Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

So seeing how even a few thousand dollars can shift the value greatly, as soon as someone with a lot of money in bitcoins decides to cut and run the whole thing will start spiraling down right?

This is what some of my friends have been so smugly superior about? It looks like baby's first bubble to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

evensevenone posted:

Who would your counterparty be for all these transactions at non-market prices? What's in it for them, selling for below what the market does or buying for more than the market?

I think what he is saying is that the other parties involved would have no idea that is what your intention is. They don't see the dark pool transaction and it doesnt affect the market price. Which is very exploitable.

In fact something like that HAS been exploited in the past on the NYSE. I'm pretty sure it is illegal now since it is essentially a loophole allowing someone to keep moving money in a circle, making the total amount bigger each time around.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

It occurs to me that might be exactly why the value of bitcoins keeps going up. People exploiting this loophole to keep buying them for USD which drives the price up and cashing them out using the dark pool which does not drive the price down.

Considering mtgox recently raised the minimum amount for using their dark pool I bet quite a few people are taking advantage of it.

If someone (or someones, though it would only take one person on a market like this) is doing this then the value of a bitcoin is far over what it really is. Only mtgox knows for sure though and they are making thousands a day in USD by not telling since the price of a bitcoin keeps going up.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

There are unironically people who did dump their whole life's savings into this.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Gamesguy posted:

That's honestly a terrible idea. In these kinds of bubbles where the underlying asset is frankly worthless, it's never going to recover.

Don't turn your 50% loss into a 100% loss.

Yeah I realized that right after I hit submit so I edited it out real quick. This thing will never recover like that.

Also I took a stroll through the bitcoin forum and counted at least 2 people who put everything they had into bitcoins.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Rabid Koala posted:

Take some screen caps. I don't want to have to slog through that sewer to find sweet, sweet treasure.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=13165.0

That's the big one. Dude made a thread just to announce that he was "all in".

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

Has trading been suspended or something? Price has been completely static for about half an hour.

MTgox stopped allowing anything through. I find this all very amusing so I'm starting to listen in on bitcoin dudes and some of the speculation is wild. A guy was saying that it's someone cashing out BIG so it choked the system.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Haha someone made .bit as a new top level domain. Of course no big DNS supports it.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=10826.0

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The CIA invited someone to come speak at a conference to tell them about bitcoins. I don't think they understand how little that means. They invite someone from virtually every new thing to come speak if it has more than 500 people interested/involved in it. They operate on the "throw everything at the wall and see if anything sticks" principle. It's why they have those conferences, to parade a few dozen speakers across a stage and see if anything is remotely interesting.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Lolie posted:

Oh goody, an IPO.

I love the last post so much.

Why are you donating money to charity? Who benefits?

Shine on crazy libertarians. Shine on.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Oh god oh god. Some of them want to create a bitcoin banking service to protect people's bitcoins in light of all the recent wallet theft.

It's like they are fast-forwarding through 100s of years of economics and seeing exactly how the currencies they hate got the way they are. :allears:

Speaking of wallet theft. My not at all scientific estimation is that at current prices over a million dollars with of bitcoins have been stolen by hackers using some kind of trojan in the past week.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Just from watching the fun unfold it seems like the latest drop in value came right as the hacker who made off with $500,000usd of bitcoins started cashing out through mtgox.

Now I have to wonder if mtgox tried to stop them and the ddos is the hacker throwing a fit over it.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Hbomberguy posted:

So is there anything stopping people from selling a product for bitcoins and just never sending the product? Or will the would-be buyer then have to call the police and get laughed at for trying to get them to rescue their internet monopoly money?

It seems like the only loss for the 'seller' would just be negative word-of-mouth for your business, but then what's stopping you from simply starting a fresh one? Is a crime even being committed when the money has no real value except among other idiots?

Of course I wouldn't personally do something like that, but it seems like it's an apt criticism to say 'no-one can stop people from just taking your money.'

It's already been happening, they don't even bother offering a phony product because that's too much effort.

They just grab a person's wallet.dat file, transfer all the money to their account and it's gone. There is no way to get it back short of doing the same back to them. The very features they use bitcoin for make the coins impossible to recover.

And you can't ever totally secure your wallet.dat file. Every new copy to defend against hard drive failure is another potential way to lose all your money. Even if you encrypt it it must still be decrypted and loaded into your bitcoin program to use it, opening it to attack.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Been reading more of their forums because I can't stay away.

The creator apparently holds 33% of the current bitcoins which have been generated and no one knows who he or she really is. The early adopters jumped on board because the person appeared out of nowhere, wrote an essay about how bitcoins are going to be the ultimate future currency and then launched it.

Everything just screams scam to me at this point.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Satoshi is the code name for radeon HD lines and Nakamoto is the code name for the 6990 series.

Seriously? So it probably is all just a scheme to sell their cards.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The HD6XXX line is the Northern Islands series. They're all named after islands. It took me 30 seconds to check that on Wikipedia. So no, not seriously.

I'm not willing to google anything about bitcoin anymore. I'd believe it if someone told me they were using bitcoins to buy the Brooklyn Bridge at this point, it's such a joke to me.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

If only I had invested in bitcoin when I had the chance. I could have filled a swimming pool with slimjims and finally fulfilled my dream of rolling around in a million greasy logs of meat.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The way bitcoins work makes it impossible to verify if any transaction is legit or not. It comes down to pointing fingers.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Maybe, but I wouldn't want them. Not only have they been running 24/7 under high load and possibly in high heat conditions the cards which are best for bitcoin mining aren't even that good at graphics rendering compared to what else is around.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The invisible hand of the free market.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Welp. A RL friend just told me his savings wallet.dat file was stolen somehow and the thief made off with almost 600 bitcoins he had been mining and saving for a long time.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

I'm sure that's a real knee-slapper if you have a degree in computer science or whatever, but I fell asleep about halfway down the page.

Floating points don't round accurately all the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_point#Accuracy_problems

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The forum that has had several megathreads laughing at how horrible pyramid schemes, ponzi schemes and speaker vans are seems like the wrong place to get all smug about making money off bitcoins.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Diogines posted:

Surely I am not the only person standing in shere and unadulturated awe at the stupidity of Bitcoin? I cannot believe anyone is paying real life value for these. I am stuck speachless. Three servers for games I play on just started accepting bitcoins to pay for server fees.

Right now people accept bitcoins hoping that thanks to speculators the price will bubble up again so they can sell it off, making FAR more than they would have if they just took USD.

But where does the money come from? The failure speculators who keep buying at the edge of the bubble and take large losses. A few have posted in this thread and on the bitcoin forum but most probably wallow in quiet shame for being duped.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

They are primarily motivated by greed. Isn't that obvious by now?

Nothing makes sense to them unless you attach money to it. Nothing is valuable to them unless you attach money to it.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I get annoyed at myself for letting my room get messy but it's not that bad. Makes me feel a little better.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I notice a lot of people from here are still pushing the "bitcions are legit" line here and in other places.

What you guys need to understand is that all the money you are making off them are coming from somewhere, you are not just withdrawing them. You're selling them to people who are buying them. People who probably think they are getting in on the ground floor of something that is going to make them money.

We've seen remorseful buyers post in this very thread already, admitting they were duped by all the buzz and bought in. I'd wager that there are many, many others who are not going to speak up because they find it too shameful that they bought bitcoins off people and realize they can't do poo poo with it except hope to dupe someone else when the price on the market spikes above what they paid.

So what you have is the commodity version of hot potato. Keep trying to pass it along down the line and whatever you do don't be the last person left holding it because then you lose. If you're going to participate in this at least be honest, you are contributing to screwing people who don't know any better out of their money for your personal gain.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

iSuck posted:

You're making the assumption that people scamming money is somehow weighing on them morally even though it seems most of them don't give a poo poo about how fair the scheme is as long as it's profitable.

I realize there are people like that in the world, I deal with them constantly when working. Doesn't mean I can't hold on to a glimmer of hope though. :smith:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I don't think Atlas is crazy.

I think he is a white, middle class male and around 16 or 17 years old. If you have ever been that think back to how dumb you were.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Is there a website where I can buy reputable hitmen with bitcoins yet?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Woah. He's going to run them for 28 days or whatever the return period -2 is at high stress and probably high heat then just return them?

Some poor schmuck is going to buy a refurbished card and wonder why it randomly dies after a year.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

When I want a chuckle I just think about all the people who bought a bunch of bitcoins when they were at >$20.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Something that has always bothered me, why doesn't Satoshi come back and cash out his huge collection of bitcoins? Since he got them for nothing way back when he could probably make thousands.

If he were going to do it then he would have done it back during the period with the overabundance of buying which drove the price up. Right now it's a bit too late since there are more people selling than buying.

Could be that he is a real true believer and wants it to become the currency of the future. Having a big stash like that could be used to enforce market stability behind the scenes if he wants to do that OR he could be playing it totally straight and has no intention of touching the hundreds of thousands of coins. If it's the latter then maybe he even shredded the wallet file.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

There is some :tinfoil: posting on the Bitcoin forums about how anything bad said about magic the gathering online exchange is deleted/moderated and the people who run the Bitcoin community and the guy who runs mtgox are really friendly, doing each other favors a lot.

Take it another step and look at how Satoishi is supposed to be Japanese and mtgox is based in Japan and well... it could all be one big glorious scam and they don't give two shits about bitcoins themselves or how many they have, they just want to get all the lovely transaction fees in real money.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Lolie posted:

Even the true believers seem skeptical about any claims that Satoshi is Japanese. His white paper definitely doesn't read like it and the techy people over there keep saying that he doesn't code like a Japanese coder.

That means very little to me since I know a Swedish guy and a Chinese guy who write and speak better English than I do. And coders from around the world who learned off tutorials online which teach primarily in an American style so that's how they code.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Orange Sunshine posted:

What do you mean by generating address?

I've looked at the history of bitcoin difficulty levels and seen the same thing you're mentioning, that the difficulty didn't go up at all for the first 10 months or so, meaning that the amount of processing power on the bitcoin network was about the same for quite some time. However, I assumed that there were a number of people doing the processing, meaning there should have been a number of different addresses where the early coins where going to.

Are you saying that there are a bunch of addresses from the early days which still have their original coins, or that there is only one?

In the early days there were 10ish(?) people mining and collectively they amassed 100s of thousands of bitcoins. You can look at the addresses in block explorer and someone linked one which is apparently known to belong to whoever satoishi is and iirc it had 200k or something silly like that which hadn't moved since it was mined.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=15747.0

I guess he got tired of seeing his forum totally dead except for himself and his bot.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Herpus posted:

the buttcoin forums.

Where else do you expect it to come from?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Herpus posted:

Libertarians wouldn't rob me of my right to internet self-determination. Only looters do that.

Libertarian is just a front for being a greedy motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

No way I am going on anything bitcoin related now. So I guess they won!?

Or maybe they lost if word spreads that there is a goddamn bitcoin virus out there.