Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

uG posted:

Of course! We need a digital currency, that isn't fiat, that isn't backed by gold and other trinkets, but by dinosaur fossils. We must rise above the government's money like a brontosaurus, to feast on the freedom at the highest tree of success! We must strike fear into the hearts of capitalist controllers like the inhuman power of the tyrannosaurus! We must hunt as a pack of velociraptors to outfox the con artists and manipulators! We must be as indestructible and stable as the mighty armour of the stegosaurus!

eDINOSCURRENCY®
"GO GET YOU YOURS"™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

XboxPants posted:

Oh, come one, Brontosaurus doesn't even exist! I think it's telling that the biggest proponents of eDINOS can't even tell a proper dinosaur from a plesiosaur (looks to be some sort of pliosaur, specifically).

If Brontosaurus doesn't exist then how come I have a whole box full of scientific models of them, clearly labeled Brontosaurus, from the nation's premier science museum? Next you'll try and tell me that the cryptosaur, the invisible dinosaur, never existed. Well, you can't prove that he didn't exist. If you exchange a cryptosaur for a ankylosaur the cryptosaur can go drink the Amazon river for you and then you can drink its blood to get high, just like federal reserve "toilet paper". It's a real currency for real dinosaurs and the real dinosaur cowboys or dinoboys to ride them into the future of success and freedom, and you need to stop being such a money slave and more like a lizard PRINCE OF MONEY.

Anyway it's the pliosaur that's the actually fake dinosaur, the name sounds like plywood which is a popular material used to make fake props - that's a hint right there that the JEWLUMINATI controlling the World Bank and the World Book (which describes the Pliosaur) PLANTED the fake dinosaur there to turn you away from eDINOSCURRENCY and FREEDOM AND ALSO PLIOSAURS AREN'T ANONYMOUS OR DECENTRALISED. Haters gonna hate.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

trucutru posted:

^^^ There will truly be a last bitcoin. The max is 21 million or so.

Since it will have crashed in popularity long before the last bitcoin is issued then the difficulty will go down a lot and the last bitcoin will be cheap to mine.

I don't know, by then it might have crashed so bad and for so long that it's super ironic, so a bunch of guys go "Oh yeah, remember buttcoins? LETS GET THE LAST ONE! LOLWMIIS1" and they get into a lolwmiisarious fight to try and get it but they never do because people either forget about it so no-one's mining or it's super ironic so everyone is and it retains that cyclicness for all time.

So people are always saying 'what's the last buttcoin' to their computers until the end of the universe, when the computer made from all the computers, finally united, can actually do it, and it turns out calculating the last bitcoin creates a whole new universe where bitcoins are a viable and sensible financial instrument.

1: Laughing Out Loud With My Implants In Space, a common future acronym.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Any bank would certainly have to be a long con, due to the anonymity of bitcoins and bitcoin-using people. Shorting the funds isn't nearly as profitable as just shutting down and running off with them, after promising the moon and delivering - a little bit - as bait.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Delthalaz posted:

It's amazing how these bitcoin folks seem to have nothing but disdain for actual business people or anyone with any real world experience/knowledge.

Actually, it isn't: the only reason why someone would care enough about bitcoins to post in a bitcoins forum is if they didn't have any actual money. Their lack of real life success is what fuels their dreams for success in this new arena, where they believe the slates are wiped clean and the playing field to be level. They believe themselves to be intelligent and savvy, so if they are not successful their inevitable conclusion must be there is something wrong with the dollars, not with them. Anyone with money and experience with money would avoid this experiment like anthrax-infused radioactive feces. Anyone without money and experience with money but don't believe that they are the second coming of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs would similarly avoid it because it is alien and risky sounding.

Thus: a forum full of people who believe themselves geniuses who know nothing. It's as inevitable as gravity.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

rcman50166 posted:

What about people who are successful but stupid? I feel like they could gravitate there as well.

Anyone who say, inherited lots of money who thinks Bitcoins are a good investment by definition won't have lots of money for long. Anyone who is actually successful in finance logically must either have knowledge or use people with knowledge which would preclude them going anywhere near it. The one scenario I can construct is a stupid manager who manages money men who hate him and are deliberately trying to sabotage him by telling him bitcoins are fantastic. And soon after, he won't have money or a job. He will have lots of time to post to the forums, however.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Orange Sunshine posted:

Libertarians solve the tragedy of the commons by having no commons. Everything is owned. Someone will own the roads, and the lakes, and the rivers, and the oceans, and these people will see to it that nothing is overly polluted.

Of course, this wouldn't actually work. First of all, nobody could own the air, which means there's nobody to stop factories from belching smoke into the air. The only way the oceans could be owned would be if the entire world was libertarian. And there's nothing to stop people from taking actions which will damage someone's else's property, but the damage won't be clear for quite some time.

In a Libertarian world, I could create a company called "Crazy Bob's Nuclear Waste Disposal", wherein I bought vacant lots at the edges of cities, dug pits, and dumped all the nuclear waste into the pit, in barrels that would last only a few decades. So 20 to 30 years later, the nuclear waste would start leaking out of the barrels, make its way into the groundwater and poison any wells or rivers or any other water nearby.

Nobody could stop me, but they could sue me for damaging their rivers... 30 years later. By which time I don't care, because I've long since died from my heroin addiction.

Oh it gets better than that. Because of that action people then won't use nuclear power stations that aren't certified by another company who investigates how power stations dispose of waste. People could pay that company money to shut down waste disposal companies, so they outsource mercenaries to help enforce public safety. But if some people refuse to pay for safe waste disposal, that means everyone suffers, so the majority who want safety and not tumours pay mercenaries to shake down the minority to force them to pay for the good of the public.

So they've created an EPA, taxes and police, ex nullus. Government self-assembles, or rather, is one of the lowest energy states for society to be in. That's why it is how it is now. The only way for any system to be more viable is if it is an actually lower energy state. The benevolent and omniscient Minds of the Culture series is the only system that comes to mind: everything is planned out so thoroughly and influenced so subtlety with technology so in abundance that anyone can really do basically anything and piss no-one off and lack nothing.

Of course, back on Earth, the only way for societies and economies to get better - to develop the Ice-9 to the current systems' water, if you will - is the same way anything else does: the scientific method. Hypothesises must be formed and tested through experimentation. It's a bit difficult at the moment because governments like continuing, in fact that is their sole purpose: to provide continuity and stability, and worse, that there are ethical questions to experimenting on large populaces.

My answer is orbital habitats: away from all pre-existing laws true experimental political science could take place for the first time. I doubt it would be difficult to find volunteers. Controlled tests on macro-sized populaces is what we really need to find a system that has the properties one would want: allows the maximum number of people to pursue happiness, allows the maximum possible living standards, to be powered by cultural and intellectual maxima rather than to suppress them, support exponential population growth, have the largest production, has the least scarcity, and self-modifies to be the best as per current research. A lot of current and proposed systems have or aspire to have some of these, but none do all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Cream_Filling posted:

I fully support firing all libertarians into space. No need to wait for the habitats.

Anyone can murder people who they disagree with, without the expense of rocket propulsion. If you really want to end libertarianism you give them a habitat far from where they can hurt innocents and let them do it, and show the world as they disprove their own political hypothesis. Just like how Bitcoins disprove and continue to disprove their own economic hypothesis.