Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

There's been much talk of Cain and Abel lately and I promised to expand on their relationship. As anyone familiar with the characters know, Cain and Abel are brothers who live in the House of Mystery and House of Secrets, respectively. They were hosting the stories in the horror anthology comics eponymous with their respective houses' names. This is from a fill-in issue of Swamp Thing, one of two at the end of Alan Moore's first major storyarc, but I think they knocked it out of the park regardless.

And that's it! Because Steve Bisette was running late with his artwork, Alan Moore established that Cain and Abel were the Cain and Abel, added a new dimension to their weird relationship and laid very important groundwork for the Sandman! But that's a story for another time.

I read all of Sandman but never read Swamp Thing. It's cool seeing Moore's take on the characters and his love of wordplay. I didn't like Abel in Sandman because his stuttering got in the way of his speech until "Parliament of the Rooks."

I love the panel layouts in All-Star Superman. This is in the last issue right after Superman punches out a super-powered Luthor and while the kiss doesn't take up a splash page I like how the panels go from a distant shot to a medium shot until it goes into an intimate close-up of the kiss and pulls back again so you can see how fast Superman is flying away from the one person he cares about the most to save her.

I think the kiss is intentionally put in a small panel to highlight how brief a moment the pair are allowed to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

bobkatt013 posted:

Superman/Madman Hullabaloo!

Does anyone have that Sandman issue Allred drew about Prez Rickard? There's that bit where he guests on SNL and inspires John Belushi to clean up his act.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kammat posted:

Here ya go. from Sandman #54

Thanks, bud! :D

Brief Lives was my favorite story arc in Sandman. My favorite part has to be when Dream loses his poo poo over the thought of seeing his son Orpheus, or at least the severed but still very alive head of his son Orpheus. Delirium's just chilling in mid-air because gently caress gravity when you're Delirium and she notices her brother cradling his head in his hands. When she asks Destiny what happened, he coldly brushes her off. Then this happens.

She's been shown to be completely spacy and capricious but that moment made her the Best Endless.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Choco1980 posted:

Is Dini even capable of writing a Bats story that doesn't use the TAS voices? Because if he is, I don't want to read it.

There's this Batman one-shot where Harley is fighting the new female assistant of Scarface. When Batman asks her what her beef is with those two, she reveals how scared she was during her first night in Arkham and the first Ventriloquist tried to cheer her up only to be punished by his own dummy. She never forgot that.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Astro City, and that story in particular, is one of the greatest gifts to superhero comic fans. Taking such a ridiculous concept as a universe reboot and wringing out something as incredibly touching and melancholy as that story... Yep, thanks for the reminder. Time to go find the best way to rebuy those.

A time-obsessed villain calling his lackeys Tempus Fugitives is a stroke of genius.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Vincent posted:

"El Hombre Increible"

http://vimeo.com/20616652

"¡EL HOMBRE DE LOS MOLECULOS!"

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

drrockso20 posted:

I actually liked Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back(although it's not as good as his other movies)

Still better than Zack and Miri.

From Donatello # 1

Donnie meets April's tenant, Kirby. He's found something that lets his drawings come to life and he and Donnie go through a portal and poo poo happens.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jedit posted:

That would require subjecting people to Marc Hempel's horrid scribbles.

Also I'm not exactly sure why you used spoiler protection when everyone would be spoiled if the pages were actually posted. :shrug:

Hempel's style fit with how crazy the story gets. That one part of A Game of You where Foxglove and Hazel are freaking out over their nightmares looked half-assed when I first saw it. Reading about it later Colleen Doran and her inker were getting into it and the art suffered.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Aphrodite posted:

Until he tries to call down lightning and gives you a heart attack.

You've got it backwards. That's how he resuscitates flatliners.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Madkal posted:

One of things I love about a character like Luthor is that he really is a genius who can do all kinds of crazy amazing stuff but he is such an egotistical dick that he can't stand that there is someone out there better than him (depending how the writers treat him he also hates that an alien can take away from his achievements).

All-Star Superman # 12
Superman's about to phase into pure solar energy and just took a beating from a super-powered Luthor. The effects only last 24 hours but Supes scienced a way for Luthor to metabolize it out of his system in only a few minutes.

Madkal posted:

If comics weren't ongoings but had a definite ending you could easily work in a villains redemption plot (that actually loving sticks instead of forgotten the next time some new writer wants to have the hero fight his old nemesis). One of my favourite takes on a villains (sort-of) redemption was the Riddler, who became a private investigator. It was such a great new take on the character that I was really pissed off when it was thrown away so he could become just another boring villain for Batman to fight again.
Really I quite love villains who aren't evil really, but just really get on the nerves of the heroes for whatever reason.

There's hints that the benevolent scientist in this story, Leo Quintum, is actually Luthor trying to make amends for his past by going into the past to save humanity's future.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Rhyno posted:

Hasn't Morrison commented on this and pretty much debunked it?

Did he? It would have been better if he left it ambiguous, otherwise the guy's just there to cause the plot to happen.

Choco1980 posted:

Too bad the movie version cuts out the entire flashback episode with the three future supermen. I think that might be the best part of the whole book.

That is my favorite chapter in the series. The last page has no dialogue but Superman's pose there is so much better than the one of him sitting on top of the clouds.

Action Tortoise fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 22, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RandallODim posted:

I actually prefer the animated version of this scene from the All-Star Superman adaptation, largely because punctuating that conversation with a full panel of Superman slugging Lex into unconsciousness seems really out of place and gratuitous, especially compared to him not attacking a powerless and defeated Lex at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RfUUJH2TvU

I think everyone's delivery is flat, personally. :shrug:

Luthor's been making GBS threads on everyone and getting away with it the entire series. If anything, it's not the punch but Supes' pithy summation of his character that cuts him down.

This is my favorite exchange between him and Superman.

(All-Star Superman # 10)

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Cornwind Evil posted:

The scene that really always got me in All-Star Superman is where Clark goes to interview Lex Luthor. Luthor, the smartest man in the world, hell, whose brainpower may be the highest in the entire DCU, promptly goes through a massive riot/breakout with Kent (with Kent surreptitiously using his powers to try and get it under control), and never once has the slightest inkling or clue that he is interacting with the object of his absolute hatred. Yes, there's more to the Clark Kent cover than a pair of glasses, but this is Lex Luthor, who can analyze something in five seconds and create a superior version in ten. And he never has a clue. He's just too narcissistic, megalomaniacal, sociopathic, and just plain BROKEN to even begin to notice anything. Clark registers as beneath him, and hence Luthor literally can't see something dangling right in front of his face.

The thing I like most about this series is the idea that Superman actually has three personas. Superman is his public face when he's out saving the world and being a role model. Clark Kent in Metropolis is his public face when he's dealing with people on a personal level and trying to understand their perspective. Clark Kent in Smallville is supposed to be him when no one's looking. He still has to pretend around his friends that he's bumbling and harmless, but the countryside lets him cut loose and play tree fetch with Krypto or fly to the moon.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm gonna say it, I'm kind of done with Hawkeye. The weird schedule/constant delays has ruined all momentum that book had, and the last like three issues have not been great, so I just don't give a poo poo at this point. Stuff like Superior Foes and She-Hulk have pretty much replaced it for me.

The fact that the book's split between Clint and Kate makes the pacing erratic. I'm just hoping all this build up pays off.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Whoa when did Archie get like this?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I just picked it up because of this thread. It's crazy seeing a serious read on the characters' personalities (I'm only an issue in). Betty and Veronica are a lot more passive aggressive towards each other. The upside is that Moose doesn't preface everything he says with a "D-uh".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Please, for the love of god, tell me Reggie has died first.

Even Reggie is pretty sympathetic here.