Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
After a few weeks of buying new records at Rough Trade NYC, today I found the awesome Human Head Records and stocked up on my first second-hand records.

While I picked up near-mint versions of Talking Heads' True Stories and Gnarls Barkley's Smiley Faces, the covers of the other three records I got were blemished in various ways:

- Ring wear on the back cover of Bowie's Diamond Dogs
- Scuffs on the back cover of Talking Heads' More Stories About Buildings and Food
- A pretty big worn-off mark on the front cover of REM's Reckoning

I got the first two for $16, and the latter for $8. All the records sound good (save for some nasty pops and a skip on the Talking Heads album, in the middle of "Warning Sign," arguably the best song :argh:), but I'm curious what y'all consider to be your "limit" for physical damage: do you avoid buying records with really blemished covers? Do you ever ask to give records a quick spin before buying them? Human Head has $6 and $4 bins I found a couple of tempting records in, but they were pretty gnarled and I was worried they might sound bad, too :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Rough Trade NYC was totally hosed at like 3pm, there was a ~40-person, unmoving line out the door, and it looked like there were similar lines inside.

Instead, I hit up some smaller stores, and found this loving jam for $0.50 at Human Head:

So I consider this RSD a success!

(under that is a $0.50 copy of Yes's Fragile that seems to be decent quality, but I assume will sound like absolute rear end, because why else would it be $0.50?)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

If it makes you feel any better, the line there was really long (made the store kind of hard to navigate :v:)

I totally forgot to check out The Crate, sounds interesting. Thanks for the trip report.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Snowy posted:

I just got Cypress Hill's Temples of Boom LP (no cover) and the Miami Vice soundtrack for $1 each. Crate Records is fun.

I was just there around noon! Picked up Men at Work's first album.

Was very tempted to just buy a stack of random funk/disco singles. So many amazing generic sleeves/covers ("disco tonight!"). Anyone here ever just do a blind bulk purchase like that?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Anyone have any recommendation on a record brush? http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-LP-record-clean-brush/dp/B0006VMBHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400027719&sr=8-1&keywords=vinyl+brush is the top-seller on Amazon, but reviews are a bit mixed.

Just bought a copy of Low that has some static on the B-side that I'd like to remove, hoping it's as simple as cleaning off some dust. It also has a really nasty skip in Sound & Vision that may or may not be fixable, man I hope it is because of all the songs on that record that is the worst possible one to skip :smith:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I really wanted to order all of White Lung's past records (on Deranged Records), but my god Canadian->US shipping costs :smith:

I'm still tempted to pay it, but ugh. I like being able to support independent labels, but gently caress if I wouldn't prefer Amazon Prime in this case. At least the LPs themselves are only like $10; their new album on Domino is twice that :v:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

7lip posted:

I'm in the opposite boat, to ship the new record to Canada is $15.50. gently caress you 'Murricans, White Lung is mine not yours!

That one ships for $7.50 in the US too, not exactly a steal here, if it's any consolation :shobon:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

7lip posted:

Not really! Shipping charges suck even harder when you only want one record.. Which apparently makes me spend more money to "justify" it and help I live in a tent.

Agreed! I've seriously been looking into other bands on Deranged to try to figure out if there's anything else I could throw in my cart. It seems to be about $19 shipping for one LP, and only like an extra $1 for each one, so I figure eventually the record cost:shipping cost ratio will be a bit better...

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Weird question that I'm definitely thinking about too much: why do many records from the mid-to-late 80s have this lovely clear plastic film over them?

I got this on a couple of records I bought today, and couldn't think of a reason to not remove it. I mean, I guess at one point it was intended to protect the cover, but I've never gotten a record that didn't have the film already tearing off. Plus, it has the bonus of removing the stupid promotional stickers on the cover without risking horrible cover tearing :v:

e: also, I got a haul today that, combined with my Lady Gaga shirt, had the record store owner judging the hell out of me:

* Madonna s/t
* Duran Duran - Seven and the Ragged Tiger
* Duran Duran - Rio
* REM - Fables of the Reconstruction
* The Clash - Combat Rock
* U2 - War
* Yes - 90125

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 20, 2014

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Surfingelectrode posted:

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (original US first press)
Joy Division - Closer (original UK first press on red vinyl)
Wire - Pink Flag (original US first press)
Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady (original US first press)
Tears For Fears - Songs from the Big Chair
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World (US reissue with the kick cover)

:stare: dear god, this makes me feel so much worse about what I bought today. That's a loving incredible haul.

Though hey, turns out the version of Rio I bought has the best mixes, and Madonna's s/t has some dope tracks, so I guess it's not all bad but gently caress

I guess this is what I get for stopping at my local store on a Sunday afternoon instead of a random weekday, all their good poo poo was gone by then. At least everything I got had been sitting around for months so it was like $6 at most

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I have a perilous sticker situation:

That's a sticker I don't want, on top of a sticker I do want, that's really stubborn. What's the best way to get it off without damaging the sticker underneath it? :ohdear:

(e: btw, to the other Brooklyn vinyl buyer I've seen in this thread: this was found on the Bogart St sidewalk. There were a couple of dudes selling vinyl of mostly-dubious quality, but with a few gems mixed in. They did keep their records directly below a bunch of dripping A/Cs, though, which made for an obnoxious browsing experience :v:)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 10, 2014

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Looks like the albums are $14 on CD, but $22 on vinyl. Not a horrible price for a nice reissue, though. I loving love both of those first two albums (haven't heard the two others in the bundle), so I'll definitely make sure to preorder them.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I've outgrown my single plastic crate full of records, and I'd like to upgrade to some proper storage. I was going to get the Ikea Kallax (the new Expedit replacement), but all of the shelves in the series require wall-mounting, and I don't think my landlord would appreciate that. Anyone have good, compact storage ideas that don't require wall-mounting?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The product page says that it needs to be wall-mounted though :ohdear:

e: I really like how the new Alt-J album has packaging that's almost exactly like their last album, reminds me of getting matching DVD box sets for a series

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 28, 2014

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

quote:

Good to know
This furniture must be secured to the wall with the enclosed wall anchoring device.
Different wall materials require different types of fasteners. Use fasteners suitable for the walls in your home (not included).
Hardware for wall mounting included.

:colbert:

It's also shown in page 15 of the assembly instructions.

I mean, I have an Ikea dresser that's supposed to be wall-mounted and does okay without it, but I worry a lot less about my clothes falling on the floor than I do my records.

(then again, those instructions also have a page for mounting the drat thing on wheels, so I guess it must not be that unstable)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

What the gently caress is even going on with big Mario's hair

after seeing that I've decided Mario should never not have a hat on, good god

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

That album art, and bonus track, are amazing

So jealous right now, and I'm not even a Mega Man fan

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

BigFactory posted:

One of the worst.

vinyl thread should be about really really good music and/or really horrible thrift store garbage and not mainstream pablum imo

This post is what finally pushed me over the edge to buy Artpop on vinyl, thanks

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I'm in line at Rough Trade NYC with a bunch of other people who will probably catch pneumonia, but at least it's way shorter than the midday RSD line was earlier this year.

I just want the St Vincent 10" :(

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The A-side is probably my least favorite Bowie song since his comeback (which isn't that damning, considering how surprisingly good The Next Day was), but I really the like the B-side :shobon:

Also the new St Vincent tracks are really good. Hopefully they get a digital release soon, otherwise I'm gonna have to actually figure out this turntable's USB recording thingy.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Reminds me that while I have my wires set up to record (thanks for the suggestion CPL593H!), I should record my Bowie bootleg. Sound quality is garbage (not sure how much of that is the fault of the bootleg or of the record itself, but it has a hilariously camp spoken word piece about the use of orgies in witchcraft prepended to the B-side, which was worth the price alone.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Have you heard Santa Monica '72'? It's one of my favorite live albums and an essential listen for David Bowie fans. It's much easier to get these days because it got an official release a few years ago.

Yup, I've heard the official release of that and love it. The bootleg I have actually became Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture, apparently (though the bootleg has a couple of tracks with Jeff Beck missing on the official release).

e: oh neat, there's actually a video bootleg of those tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ppd0AJ8SA

(the sound quality of the bootleg is better than this, but not by much)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 29, 2014

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

How do y'all feel about those Original Master Recording/Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab rereleases? They annoy me because while I'm not against buying rereleases (I just picked up the first Modest Mouse LP rerelease, lucky enough to find it in-store), they put that big ol' ugly banner at the top of the album art.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

That box looks like it's from an obscure cult classic German board game

also I kind of have to know what makes Chant Noel so challenging

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Rush's 2112 is getting a repressing, and it has a cute gimmick on the vinyl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqNF9IWmFQE

http://www.rush.com/2112-hologram/ posted:

Pressed on high fidelity 200gram vinyl, this unique Hologram Edition showcases a custom, hand- of the “Red Star of the Federation” in the album’s dead wax runout of side two. To reveal the spinning hologram, fans can use any focused source of light, such as the LED flashlight on a smartphone, directly above the turntable while playing.

For whatever reason, I feel like I never see Rush albums come through my local stores - only stuff I've managed to pick up since I started collecting is a scratched-to-poo poo copy of Exit Stage Left and, um, Power Windows. I might go ahead and pick this up because it's not too expensive for a rerelease and it's one of my favorite albums :3:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

What the gently caress, how do you just put a bunch of records out in about-to-be-pouring rain instead of taking them to one of like 40 record stores in the NYC area :psyduck:

I'm almost pissed enough at this guy to travel over there but I'm pretty sure they're gonna be soaked by the time I do

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

stay depressed posted:

congrats on being the first person in probably 50 pages to buy a record at a show

Up until I went out and bought a bunch of used records on RSD, this was exclusively how I was getting records for the last few months. The biggest highlight was when I bought a couple records at a Juan MacLean show and realized that James loving Murphy was running the merch table; as a massive LCD Soundsystem fan who never got to see them live, I swooned :allears:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Snowy posted:

There's a bunch depending on where you'll be, but I'd recommend a new place I just found near the Montrose L stop in Brooklyn, Superior Elevation. It's used stuff with a lot of reggae, hip hop, soul, disco. The selection is fantastic especially for how low the prices are. One of the best record stores I've come across in years. Oh and they're having some kind of party tomorrow with djs playing from 12-8. :slick:

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Superior-Elevation-Records/153320234731234

Hah, I saw this and thought "did they move into where Crate was?" before I saw the rest of your post. I'll have to check it out; I'm sorely lacking in all those genres.

I second Rough Trade and Human Head, they're really the only stores I bother going to (I've only been buying records for like a year and I do it very casually) unless I happen to be around a different one. Rough Trade is only new records but has a huge selection of them (and a decent books section, too, if you'd like something for your coffee table). Human Head has a good, almost-entirely-used selection and is run by some super nice people. They don't really specialize in any one thing, but I usually manage to walk out with a few records every time I go.

Also, transit tip: you can take the ferry from Manhattan to Brooklyn, right near Rough Trade (http://www.roughtrade.com/pages/NYCL), then walk to the L at Lorimer (which is only ~15 minutes away), then take it to Montrose to get to the other places Snowy recommended. You can then take the J/M back. Uber's also running some kinda carpool thing this weekend that can get you over the bridge for $5: http://blog.uber.com/nyc-uberpool-l-train-5-dollar-fares

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 16, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

fac53 posted:

Nah, I don't have Black Tie White Noise. I should have been clearer than "my Bowie collection" is everything from Space Oddity through Let's Dance, and then Outside through The Next Day.

hey, black tie white noise has enough good tracks to be worth owning :colbert:

hell, even Tonight and Never Let Me Down do. "Time Will Crawl" rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMhMaNAmT-U

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this is one of the first Phish things I ever heard and probably still my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRnueJP2k9A

I like listening to their live sets in the background while I'm working, probably wouldn't go to a show though (don't think I could get high enough to make me able to deal with it for that long)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I like it when albums that try to create a cool mystique with their packaging go and ruin it with a picture of the band

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I've had an Audio Technica LP120 for a couple years now, and I've been using the stock cartridge this whole time. Lately, whenever I play a record there's a lot of static/noise, even on pristine new albums, and I think it's because the needle tip is dirty. When I look at it, it definitely seems like there's some kind of fuzz/dust on it, which isn't surprising given my love of $1 80s pop records and being generally way too lazy to actually clean them.

Is it worth picking up a stylus cleaning kit, or can I just attack this with a microfiber cloth or something? And while I'm asking, is a record brush worth the investment if I'm going to keep listening to vinyl that was apparently stored in a dust factory for 30 years?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

CPL593H posted:

You should have a record brush and a stylus brush anyway, but if you've hate it that long and use it frequently it's entirely possible that you need a new stylus.

Hm, will try that if cleaning doesn't work.

Any recommendations on stylus/record brushes? Every one on Amazon seems to have a mix of five-star "works perfectly!" and one-star "destroyed my priceless collection/needle" reviews

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Barry posted:

You might have a lemon because I've never had a single bristle loose on mine. Or maybe I just haven't used it long enough for it to happen, who knows.

The complaint in all the reviews seems to be "worked fine until it didn't and then it ruined one of my records forever" :ohdear:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

honestly these days I buy records at merch tables and then just keep listening to them on Spotify

this way I feel less guilty about how awful music streaming services are for artists :unsmith:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

They're also rubbish for listeners vOv

Not really, unless you care deeply enough about audio that 320kbps Ogg Vorbis isn't good enough for you, in which case you're in a tiny minority of people :shrug:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Kaboobi posted:

Don Giovanni is having a kickstarter to clear out a ton of their stock before they move, there's some cheap random vinyl bundles available:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dongiovannirecords/help-don-giovanni-records-move?ref=thanks_tweet

Most of their stuff is fantastic, and I may do it despite having half their catalog.

Thanks for the heads up, went in for two LPs. Never heard a Don Giovanni band I didn't like :)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I paid $25 for my Doolittle copy :argh:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the Fez soundtrack is finally getting a vinyl release: https://polyshop.store-08.com/polyshop/po050001-polytron-fez-soundtrack-2x12-vinyl/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

get really into lovely 80s synthpop and it can be one of the cheapest hobbies imaginable

this is still the best $1 find I've ever had; I thought this album was the Pet Shop Boys single because I was paying zero attention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLq-Mu45WwQ