Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

Shadow Warrior is now on GOG, if for some reason the idea of playing Shadow Warrior again appeals to you.
Well it is the next closest thing to Duke 3D. Which is where you turn once you find out Blood and Redneck Rampage aren't anywhere near as fun. Or Tekwar, HAHAHAHA. 3dRealms was supposedly thinking about reviving Lo Wang now that they've got so much freetime, I won't be holding my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Played through the DNF 2013 mod. Definitely the best Duke 3D mod I've ever played, it was actually put together better than Caribbean Vacation or Duke it out in DC.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I played Pirate Doom last week after reading about on RPS. Is it sacrilege to have enjoyed it so much more than vanilla Doom 2?

Jblade posted:

If you're looking to play some new Duke3D stuff, check out the newly released DukeHard episode made by the community (including me) It's set in a skyscraper with 17 levels by 15 different authors; the installation instructions are fairly easy to follow but you'll need Eduke32 to run it. It's pretty fantastic and the majority of levels are really well done.
That sounds really awesome, I'll have to give it a go.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So I played Pirate Doom! about a month ago and really liked it. Now I'd like to find something else kind of in the same vein. As in makes a lot of changes, has a well designed single player campaign, but still feels like Doom.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

I wish i could get Dark Forces 2/MOTS working in modern Windows, I loved that game when it was new.
It would be cool if somebody would do a source port, I just don't know if there's enough interest. Some of the work should already be done because they share some internals with Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island which have the Residual project.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zeether posted:

Also the FMVs in JK1 have acting potentially on par with the Star Wars prequels.
I will love the cutscenes in Jedi Knight and Rebel Assault II till I die.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Some weird freaked out on him for borrowing a heightmap he'd made of Cyrodil.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've never had a problem getting Dark Forces to run under Dosbox. Although I've always installed it from the CD.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Geight posted:

I remember Jedi Outcast being a lot more fun than this is, what the hell. All my guns suck and there's a shitton of enemies that do way too much damage and everything is ugly and terrible. :psyduck: Where is the fun game I remember?
I kind of think it behaves funny under Windows 7. For instance I don't remember getting instakill disruptor sniped on Nar Shaddaa after being out of cover for only a split second.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Geight posted:

The Nar Shadaa level might be a bit more bearable if you could move while scoped in and/or charging the sniper rifle. The enemies can move and charge!
What I was getting was like they were already full charged whenever I had to move between cover. There were some other weird issues going on too but that was the most memorable, a source port can't come soon enough.

I wish Jedi Knight/MOTS would get a source port too but there's probably not enough interest for that too happen.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

That's intentional, they're not bugged or anything. There's nothing processor speed or framerate synced there, they're just scripted to be precharged and charge while moving.

Someone was working on a Jedi Knight/MOTS reverse engineer project, but they couldn't figure out how to actually get things to render and collide properly.
I don't remember it being anywhere near that bad, and I used to play this game all the time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I remember thinking that GoldenEye hadn't held up well in 2001ish. Can't imagine what it feels like now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Once again, everyone always forgets Jet Force Gemini. :sigh:
No I didn't. It's a million times better than GoldenEye, the only issue it has is that fetch quest bullshit to finish the game, which is why I've owned it for 15 years and still haven't beat it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You can generally avoid those during regular gameplay, revolving doors on the other hand :suicide:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've been listening to Masters of Doom which is pretty good, despite what I'm sure are some embellishments. One thing I didn't expect is that Carmack comes across as quite a jerk at times, plus the whole BEEP BOOP *Sends cat off to certain death thing. I've got to wonder if an audiobook was in the back of Kushner's mind when he was writing the book, Wheaton's shrieking Romero-speak gets a little old after a while. The way Kushner makes it sound is that Romero is the intellectual predecessor to the 13 year olds screaming the n-word and talking about loving your mother you get nowadays.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Linguica posted:

My understanding is that Romero and Carmack were both heavily involved, and basically signed off on everything the author said about them.
Some of the stuff just seems a little too fictionalized, which isn't uncommon in the genre, especially when the author includes "actual" dialogue. Romero discovering his head in Icon of Sin seemed a little too convenient.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

haveblue posted:

Um, what?
One day he told the rest of the Id guys that he'd taken his cart Mitzi to the animal shelter because she was no longer having a net positive impact on his life or something like that. Romero ended up looking like the voice of reason and told him that was hosed up and they'd almost certainly put her to sleep, Carmack just shrugged it off.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

It's read by Wil Wheaton, so no, unfortunately.
It's only really anoying when he's reading Romero quotes. If you don't give a poo poo about whatever sort of status he holds in the nerd community it's probably fine for you.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

Double Fine (they of the Psychonauts and the Brutal Legends and the unfinished everything since) have been doing a series of videos recently called Devs Play, which sure enough basically involves DF staff playing and enthusing about their favorite old games, often with members of the original dev team present. It's not bad!

I'm mentioning it here because the latest episode has JP LeBreton (Bioshock, Arcadia Demade, DECK and other slightly less glorious hours) and a greying John Romero taking the scenic route through Knee Deep In The Dead (with E4M2 kicking things off as an icebreaker). It's basically two level designers from different eras enthusing about design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygp4-kmjpzI
Not to mention fat. Thought he was a lady for a second.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

I think he does it because he has a gigantic head. Long hair makes the head look a bit smaller.
I'm sure it was more about the rock star thing he was trying to pull off. It kind of worked, he looks like a fat past his prime rock star.

Finished Masters of Doom. It's kind of funny in a sad way that Kushner sets up the Stevie Case relationship in the epilogue as a happy ending for Romero, only to have to come back in the afterword to mention that it also went down the tubes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So I was going to try Golden Souls but can't seem to get it started. I've always just dragged WADs onto GZDoom but there are 20+ WADs in this and a gameinfo file. Dragging any of them onto the icon just launches Doom 2?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

it should be in a pk7/pk3 file, load that into gzdoom.
Ok, I see what happened. I opened it in Windows Explorer which decompressed it. Thanks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Golden Souls is fun, but fiendish as hell.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh man, I hadn't gotten that far in Going Down.

That is the most loving trippy insane map of Doom I've ever seen.

:golfclap: Cyriak you crazy genius
I was thinking that while kind of cool it wasn't that impressive, then those things happened.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dominic White posted:

It kinda reminds me of Sector from ZPack, but more thematically interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1AEmXwQn7k
House of Mojo from Pirate Doom has some pretty cool effects, but they really don't match the whole room coming apart like that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ah, the old Secret Shot II. Back when Nerf guns could still hurt you, especially if someone happened to shoot you in the eye.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You can almost see the wonderful voice acting.

Seriously Blood's voice acting sounds like something a 12 year old would have put on Newgrounds in 1997

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Valient's level design is wholly dickish but I'm still having fun.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mancubian Candidate just seems mean, dropping you into a dark room with a cyberdemon, lets add some spectres too just to really gently caress with you. Haven't finished it yet. Now I did. Taking it off Hurt Me Plenty would be easier but feels like woosing out.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 14, 2015

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Geight posted:

You're exactly right, the arena is actually the important part, not so much the Cyberdemon. so I'll compare two end-of-map Cyberdemon fights in Valiant.

First at the end of Mancubian Candidate, the player takes an elevator down after 'solving' the map and acquiring blue armor and a plasma gun. Obviously there's some poo poo about to go down, but it's really dark and when you flip the switch, all you hear is a revenant and some spectres activate. Then you realize there's a gosh-dang Cyberdemon in the fairly small arena with tricky lighting that constantly rotates, cloaking it in total darkness repeatedly. This fight is totally cool. The map isn't particularly long but the nature of it means that you've surely had to restart a few times by now, and it's a great use of the environment to create a panicked battle while still giving you access to cover and space to maneuver.

The encounter in map10 on the other hand made me pretty sad. The player is tricked into entering a very foreboding looking area with two pits available, one with a soul sphere and mega armor on a raised pillar, the other one empty. I decided to try my luck with the empty pit, and was rewarded with a Cyberdemon teleporting directly into my face and splattering me with a volley of rockets. The pit itself is just a straight-up cylinder, maybe a little bit bigger than the green armor room in E1M1. That just totally sucked. Even Scythe map29 lets you flee in terror when it teleports a Cyberdemon into your face, and the last two maps of Scythe hate you and want you to die.

Now obviously the next time I play I'm gonna try falling into the other pit to see if the previous run was a "You chose... poorly." kind of thing, but I really can't abide by putting that sort of trick at the end of the level. It's just not good Doom! :bahgawd:

Another thought that came to me while I typed this is that BFG availability is probably the second most important thing for Cyberdemon fights, after arena design. Even if you're not a sick-rear end 2 or 3-shot pro with that thing, it still helps a ton when fighting them and maps that give you one early can be expected to be more cruel in their enemy placement.

edit: I posted a lot of words to say "It really sucks to get gibbed after playing a tough map, and it makes me not want to play it again for awhile"
Is there a way to progress in map10 without jumping into that pit?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Geight posted:

Maybe/hopefully! I'll be checking out my options the next time I feel like playing.
I've gotten close to killing him a couple times but shooting rockets in such an enclosed space while he's shooting rockets just isn't working out.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Geight posted:

Yeah it's such a sharp uptick in difficulty compared to every other encounter on that map I figure there's gotta be something else to it. Since you're likely to get there before me, could you try jumping into the pit that has the large raised pillar inside of it? I'm hoping maybe it raises the floor of both pits and lets you fight the cyberdemon in the bigger area with access to the supplies atop the pillar.
I jumped in there first, the pillar rises to let you back out but that's it. I can't find any other way to progress. There are "blood angels" on three sides of the cyber demon pit but any attempt to interact with them doesn't seem to work. The funny thing is the cyberdemon teleport seems kind of wonky, sometimes he shows up immediately, sometimes you have to walk around for a bit.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jia posted:

There's literally a plasma rifle and a bunch of cells in that pit (or the other one? i forget--still, pretty obvious choice to jump down in the pit with the supplies first), and if you can't kill a cyberdemon with a plasma rifle at this point then I don't know what to tell you. I definitely didn't die there because Valiant sort of trains you to be super wary of anywhere that looks empty because boy does it love teleporting poo poo on you.
Not on Hurt Me Plenty, there are a couple medkits, that's it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

i managed to win that fight without losing any point of health or armor after a few tries. If you don't have a plasma rifle you'll be sorry, though. This is a fight that calls for plasma. Plasma and a lot of circle-strafing.
Unfortunately I wasted it all in a preceding fight. Leaving me with about 25 rockets, 175 bullets, and probably 50ish shells.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

How completable is Dark Forces in XL Engine currently? I'm forgot how much I dislike how they set up the mouse look in the Steam release.
Seems to be completable with a few graphical glitches here and there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Why does Zandronum run so much worse than GZdoom? I like to play coop sometimes, but it the fps will drop in the stock doom 1 maps.

Also goddamn the menu text scaling is poo poo and needs fixed.
Also why don't the (G)Zdoom people do some work on the netcode? Everything else seems to be in good working order, why not get multiplayer implemented?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't know how I managed to beat it as a kid. I'm generally better at most games now than I was back then, but playing old school FPS these days I tend to get my arse kicked.

I guess as a kid I was just a lot more persistent. That or I was in some kind of old-school mentality that I've since lost :shrug:
We didn't get home internet really early on so if I wanted to look up a walkthrough I had to do it at school, or a library, or grandma's house. She had internet access before we did. There was always a computer in the house, but because there wasn't a phone jack next to the computer we just didn't bother getting it. Of course the upside is my parents decided dialup sucked and switched us to cable a year later. But now with such easy internet access the amount of time I'm willing to knock away at a problem has decreased significantly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The gog release of Outlaws won't display sticks of dynamite or knives when they're on the ground or flying. The sprite when they're in your hand works, but the 3d object that's supposed to be there isn't visible at all.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

laserghost posted:

I've finally bought Outlaws on GOG, and to put it short, it's awesome to finally play the full thing and see how the various pieces I remember from magazines connect into full game. Interestingly, the UFO secret is in the first mission, and not the second, as in demo.
Anyone knows what the pen does? Outside of writing a note in guestbook at Stan's Used Coffin Store? :v:
Too bad the whole thing seems to be forced to work with Direct3D filters, so clouds look absolutely horrible and sprites are washed, but alas, probably using the D3D made the whole thing possible to run.
Check the room with the coffins after signing the guestbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Well, we know he's a virulent racist, so misogyny isn't such a huge leap.
He sent his cat off to certain death because BEEP BOOP!
SHE'S GOING DOWN TO CHINATOWN!