Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HHammond
Dec 25, 2011
I played it on PC a year or two back when I found a copy really cheap somewhere and it mostly ran fine except that in the FMVs the audio wouldn't work which really soften the impact of some later scenes without the brilliant music. Other then that it served it's purpose really well but I ended up moving over to the Playstation version when it came on the PSN around the end of disc 1 as I stupidly decided to mess around with the controller settings and I couldn't ever remember what I'd assigned to what when I came back and during those interactive scenes like when you have to impress Rufus Shinra in the parades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HHammond
Dec 25, 2011

Dauntasa posted:

Well, I had something called a little brother. It was like living in an airport in that "items left unattended will be removed and destroyed".

Yeah, I was that little brother for a while. Eventually, I learnt my lesson when I scratched a copy of Crash Bandicoot 3. However, just a few years later I was the careful one and my older brothers and sisters where the ones who where leaving all my discs lying about. Thank God they all have their own consoles and games now.

HHammond fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 3, 2012

HHammond
Dec 25, 2011
I'd forgotten how brutal this scene was. I'm vaguely playing along but I hadn't go there yet and I could barely remember this scene other than the Sephiroth swooping in and out. For me, this is the moment Final Fantasy VII goes from a good game to a fantastic game. I know the game has been pretty drat good so far but looking back on it this is the point where you realise that you are about to experience one hell of a ride.

The entire scene, however, is kind of undermined by the reappearance of Cait Sith. The first time I saw that happen I suspect I had the same reaction as most people had, which was swearing a lot at Cait Sith and returning to the drama, but I think his resurrection is actually genius but I'll explain why a bit later, although I suspect someone will beat me to it.

I do think Final Fantasy VII has the problem that most of the plot occurs in the latter half of the game. While I do really enjoy disc 1 there does seem to be a lot of messing around I could do without and it completely takes you by surprise when things actually start happening and you've suddenly got to pay really close attention in case you miss some important detail. The bad translation really does not help this. One thing I really hope if this whole Final Fantasy VII PC re-release is true is that they include a better translation. I don't think this game really needs a remake, I don't see how it would work in modern graphics as many people have said, but a better translation certainly couldn't hurt.

HHammond
Dec 25, 2011

second-hand smegma posted:

As hamfisted and badly written as the Cait Sith (2) death and return scene is, I have to admit that it's a brilliant interactive narrative tool. Not only does it surreptitiously prepare the player for the heavyweight emotional events to come but it also simultaneously provides false reassurance to any player thinking 'see, they wouldn't kill off a main character!', making Aeris' death all the more shocking.

They could've managed better translation and timing though.

drat! Beat me to it!

Yeah, that's what the Cait Sith thing did to me. I knew that Aeris was going to die, but after that scene I assumed she'd get brought back cos it looked like death was going to be cheap here. Slowly I realised how wrong I was. I realised eventually and then I read about the glitch in the church so I traveled all the way to Midgar just to get one last look at Aeris. I had to stop playing for a few minutes because tears where welling up in my eyes.

I always really liked Aeris has a character. She was sweet and kind but tough and she will not take crap from anyone! I always had her in my party and when she died I felt genuine lost. Few things have ever done that to me but FFVII succeeded. I really really don't want to a remake of Final Fantasy VII purely for the reason I'm scared they'd ruin it. They'd ruin the characterization and turn them into mopey JRPG cliches. I just want a retranslation so I can see these scenes as the writers intended. I can't imagine how it could have anymore weight than it already does but who knows.

HHammond
Dec 25, 2011
I was always thought that up until Sephiroth comes out and just says that Cloud isn't remembering things right that Tifa wasn't doubting Cloud's memories, she was doubting her own. As tiercel said she has no one to confirm her memories and she went through a lot of trauma that day. The reason why she's so scared is not because she's doubting Cloud, it's because she's doubting herself. She doesn't want to confront Cloud because what if she does and realises everything she thought she knew was wrong?

On the other hand, she's scared that if Cloud is the one who's memories are wrong then she will lose the only person left from her home town and childhood. Everyone else is pretty much dead and I think a lot of Tifa's love for Cloud isn't actual love but more her holding onto the last remnant of her childhood and home she had. I have a bit of a problem with Tifa's character, especially later as you'll see in a couple of updates, in that she spends the entire game moping after Cloud and waiting on his every word, pretty much shutting down as soon as she stops paying attention to her. At least Aeris tries to get stuff done and isn't completely defined by her romantic interest for a man.

HHammond
Dec 25, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

"Duuude, we need to dress you like a girl. It's the only way."

I now want to re-enact FFVII Blazed by renaming everyone "Duuuude". It would certainly make some of the more whacky scenes a lot more realistic if all the characters are very stoned and trying to work out what the hell is going on.

Anyway, finally caught up on the thread just in time for the ending! You did a fantastic job on this LP Elentor, you've increased my love for this game tenfold. Can't wait for the big finish!

HHammond fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HHammond
Dec 25, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We went on the bed and started making out naked and then he put his Sleipnir in mine and we HAD SEX. (c is dat stupid?)

All of a sudden I saw a tattoo I had never seen before on Cloud's arm. It was a black heart with an arrow through it. On it in bloody gothic writing were the words… Sephiroth!

All of a sudden, we heard a voice: "WHAT ARE YOU MOTHERFUCKERS DOING?!" It was Bugenhagen!

• Locked thread