Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nog
May 15, 2006

dude on the BTC forums posted:

With the current difficulty, if price hits and stays around $1 there's going to be a mass exodus of miners.

I'm considering quitting now. Mining is slow, just got a $600 electric bill and bitcoin prices are lower than when i started mining, and yet difficulty is 10 times as much. So it takes 10 times mmore to mine now than when I started and prices are lower...

Holy poo poo. This guy is the Bigfoot of carbon footprints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

ripped0ff posted:

I always think people like that are trolling. Who's loving dumb enough to do that? To charge a $600 electric bill, and yet still consider bitcoins might be worth anything?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

mewse posted:

Which national currencies are worth more than 1 bitcoin per 1 of their main unit currently?

None. As far as i konw the british pound sterling and the latvian lat has the most value/unit.
(Maybe there are more exotic ones though?)

Ha yes, I noticed that. It's honestly the kind of thing I'd find interesting, but at least I know it's completely irrelevant. I'm less sure about the guy who asked.

Bash Ironfist posted:

I always think people like that are trolling. Who's loving dumb enough to do that? To charge a $600 electric bill, and yet still consider bitcoins might be worth anything?

Well, up until recently he might still have made a profit.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Bash Ironfist posted:

It's called the Sunk Costs Fallacy.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

ripped0ff posted:

If you think that's bad... someone on the forums estimated that in the wildly unlikely event of Bitcoin becoming the main method of trade within the US, 75% of US power should go to Bitcoin mining. Of course, thankfully it's not going to happen and even if it did hardware availability rather than power would become the main limiting factor. (Though I think this in itself might break some of Satoshi's assumptions.)

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Ahhh, I see. Still though, if you saw the value of your buttcoins go from like 11 dollars to like 5 dollars...how would that not worry you enough to stop mining them?

"Perhaps this is too unstable a time to use all this electricity" Would be a thought, wouldn't it?

Nog
May 15, 2006

I seriously don't know why the market hasn't rebounded. The number of asks is so low across the board that it wouldn't take much to drive the price back up a few bucks. For all this forum bravado about how they can't wait to buy, no one seems to be doing so.

Look at TH's market depth. A 50 BTC purchase would literally drive the market up over two dollars, that's how thin it is.

Bids outnumber asks 3:1, and yet no one is willing to budge their bid. It's basically as if the market has just accepted the fact that BTC's are crap, but for some reason is willing to keep their bids up. It's mindblowing.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ripped0ff posted:

He didn't mention whether that bill's for a month or a quarter. It's be on the highish side for a quarter here but not especially so if someone was had a couple of big TVs, air conditioning and was running a high-end computer non-stop.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

gnarlyhotep posted:

No? It was quite plausible to recoup the cost of hardware and power by selling the mined coins up until recently, and he's thinking about quitting now when that's no longer the case. Hell, if he's been at it for long enough and/or gets a halfway-reasonable price for his used cards he might even end up with a reasonable profit.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Computer viking posted:

No? It was quite plausible to recoup the cost of hardware and power by selling the mined coins up until recently, and he's thinking about quitting now when that's no longer the case. Hell, if he's been at it for long enough and/or gets a halfway-reasonable price for his used cards he might even end up with a reasonable profit.

That was a very short window of time, except for the early adopters.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Computer viking posted:

You're assuming rational behavior from people who have proven themselves to be anything but.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

gnarlyhotep posted:

I'm not quite seeing the connection either. Running electricity costs aren't already incurred, right? They're paid by the kilowatt. If he stops mining right now, he will have no more electricity costs.

Is there such a thing as a "future sunk cost" fallacy? The thing that keeps him going is probably the thought of all the potential lost revenue if he stops mining now, once Bitcoins are on the obvious upswing again.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Bash Ironfist posted:

You should have a look in the mining hardware forum. Most are building open racks to run 7 or 8 graphics cards. It only takes a few crazy set ups to end up with a $600 power bill.

Given that there are 13.7 THashs/s on the bitcoin network that adds up to a lot of expensive power bills. The most commonly used cards give 1.5 MHash/W. That's around 9.1 MW to run the total hashing, and 2.537 kW.hours/s.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not quite seeing the connection either. Running electricity costs aren't already incurred, right? They're paid by the kilowatt. If he stops mining right now, he will have no more electricity costs.

Is there such a thing as a "future sunk cost" fallacy? The thing that keeps him going is probably the thought of all the potential lost revenue if he stops mining now, once Bitcoins are on the obvious upswing again.

I'm saying that part of the rationalization to keep mining buttcoins is that they have spent not only lots of money, but time as well setting up all their crazy contraptions. Then there's the pride of being the Dr. Frankenstein that created such a beast. That's a hardware nerd's nirvana.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Wonder how many people will get raided under suspicion of having grow ops in their basement.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

gnarlyhotep posted:

I'm saying that part of the rationalization to keep mining buttcoins is that they have spent not only lots of money, but time as well setting up all their crazy contraptions. Then there's the pride of being the Dr. Frankenstein that created such a beast. That's a hardware nerd's nirvana.

Still seems very weird to use a guy that's saying "this doesn't look profitable anymore, guess I'll stop" as the example, though.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Computer viking posted:

Still seems very weird to use a guy that's saying "this doesn't look profitable anymore, guess I'll stop" as the example, though.

Ah, I read it wrong. I'm dumb.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
A new bitcoin has been developed, and is in testing now.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.0

I don't know how popular this one's going to be. It's called devcoin, and 90% of the coins generated go to "open source developers", leaving the miners a meager 10%. In case anyone here didn't know, this is (at least) the 3rd blockchain being run on the bitcoin software, the first being Bitcoin itself and the second being Namecoin. Namecoin is some odd alternative Domain Name System which is never gonna work.

Probably not the best time for them to have launched their new bitcoins, seeing as how the original appears to be collapsing right now.

Realjones
May 16, 2004
With the price at $6 and the current difficulty, mining is now 16x less profitable than what is was in early june when the difficulty was relative low at $30 a coin.

A setup that would have theoretically brought in $1500 a month (what people that dropped hundreds/thousands calculated out) will now bring in $100 a month, and that's BEFORE electricity costs, so basically those $1000 computers are making nothing now.

I wouldn't surprised to see a big drop in the mining rate.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Realjones posted:

With the price at $6 and the current difficulty, mining is now 16x less profitable than what is was in early june when the difficulty was relative low at $30 a coin.

A setup that would have theoretically brought in $1500 a month (what people that dropped hundreds/thousands calculated out) will now bring in $100 a month, and that's BEFORE electricity costs, so basically those $1000 computers are making nothing now.

Does the difficulty adjust downward when there's less hashing power on the network or does it just delay the next difficulty jump?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Realjones posted:

Won't that be followed by a similar drop in difficulty, though? In some delayed-reaction way it should stabilize around where there's a small profit to be had by mining ... or at least it would, if the USD per bitcoin price hadn't been dropping at some unpredictable-but-serious rate.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

Does the difficulty adjust downward when there's less hashing power on the network or does it just delay the next difficulty jump?

The difficulty updates every 2016 blocks. I believe there are around 1200 blocks to go. If the mining rate drops heavily it could take months or years before the difficulty adjusts.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Realjones posted:

This is exactly right, and the results should provide plenty more drama.

Here's the math on my computer, which I considered using for bitcoin mining but never did. I have a Radeon 5770 graphics card, which would be producing about 1/10th of a bitcoin per day at the current difficulty level. At $6 per coin, that is 60 cents per day worth of bitcoins.

My system doesn't use much power, perhaps 300 watts. That's about 7.2 kilowatt hours per day, at 10 cents per kilowatt hour, electricity costs are 72 cents per day.

At the current price and difficulty, I would lose 12 cents per day! Bitcoin mining is now a money losing proposition for many miners. Of course, I don't have the most efficient system, as I've only got one graphics card and it's not the best one, so many miners may still be eking out a small profit.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Photex posted:

Wonder how many people will get raided under suspicion of having grow ops in their basement.

I would love to be the DEA guy on that mission.

"Now Sir, can you please explain to me again why you have multiple computers sitting open with 9 redundant video cards?"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ripoff posted:

I would love to be the DEA guy on that mission.

"Now Sir, can you please explain to me again why you have multiple computers sitting open with 9 redundant video cards?"

render farm

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Orange Sunshine posted:

At the current price and difficulty, I would lose 12 cents per day! Bitcoin mining is now a money losing proposition for many miners. Of course, I don't have the most efficient system, as I've only got one graphics card and it's not the best one, so many miners may still be eking out a small profit.

There will be a few that will use their mining rigs for home heating when it's actually cold. Some of them might even be able to use their aircon for cooling themselves and their pet ferrets.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

Devian666 posted:

The difficulty updates every 2016 blocks. I believe there are around 1200 blocks to go. If the mining rate drops heavily it could take months or years before the difficulty adjusts.

It's possible to make an emergency adjustment by modifying the clients. As long as a majority of the nodes agree to the change it will propagate into the block chain. The namecoin idiots didn't know how to do that...

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Morkai posted:

It's possible to make an emergency adjustment by modifying the clients. As long as a majority of the nodes agree to the change it will propagate into the block chain. The namecoin idiots didn't know how to do that...

If it came down to an emergency adjustment we'd have to get everygoon to run an old client to cock block the difficulty change. :unsmith:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Orange Sunshine posted:

This is exactly right, and the results should provide plenty more drama.

Here's the math on my computer, which I considered using for bitcoin mining but never did. I have a Radeon 5770 graphics card, which would be producing about 1/10th of a bitcoin per day at the current difficulty level. At $6 per coin, that is 60 cents per day worth of bitcoins.

My system doesn't use much power, perhaps 300 watts. That's about 7.2 kilowatt hours per day, at 10 cents per kilowatt hour, electricity costs are 72 cents per day.

Yes, but you are forgetting up uP UP. What's a small loss now to be a bit coin billionaire in just a few short years?

You can't approach this rationally when no one did before the crash of their worthless play money bubble.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Three Olives posted:

Yes, but you are forgetting up uP UP. What's a small loss now to be a bit coin billionaire in just a few short years?

You can't approach this rationally when no one did before the crash of their worthless play money bubble.

I don't know - some of the miners seem to have been in it for the short-term profit. The True Believers are going to be out a lot of money, of course, as is generally the case for True Believers in anything.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Someone has pushed the price back up to $7.50 now. Wonder how long it will hold.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

Devian666 posted:

If it came down to an emergency adjustment we'd have to get everygoon to run an old client to cock block the difficulty change. :unsmith:
I endorse this proposal wholeheartedly, but unfortunately we'd have to be hashing nodes, not just running clients. I might volunteer to run the GoonPool so we could actually gently caress with them...

Nog
May 15, 2006

ymgve posted:

Someone has pushed the price back up to $7.50 now. Wonder how long it will hold.

It'll stay up there for a bit. There just aren't really enough people still trying to sell any more. Most folks who can afford to cash out already have. The market is so thin right now that even the purchase of a few thousand BTC would drive it up several dollars.

That being said, any increase in price is temporary (just not super temporary). The speculators are cutting and running. Once they're gone, that's 90% of the money in the system. After that, BTC will still exist, but only in the same way that Linden dollars do: As a forgotten footnote used for the occasional joke.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ripped0ff posted:

That being said, any increase in price is temporary (just not super temporary). The speculators are cutting and running. Once they're gone, that's 90% of the money in the system. After that, BTC will still exist, but only in the same way that Linden dollars do: As a forgotten footnote used for the occasional joke.

That's what I'm guessing too. The speculators, the people who saw the price go from 25 cents to $1 to $5 to $30 and were hoping this was going to continue, almost none of them are left buying now. But every day, the miners keep mining and dumping their coins onto the market, giving us a slow collapse in price. 100,000 new bitcoins are produced every 2 weeks or so, and someone has to buy them to keep the price propped up. Not enough of those someones are showing up any more.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

Orange Sunshine posted:

That's what I'm guessing too. The speculators, the people who saw the price go from 25 cents to $1 to $5 to $30 and were hoping this was going to continue, almost none of them are left buying now. But every day, the miners keep mining and dumping their coins onto the market, giving us a slow collapse in price. 100,000 new bitcoins are produced every 2 weeks or so, and someone has to buy them to keep the price propped up. Not enough of those someones are showing up any more.

It's just loving hilarious beyond words that the deflationary currency is having it's value eroded by inflation.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Morkai posted:

It's just loving hilarious beyond words that the deflationary currency is having it's value eroded by inflation.
This is the most hilarious part about Bitcoins to me, they go on and on about it being ~a deflationary currency~, but the deflation doesn't actually kick in until 2040. Until then, they are literally printing new Bitcoins every 10 minutes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This guy just foudn out about bitcoins today.

Also, mods please change the thread title to BitCoins: Get bit or die mining

Nog
May 15, 2006

Time to get in while the prices are so low! Before it starts going back UP UP UP.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dan Kaminsky had a presentation on Bitcoins at DefCon today.

It wasn't particularly bad or flattering, just stating that Bitcoin can't scale unless it emulates our current banking system today.

http://dankaminsky.com/2011/08/05/bo2k11/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

FCKGW posted:

This guy just foudn out about bitcoins today.

Also, mods please change the thread title to BitCoins: Get bit or die mining

Bravo on the title :golfclap:

But really? How does one avoid all the scam stories about bitcoin (edit: Not to mention the crashing market) and think it's a good idea to jump in now? :psyduck: