Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
So Verizon says they are planning on rolling out 4g service in my area by the end of the year. I was really looking to get a new phone in the next week or so because my piece of crap env2 is about to die, and I've been off contract for about a year. It looks like the 4g phone selection is pretty crappy right now, but I feel like having the ability to use the service in the next year or so would be nice. What is the best 4g capable phone they offer now? Would it be better for me to wait another month or so to see if new phones come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Cozmosis posted:

Nothing is coming out within a month on the 4G front. Of the 4G phones currently:

Thunderbolt has abysmal battery life, but a lot of people like Sense. Best dev support currently.
Charge has the best screen and camera, lightest, best battery life. Decent dev community so far. Built like poo poo, you'll need a case. Most seem to hate Touchwiz.
Revolution operates similarly to Tbolt, with slightly improved battery life. LG's UI is OK, nothing significantly impressive. Almost no dev support at all.

I think the best overall experience is currently the Charge.

Is 4g really that important? I've never owned a smartphone so I'm not really sure what 3g speeds are like. What's the best 3g phone? The X2 and Xperia Play looked nice.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Cozmosis posted:

X2 is probably the best, but the reviews are a fairly unimpressive step up from a Droid X.

It might only be a small step up from the X, but it's a huge leap up from my env2.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Other folks either don't see it, or aren't bothered by it.

Yeah I don't see it on mine. It's a phone, not my home theater system.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You read a bunch of tiny text on your home theater TV?

I have a computer hooked up to it, so yes, I browse the internet and read a bunch of tiny text on my tv.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

VerySolidSnake posted:

Wait a second, isn't this all still a rumor? Is there actually an article that is not based on other website's information (which is a rumor in the first place)?

Are you asking if tiered data plans are a rumor? If so, the answer to that is definitely no.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

AlexDeGruven posted:

If she buys a phone outright, she can do so with no plan changes (though 3G to 4G might be an issue).

I'm sort of in a similar situation. I have a Motorola X2 that I absolutely hate, so I've been considering picking up a used Galaxy Nexus somewhere (unless someone has another suggestion). I'm thinking the cheapest place to get one would be craigslist. Besides cosmetic issues and making sure the phone turns on, what kind of things do I need to watch out for when buying a used phone? I really hope there wouldn't be any problems switching from 3g to 4g, but I'll ask my local Verizon store.

edit: Does the galaxy nexus have to go through Verizon's bullshit really long waiting period of getting Android updates?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 3, 2012

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Is there a reason behind that thought process? I wish I could switch to another service, but I don't want to lose my unlimited data. :(

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
My contract is going to be up in about 3 months, and I'm looking to get rid of my Droid X2. I hate this phone so much. Is anything new and amazing expected to come out around March? Anything except an iPhone (I use them every day at work and can't stand them). As much as I don't want to get rid of my unlimited plan, I have a hard time stomaching paying $600+ for a phone. :(

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 2, 2012

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

XarsonX posted:

Probably. CES is January 8-11 and I'm pretty sure all the phone manufacturers at least have an exhibit, Verizon also has some presence http://ces13.mapyourshow.com/5_0/exhibitor_details.cfm?exhid=T0008202

In March, a big wireless event comes around and you should see all kinds of neat stuff. http://www.ctiawireless.com/

I don't suppose they give any sort of hard release dates on items they show there? Maybe I'll buy a used S3 or something to hold me over until those phones come out later in the year.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Between the Galaxy S3 and Razr Maxx HD, which is the better phone (buying used)? I heard that the Razr has a lovely camera, but I hardly ever take pictures (maybe a dozen over the last 18 months).

What is the process for me moving from my X2 to one of those phones? All of my contacts/email/etc. is backed up with Google. Is it going to cause problems going from 3g to 4g?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Dr Blah PhD posted:

-when you receive a call, there are now like 3 options to answer, one of them being to send an instant text saying something like "i am busy" or some poo poo. I think thats really stupid, and the general swipe up to accept down to decline gesture is a reflex now, is there some way to kill that text send option and have a simple way to accept calls? I tend to get the most calls when asleep ironically and id rather not keep declining important calls from sluggish thumb movements.

-Didnt work on my charger that came with the thunderbolt, the microusb works perfect and charges my TB, but not my razr m. I don't know if this means anything.

1) That's not unique to your phone, it's part of Android.

2) Compare how much power your TB charger and Razr charger provide. My guess is that the Razr needs to draw more power, and your TB charger can't provide enough. I see the problem with my Kindle. My phone charger won't charge the Kindle, but the Kindle charger will charge my phone.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Don't forget to move any pictures over to your new phone yourself since this is something that ISN'T automatically done by Google!

They're all on Google+.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

notwithoutmyanus posted:

um, what?

(micro)USB cable is still (micro)USB cable. Kindles and Nexus tablets and even TB/Razr draw pretty much the same power as it's all a USB cable.

The wall adapter, not the cable. Read the small text on each of your adapters.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

chupacabraTERROR posted:

My mom is considering the Note 2, but I've come to love the apple store support method. I live in LA, she lives in San Diego, so when she has problems with her iPhone I just tell her to take it to the apple store and they always take care of it. She hates going to the Verizon store, they're always trying to sell her new poo poo when she doesn't want it, so she's come to enjoy the apple store as well.

Basically if she buys it from a place like best buy and buys the insurance plan, can I just tell her to go back there when she calls me with a problem?

One thing Apple does right is customer service, and you aren't really going to get that level of it anywhere else. That is frankly one reason I regret getting my mom an Android phone is that I'm basically her tech support.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Can anyone comment on 4g coverage/speeds in Charlotte, NC?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 11, 2012

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Well I just got back from the Verizon store, comparing the S3, Note 2, and Razr Maxx HD. The Razr seemed smoother to me than the S3, and I like the lack of the physical home button. The Note 2 is loving huge, but the stylus is really cool. One of the sales guys there had an interesting workaround to keeping my unlimited data. He said that we could add another line onto our family plan (currently have 4), get the subsidized price on that line, and then transfer the phone to me. He said it would be $10/mo for the extra line, so $240 over the 2 year contract. $240 + subsidized phone price is cheaper than the full price of the phone.

Is it possible to root the Razr at the moment?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 12, 2012

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

EbolaIvory posted:

Netflix. Seriously.

Plus, Its my music and everything else. And yes, I have other devices. Laptops and such. But when im not home, im using my LTE for a hotspot or something. And honestly netflix for 2-3 hours is easily 2-3 gigs. LTE being 30+ megs a second, plus we're talking on a TV not my phone. Its going to suck down data like crazy.

Out of curiosity, what phone do you have?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

big mean giraffe posted:

My computer does Netflix a hell of a lot better than my phone for one.

This. I stream a lot of music in my car, update all my apps, browse the forums a ton, etc and still never got higher than 2.5 gigs. You are an EXTREME outlier.

It sounds like he is using his phone to get netflix to his TV, not watching it directly on his phone (either streaming to the tv or tethering to it if the tv has internet capability).

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Cross posting from SAmart, I'm looking for a used S3.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522257&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
So I might be buying a phone from a guy on Craigslist tonight or tomorrow. I've heard that it's good to meet at a Verizon store if possible because they can tell you right there if the phone is valid and can be activated on my account. Is this true? What specifically do I need to ask the employee at Verizon?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Gonkish posted:

Awesome! So I can take my SD card from my Thunderbolt and slap it into the S3? I'm hoping!

I just did it from my X2 to my S3, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

If I root my S3 tonight, will I still get the JB update tomorrow? Is it going to un-root it if I accept the update?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Isn't there supposed to be a quick reply option for text messages on jb?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ACID POLICE posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but I know Verizon's been trying to kill unlimited for a long time, I don't really want to go through the work of splitting off my unlimited line and paying retail for a phone for Verizon to drop a giant "gently caress you" and destroy all the unlimited.

I'm pretty sure Verizon wouldn't even tell their own employees if this was gonna happen or not, but I don't know.

What's the question?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Besides device size, screen size, and battery size, is there any difference between the moto x and the DROID maxx? Do they both have the always listening thing now?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

pbpancho posted:

Moto X has Kit Kat already, but I'd go for the MAXX

Care to explain why?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you do Moto Maker, you can get the X in 32GB (like mine) on Verizon, which makes the battery the sole benefit of MAXX over X.

Not that it's unimportant in the least, but some people don't spend enough time away from charging sources to induce range anxiety.

Any coupons I can use on the motomaker site? At 32GB the X only comes out $50 cheaper than the Maxx.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

AlexDeGruven posted:

And this is a problem?

You need to decide if the 1100mAh and wireless charging is worth $50 and the lack of customization to you.

For me, it isn't because I don't ever suffer from range anxiety.

I thought I remembered the X being $50, whereas it is starting at $100 on the site. Since the 32GB adds $50, I figured I was missing a coupon somewhere.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
So is the promo code I need to give for the 6GB loyalty max plan SFO 793798 or just 793798?

Also, if a few people on my family plan upgrade their phones through Amazon, then we can use the promo code to bump their lines up to 6GB, correct?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 29, 2013

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I'm currently on a family plan with 4 smartphones, but mine is the only one that still has unlimited data. I currently never use wifi, and my data averages around 15GB/month. Over the next billing cycle I'm going to try using wifi as much as possible to see how my data usage turns out. If I can bring it below 10GB/month, is there a decent plan with that much data?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Nexus 6 is coming to Verizon! :)

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/15/this-is-the-nexus-6-and-yes-its-coming-to-verizon/

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

redstormpopcorn posted:

Great, now I gotta choose between the new Moto X, Droid Turbo, and Nexus 6.

THANKS MOTOBAMA :saddowns:

From what I gathered in the Android thread, buy directly from Google instead of through Verizon so they have no chance to load their software on it.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

kitten smoothie posted:

While it has all the compatible hardware, it remains to be seen whether Verizon will activate a device they didn't sell. They're under no obligation to let you onto the CDMA side of the network if you didn't buy the phone from them.

Then I'll return it. It's better to try that option first.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Trampus posted:

Are there any plans out there that could save me some money? I upgrade pretty much ever two years and used the BestBuy loophole to get a subsidized phone and keep unlimited data a few months ago. I don't want to pay full price for a phone though so I'm nervous about upgrading next time and losing unlimited even though I don't really take advantage of it very much.

Thanks

What loophole?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

kitten smoothie posted:

Order a phone for delivery. When it comes, don't power it on. Take out the SIM, cut it up and trash it. Put your existing SIM in.

The act of powering on the phone with the shipped SIM is what closes out the phone order and removes your unlimited.

You're still tied into a 2 year contract though, right?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

kensei posted:

Oh cool

Soak test :)

For what? Which phone do you have?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

bull3964 posted:

I'm less worked about the privacy aspects of the tracking and more enraged about the fact that the company I'm paying to be dumb pipe for my internet is altering the traffic in transit without my consent. Anyone else and this would be a man in the middle attack and be actionable by law enforcement.

It might be worth reading through all of the small print on the terms you agreed to when you use the service, there is a chance Verizon's army of lawyers made you agree to something that makes this legal.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

DangerZoneDelux posted:

For people that don't browse the Android thread here is info on Droid Turbo http://bgr.com/2014/10/28/verizon-event-droid-turbo-liveblog-live-coverage/

You get a free screen replacement if it cracks during your contract agreement

What if you pay full price?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I have a feeling that the Nexus 6 will be too big to run with, so I'm planning on keeping my moto x around for that. Will there be any issues with swapping my Sim card into the moto x when I'm ready for a run so I can still stream music, and then sticking it back in the 6 when I'm done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I'm trying to purchase a new phone online for full price without losing my unlimited data. After I hit "add to cart", a popup comes up with the options of "Upgrade existing line" and "Add a device". Does add a device open a new line, or just add the new device to my number? Which do I want to pick?

If I go to the store to buy it, will they be able to activate it without screwing with my data?

• Locked thread