Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
So is it already too late to get rich on this Ponzi? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

All you guys making fun of the electricity bills caused by video cards are forgetting the option of basing your home's heating on the GPU. So you save on heating oil or whatever you normally use! Hah! :smugbert:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Patashu posted:

Waiting for the "uh-oh!" and "plop plop plop" sounds as it all self destructs.

e: so is now the right time to BUY BUY BUY or should I wait for a while longer until I get paid dollars to accept bitcoins?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Brown Menace posted:

MY KEYNESIAN DOLLARS :negative:

Also what's the crude homophobia to USD exchange rate, I think I can mine for some more awesome puns than Dong_Fagger.

I hear GayFarts cards give the best 'bang' for your Gaynesian homoney.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I'm rolling in schadenfreude because just on Friday Rickard Falkvinge posted this in his blog.

http://falkvinge.net/2011/06/10/bitcoins-four-hurdles-part-four-exchanges/

Stuff about how the dominant position of MtGox hurts bitcoin. But the best part is at the end:

quote:

This article ends my series on the four key hurdles of Bitcoin. In two days, I will publish the first article on Bitcoin’s four drivers (and a surprise opportunity). That’s going to be much more fun writing and reading.

Var så god, herr Falkvinge, I'm sure that will be even funnier to read than you anticipated at this point! :allears:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Bible posted:

All this just reminds me about all those old bank scams people used to run in EVE. There's no regulation, no way to track purchases or transfers, and no penalty for theft of bitcoins. This is all just begging for a massive scam of some sort.

They should combine bitcoin mining with EVE Online. The mining begins when you get to an asteroid field, then you must get your cargo back to a friendly space station while avoiding pirates...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

If I were a hitman and was paid in a currency that dropped by 90% in the blink of an eye...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Dross posted:

Jesus how does anyone keep up with this thread.

I'm using my video card to mine comedy gold from it. So far, I have only gotten a minor brain damage.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

insider posted:

I leave for an hour and its already down another 2 bucks. This is amazing. I wonder if the people who bought after the first crash are starting to panic yet.

In a normal ponzi scheme, the people who run it realize at some point that they have peaked and make a run with the money, or get caught. Some time after this even the true believers start to wake up. But since there's no one in the Bitcoin scheme to pull the plug or be laid with the responsibility, it will just keep booming and crashing for as long as there are people willing to put real money into the machine. In theory, assuming people don't wisen up (and some never will), it could continue for an eternity. It'd be like a perpetual Ponzi scheme.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

Well here's something interesting... nearly $500,000 worth of bitcoins has been heisted

http://gawker.com/5812125/a-500000-geek-cyberheist

This was already discussed here when it happened. (just in case anyone wonders if this is a second heist)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Abandon All Hope posted:

Not sure if this is in here yet:

You can assume that if anything originates from the Bitcoin forums, it will be in this thread long before any news sites pick it up. Half of the users over there are goons, you know.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

gigabitnokie posted:

Haha you're just as susceptible to things that are too good to be true as the buttcoiners. You know this will take longer than today to die.

Yes, in all likelihood the Bitcoin will bounce back and a week later it crashes again. Monkeys are being pumped out of their moneys, these cycles could continue for eternity.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

If they figure out who was behind this, do you think they will contact the police? What would they say? :quagmire:

Or would they have to form a posse if they wanted to exact revenge?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Bible posted:

I was wondering, and maybe its been answered in the 500 posts I skimmed, but what exactly is stopping whoever runs the mtgox wallet from just stealing every single bitcoin and disappearing?

Who would buy them? After what just happened, who would be stupid enough to trust Buttcoin with a significant amount of real currencies?

...oh. :haw:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

"These past days, I have done a lot of thinking about bitcoin that ended up with me investing all of the money I had saved and all that I can borrow into the currency."
-Rick Falkvinge, May 29 2011

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Rockybar posted:

It's literally some guy running a currency exchange off the back of his pc, I hope he gets done by the Japanese authorities. There are laws concerning stock exchanges in the U.S. and they legally have to airtight security wise.

This relies on the assumption that Bitcoins are recognized as a financial commodity by what ever Japanese court of law would take care of this, which we haven't seen a confirmation for. What would be the relevant passage in Japanese legislation?

Would an exchange dealing in WoW gold be held liable equally to a real currency exhange? Who would determine what the monkey money is really worth when it keeps swinging between 0.01 and 20 bucks and has no general recognition? Maybe MtGOX can just wait for the BTC to drop again (it would even be worthwhile to manipulate such a drop themselves), and then give everyone their precious BTC back.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Someone must have tapped the producer on the shoulder and said "uhh hey boss about that bitcoin thing..."

But isn't documenting a case of a fantasy currency created by paranoid libertarians imploding while it is still being run just what any reporter wants to do? It's easy to cover cons after they have been run to the ground, but to record the very moment when people still believe in it - that's comedy gold. So someone should be tapping the producer on the shoulder and saying: "I will show you where the Pulitzers grow."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Furious Mittens posted:

^^^^ - Waay too generous, Bro. I would go between 1-3 being legit. (Before we started, the show would be full of accounts from people in that Apartment, not genuine viewers aside from Hawkes, and he gave up a couple days ago)

Bruce seriously thinks that the chat room is full of legit viewers getting in on BitCoins. He's thanking the chat for their support....

We Are The Bitcoin Fans

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Got a link to this thing? I know it's been posted some pages back but I'm an rear end and don't save links.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

I propose setting up a bitcoin fund for Atlas so he can finally afford a psychiatrist he desperately needs.

One 16 y.o. female counselor costs 20 BTC/hour, one 18 y.o. male counselor costs the same. Two costs 50 BTC/hour.

I would probably go with the male, because he can better connect with them and also as an elder person he would be more capable of influencing Atlas. If we start with 8 hours of treatment, you will need at least 160 BTC.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Maybe I shouldn't feed the derail, but Russian names today work similarly to Icelandic/old Scandinavian ones: the first name is given, the second name is a patronym and third name is the family name. So eg. Russian PM Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin is Vladimir, son of Vladimir Putin. For women the suffixes change, eg. Mariya Vladimirovna Putina is one of the PM's daughters. Knowing the patronymics is important if you want to address a Russian politely, you use the given name and the patronymic. If you know them really well, you will just use a pet name, eg. Vladimir -> Volya or Mariya -> Masha.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tasty and Delicious posted:

Pretty sure a sucker is born every minute.

I've said this before: BTC has a chance of being a truly perpetual machine, since there's no central body to be arrested, and at least in theory it's always possible to find new investors. Just look at the Nigerian scams.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Insert puns here posted:

Fixed

Still not complete...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

I think you guys will like these:

(http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=26985.0)

quote:

MeSarah posted:

Umm, no offence but those SUCK!! Associating anarchists with btc only appiles to a small antisocial group. That by no means says "we're main stream". Plus they are too big. If you want to appile to the main stream then use something that is conservitive or understated. Just my two cents.

p.s. You know if those people did that to my property I would shot them dead. Its legal in Texas to use deadly force to protect ones property.
Two new ideas then:

:golfclap:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

It's that, but on the back of the tulip bubble.

Tulip bubble in the Magic The Gathering Online eXchange, none less.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It's time to create SAcoin. We could use them to buy ourselves avatars. Is Lowtax reading this? Hello???

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

blunt posted:

Change the algorithm to process forum posts. Free avatars in return for forums processing power.

What nonsense, that would be an actual useful application of GPU power! :mad:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I just saw the worst loving thing in my entire life in the Finnish television. It was a documentary on online dating, and as part of it they interviewed a guy who intends to found a "colony" in either Spain or Chile for Finnish single guys so that they can move there and marry beautiful, highly educated Hispanic women.
siirtokunta.org

But that's not all. He actually compared his plan to that of the Bitcoin. The first time I hear of Bitcoin in Finnish media, and it is brought up by a guy who wants to live with Finnish goon-equivalents in a third world country. :downs:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ClosedBSD posted:

Five years

2560 years actually :pseudo: :butt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Bitcoin is a failed cryptocurrency, so you know what it should be used for?

Wouldn't this lead the US political field into a situation where there would be only two parties?

ATI and Nvidia