Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Floppychop posted:

My biggest turnoff in Farscape was Rygel.

Even towards the end (Peacekeeper wars withstanding) he would sell out the rest of the crew at the drop of a hat.

He didn't really bring much to the table to help the crew, except for being small and fitting in air ducts every now and then.

He was useful when it came to making deals to get supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

bobkatt013 posted:

He was useful when it came to making deals to get supplies.

I actually loved Rygel for his underhandedness; he was the one member of the crew who was honest about only really looking out for themselves. Everyone else on the show had their Rygel moments, but at least he was consistent about it. His behavior helped to remind you that, even when they got along, they were a fractured family at best.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

DirtyRobot posted:

Stargate has a bad track record ... actors who are used to being a lot more active. :(
... whoops all of a sudden you've got an extra 40lbs or so

So... like the Airforce? :v:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The greatest moment on Stargate was the 200 where they finally meet the Ewoks Furlings. I like how their name was so stupid it ended up in a running joke 10 years later.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Hewlett posted:

I actually loved Rygel for his underhandedness; he was the one member of the crew who was honest about only really looking out for themselves. Everyone else on the show had their Rygel moments, but at least he was consistent about it. His behavior helped to remind you that, even when they got along, they were a fractured family at best.

Absolutely.

Also, Scorpious is one of my favorite villains in any medium. Highly, highly recommend Farscape to anybody who hasn't watched it. It doesn't REALLY get cooking until the end of season 1, but the first season is still highly entertaining.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Absolutely.

Also, Scorpious is one of my favorite villains in any medium. Highly, highly recommend Farscape to anybody who hasn't watched it. It doesn't REALLY get cooking until the end of season 1, but the first season is still highly entertaining.

I loved how Scorpius went from someone you completely hate to someone you actually like and sympathize with. Definitely one of the best bad guys I've seen on any show. Agreed about Rygel too...and despite his constant self-centered/underhanded behavior, he does care about the others, feels bad when they give him poo poo for being a shitlord, and slowly grows into more of a good "person" (though he never changes completely). Character development like that was one of the best things about Farscape, in my opinion.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Rah! posted:

I loved how Scorpius went from someone you completely hate to someone you actually like and sympathize with. Definitely one of the best bad guys I've seen on any show.

He looks creepy and he's never really a threat. In fact, none of the bad guys in Farscape ever seem like much of a threat. His motivations are pretty solid though, I'll give him that.

Rygel's by far the best thing about the show.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The last episode of Supernatural dropped a Stargate reference.

David Nykl's (Dr Zelenka) character was trying to use some magic demon summoning words. He messed up the pronunciation on a word and it came out as "Tau'ri".

At least Stargate lives on in spirit.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Sammus posted:

He looks creepy and he's never really a threat. In fact, none of the bad guys in Farscape ever seem like much of a threat. His motivations are pretty solid though, I'll give him that.

Rygel's by far the best thing about the show.

Did we watch the same Farscape? For much of the time we know Scorpius, he's definitely a huge threat. He spends half the show trying to kidnap Crichton so he can forcibly extract wormhole technology from his head, in order to develop a weapon for the peacekeepers. Hell, the first time we meet him he blows Crichton's cover and tortures him. He also implants a chip in Crichton's brain that causes him to go crazy and kill Aeryn, and then gets the drop when Crichton is trying to have it removed...in the process killing the friendly alien doctor dude, and leaving Crichton with a chunk of brain missing. Then Scorpius eats that chunk of brain. :stare: Of course we later find out that while he looks scary and evil, is merciless towards his enemies, and likes eating brain matter, Scorpius is basically a decent guy, who understandably wants to stop the Scarrans at all costs, partly for revenge due to his horrible creation/upbringing at their hands, but also because them winning the war means enslavement of the entire galaxy and the annihilation of the peacekeepers. Which at that point means joining and protecting Crichton, and hoping he eventually sees things they way Scorpius does, and shares the wormhole knowledge willingly. His cause is pretty OK, but his previous methods were brutal and sucked, and led to him and Crichton/everyone on Moya being mortal enemies for a while.

edit: the best thing about Scorpius was Harvey.

As for Rygel being the best thing about the show, I'm gonna have to disagree there. He's a good character though.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 27, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rah! posted:

edit: the best thing about Scorpius was Harvey.

And the best thing about Harvey was that even he had a bit of character development, diverging from normal Scorpius by a long way in the end due to fears about his own mortality even if he was only a computer chip.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Rocksicles posted:

Farscape, hands down. Embrace the camp, stay for Scorpius and Crighton. Did i mention puppets? There's Puppets.

Muppets* It's the goddamn Jim Henson Company, show some respect! The constant new muppets and awesome alien makeup are reason enough to watch the show, and luckily enough the rest of it rules too.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 27, 2014

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Hard Clumping posted:

Muppets* It's the goddamn Jim Henson Company, show some respect! The constant new muppets and awesome alien makeup are reason enough to watch the show, and luckily enough the rest of it rules too.

Some people might not like how Farscape fans tend to hijack sci-fi threads with overwhelming praise, but it's just so goddamn good we have to ensure that everyone experiences it. Farscape. Farscape. Farscape. Harvey.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Punch Card posted:

Some people might not like how Farscape fans tend to hijack sci-fi threads with overwhelming praise, but it's just so goddamn good we have to ensure that everyone experiences it. Farscape. Farscape. Farscape. Harvey.

Since Farscape fans hijacking other sci-fi threads with overwhelming praise is what got me to eventually watch Farscape, I would definitely also defend the practice!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's at least kinda relevant here, because of Browder and Black. (I still love that Shanks and Browder decided to switch roles for the Farscape gag in 200)

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Also relevant because they're both shows that aren't on the air any longer and someone asked what they should watch next. gently caress the haters I'll tell 'em who their daddy is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGjB_1lzbOw

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Punch Card posted:

Pizza. Margarita shooters. Crackers.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Everyone mocks the Muppets until they see Pilot. ACTUAL, NON-CGI, CREATION.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Apoplexy posted:

Everyone mocks the Muppets until they see Pilot. ACTUAL, NON-CGI, CREATION.

Who the gently caress mocks muppets. Where are they

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hard Clumping posted:

If you want to get all erect about it. Technically they are muppets. But after 2004 Disney owns the rights to the word muppet, not HensonCo.

My buddy worked on the show for a while as a painter/set builder. Season 4 mainly I think. They were working on Star Wars stuff too.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 28, 2014

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Hard Clumping posted:

Also relevant because they're both shows that aren't on the air any longer and someone asked what they should watch next.

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw, or be destroyed.
Earth Force Officer: Negative, we have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari Fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.

I've changed my mind. The visuals can be really dated, and the acting over-the-top, but you already watch Stargate, sooo...

Watch Babylon 5.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Rhyno posted:

Pizza. Margarita shooters. Crackers.

I think I posted this earlier in the thread but it might have been elsewhere, but I've intentionally had pizza with margaritas just to make that joke to myself. They really don't belong together.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Watch Babylon 5.

This can't be said enough.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I've changed my mind. The visuals can be really dated, and the acting over-the-top, but you already watch Stargate, sooo...

Watch Babylon 5.

Yeah. It's kinda a collection of cheese (but in a good way) and then they hammer out a line like that and it makes the whole show worthwhile. And everyone gets their turn to have the badass moment, even the guys you write off at the start as buttmonkeys whose only purpose is to make everyone else look better.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bruceski posted:

Yeah. It's kinda a collection of cheese (but in a good way) and then they hammer out a line like that and it makes the whole show worthwhile. And everyone gets their turn to have the badass moment, even the guys you write off at the start as buttmonkeys whose only purpose is to make everyone else look better.

Watch the first couple of episodes with someone who never watched it, and ask them what aliens do you think will end up being bad and which one will be some of B5 biggest allies? Chances are they will get it wrong.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I still like Sheridan and Boxleitner as him, he has some awesome lines and they're delivered just right. They did good by shoving two wars onto one poor gently caress, too. He seemed really saddened by the entire notion of the second major war front with Earth. :(

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

JohnnyCanuck posted:

The visuals can be really dated, and the acting over-the-top

It's 90s sci-fi, of course it is. Still, watch B5.

Or, alternatively, all of the X-Files is on Netflix, watch that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

B5 is one of those you watch for the excellent story, less for the visuals.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Punch Card posted:

I think I posted this earlier in the thread but it might have been elsewhere, but I've intentionally had pizza with margaritas just to make that joke to myself. They really don't belong together.

Nobody. Has margaritas. With pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOq0T980x8E

thexerox123 posted:

Since Farscape fans hijacking other sci-fi threads with overwhelming praise is what got me to eventually watch Farscape, I would definitely also defend the practice!

Same here, in fact this is the thread that it was mentioned in that got me to watch it. Gotta return the favor...It's the circle of life. Or I guess someone could make a Farscape thread.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bruceski posted:

Vir of all people gets one of the most badass moments in the show and turns out to be an unexpectedly cool guy even if it takes about two seasons for him to really get a chance to shine. He might actually be my favorite character in it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

tsob posted:

Vir of all people gets one of the most badass moments in the show and turns out to be an unexpectedly cool guy even if it takes about two seasons for him to really get a chance to shine. He might actually be my favorite character in it.

His reaction to The Question was the best one. :3:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

WarLocke posted:

His reaction to The Question was the best one. :3:

Everyone got their wish. Only Vir was happy with the results.

:)

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw, or be destroyed.
Earth Force Officer: Negative, we have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari Fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.

Watch Babylon 5.

I'll agree with this too. But unless you're an insane person don't try and watch through them simultaneously. I found out the hard way that balls-out acid trip scifi vs. stone cold sober scifi leaves you in a weird place.

kant
May 12, 2003

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Watch Babylon 5.

In fact, watch it two or three times to really appreciate it.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

kant posted:

Oh, I thought that was implied with all our recommendations. Bab 5 is a show that will stick with you for years and inspires its own rewatches.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kant posted:

Also to spot all the little things in the background. For example, in one early S1 episode the Arrivals board has an entry for the Rolling Stones farewell tour.

kant
May 12, 2003

Jedit posted:

Also to spot all the little things in the background. For example, in one early S1 episode the Arrivals board has an entry for the Rolling Stones farewell tour.

Seriously? Maybe 5th time around I'll see that one!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

There's a lot of time that video monitors in the background just say "Babylon 5 B-Roll :60" which you'd never see on TV but you see on the DVD Super 35 transfer.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, so I was just listening to some Rolling Stones on the way home today and uh, this may be a stupid/obvious question, but is Teal'c's legendary "undomesticated equines could not remove me" quote a reference to one of the main repeated lines in the song "Wild Horses", by any chance?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, so I was just listening to some Rolling Stones on the way home today and uh, this may be a stupid/obvious question, but is Teal'c's legendary "undomesticated equines could not remove me" quote a reference to one of the main repeated lines in the song "Wild Horses", by any chance?

It's a common phrase from well before the Stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Bruceski posted:

It's a common phrase from well before the Stones.

Really? OK then, I suppose that explains it. I just haven't really heard it being said at all, here in Aus