Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Some kid at my work saw my full face Shoei helmet and proceeded to inform me on why my heavy helmet will break my neck in a crash, whereas his really light novelty skull cap won't. He got really pissy and stormed off when my only response to his little diatribe was, "shut up, retard".

Oh, undergrads. You're all so dumb. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

hayden. posted:

Oh god please don't even talk about this, I have mini panic attacks every time I'm on one and look down (there are HUGE ones in Texas at least, like 10+ story building tall). Knowing I'm a single oil slick away from wrecking and flying over the side kills me.

Have you seen the video of the guy on a bike who wrecks on an overpass, falls over the side, and lands on an SUV?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

The problem I have with group rides is when you have people with the "Ride fast, take chances" mentality plus the general "gotta keep up!" riding mentality. It means people get out of their comfort zone, and that inevitably leads to crashing.

I wish everyone followed my group's rules. No one worries about being left behind because they know for a certainty that the group is going to wait for them at the next turn. If you get to an intersection and no one is there, go straight. It's impossible to get lost and it has really cut down on the "gotta keep up" crashes from the new guys.

Overheard stupid poo poo from the track this weekend:

:v:: At first I thought this busa was fast because I've never ridden anything else, but now it needs at least a turbo to match my skills.
:): How long have you been riding?
:v:: A couple months now. I've put almost a thousand miles on it so I'm pretty skilled. The only reason I don't go pro is because these people *motions towards AMA tent* are racist.

My eyes rolled out of my head and now I am blind.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Synonamess Botch posted:

You were down at Barber, right? I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that the busa has a stretched swingarm?

Of course. That dude came up while a friend and I were looking at his track bike that he road to the race. The busa moron was making fun of my friend's "chicken strips".

I'm not so sure he knows what "chicken strips" are...

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I had a Harley rider say, "I'll race you, first one who has to stop for gas loses". I guess Harleys are the pinnacle of fuel economy now too? :confused:
I'm pretty confident that Harley doesn't make a single bike with the range of a Ninja 250, but I could be wrong.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I live half a mile off ASU campus, I'm hosed. :(

Have you tried walking instead?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Walking 20mi to work? :v:

You said half a mile, dingus! :v:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I work on a college campus and live a little over a mile from it so I just figured he was in the same situation.
I ride the bike to work cause the bitches love it. :clint:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

SaucyPants posted:

someone rides that on the street? the worst I ever get to see is a guy with those stupid mohawk helmets

You don't live in the South, do you? That poo poo is tame compared to what I see around Birmingham.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

nsaP posted:

I'll join the ninjette forums with a bit of humility toward the community, from my past local forum experiences. I still laugh at this though. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77973

The poor people are deluding themselves or simply haven't ridden a decent sized vtwin or I4. I love the bike but sorry, it's totally weak on the highway and I feel vulnerable the whole time.

I should mention I merged in a section at a speedo indicated 85 today like it was normal traffic to everyone around me, so that adds to the stress. 65 is the limit in a lot of highways around (although some it drops to 55), but it doesn't stop anyone from averaging over 70 and sometimes it's crazy. gently caress being stuck with 30 hp in 6th gear.
I've put ~13k miles, mostly highway, on mine in the nearly 2 years I've owned it and I've never felt vulnerable because of a lack of power. The 250 is perfectly capable of riding super slab at 70-80 all day long. You aren't going to out accelerate anyone at highway speeds in 6th gear, but thankfully, you're allowed to downshift.
If you feel vulnerable or stressed while riding on the Interstate, maybe work on your defensive driving skills. I'm much more nervous riding my bike around downtown than I am riding on the Interstate.

Raven457 posted:

Tassles crack me up, every time, without fail. Those, and that stupid whip that some riders have. http://www.chilhowee.net/whips.html

"Although many of our old-school biker whips are sent to motorcycle club members, you don't have to be affiliated with a club to ride with the distinctive, old-school look."

Impersonating a gang member of any type seems like a monumentally dumb idea to me.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

nsaP posted:

I'm not particularly interested in a discussion, I'll just say that all the prep in the world doesn't help the poor suspension and lack of acceleration. Downshift? Hah, 5th gear would be tapped out. Maybe at slower speeds it is more comfortable, but traffic here regularly goes 75+ and since I topped out the ninja at 92 @ 12k after a bit of time WOT and tucked I'll stand by my statement.

Maybe try losing some weight?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

nsaP posted:

I was a little unfair or just remembered wrong from before, it showed 95 @ 11.5 today after a bit of time and was still pulling slowly.

I'm also probably 160 in gear but thanks for the weight advice.

I'm 200lbs and mine will do an indicated 110mph, but I've gone up a tooth in the front. You might have something wrong with your bike.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

If you regularly break traffic laws and don't have a lawyer on retainer you're a moron. You're also a moron if you just pay the ticket without taking it to court.
Seriously folks, just give a lawyer $500 and tell them you like to speed. They'll give you their card and you'll never pay more than $100 to have every traffic citation you get dismissed and you'll keep your insurance clean.
I've been pulled over 3 times since moving to Birmingham, one of the most broke cities in America, and every time they've let me go without even giving me a ticket when I hand them my license, registration, proof of insurance, and my lawyer's card. Cops aren't going to waste their time with someone they know is going to make them prove their case; they'd much rather go after poor people and the stupid people who just pay the fine.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

It looks like a 3AM tax service commercial on the WB.

Welcome to an outside view of your posting. :)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

cinder posted:

This belongs to a friend's old man. Don't see too many around, always thought it was an interesting bike, I never quite understood where it fit into Honda's lineup. (CBR Blackbird) 110k on the ODO!

I think you might be lost.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

MonkeyHate posted:

On why a novelty skullcap helmet is at least 90% as good as a DOT full-face: "I read on a legit site that if a biker were to get in a wreck that was bad enough for the integrity of the helmet to be a factor in head trauma, then more than 90% of the time there would be at least one other fatal injury on the body."

Oh no a legit site.

I hate it when I fatally injure body parts. :(

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

MourningGlory posted:

Can anyone explain the origin of the old school fear of the front brake? I've heard it a million times from old guys, but I've never understood why they think touching the lever will send them flying over the bars.

Old guys who barely know how to ride hold stupid beliefs based around their lack of knowledge. Go riding with your local cruiser accountants/dentists group sometime. Make sure you ride at the back of the pack and just watch the stupidity. I was floored the first time I did it. The thought that people who have been riding for longer than I've been alive still can't navigate a turn, ride at walking speed, do a u-turn, swerve/panic break correctly, identify potential trouble up ahead, etc... just blew my mind.
Most of the people out there riding bikes have absolutely no clue what they are doing. They just hang on to the handle bars, point in the direction they want to go, and give it some gas.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

I'll be the first to admit that this info was a revelation, which made it even more sticky than the rest of the facts presented. My theory is that the behavior is rooted in childhood bicycle experience. Locking the rear wheel was just the thing to do, as kids inevitably got into longest skid contests. There was nothing cool at all going on with the front brake, assuming you even had one, and everyone knew "some kid" that had flown over the bars after using it. Keep in mind I'm not talking about modern purpose-built stunt bikes, which are pretty much capable of anything. Yo Daddy's Schwinn did not do stoppies...

Ummm...you mean to tell me not all kids stuck their foot between the front wheel and the down tubes in order to pull off wicked endos on their bmx bikes? I know I sure did.
Of course, I was also the kid that built a halfpipe in the backyard and used construction sites near my house as improvised BMX courses.
Man, I miss being 6. :(

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

This story is pretty much why I limit my motorcycle chatting to either the internet, or friends. Same reason I don't generally go on group rides anymore.

There's a point where you just get tired of trying to carry that torch. That's why I love this site so much...people will sit down and listen to what you have to say, ask questions, and generally be open to input. It's not a mindless parade of "Tell me I'm cool for starting on a 600 supersport!".

My local sportbike group is actually pretty cool. I'd say a good 3/4 of the members do track days regularly. I should start a thread with our "group rides info" stuff because I think it's well written, good information for everyone.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

LPSL is nothing but a mildly clever bumper sticker that somehow became another factoid propagated by people unable to grasp concepts that cannot be reduced to four words. I think it'd be interesting to trace the origins--it probably has its roots in advertising.

I've spent some time on both sides of this, and at the risk of pontification, I'll make a few observations. First, by "loud," I think volume is sort of secondary--it's the percussion that drives people insane. You're setting off car alarms in the wee hours. Waking up babies that sleep a grand total of 29 minutes on a good night. In the morning, you're firing this thing up on full choke for a minute or more, which just amplifies it 5x.

On the other side of those rattling windows, it isn't Ward Cleaver looking up quizzically from his morning paper. It's somebody putting his fist through a wall, yelling at a kid, running downstairs in boxers to make sure the Taurus isn't getting boosted, etc. What chain of events have you just set in motion in the name of gaining 7 largely imaginary horsepower and prolonging the life of a self-centered human being? In some quarters, dogs are shot for less.

You want real rebellion? Read a goddamn book. Do something memorable, because from the seat of that soundproof Escalade all the world is a silent film anyway, and that's before the Jay-Z and subwoofer kick in. After it comes in for the kill, the bike will get 8 seconds of airtime on the evening news, and no one save a handful of morbid bike nerds will be looking for a Vance and Hines logo.

Take that you Team Ola faggots!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Cycle Asylum: We're pretty much the oldest sub forum on SA

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Dang, that's some good stuff...

It's downright... Marv-Olas! :v:

:golfclap:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

gently caress all of you Team Ola people, Team Marv is the only proper choice.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

Say something about getting her out of those yoga pants.

and into some real protective gear

*pulls out condom that's been in his wallet since the Clinton administration*

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Pffft, like I wear condoms. What am I, a fag?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

I've honestly felt let squiding it up a lot recently. My perf leather and leather lined cortechs are fine if I'm going 30+, but once I slow down or stop somewhere I start sweating like crazy. It heat itself doesn't really kill me, it's that I can't really go anywhere cause I'll get there red-faced and looking like I just finished jogging. I went to get a haircut the other day and the lady was literally giving me water and sponging my face. Then I see every other rider in shorts and shirts and think how much better they must be feeling.
:sigh:

There's honestly not much difference.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

OTOH, in the mesh I arrive wherever I'm going without being drenched in sweat, since the wind dries it out. So it's a mesh jacket on my 15 minute commute to work.

This is pretty much the crux of it for me. If I'm just going out for a ride on my own for fun I don't care if I come home sweaty, I'd rather be comfortable while I'm out riding. I'll gladly wear the windblocking stuff in that situation.
If I'm commuting in to work or going out with friends, it's mesh or nothing every time. I'll take a few rungs up the risk ladder in order to not be "that guy".

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

It's getting reeeeal nerdy up in here.

I got the joke. :(

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

So gently caress all this polite poo poo, I'm putting my money on September 21st as the day he dies since that's my birthday and something awful ( :cool: ) should happen on my birthday.
Any takers?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ola posted:

Basically real men out-man men using terms like "real men" without using terms like "real men".

I know this gets said a lot around here and all, but you are more eloquent than 99% of the first language English speaking population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Tamir Lenk posted:

I have vents on my helmet, but gently caress if I can figure out the switch on them. It has 3 positions, but I can never tell the difference in venting across them. Only rarely have I had any fogging, though, so it's not such a big deal. When I does fog, it's usually at a stop, so I can just crack the shield.

The secret to figuring out how your vents work is to ride during the winter. You will feel every single vent when it's cold out.

• Locked thread