Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
War sans End
Feb 3, 2006
enter text here
I think the correct term for Bitcoins is scrip. If we go by Wikipedia, fiat money needs backing from a government to be "fiat" which it's saying is Latin for "let it be done" and not terribly in line with crazy libertarian thinking. It's also not currency since I'm sure it's excepted less places than Canadian Tire Money.

CAustin posted:

Regarding the symbol denoting amounts of Bitcoins, I nominate the Cyrillic capital letter Omega: Ѡ

Because it looks like a little butt.

Just have to rotate it 90 degrees so it looks like a B. An rear end B, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War sans End
Feb 3, 2006
enter text here

Lolie posted:

Even using a really broad definition of scrip, BTCs don't quite fit it because they can't be redeemed with the issuer.

I think you could look at the distributed network, as a whole, as the issuer. In which case, since part of the network will redeem them for stuff, I don't think it stretches the definition to much.

Computer viking posted:

That said, it is a slightly fluent border. If their wildest dreams come true, and most stores (and currency exchanges) start accepting bitcoin, it would effectively be a currency. Not that I see that as a very likely event.

I don't think we'll have to worry about the hypotheticals.

War sans End
Feb 3, 2006
enter text here

Insert puns here posted:

The problem with fiat currencies is there's a central authority that controls the supply. If they go insane, they might hyperinflate the currency for shits and giggles, even though they have no motivation to do this unless everything is totally hosed already. This literally happens all the time and is a serious concern. Just look at what having a flexible currency has done to the financial situation in Greece and Ireland.

With Bitcoins, the supply is controlled by a magical algorithm that will eventually stop increasing it entirely. This is good because the lack of a trustworthy authority interested in controlling the value allows it to swing around wildly. Meanwhile, the fixed supply allows the economy to gradually fall into a massive deflation trap where early adopters and hoarders have enough money to buy the moon and common people are lucky to get a few picobitcoins, which they will also hoard. This is a better system because free markets.

To sum it up. Fiat currencies: you might get screwed. Bitcoins: you will get screw but free market :neckbeard:

War sans End
Feb 3, 2006
enter text here

fishmech posted:

Many of them say you would pay a subscription to a private police force and a subscription to a private judge system and this would solve the problem.

Somehow this is TOTALLY not like taxes to them.

Not to mention, this is totally what's happening in Somalia.

War sans End
Feb 3, 2006
enter text here

makomk posted:

That's not how dividends are meant to work. Any thoughts on what kind of scam this could be?

Unless he takes the money and runs, I don't think it's a scam. It seems to be pretty out in the open how you will get screwed if you invest in this scheme.

ymgve posted:

Today my bitbills arrived!

(Something tells me these bills will be worth more than the bitcoin value on them in a few months)

It all depends if you need shimmy up a table slightly or not.

War sans End
Feb 3, 2006
enter text here

ymgve posted:

No way. These will be framed and put on my wall, with the following quote beneath:

"My name is Bitcoin, king of currencies:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

I would go with "Ceci n'est pas la monnaie."

War sans End
Feb 3, 2006
enter text here

makomk posted:

Maybe, though even then it's relying on people not spotting the scummy redefinition of the word "dividend" or not thinking its implications through carefully enough. I was more thinking that this seems like the perfect cover for something like a ponzi scheme...

I think his idea is kind of like the opposite of a Ponzi scheme, since early investors will seem to get the short end of the stick. I think if there is anything more shady what's in the text, it's either him taking the investment and running or him skimming any gross revenue. Either way, its an unfair deal for the investor in a scheme reliant on what will probably turn out to be a scam. Frankly, there are better ways to waste $3 as an "investment".

War sans End
Feb 3, 2006
enter text here

Ogive posted:

I agree. And as long as bitcoiners are still getting their disability checks, bacon sandwich futures are going nowhere but up up UP! :zoidberg:

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but it looks like there will be no more bacon futures. Also, I'm really glad I'm in a country with socialized medicine. :canada:

Going a bit more on topic, how the hell do they track all the fractions of bitcoins that are produced from transactions?

War sans End
Feb 3, 2006
enter text here

Furious Mittens posted:

I thought for sure that Chef Marwan would have already jumped off this ship by now. He even basically admitted on the BitCoin show a while back that he really didn't give a poo poo about BitCoins, he just wanted the free advertisement.

I didn't think that he would actually go for selling these loving things in his what appears to be a fairly successful business.

You have to remember that restaurants operate on a thin margin, so I'm sure the extra they will pull in will look attractive on their bottom line.

Also, I think they sell shawarma:eng101:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War sans End
Feb 3, 2006
enter text here

quote:

What do you enjoy doing for fun?
walks, horse riding.

I'm thinking the first one may be a little suspect, but I'm hoping she is completely full of poo poo on the second. Just think of the poor animal, let alone the physics of her balanced on it.