Batman, have there ever been any modernish what if, one off, mini series, that explored what of Batman didn't have his one rule. Essentially he is a rich rear end Frank Castle, but still Batman/Bruce Wayne, he just kills.
Uhh...there's the Vampire Batman trilogy (Moench/Jones) where he Vampire Kills everybody.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Douche Bag posted:

I don't know but it almost ruins an otherwise touching moment.
I don't want that picture and the word "touching" anywhere near each other.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Nobody tell those kids that Reed Richards actually shrank down and punched Willy Lumpkin's cancer into submission a few months back.
Well, they're not old men who only had a few years left to live anyway. Priorities, people.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Vicissitude posted:

That makes sense, I guess. I'd always assumed it was leaking through the ceiling and dripping down.
What the hell.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Are... are you joking? :psyduck: A regular man has about 10 pints of blood, which is less than 1.5 gallons. 45 gallons of blood would weigh more than 350lbs. It would be a whole bathtub full of blood.
Again, what the hell.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kammat posted:

Sandman #54
I had forgotten how good that was, thanks for posting those.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Leper Colon V posted:

I was more noticing his weird robot arm.
Nah, definitely werewolf.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

lowercase16 posted:

If you've got that issue handy, please post that panel a little bit later when the cop/guard take a photo with Superman. That whole scene made me realize that Clark and Dick have so much more in common with each other than with Bruce. It makes snese that they'd be friends independent of Batman.
Everyone who's a fan of Clark and Dick hangin' out needs to grab Action Comics 771 immediately. It was a Chuck Dixon guest issue that takes place in the middle of his Nightwing run, and is non-stop fun.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

That would actually be a fantastic twist to take on the Doom-style of supervillains. Villains who start using their genius and resources for the greater good, entirely to undermine the heroes.
Hello, Justice by Alex Ross and Jim Krueger!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chaos Hippy posted:

Wait, why is Lex reading an "Increase Your Brainpower" book? Isn't that exactly the sort of thing his ego would find preposterous?
I like to think Lex reads those types of books all the time just to rip them apart and feed his superiority complex, but there's a part of him that is actually trying to gain the upper hand over everyone else in every way possible, and he's actually getting something out of them, though he would never ever say so.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Comfortador posted:

Could be worse, I read it AT work.
Could be worse, I read it to my boss.

WHO'S A DOG.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ManiacClown posted:

drat you clods. I just got this derpy little 10-week-old lump of happy and you're already making me imagine the end. :(

Whatever you do, don't watch that new Chevy ad.

DON'T WATCH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t6bLugtJkQ

redbackground fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 7, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Leper Colon V posted:

Who the gently caress thought that this would make me want to buy a loving car?
Well, think of all the extra cargo room you're looking at now that you've put down your lifetime traveling companion!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
And then that tower eventually turned into the main location in the Dredd film.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 3, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Man it's moments like that that almost make me want to get back into reading Marvel, and then I remember that comics like the really crappy and grim-derp Incursion exist and I go back to not giving a drat about Marvel 616 as they ruin my Suspension of Disbelief and I'm one of those people who care about continuity too much to ignore them(this has been a problem for me since Morrison's X-Men run and Avengers Dissassembled/House of M/Decimation, so it's been a long time since I consistently enjoyed modern Marvel)
Your comics reading experience is in serious need of some overhauling.

Why of all plotlines does the Incursion storyline ruin your "SoD"? What does grim-derp even mean? What does that have to do with any other Marvel comic? Why do you care about continuity SO MUCH that you can't even read and enjoy a million great comics Marvel is putting out? What about those comics you listed has to do with your grudge/obsession with continuity, anyway? You sound miserable, and I think you need to talk it out.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 11, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I know about that stuff, it's just that I love 616, and it irritates me that in the majority of stuff set there in the last decade plus the heroes just tend to come off as either not heroic at all or just plain incompetent if not both at the same time with only the occasional exception

Also Incursion pisses me off because it's ruining multiple characters I love(The Illuminati or at least it's members), and now I can't consider the 616 versions of them heroes anymore after what they did to Earth-4290001, they are now pretty much full blown villains in spite of whatever they do in the future, considering they were complicit in the death of an entire inhabited alternate Earth
"Argh, this Incursion storyline is the worst and is ruining my love of Marvel comics!"
:keeps reading Incursion storyline:

I think I may have found a solution!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Everyone did. Superman tweeted it out across the internet with the help of Cyborg.
Isn't a tweet by default available for the whole world to see?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Azubah posted:

For all the cool things the Injustice comic does, they do tend to go full retard in some areas.
You're supposed to broadcast super-serious messages on all the screens in Times Square, this is comic booking 101.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Really Pants posted:

Would you go further out on the limb and say that 2,529,0432 is an unusually large number?
It sure is some unusual comma placement.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Aw, seriously? I haven't checked the badass panels thread in months!
Yah, this was all covered just yesterday.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

I dunno. Maybe it's like Unseen University's Librarian, who decided he liked being an orangutan better than a person.
Ook.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Why are like six names bigger than everyone else's?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

The same reason why more some dead actors get more applause during the In Memorium section of the Oscars
I figured it was an Importance factor, but I couldn't figure out why them specifically over others, who are still quite well known.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

This from a couple pages and over a month ago, but I'd like to second this request.
It took some creative googling, but I found it, from Daniel Clowes' Wilson:

More here.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chinaman7000 posted:

I like this a lot cause you couldn't pull off that scene as effectively in any medium outside of comics. This is A+ comic booking.

Edit: weird nitpick, but I wish the clouds were moving a tiny bit in the background.
At least you get a bird going across.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
That also fits in with how The Megas portrayed Needleman on History Repeating Red, as a robot who did not want to fight, but was programmed that way (and also corrupted by Airman's used parts).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Tim/Jason. Same difference, they're both boring ex-robins.
Boo to you.

Would all the Robins have dressed up as Batgirl if Babs had been the one to be rescued?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

What's interesting about it too is how much we've codified internally about super heroes. Of course the blond, handsome guy, suit-wearing guy with an ambiguous name is going to be the hero. Of course the homeless bum with 'black' in his name is going to be the villain (not black in the racial sense but more in how it's considered foreboding). All these little rules and assumptions we've absorbed subconsciously.
Instantly I remember a cool Thundercats episode which used similar tropes to subvert them against the viewer.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chinaman7000 posted:

I hate that kind of ending. Trying too hard to make an ending that wraps things up and make some point and it always feels very lame and takes me out of the narrative. It's like if Walter White travelled back in time to give himself cancer and the final scene is him winking at the camera.

There's also the janky disconnect that a murderer of millions upon millions of people is the inspiration and progenitor for goddamn Superman.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BigDave posted:

He managed to ride that fine line between cold-hearted businessman and chronic bastard with a heart of gold.
What was the headline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

I don't get it.
Fletcher Hanks was a terrible person.