Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Anyone ever get a brand new record that skips? I ordered an AFX/Autechre 12" off ebay, and it plays like the first 10 seconds fine and then just skips out of control. Each side does this all over the record and I'm really not sure what the hell is up. This is my only record that does this.

edit: Also, is it true you should never play a record twice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Dr. Lenin posted:

It's true. Records are one use only. Playing it twice will cause small fires due to built up static and heat from friction!

Haha, I knew someone would say something like that. I should have rephrased that. Yeah, I meant just listening to an album over and over. I only have like 20 records so I listen to most of them once a day.

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

So everyone has different taste in music, but we can all agree on one thing: vinyl loving rules. I forgot about this thread and I read about how you guys all splurged on those deals on oldies.com. I've been doing the same on stonesthrow.com (5 DaM-Funk albums and little drum machine) and also at this record store my buddy showed me on the other side of town. I feel like you guys listen to very different stuff, but hopefully you guys surprise me. Anyways, I've never really listened to them, but I picked up the newest Autechre 4LP box set(along with Flying Lotus-Los Angeles), and I actually really like it. Besides that, most of my collection is soul and funk stuff. Anyone else a huge Stevie Wonder fan?

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

How's that going for ya?

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Chim posted:

how do you like the autechre box set? is it more melodic than their usual offerings?

i can't compare because i haven't heard any other autechre besides this but yeah, i'd say there are some good tunes.

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

drat dude, thanks for that post, I'm about to grab a 120. :cheers:

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

picked up kraftwerk - autobahn for a buck today. life is good.

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Hot Fuss by the killers

new thread title?

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

i scored pretty hard today. got madvillain - one beer 7" for .50$ and tons of other bomb poo poo including doggy dogg world 12" that came with some insane deathrow stickers. also got herbie hancock head hunters for a buck.

edit: how much should a sealed bitches brew typically go for ?

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Ballz posted:

Sonuvabitch. Yard sale or something?

nah, found a new spot i'd never been to before. went back today and found some more awesome stuff. will get around to taking some pics here eventually. i also wanna catalog all my records soon.

BigFactory posted:

Like a sealed first press? I could see that going for $100 on ebay.

no, i'm pretty sure it's a reissue. i think there were 5000 made? i'll go back and check in a few days. they wanted 50 bucks but i'm not sure if that's a good price or what.

Chill Callahan posted:

Send me some of those deathrow stickers

dream on

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

BigFactory posted:

What are you going to do with it? If the answer is open it up and listen to it, you can buy one a lot cheaper on discogs.

can you link me the cheapest sealed bitches brew then? because that's what i'm gunna do. what else would you do with it? :confused:

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

"We recommend storing this record out of its clear polyethyline case, which will damage the vinyl after prolonged direct contact."

What gives?

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Can't believe my luck recently. Today I went to this place I'd been to a bunch of times so I kinda knew what was there. Picked out 4 records that were five bucks each. The dude only charges me ten bucks. Sweet. Then, on my way out, he goes, "Hey I don't know if you're interested, but we're throwing away that stack over there, you can have any of those records for free." gently caress yeah. I start looking through it and of course there's some torn up bullshit but then I started finding some great stuff. I found some Kitaro, Donald Byrd, Lou Rawls, Herbie Hancock and then possibly one of my craziest finds yet...

A little late, but hey, i'll take it.
http://www.discogs.com/Snoop-Doggy-Dogg-Merry-Christmas-Muthafuckers/release/861928

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Whaaaat the gently caress. Apparently the Snoop Dogg wasn't the best thing I found.

http://www.discogs.com/Gil-Mell%C3%A9-The-Andromeda-Strain-Original-Electronic-Soundtrack/release/669736

The sleeve was totally destroyed but the hexagonal record is in good condition. Wow.

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

CPL593H posted:

That is awesome and why the hell would anyone throw that away?

I don't get it. I even held it up and showed the guy at the shop and he just kinda shrugged and said the sleeve was too damaged. Dude was cool as hell, makes me want to head back there and see if he'll hook me up with even more deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

How does this type of thing happen?
http://www.amazon.com/Baduizm-Erykah-Badu/dp/B000005AYM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424136855&sr=8-1&keywords=baduizm

Like a while back, I got Flying Lotus - You're Dead for 12$ and just missed out on getting Aphex Twin - Syro for a similar price.

illestG fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 17, 2015