Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Colon Semicolon posted:

The STRAFE video makes the game look alot more exciting than it really is, honestly.

meanwhile, Retroblazer started their Kickstarter at... well, about the same time. Also looks like they want less money, but I question if they'll get what they want.

RetroBlazer looks kinda rad but I'm not sure why he's intentionally washed out the colors. Very odd design choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm almost interested in Strafe but they keep saying that the levels are randomly generated and gently caress that noise. 90% of what makes old FPS's good is the tight and focused level design.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I missed it the first time I looked at the STRAFE kickstarter, but there's a pretty cool arcade unit that lets you play a game-within-a-game

And its LUFTENSTEIN, a joke of wolfenstein mashed up with luftrausers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMMb1JfPQ48

That's pretty special :allears:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

RetroBlazer looks kinda rad but I'm not sure why he's intentionally washed out the colors. Very odd design choice.

I really, really don't like the art direction or character designs at all, but all that should be minor if the gameplay holds up. Looking forward to this one for sure.

Was there a playable version released a while ago? I have a vague memory of playing something that looked a lot like RetroBlazer from a few years back.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Zaphod42 posted:

I missed it the first time I looked at the STRAFE kickstarter, but there's a pretty cool arcade unit that lets you play a game-within-a-game

That joke is kinda double deep considering that Vlambeer themselves have made a Wolfenstein style game in GUN GODZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugi18zeQoYc

Apparently it's now free! http://vlambeer.com/3/

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I dunno what they're doing with the videos of Retroblazer. the demo/alpha/whatever doesn't have the blinding bloom poo poo going on at all.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They just released a updated demo to go with that kickstarter. Be sure to read the readme to bind the dash and altfire buttons.

They probably just hit the max presets in Darkplaces for their videos/pictures, without realizing it's meant for dark-rear end Quake and not their bright colorful game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/fully-loaded-bundle/

Bundle including Wrack for $5. I picked it up and I'm having more fun with it than I expected.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ohvee posted:

I kind of feel like this deserves to be here just as much as the kickstarter thread.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strafegame/strafe?ref=video

I think I'm sold just based on the pitch video.

I've only funded two kickstarters (Carmageddon and Double Fine) and this seems to be the third because :tviv: 90's and actually fun unlike Wrack.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I liked the Strafe video up until that ending with the kid's head exploding and then the mother tearfully mourning her son's sudden death. That was just disturbingly out-of-place.

Game looks okay, though.

Zaphod42 posted:

Funny as hell, when my Twitter friends noticed the similarities they immediately started asking Paul Veer if he was secretly contributing to this one :V (This is the first time he's seen it, so no, no relation.)

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

I liked the Strafe video up until that ending with the kid's head exploding and then the mother tearfully mourning her son's sudden death. That was just disturbingly out-of-place.
I was surprised at not being desensitized to that kind of violence.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I have a music mix for when I play Doom that is a weird blend of UT99 songs (almost all of them but a couple of the weaker ones, like the trophy room one), Hotline Miami 1 and 2, Quake, some redone Doom tracks, Silent Hill 2, and Aphex Twin.

It's a nice blend, but I consider the UT99 tracks to be the foundation of it. It's one of those soundtracks I have never gotten tired of, which is saying something.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Bouchacha posted:

I was surprised at not being desensitized to that kind of violence.
I can't really explain it, but for some reason, enemies gibbing in Doom or Quake or Unreal or whatever doesn't really faze me anymore, but seeing the same thing happen vaguely-photorealistically on film remains a little too much for me.

Still, I was getting more at the whole mother mourning her son thing more than the kid's head exploding, even though that's plenty gross. We're supposed to be glorifying violence here, not... that!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

What tends to come to my mind would be "Too Hot" from Commander Keen 4

Excuse me but this is the Early FPS megathread, so I believe you mean literally the only song in Catacombs 3d :colbert:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Double Fine (they of the Psychonauts and the Brutal Legends and the unfinished everything since) have been doing a series of videos recently called Devs Play, which sure enough basically involves DF staff playing and enthusing about their favorite old games, often with members of the original dev team present. It's not bad!

I'm mentioning it here because the latest episode has JP LeBreton (Bioshock, Arcadia Demade, DECK and other slightly less glorious hours) and a greying John Romero taking the scenic route through Knee Deep In The Dead (with E4M2 kicking things off as an icebreaker). It's basically two level designers from different eras enthusing about design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygp4-kmjpzI

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Oh my gosh that lighting :gonk:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Doomsday engine is kinda awful unless you turn off all it's features.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

Double Fine (they of the Psychonauts and the Brutal Legends and the unfinished everything since) have been doing a series of videos recently called Devs Play, which sure enough basically involves DF staff playing and enthusing about their favorite old games, often with members of the original dev team present. It's not bad!

I'm mentioning it here because the latest episode has JP LeBreton (Bioshock, Arcadia Demade, DECK and other slightly less glorious hours) and a greying John Romero taking the scenic route through Knee Deep In The Dead (with E4M2 kicking things off as an icebreaker). It's basically two level designers from different eras enthusing about design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygp4-kmjpzI
Not to mention fat. Thought he was a lady for a second.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Casimir Radon posted:

Not to mention fat. Thought he was a lady for a second.

I used to have long hair, and I'm pro long hair.

But Romero needs to cut his drat hair.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV6HlBa88js

This video is terrifically interesting, and I'm only 2 minutes in.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 21, 2015

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Shadow Hog posted:

I can't really explain it, but for some reason, enemies gibbing in Doom or Quake or Unreal or whatever doesn't really faze me anymore, but seeing the same thing happen vaguely-photorealistically on film remains a little too much for me.

Still, I was getting more at the whole mother mourning her son thing more than the kid's head exploding, even though that's plenty gross. We're supposed to be glorifying violence here, not... that!

I had the same thought about Fall Out 3. Didn't really even notice how gory it was until my wife watched me play it, then I suddenly felt like a psychopath. My daughter woke up from a nap while I was playing it once. I was just running between landmarks, so I decided to carry on until I got to where I was going. I forgot I had Boon with me though - he killed a human enemy with a single shot, and the game framed his death in a lovely slow mo scene. "Oh!" said my almost 2 year old daughter. "Man fall over!". Thankfully, it wasn't a gory death. God knows how she would have interpreted that one.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I know this has probably been discussed to death but I would suck SO many Atari dicks if they would just release the goddamn Blood IP.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

I think the thing is that gibbing in classic FPS is way too goofy and cartoonish to take seriously. Doom's gibbing turns an enemy into tomato sauce while the sound of a fruit being squished plays, Quake has gibs fly everywhere while a hilarious sound plays, and UT has gibs go shooting into the atmosphere while silly sounds play. In fact, Quake 1's gibbing was deliberately made to be humourous:

quote:

What is Quake's main characteristic to you?

Fast, fun, and funny. The "funny" aspect is something I think a lot of people miss in current day shooters - the humor is gone from it; games since Quake often take themselves too seriously. Humor is an important aspect of any "violent" game - or the violence just gets to be too much.

"Funny" is an adjective I would not have expected, could you elaborate what you consider funny in Quake?

Well, that's one of the things I remember most about making games at id while Romero was still around - a lot of laughter. We didn't tune things to be realistic or gory for the sake of gore - but for laughter and enjoyment. "Gibs" weren't disgusting chunks of charred human flesh - they were the battlefield equivalent of "Spam", and the sound associated with them always resulted in laughter. Later, things got too serious. Grumpy space aliens wearing battle armor invaded the comical world of exploding Spam and screwed up the fun.

https://www.quaddicted.com/interviews/americanmcgee

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Quake's gibs are also ridiculous in their size and shape. A human torso gets shot and suddenly out pops like 4-5 big clean chunks of meat, like somebody just set off a pipe bomb in the meat section of a grocery store or something. Big round blocks of flesh. Bodies don't come apart like that, even when blown up, but especially not when shot.

Its super goofy and fairly funny. Because the violence is 'cartoony' and not realistic.

And don't forget that 'gibs' is short for giblets :haw:

Compare that to something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9crCGMh4j9g (Watch the end part!)

Way less actual damage is being inflicted than in Quake's exploding gib bodies, but its so much more realistic, so it actually feels pretty uncomfortable.

I can kinda imagine having my eye lasered, but I can't really imagine being turned into 5 floating chunks of meat. Its just too far-out to sympathize with, its just zany.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think he does it because he has a gigantic head. Long hair makes the head look a bit smaller.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I want more games to have Serious Sam 3's gibbing options. You can choose between realistic or non-realistic red chunks of meat, green poo poo, carrots and flowers, or candy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

I think he does it because he has a gigantic head. Long hair makes the head look a bit smaller.
I'm sure it was more about the rock star thing he was trying to pull off. It kind of worked, he looks like a fat past his prime rock star.

Finished Masters of Doom. It's kind of funny in a sad way that Kushner sets up the Stevie Case relationship in the epilogue as a happy ending for Romero, only to have to come back in the afterword to mention that it also went down the tubes.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Elliotw2 posted:

I want more games to have Serious Sam 3's gibbing options. You can choose between realistic or non-realistic red chunks of meat, green poo poo, carrots and flowers, or candy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN3ZuU5R1Ws

The whole “rated M” bit at the beginning is rather ruined by the choice of music and visuals. :v:

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

Cacodad posted:

I know this has probably been discussed to death but I would suck SO many Atari dicks if they would just release the goddamn Blood IP.

Same, only normal dicks, and I don't care if Blood IP gets released.

Also, I love John Romero's hair, and all of the photos of id from back in the day. Seems like a real close-knit team of fellas, amazing to think that they came up with the masterpiece that was DooM. I still play it to this day. Not brutal doom, though. That can go to heck

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvFhz1h89zM

What source port is he playing this in? I'm growing tired of Brutal Doom and I want to set mine up to look exactly like this. It's perfect.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

Cacodad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvFhz1h89zM

What source port is he playing this in? I'm growing tired of Brutal Doom and I want to set mine up to look exactly like this. It's perfect.

I think it's GZdoom with smooth doom.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thanks dad

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

Cacodad posted:

Thanks dad

Greetings. You're welcome.

Does anyone have any good DooM WADs that totally change things up? I've played that pirate one recently, and I'm aware of a Sonic WAD, but is there anything else out there that's really off-the-wall?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Adventures of Square or Golden Souls might be up your alley.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Nah, he needs to grow a bushy beard to match it, then he can be a wizard.

RyokoTK posted:

Adventures of Square or Golden Souls might be up your alley.

Pirate Doom is consistently great, too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dominic White posted:

Nah, he needs to grow a bushy beard to match it, then he can be a wizard.

Pirate Doom is consistently great, too.

He said he played the pirate one.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
id has consistently nailed the "funny" part of the FPS as American McGee described there, even much later in its life. Blowing up enemies in Rage had the same sort of charm, with huge bloody chunks of meat accompanied with a gross squishy sound. It's like a caricature of gore, I can't take it seriously.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zaphod42 posted:

Quake's gibs are also ridiculous in their size and shape. A human torso gets shot and suddenly out pops like 4-5 big clean chunks of meat, like somebody just set off a pipe bomb in the meat section of a grocery store or something. Big round blocks of flesh. Bodies don't come apart like that, even when blown up, but especially not when shot.

Its super goofy and fairly funny. Because the violence is 'cartoony' and not realistic.

Kind of reminds me of Half-Life's gibs. Blow up some dude and out come two livers, three hearts, and a couple of skulls.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So I was going to try Golden Souls but can't seem to get it started. I've always just dragged WADs onto GZDoom but there are 20+ WADs in this and a gameinfo file. Dragging any of them onto the icon just launches Doom 2?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

it should be in a pk7/pk3 file, load that into gzdoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Looks like Brutal Doom J (a variant of the mod) just got updated to V20, or at least based on the latest test build.

It's my favourite of the BD variants. It's a bit more arcadey, a little less brutally hard, makes melee a lot more generally useful, and has really fun to use off-hand grenades that bounce *just* enough and not any further. It also comes with a tweaked version of Knee Deep In ZDoom, if you want a semi-official campaign for the mod.