Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Decrepus posted:

Isn't Ed his boss and not his mom?

I believe he's his daddy. His sugar daddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Which is a bullet right between the eyes of this whole thing. Will it be ever possible to cash out with no charge for anything, not just bitcoins? I'm assuming no...

If by "cash" you mean bitcoins, then yes!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cardiovorax posted:

Serious question, does anybody have an idea how the police would deal with this sort of stuff? It's not even proper bartering, because there's no actual thing being exchanged. It's basically like drug dealing on the honor system. How would you even go about seizing something like that, legally speaking?

Do you mean specifically for drug dealing, or generally for BitCoins?

If you mean for something criminal, then you would seize their assets. For the BitCoins themselves, you would probably just take away their computer and order them not to transfer their BitCoins. If they do, then you throw their asses in jail.

Honestly, it's not too hard once you seize the person.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

"civil matter"

(for bitcoin transactional theft/fraud, not outright crimes like drug dealing)

Fraud could also be criminal, assuming you can get the Police/DA to pursue it once they finish laughing uproariously.

Otherwise, it's a contract like any other. If the other side doesn't follow through, you sue them to either perform the promised service or to pay you damages. If you don't know who the other party is, though, then you're pretty hosed which is why anonymous transactions with no governing middleman that can handle enforcement are a bad idea.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Death Himself posted:

When I want a chuckle I just think about all the people who bought a bunch of bitcoins when they were at >$20.

And then I remember the pictures of them with their kids. Those poor, poor kids.

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/04/04/my_father_the_objectivist

quote:

What is objectivism? If you'd asked me that question as a child, I could have trotted to the foyer of my father's home and referenced a framed quote by Rand that hung there like a cross. It read: "My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute." As a little kid I interpreted this to mean: Love yourself. Nowadays, Rand's bit is best summed up by the rapper Drake, who sang: "Imma do me."
Soon, however, I began to question whether my father's philosophical beliefs were simply a justification of his own needs. As soon as the legal drama erupted, he refused to pay for even the smallest things, declaring, "Your mother is suing me," in defensive sound bites, as though it explained everything.

Can I buy new shoes? A couple bucks for the movies? Your mother is suing me.

Twenty dollars for a class field trip? Your mother is suing me.

From what I understood of his favorite capitalist champion, any form of altruism was evil. But how could that kind of blanket self-interest extend to his own children, the people he was legally and morally bound to take care of? What was I supposed to do, fend for myself?

The answer to my question came on an autumn weekend during my sophomore year in high school. I was hosting a Harry Potter-themed float party in our driveway, a normal ritual to prepare decorations for my high school quad the week of homecoming. As I was painting a cardboard owl, my father asked me to come inside the house. He and his new wife sat me down at the dinner table with grave faces.

"We were wondering if you would petition to be emancipated," he said in his lawyer voice.

"What does that mean?" I asked, picking at the mauve paint on my hands. I later discovered that for most kids, declaring emancipation is an extreme measure -- something you do if your parents are crack addicts or deadbeats.

"You would need to become financially independent," he said. "You could work for me at my law firm and pay rent to live here."

This was my moment of truth as an objectivist. If I believed in the glory of the individual, I would've signed the petition papers then and there. But as much as Rand's novels had taught me to believe in meritocracy, they had not prepared me to go it alone financially and emotionally. I began to cry and refused.

Hardcore objectivists often criticize liberals for basing decisions on emotion, rather than reason. My father saw our family politics no differently. In his mind, it was reasonable to ask that I emancipate myself and work for a living. To me, it felt like he was asking me to sacrifice my childhood so he didn't have to pay child support. To me, it felt like abandonment.

New shoes? Sorry, but the government conspiracy destroyed all of Daddy's Bitcoins and your WHORE mother is suing me.
Braces? Bitcoins.
Happy Meal? Bitcoins.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Where do you buy a shirt like that?

http://www.outofprintclothing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=L-1010

I know Urban Outfitters used to stock them, so the rear end in a top hat emporium is correct.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

fishmech posted:

It's called "breaking laws" have you heard of it? Seriously this poo poo gets done all the time, billions of dollars a day.

It's cool. You just pay a couple mil in fines, which seems like a lot but so long as you make more profit than fines it's just the cost of doing business. It's not like you'll ever go to jail or anything so long as you work for a big bank.

http://www.financialtaskforce.org/2011/05/19/u-s-banks-picking-mexican-drug-cartels-side-in-the-u-s-s-war-on-drugs/

quote:

For decades the U.S. has served as a safe haven for the ill-gotten finances of corrupt foreign leaders and their ilk. Former foreign government ministers, military leaders, and corrupt heads of state have mansions, businesses, and bank accounts here. The banks who facilitate much of these activities are required by law to conduct “due diligence” in determining the source of funds for these “politically exposed persons,” but compliance is spotty.

A recent scandal involves Wachovia, now owned by Wells Fargo, in which Wachovia was found to have laundered (and profited off said-laundering) $378.4 billion in drug money for Mexican drug cartels. It is just the most recent in a string of examples of the onerous dynamic between U.S. banks and Mexico’s criminal element.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lolie posted:

The latest from Atlas :

I can't imagine what could possibly go wrong with a 17 year old selling weapons online.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=29006.0

Every time I feel like Atlas has hit peak retard, he tops himself. I am truly impressed.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Unguided posted:

But I thought Bartcoins were a safe currency.

If enough miners quit, maybe the scenario we've discussed will happen, the one where a single network controls half the processing power. Then they'll be able to flood the market with bad trades and scam trading sites via mass false verifications.

e: Oh hey, there was a new bitcoin comic.

"Dollars? We don't use those anymore."

"Well, you better get some or else your dumb rear end is going to jail and the king's men will burn your hovels to the ground."

"Whaaat!?"

Seriously, this is the basis of a fiat currency. "Full faith and credit" relates to the government's ability to levy taxes to pay its debts.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Angela Christine posted:

I think he plans to be independently wealthy by then. One of his great ideas won't have hidden pitfalls (read: bloody obvious pitfalls) and he will get rich overnight.

You might think if it was that easy everyone would do it, but you'd be forgetting that Atlas is a superior human being. He is one of those "men of the mind" from his favorite novel. Due to his obvious and innate superiority he is certain to create a foolproof business plan that will quickly make him rich without requiring any particular education or expertise, and it certainly won't require any physical labour or sustained effort. All he needs is bitcoins and faith in the free market.

If we could somehow find a way to make money based on his stupidity, then we would be rich because that particular measure is going up UP UP!

I mean the guy just followed up his "sell weapons for bitcoins on the internet" idea with the thought that individuals should be allowed to have weapons of mass destruction on the basis that it would be an unfair government monopoly if only terrorists were allowed to have them. The multi-layered stupid in that statement, which follows hot on the heels of something so stupid I was wondering how it could be topped, is mesmerizing.

I am on edge to see when the stupid bubble pops.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

homeless snail posted:

I think the key thing you're neglecting to realize is no one wants to argue with a libertarian.

Seriously. It's like saying you're a pussy for not wanting to wrestle a piss-covered bum.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Gerblyn posted:

No, it's the Daily Mail, so it fits in with the typical, foaming at the mouth, right wing, populist agenda. Stating that a small minority who abuse the welfare system is indicative of its failure, is equivalent to stating that Bernard Madoff is indicative of the failure of free market capitalism.

Ah, yes, the Daily Mail. Truly a beacon for fine journalism.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

JDanielS posted:

This is hilarious because I learned about Shaka Zulu and his ability to frustrate British forces because of his charismatic organization of troops and allocation of resources which required the support of the local population.

If only he had created a decentralized currency then he could've easily outmaneuvered the British's archaic and dumb financial institution and caused the king himself to break up the government.

To be fair, Shaka Zulu was king of a kingdom, and he had taxation, too.

That said, small, tight-knit communities of mostly related individuals in societies with limited accumulation of property, low social stratification are pretty cool. A network of close personal relationships would allow for a social safety net to develop informally, along with most other aspects of governance.

Unfortunately, the moment your little society gets any bigger than a few hundred people or when particular power groups such as clans start accumulating property, then you'll have a problem.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Delthalaz posted:

The reason you can't go and buy penicillin whenever you feel that you need it is because if everyone did this it would gently caress up the world for everyone by creating super-bacteria.

Seriously, how do libertarians solve the tragedy of the commons? It's an incredibly basic problem that really can't be solved without some sort of central arbiter with enforcement powers i.e. a government.

The same goes for things like property rights or contracts. In other words, all the poo poo that libertarians love and obsess about.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Whenever anyone talks about "free markets," I mentally substitute the word "good" or "well regulated" for "free" and all of a sudden it makes sense.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Believing in the free market is like believing that the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus exist: childish.

It's like saying that if the Santa in the mall was just fatter and jollier and had a bigger beard, then eventually if he was Santa enough he would become magic and everyone would get free toys.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Yes, I think this is Tux. Those bitcoin fanatics are defiling Tux! :argh:

Man, classic tux is so much better than crystal tux in every way.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

chaosbreather posted:

Of course, back on Earth, the only way for societies and economies to get better - to develop the Ice-9 to the current systems' water, if you will - is the same way anything else does: the scientific method. Hypothesises must be formed and tested through experimentation. It's a bit difficult at the moment because governments like continuing, in fact that is their sole purpose: to provide continuity and stability, and worse, that there are ethical questions to experimenting on large populaces.

My answer is orbital habitats: away from all pre-existing laws true experimental political science could take place for the first time. I doubt it would be difficult to find volunteers. Controlled tests on macro-sized populaces is what we really need to find a system that has the properties one would want: allows the maximum number of people to pursue happiness, allows the maximum possible living standards, to be powered by cultural and intellectual maxima rather than to suppress them, support exponential population growth, have the largest production, has the least scarcity, and self-modifies to be the best as per current research. A lot of current and proposed systems have or aspire to have some of these, but none do all.

I fully support firing all libertarians into space. No need to wait for the habitats.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

AuMaestro posted:

This is pseudo-history, but Jared Diamond has suggested that the failure of the Norwegian Greenland colony was essentially the result of libertarianism. The owners of the land instructed their employees to concentrate on the wool industry instead of gathering food, and as soon as the weather turned from marginal to genuinely bad they all died.

Dunno, that just sounds like they were being foolishly selfish and short-sighted. Oh waiiiit

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Herpus posted:

I was playing New Vegas and all of a sudden everything ground down to a halt. Lo and behold I had eight different processes helpfully called bitcoin-miner.exe running and a hidden folder with a buttcoin mining app in it.

You should probably report that to the proper security groups. What's the procedure for doing something like that?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Chronojam posted:

This is ironic because New Vegas itself has a good example of lack of government versus government. On the strip, if you shoot somebody, the robots will punish you. In the libertarian wastes, if you shoot somebody, you now profit from all of their guns and money-- and are more capable when it comes to taking the next guy's guns and money. So you were basically playing proof against the miner's ideas.

What should be the term for an ideology that advocates for a system of government based on the cold, logical rule of computers and robots? A technotarian? A cyber-facist? Inquiring minds want to know!

A government of robot laws, not men.

Hmm, what was it called in V for Vendetta?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

drunken officeparty posted:

As I was reading Wikipedia to see if this was the case, I realized I've mostly just been injecting my own thoughts into what I kind of knew what Objectivism is. I still stand by my arguments, they just need a different name :saddowns:

No offense, dude, but instead of sitting around reinventing the wheel how about maybe going out and actually learning about philosophy?

I know this book is a popular introductory text, and it should be in the library or whatever:
http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Passion_of_the_western_mind.html?id=fxCNQwAACAAJ

and here I just grabbed the first introductory student-looking thing on google that was free:
http://www.akat.com/MeaningOfLove/introeth.htm

Because, seriously, philosophy is an extremely large and complicated subject that isn't really something you can learn from Wikipedia and asking people really basic questions on the internet.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cardiovorax posted:

So's screwing each other over when you think you can get away with it. Cooperation is the human survival strategy, but politicking to be the top monkey is how we get to reproduce. Chimpanzees steal from each other, fight each other and even outright conspire against each other. Objectivism appeals to that "angry monkey" part of you.

Reminds me of that Bedouin saying. "Me and my brother against my cousin, me and my cousin against everyone else."
Honestly, philosophy and morals are just another form of technology which lets people extend their faculties beyond the limitations that they were physically born with. In the case of this particular technology, it allows for cooperation on a massive scale far beyond the normal ability for other social animals to self-govern and direct their behavior. I think that it's fairly well supported to say that people (save psychopaths) have some in-built sense of empathy, and that desire is amplified and refined by philosophy, morals, etc., into systems of governance and justice.

The development of almost all other technologies is dependent on the storage and transmission of information, energy, and the ability to work together towards common ends. You literally cannot live alone as a human being.

The big problem, of course, is that empathy only really works for personal interactions, and can break down in a large modern society where very few people actually personally interact with or know each other. Also, empathy can be "hacked" and disabled depending on things like in-group loyalties and the like. That's why we need more sophisticated systems of governance for any group larger than small tribal bands, where informal social networks can resolve almost all disagreements.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

aehiilrs posted:

Here you go! Text-only but possibly :nws:

What the gently caress is this? Do I even want to know what this is all about?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Elysiume posted:

Every appliance is a cyborg. Then, :roboluv:

If I saw someone wearing that shirt yesterday, I'd've thought "what?" and just carried on. If I saw someone wearing that shirt now, after reading that story, I would avoid them as much as possible. That story was so goddamn weird.

I mean that shirt can't actually be directly related to that story, right?

I mean what kind of moron would actually wear a shirt like this?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Delthalaz posted:

I think the poly-atheism image is pretty funny.

NOPE

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Eox posted:

Screw everything else, I would wear a shirt with just 'Nope' on it

Actually, I could get behind this

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GidgetNomates posted:

The joke of that comic is that bitcoin is a useless currency where you have a window of all of 5 minutes to get bitcoins at a specific price because they're so goddamn unstable.

Also you can't pay your taxes in them or indeed pay for anything of value at all except for Slim Jims and nerd t-shirts.

That comic is as transparent and absurd a wish fulfillment fantasy as the ones with mysterious animu girlfriends that love you or magically turning into a woman.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bash Ironfist posted:

It's not just the U.S. My cousin and two of his friends have been traveling for the past 8 months through Europe, just backpacking and seeing the sights. They carry credit cards, but not cash. They went to enter England, but my cousin's two friends were denied, as the officals thought they were trying to enter to work, because they only had like 100 dollars on them. Even though they explained they used their credit cards.

And yet if you carry too much cash, they think you're a drug dealer. Just wait till the Bitconomy comes around... you'll all get yours :argh: raar big governmeeeeent

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dre2Dee2 posted:

How can you produce something that has no practical use, isn't a physical object, and has a maximum quantity arbitrarily predetermined

Just wondering :allears:

Bitcoins aren't produced. They're discovered.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Devian666 posted:

Reading about something this incredibly stupid when it comes to dealing with significant amounts of money never surprises me when it relates to bitcoins.

Lets have the whole business riding on a single wrong click, or use a dumb story to explain running with all the money.

Hey, knowing the users, that dumb story will probably buy him enough time to sell all the bitcoins and move on to his next scam with nary a problem. The user base is already so used to unreasonable delays and mind-boggling incompetence that it'll probably take months for some of them to realize that they've been had after their emails asking where the money is start bouncing.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

NihilCredo posted:

Because all of those are centralised servers under the control of a single entity, and if they decide to be dicks (like PayPal does all the time), or if the law orders them to be (whether because you're a drug dealer or a freedom fighter), your funds can be frozen or otherwise made unavailable to you in a blink and you can do jack squat about it.

The point of BitCoin, and the reason I have nothing but sheer admiration for Mr. Nakamoto's work, is that they're the closest possible analogue to online cash: as long as you keep your wallet(.dat) safe in your possession, nobody can take away your money*.

Which of course makes it supremely idiotic to have "banking" services like mybitcoin.com. You are losing what is by far the most important advantage of BitCoin, just because you're too loving lazy or stupid to properly backup a single <1MB file.

In the BRIGHT AND SHINING TOMORROW where Bitcoins is the new universal currency, ok, there will be grandmothers in need of such a service. But right now? Madness. Madness and stupidity.

* You still have the risk of the entire currency crashing and becoming worthless, of course; a few weeks ago I would have called that a gigantic danger, nowadays I'm not so sure - there seem to be enough zealots to keep it afloat even as a niche currency.

Except the basic problem of any peer-to-peer service: if you control or compromise enough peers, you can manipulate the service.

Also, the anonymity of the transactions themselves are actually in some ways extremely weak compared to cash because as soon as you learn someone's identity (by, say, speaking with them before a transaction), you can trace all of their transactions under that account since all transaction records are public by design. This means you could easily start assembling a network of accounts linked by transactions to that person and thus figure out quite a lot.

While the technical implementation is interesting, there's not really any real new ground being broken here and the feature set itself is based on some false premises about what would actually be desirable in a new currency.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Well, just in case, I and a few others have figured out where their studio is located based on the shots out the window.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Anubis posted:

Yep, the only way around it is to either verify customers somehow. But even then, online poker did that and still had a fairly large amount of chargeback issues.

See? This is why Bitcoin doesn't have chargebacks. Those drat dirty consumers.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Computer viking posted:

Ha, I thought of her immediately as well. She also wrote an interesting article where she rails against the pressure on cancer patients to always think positive. Choice quote:

edit: Oh right, that's actually an extract from the book. Still a good taste of her writing (and the "think positive / if you have problems they're your fault" - phenomenon), even if the specific setting is different.

My favorite quotes on the subject:

quote:

No employer would ever admit to passing her over because she was missing that radiant, tooth-filled smile that Americans have been taught to prize as highly as their right to vote. Caroline had learned to smile with her whole face, a sweet look that didn’t show her gums, yet it came across as wistful, something less than the thousand-watt beam of friendly delight that the culture requires. Where showing teeth was an unwritten part of the job description, she did not excel.
—David Shipler, The Working Poor: Invisible in America

quote:

A “cheerful attitude” and laughing are tactics employed by all Americans, at an unconscious, even genetic level. Though many Americans privately know that one’s own smile is an attempt to put the other party at ease rather than a reflection of one’s own inner happiness, publicly, this is rarely admitted. Thus few of us know how many other Americans also force this desperate smile—we all think we’re the only ones faking it. These smiles are more like mammal calls used to identify the individual with the herd, to keep from being expelled. These calls that have to be repeated and repeated: you can’t just recite the backslapping platitudes once and you’re off the hook— as mammals, the office herd requires you to send out the correct marking signals every single day, every hour. It can be exhausting and humiliating. Yet the consequences of not constantly reminding everyone how normal you are range from getting placed on the slow-track to being first on the plank when the next downsizing diktat arrives from headquarters. In my own experience, this cheerfulness, this desperate smile, is one of the most corrosive features to daily life in America, one of the great alienators—a key toxic ingredient in the cultural poison.

The cheerful attitude must be employed if one does not want to be pushed farther from the herd, or expelled altogether. The optimism and laughter may or may not indicate that the person is enjoying himself, but they do always mean the person is trying to curry the favor of the collective, and trying to keep people from asking questions.
-Mark Ames, Going Postal

edit: one more

quote:

Cruel and callous when on top, and afraid and smiling all the way to the grave when not — that pretty much sums up the post-Reagan zeitgeist. And if you’re not just as cheerful as the rest, “you’ve got some personal problems.” You’re a weirdo if you complain. It’s your own fault if you’re traumatized by a massacre. It’s your own fault if you’re poor. It’s your own fault if you get downsized, overworked, bullied, and fail. Get over it. This is how Americans have been taught from the Reagan era through today to deal with people who are vulnerable: blame them for their own suffering. Move on. And if they don’t move on, that means they’re weird. Tell them to get over it. Which is to say, “Get the gently caress out of my face.”

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cardiovorax posted:

Thanks, that was interesting. This whole "never ever feel bad about anything ever" cultural attitude these days really weirds me out.
Maybe because we're all happy here and there is nothing absolutely wrong with modern American society Bitcoins. The only one complaining about it is you. It sounds like you're the weirdo here, so I will now conveniently ignore you in order to quiet the painful nagging doubts in my brain.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Bible posted:

Oh, I'm not weeping for him, I meant its really more disturbing than anything. Its just so pathetic, for exactly the reasons you stated.
I think I've heard arguments like this in relation to libertarians...
http://lesswrong.com/lw/gz/policy_debates_should_not_appear_onesided/

quote:

We live in an unfair universe. Like all primates, humans have strong negative reactions to perceived unfairness; thus we find this fact stressful. There are two popular methods of dealing with the resulting cognitive dissonance. First, one may change one's view of the facts - deny that the unfair events took place, or edit the history to make it appear fair. Second, one may change one's morality - deny that the events are unfair.

Some libertarians might say that if you go into a "banned products shop", passing clear warning labels that say "THINGS IN THIS STORE MAY KILL YOU", and buy something that kills you, then it's your own fault and you deserve it. If that were a moral truth, there would be no downside to having shops that sell banned products. It wouldn't just be a net benefit, it would be a one-sided tradeoff with no drawbacks.

Others argue that regulators can be trained to choose rationally and in harmony with consumer interests; if those were the facts of the matter then (in their moral view) there would be no downside to regulation.

Like it or not, there's a birth lottery for intelligence - though this is one of the cases where the universe's unfairness is so extreme that many people choose to deny the facts. The experimental evidence for a purely genetic component of 0.6-0.8 is overwhelming, but even if this were to be denied, you don't choose your parental upbringing or your early schools either.

I was raised to believe that denying reality is a moral wrong. If I were to engage in wishful optimism about how Sulfuric Acid Drink was likely to benefit me, I would be doing something that I was warned against and raised to regard as unacceptable. Some people are born into environments - we won't discuss their genes, because that part is too unfair - where the local witch doctor tells them that it is right to have faith and wrong to be skeptical. In all goodwill, they follow this advice and die. Unlike you, they weren't raised to believe that people are responsible for their individual choices to follow society's lead. Do you really think you're so smart that you would have been a proper scientific skeptic even if you'd been born in 500 C.E.? Yes, there is a birth lottery, no matter what you believe about genes.

Saying "People who buy dangerous products deserve to get hurt!" is not tough-minded. It is a way of refusing to live in an unfair universe. Real tough-mindedness is saying, "Yes, sulfuric acid is a horrible painful death, and no, that mother of 5 children didn't deserve it, but we're going to keep the shops open anyway because we did this cost-benefit calculation." Can you imagine a politician saying that? Neither can I. But insofar as economists have the power to influence policy, it might help if they could think it privately - maybe even say it in journal articles, suitably dressed up in polysyllabismic obfuscationalization so the media can't quote it.

I don't think that when someone makes a stupid choice and dies, this is a cause for celebration. I count it as a tragedy. It is not always helping people, to save them from the consequences of their own actions; but I draw a moral line at capital punishment. If you're dead, you can't learn from your mistakes.

Unfortunately the universe doesn't agree with me. We'll see which one of us is still standing when this is over.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The-Mole posted:

Although that has absolutely nothing to do with the UABB, that particular project was a fabulous experiment in Korean society in regards to academic standards and I would love to discuss it openly if anyone actually cared. Since you asked, I have to say that you are in fact wrong in regards to the failed track record. We succeeded in everything we set out to do. We sent numerous students to America without TOEFL/SATs (before we existed, it was believed this was impossible, and thus we have set a precedence in Korea and all of Asia). We provided a quality, and US regionally/nationally accredited curriculum through partnerships with numerous American institutions and helped numerous Korean families broaden their outlooks and open themselves to a world larger than their minimalist and inwardly focused Korean society.

Matthew N Wright, folks.
[/quote]

Dude's an English teacher who doesn't know the difference between "precedent" and "precedence". Also, he's never actually gone to college. Impressive.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Furious Mittens posted:

Sure he has, at such prestigious institutions as Buxton University (Diploma Mill) and Andrew Jackson University (Non-Accredited). He's also claimed he's going to the University of Liverpool for his Masters, undoubtedly they were impressed with his transcripts from those stellar undergraduate institutions!

The best part is how, after being scammed the first time, he reports that poo poo to the korean police and considers this "consulting with international law enforcement agencies." Buxton University VERY MISLEADING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Furious Mittens posted:

So he signs up for a degree mill (pretty obvious when they ask what loving degree you want on your diploma), receives his mail in diploma, calls the police, acknowledges it as a scam and still says he has a Bachelors from that institution. Then proceeds to sign up for another unaccredited institution....

Makes perfect sense.

*E* Also, how does one go about setting up a school in a foreign country, with US Dept. of Education backing and certification, without having any type of higher education themselves?

No, dumber than that - he uses the fake credentials to get a visa and then after entering the country turns around and tells them that it's all a scam.