Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007
Where is His will needed?
Not only is that Buttcoin tattoo loving hideous, imbalanced, and out of proportion, but her razor-burned vag and horrible tits made me gag (she posted her tits when people were saying "tattoo buttcoins on your nips, lol".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007
Man, it's all-out buttboin warfare up in this bitch. poo poo's getting real.

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Well now it's a chicken-n-egg type thing.

Are the classes structured in such a way that they take up a combined 8 hours a day?

School is a mode of cultural transmission. In our society, its main function is to prepare people for the labor force, which works in 8 hour shifts (typically). It's getting kids into the habit of getting up early and reporting to a site for a "work day", ingraining values like "competition" and "punctuality" etc, values important to Capitalism. A side function is indeed the daycare aspect, but it's not like this is a bad thing. It also shoves kids into a social abbatoir where they fight for scraps of popularity. Hey, but you might make a friend or two out of it. Boiling it down to any one of these points is ridiculous, but they all play a role. Libertarians just seem to seize on the negative oppressive aspects of schooling and ignore any of the positives (friends, well-rounded knowledge, socialization into the society, etc.)

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007
I've read most of this thread and I just want to toss out this question: How many of you goons knew about Atlas Shrugged or Ayn Rand prior to 5 years ago? I think you can guess where I'm going with this.

Is the only reason that nerds care about Ayn Rand because of Bioshock? I had never heard of Ayn Rand prior to Bioshock, nor had I ever heard her name mentioned. It seems like a video game inadvertantly drew interest to boring writing and a lovely dystopian philosophy.

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007
Exactly! So this kid wants to appear as a mysterious manipulator, so he uses the name "Atlas", the mysterious manipulator from a game about dystopian objectivism. Suddenly, idiots assume that this kid really is some economic sage and master manipulator.

Glad I'm not the only person who noticed this. And yeah, even though Bioshock is a critique of objectivism, I'll be damned if it didn't spur a bunch of people into trying to look intelligent by reading Ayn Rand.

Edit- BUTTCOINS: I was an objectivist BEFORE Bioshock came out!

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007
So, we have Bioshock, South Park, and Rush. People know about objectivism through pop culture only. hahaha.

I've never taken a philosophy course, but is objectivism ever discussed seriously in an academic setting?

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007

arioch posted:

I present for your edification: http://www.utexas.edu/news/2008/03/20/lib_arts_ayn_rand/

If you make it through reading that article without once thinking about eating a gun barrel, I salute you.

"Atlas Shrugged" is the second most influential book for Americans today, after the Bible. According to the Ayn Rand Institute, an estimated 20 million copies of her books have been sold."

I just can't believe it.

But I'm not surprised that some evil corporation tosses money at institutions to help justify its evilness on an ideological basis.

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

I don't get the problem. If you can justify something doesn't that make it right...or at least not wrong? You all seem to be calling objectivism stupid without actually saying why other than "being mean to people is bad". Which it covers.

You might be getting a bit nitpicky; hasn't the consensus that objectivism is stupid been fairly well established in this thread throughout 351 pages? My insignificant opinion doesn't matter at this point. I haven't read Rand, but I've seen all the loonies who claim to read Rand, and I laugh at what they say.

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

Not only should we send someone to report on this, we should send a goonette.

You trying to get a poor girl killed?

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007

Stottie Kyek posted:

We could send a lass from The Fitness Log Cabin. I don't think any of the Bitcoin fans could outrun/fight even a random selection of goons, much less a strong one.

I'm picturing an athletic chick like Ash or Duke or Doom Marine Guy standing on top of a mound of slain Buttcoiners.

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007

Herpus posted:

You mean a mound of one slain buttcoiner.

One slain bitcoiner's mound-like butt.

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007

ripped0ff posted:

It all strikes me as pointless wannabe spycraft and skullduggery just for the hell of it.

Looks like the USB-swallower hasn't seen "Burn After Reading".

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Particularly when said fiction is posted from a motherfucking satirical website.

:ughh:

Well, is the brain damage story confirmed? Because if that's real (and it's stranger than fiction), I could believe Spy Guy, based on its sheer idiocy. Either way, I get laughs.

GOOD LORD, I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S REAL ANYMORE! Buttcoin has destroyed my fiat reality.

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007

FCKGW posted:

My site may be humorous in nature, but it's probably the most accurate and, dare I say, well respected authority on bitcoin history and culture, and I will not stand for you besmirching her name!

But yeah, it's pretty obvious that story is fake as well. It came from the bitcoin forums though so who knows.

Put it this way...if "at hospital, lost fingat" is real, "at hospital, braindamaged by Buttcoin" could be real too.

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

I just realized that I'll be in NYC at the time of the BitCon. There's no way, though, that I'd shell out money (and time away from friends and family) just to smell Bruce's fearsweat. I also wouldn't want to attend any of the creepy BitCon "mixer events" or really have to interact with those nuts in any way.

If you're broke rear end, you should just play detective. Wear a fedora and sunglasses and skulk in the corner of one of the diners during the "mixing" events. Discreetly take photos. Try to feed their delusions so they think you're a CIA or NSA operative.

That concludes your briefing. Now get over to the Meze Grill and get some hilarious footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Ah, but do the rules say how many bitcoins the team can spend? I thought not. Atlas's next project: Bitcoin Robot Components dot com! (Note: Atlas will never actually get around to making a website or registering the domain or putting together a business plan or obtaining any robot components to sell for bitcoins)

It's beautiful. :allears:

(From here, linked by Atlas himself.)

Good god, last I checked this thread, nobody had mentioned Atlas for a long time. I come back from a long wait to see this? Gold. Just imagine:

"Nyeh...I spent the last year for 12 hours a day trying to figure out how the world works (from my room)".