Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Making money through paying my power company more money. Genius!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

fishmech is such a retard that even a dumbass like Martin Random can take him down.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

My buttcoins :psyduck:

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

So just like peak oil there is peak buttcoin?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

an adult beverage posted:

She wrote a song about asperger internet currency, so yes.

I think it's actually a cover

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Yikes it's in the $15 range now

http://mtgoxlive.com/orders is pretty cool if not just for the live trades on the right. I have no idea how to interpret that hosed up graph but it also is cool

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

I'm like sitting here watching it crash before my eyes. Or is this a typical day on the ButtCoin exchange?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

If one sets up a rig with 2 6990s, how long does that take to make 1 ButtCoin at current difficulty?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

mysteryberto posted:

Bitcoin mining is dangerous!

http://www.bitcoinminingaccidents.com/

“I had just purchased and taken delivery of 3 5870′s and a 1200W 98A PSU; I was still waiting on the case but wanted to get started mining immediately. So I replaced the PSU in my work PC with the 1200W beast – however, I couldn’t be bothered to change the power cables attached to the optical and hard drives. Because I was using the wrong cables, I plugged the HDD and DVD drive into the 12V PCI-E power ports rather than the 5V ones…

I turned on my PC and instantly the HDD exploded – shards of metal went everywhere and the disks spun super fast and shattered. Luckily my face was only about 10cm away from it and so stopped most of the shrapnel from hitting the precious graphics cards. My DVD forcibly ejected and it’s motor burnt out. All of the power cables melted and made holes in their insulation then promptly popped out of their sockets. There were sparks everywhere.

And the worst part of this? My HDD had an unbacked up wallet on there with nearly 200 BTC (now worth $4000) as well as most of my university work. I also have a harry potter like scar on my forehead where the hard drive gouged my flesh while exploding.”
Cool story bro, none of this actually happened. Unless this guy is a total fucktard and managed to mash a PCI-E plug into not one but two drives somehow. Of course those drives also didn't just pop capacitors, oh no they somehow retained enough logic control to spin the platters (fast!) and eject CD trays before spontaneously blowing up like in some action-packed Hollywood thriller. Oh by the way 200 BTC was on the drive too!!! :jerkbag:

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

It basically becomes about finding homes for these mining machines where the cost of power is flat rate or free.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

This has probably already been covered but I gave a little thought to this and hypothetically if it was considered a viable currency, is there any way it could be useful without dealing with small fractions of a bit coin in daily life?

People are terrible with dealing with fractions, even the 100th denominations of common currency are taken advantage of as a matter of course. For it to be a viable currency we would have to think in terms of thosands if not tens or hundreds of thousandths before it even got off the ground in common usage for daily transactions.

Is there any mechanism for a devaluing or expressing the currency to make it manageable without screwing consumers?

You have cents don't you?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

They're loving around with furniture on this show and the camera guy has all the camera status information on the screen.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

The US Dollar had Ben Bernanke and Henry Paulson.

Bitcoin has these fucks.

edit: now the camera is in Demo mode, telling me all about its fantastic CMOS sensor and lens.

edit2: irc.freenode.net #bitcoin-onlyonetv if anyone cares

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Is the guy on skype mtgox, and the guy on the right tradehill? I know the host is on the left.

Also, are the filming this at the Best Buy demo table?

AFAIK, the guy on the "line" is from TradeHill and they are currently pumping their "senior programmer" who "designed software for rockets" and other corporate-speak nonsense that no one cares about.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

:siren: "Mark from Mt. Gox" is due on http://onlyonetv.com/?page_id=178 in a second

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

MtGox guy on and this stupid webcast is riddled with technical problems

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

gnarlyhotep posted:

The buttcoin dude just said Canadian dynamic IPs change every couple weeks. Holy loving...

So apparently Canada has one ISP?

e: btw: http://onlyonetv.com/?page_id=178

No and the lease time is typically 7 days, but regardless not everyone has the same lease time, if any.

Also this is the hugest trainwreck of a disaster of an interview I've ever seen.

Example: the moderator just took a troll question "will there be a LGBT representative working at Mt Gox going forward" from the IRC and asked it.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Rudager posted:

I love how everytime he asks the Mtgox guy a question, his answer is always "uuuhhhh give me a minute...."

every. single. question.

why don't they just put the Mark guy on.

What a Judas posted:

So will there?

I for one will not rest until this is answered.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Great, now I'm getting mails from "mtgox" (though the 'mailed by' actually lists it as being from "w001.mo.us.xta.net", though I have no idea if that's just normal weird internet routing poo poo or phishing bullshit) saying my account has been breached even though I never even registered on their site. How do they even have my e-mail?

It doesn't even matter whether it's actually mtgox or a phishing attack; it's not like one of those is safer than the other.
Seek and find accounts.csv and see if you're in there. Maybe you registered at some point. Spammers are just using all the emails in that file to send bogus spam.

from MtGox:

[Update - 3:45 GMT] Update: DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING
If you receive ANY email which seems coming from Mt.Gox asking you to download something (certificate, generating program, etc), DO NOT DOWNLOAD.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

illiniguy01 posted:

what is the waitfor delay supposed to do?

it looks like a randomly snipped piece of code

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

My new favorite image

this is mine

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

at Black Lotus (their last hosting company)

Black Lotus also being the most valuable Magic card (remember, Magic: The Gathering Online Exchange), so take that for what it's worth.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

TradeHill seems even more shady than Mt. Gox. Everybody kind of deserves whatever they get at this point.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Billy Shears posted:

From my local CL:

Now this is where the money's really at.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Hey is anyone that had a forced Gmail reset done having trouble getting it working on their BlackBerry now via BIS? The new password works fine on gmail.com but my BB refuses to accept it as valid wtf loving BITCOINS loving UP MY EMAIL :(

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Dame Cook posted:

Make that the $9-10 range. Shame that the new livebitcointicker isn't working for me, this would be fun to watch in real time.

? tradehill.com won't even load here

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Dame Cook posted:

It will, it just takes about 30 seconds. Not sure how anyone is actually trading on it with that response rate, though.

Well it does kind of load now, gives me this nice banner at the top:

quote:

06/20/11 10:45 Eastern - Trading has resumed. We're working on site performance. If things get too hot we may need to halt trading.

Libertarian currency in action, people.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

"Instant" my rear end. Is it at $8 right now or something? Jesus!

Last: 12.2000 USD, 2 minutes ago
Highest Bid: 8.0300
Lowest Ask: 10.0000

duck monster posted:

Yep. I think someones running around trying to break into gmail accts.

I managed to get it going again by resetting the password a further 2 times.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

their show just needs to be renamed "Demo Mode" and the camera OSD left on permanently.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Now they're trying to figure out Skype. This is like watching grandmothers trying to figure out technology, except these guys are supposed to be responsible for a cutting-edge currency.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

gregday posted:

Ew, is he not wearing socks?

He's got his swim trunks, and his flippie-floppies.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Guys don't worry it will be right back...they had the powerstrip hooked up to a light switch.

You know what that means? Demo mode and OSD are back baby.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

This is the future of technology.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Do they have an IRC chat going for this?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

CraigK posted:

Can't find a good proxy that allows me to rejoin the chat. Awww.

Protip for next time: Try using IE9 to load it up instead of whatever you normally use, that will buy you some time

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

I wish Al Gore wasn't in charge of this chat.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Al Gore hasn't heard of Magic.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

RedTeam posted:

2:00am GMT... I'm sorely tempted.

Need to get an IRC chat going where Al can't ban anyone though.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Iviv posted:

So... are they now just talking while they sit in front of a bluescreened PC?

Yep. And they STILL haven't figured how to get the cameras out of demo mode.

edit:

quote:

Jun 20 2011, 5:41 PM
brucewagner: Chat Moderator: bruce@onlyonetv.com

Everyone send an email to be a mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"Does anybody know how to set up an IFRAME?"

-Bruce Wagner