Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So, I just downloaded the DoomRPG launcher and the launcher just crashes on startup. .NET 4.5 or higher installed, launcher in my gzDoom folder, main download DoomRPG wads and stuff in a DoomRPG subfolder in the gzDoom folder, that should all be correct, right?

Hmm did you find a fix for this? I got the same problem (Win 7 x64).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

DXH posted:

So apparently this is a thing again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yPPVWvB6I

Doom 1 and 2 redone in idTech4. I just reinstalled Doom 3 to play around with some mods so maybe I'll give this a go. What do you guys think? From what I've seen from the videos, it's not much of a scale up visually speaking from the numerous 3D model and texture packs already out there for Doom. I'm not liking that they kept the Doom 3 shotgun model and sounds but it's a pre-beta (alpha?) so I'm sure that will change.

Did anyone end up making a good game on this engine? It looks like it has potential to be fun but it seems like it ended up being some lighting showcase thing.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
True, Quake 4 was alright, should give the other two a shot. Brink was a really weird effort but had moments of good fun.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Quake 2 spawned Action Quake 2 and that poo poo was straight up fantastic on a 28.8k modem when you were 13 years old.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Tippis posted:

HL's problem, I feel, is that in trying to actually present some pacing, it goes too far in the opposite direction: the set pieces that are meant to slow you down and offer some calm between the storms are too elaborate — it's always one or two buttons too many to push and one too many closed doors you have to bypass in some contrived manner. As mentioned, it was the first step that set the stage for what was to come. It was a vast improvement of what had come before, but not even GabeN gets it right on the first try. By HL2 and the episodes, they had made huge strides in balancing action and calm, as well as in offering different means of delivering both.

I'm not sure I'm following you here, you think that the original HL had too lengthy interruptions in the flow? For me HL2 was way worse in this regard, when you have to stand around and pay attention to NPCs droning on about something or other. They really should have made that crap skippable on subsequent playthroughs.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Some wikipedia stuff about the Delta Force devs and the engine. Like most 90's FPS stuff the technology was interesting.

quote:

Comanche was also the first commercial flight simulation based on voxel technology. NovaLogic used the proprietary Voxel Space engine developed for the company by Kyle Freeman [7](written entirely in Assembly language) to create open landscapes.[8] This rendering technique allowed for much more detailed and realistic terrain compared to simulations based on vector graphics at that time.[5]

quote:

The original Voxel Space engine was patented in 1996, and first released in software in the 1992 release Comanche Maximum Overkill. The engine was then revamped into Voxel Space 2, and later Voxel Space 32 and used in Armored Fist 3 and Delta Force 2.

The technology was based on that of MRI Scanners and similar technology was used in games such as Outcast. With the advance of computation power in modern computers there do exist browser based versions of similar technology based on the Voxel Space terrain rendering used in Comanche.[5]

The version of the engine used in the Comanche series utilized ray-tracing every pixel of the volumetric terrain data.[6]

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Someone should use that to build a really hellish Tricks and Traps, where you constantly think you're back in the starting area...

And then someone should beat it with a pistol start anyways :)

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Woolie Wool posted:

Modes of Destruction has been updated to version 0.4 with two new weapons, an optional HUD based on Blue Shadow's NC HUD, and a whole host of in-game options. Also you can swing a chainsaw like a sword and kill up to nine enemies at once to slake the thirst of the Blood God.

Played a bit of this on BtSX for the first time and it's pretty solid! One thing it does is a personal pet peeve of mine, which is how the recoil doesn't reset the aim back down after firing. Anyone else irrationally annoyed by small stuff like that?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Just make a shortcut to your Doom client of choice and add the filenames afterwards, for example \...\GZDoom.exe thebestmod.pk3 sicklevels.wad ahudorsomeshit.wad

Edit: this only works if you keep your maps & mods in the same folder as the executable

Icept fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 6, 2015

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Doom 3.5 :sigh:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The only thing that looked even remotely promising was that 5 second multiplayer clip where things were moving at more than a brisk saunter.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Was this the thing people raved about at Quakecon?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Once again it's up to the modders to wrestle a Bethesda title back from the brink of unplayable garbage.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

The gibs look more satisfying than the stuff in the actual Doom 4 reveal trailer.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

hey I heard you thought maybe the game was too slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elA4kE_lkiQ

also which one of you made this?

It's sort of sad but this looks like a way better game to me :gbsmith:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Sure, we can get along, I don't care how you play Quake you know...

But if I catch you trying to sneak in some UT99 we're going to have words

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I think Quake did it to give people a chance to get used to the controls before they were confronted with enemies. Things like having to jump to select Hard made sure you knew it was actually possible to jump, unlike Doom. It's sort of a precursor to the Half-Life tram ride.

Also I'll take it any day over 10 minutes of unskippable tutorials on how to duck.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
hosed around a bit with Project Brutality and it seems like a pretty fun addition, but for some reason there's a camera / viewport tilt when you strafe that isn't present in base gzdoom or Brutal Doom v20... the documentation and menus don't have anything related to it as far as I can see, anyone know if there's a cvar that toggles it?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Geight posted:

Yes, that is my opinion of the alpha.

My opinion is similar to your opinion (on the alpha (of DOOM(4)))

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I'm glad Doom 4 is no longer Pissville: The Pissening but I'm still reluctant on the gameplay. Oh well let's hope it's fun for at least a run through.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
JOs multiplayer was extremely sweet, especially because it mixed the FPS crowd, the third person melee crowd and the Star Wars geek crowd. In each of these small subcommunities, you'd have people who took themselves way too seriously, which was where the fun started. I remember joining this DM server with two friends where we'd picked the same skin so we could spot each other, and levelled Force Grip all the way up to max. When one of the noble Bespin residents tried to hunt one of us down, the others would Force Grip him behind a pillar or ledge until the spell timed out and then another would take over and reposition them behind an obstacle until they died. The amount of nerd rage this generated from these people was nothing short of amazing, you'd have people switching skins to match and try to avoid the Grip, or try and organize the rest of the server to band together against the nefarious dark side.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Some time ago I asked whether it was possible to disable the camera roll / tilt on strafe in Project Brutality. It turns out it is, and as I guessed doing so fixes the small super annoying stutters that happens when you strafe ie. all the time. If this is annoying you, open the projectbrutality.pk3 with 7zip or WinRAR or something, and edit the LOADACS file. Find the strafetilting line (should be line 17) and comment it out.

Thanks to some guy on the ModDB project page comments, would have been nice with a proper forum but oh well that's the fix.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

All this Quake model chat reminds me of ATI Truform.

Anyone remember Truform? :allears:

Not pictured: Truform turned all the way up, causing straight lines to bulge outwards, making the silencers in CS look like cartoon cigars.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I'm making my first Doom map ever for Dump 3 :ohdear:

I'm constantly in a place between "oh this might be pretty fun" and "nobody will touch this you moron"

Basically I'm just trying to keep it small so even if it's a horrible abomination at least it'll be over quick :v:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Gonna be upset if the multiplayer is farmed out to some C-list developer that even the Halo and CoD people think are bad.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Hi I've been procrastinating to an absurd degree instead of working on my map and I'll have to grind it out just before deadline.

The only thing I've got for you is this

my.mixtape.moe/ooglgv.mp4

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

TerminusEst13 posted:

The deadline has been extended to the 20th. Just posted on 4ch and ZDoom, so I'll repost it here.

Oh man that's nice, I just started to get a good flow going with gzdoom builder.

The burger looks SSG tier at least, good on ya.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Hi guys I'm more or less done with my DUMP3 map, if any of you have time to give it a quick spin I'd appreciate it.

Here's the link. Edit: Uploaded the file before I touched it in SLADE, might be less hosed.

I tried to add some music with SLADE. Importing the file, HighVolt.mid, then creating a MapInfo entry that looks like this:

map (MAP01) "CLOVERHOUSE"
{
next = "EndGame1"
music = "HighVolt.mid"
}

But none of this seems to work. I'm probably not adding the entry the right way, I'm guessing. Also I can't seem to get it to load directly into the map when setting it first in the ZDL load order, I have to type "open clvrhaus.wad" in gzdoom. This is probably noob poo poo 101 but if you know how to get it working that'd be nice :)

Actual map stuff:
First map ever, difficulty / pacing / gameplay might feel off, but should be sorta okay.

Icept fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 19, 2016

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Uh, I sorta had it in my gzdoom folder and typed "open clvrhaus.wad" in the console when running gzdoom. I don't know why it wont open per default when setting the wad as a command line argument for the program.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Icept posted:

Hi guys I'm more or less done with my DUMP3 map, if any of you have time to give it a quick spin I'd appreciate it.

Here's the link. Edit: Uploaded the original file before I touched it in SLADE, might be less hosed.

snip

Also I can't seem to get it to load directly into the map when setting it first in the ZDL load order, I have to type "open clvrhaus.wad" in gzdooms console. This is probably noob poo poo 101 but if you know how to get it working that'd be nice :)

Actual map stuff:
First map ever, difficulty / pacing / gameplay might feel off, but should be sorta okay.

I reuploaded the map since it wouldn't open in gzdoom builder after messing with it in SLADE.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Actually it was a horribly tinny midi rendition of Danger! High Voltage by Electric Six but any music is good :)

Appreciate all the feedback and I can't disagree on any of the points. Will try to incorporate as much as possible before submitting it.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I... don't really know, I think it's a remnant of some really early draft :v:

You're probably right it should just be a hallway.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Cat Mattress posted:

If it's a wad file, the extension will not be kept (lumps don't have extensions), so music should be just HIGHVOLT.

Also, make triple-sure that you don't put your MAPINFO and music lumps between CLVRHAUS and ENDMAP. They should be before or after, but not between.

I had another go at it but it doesn't really seem to want to eat the MapInfo that I feed it, when I finish the map it says Unnamed but I can't tell if that's supposed to be defined here in MapInfo or somewhere else.

On the other hand, I got the music working by having the music lump present and having a tiny OPEN script that has a SetMusic("HIGHVOLT"); line. The midi quality even worse than I first thought :getin:

Also thanks for the help everyone!

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Oh apparently you need to point your MapInfo at what the map is called in the .wad

Turns out you need to not be dumb to get stuff to work.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Combo-postin' like it ain't no thang

OK guys, sorry for all the pissing around with console commands, here's a revised version with some (most?) of the feedback incorporated. You should be able to just drag and drop that on your .exe of choice and it should go to the map when you select your difficulty.

Christ I need to look for another soundtrack.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

LogicalFallacy posted:

Sup guys! Version 2 of my map is done.

Changes include:
Lighting tweaks in various areas.
Retexturing work in the previously declared "WIP" areas.
A few additional traps to keep things interesting.
Aesthetic fixes in some of the most egregiously "boxy" rooms.
Final encounter 'slightly' tweaked to make it more "chaotic," as requested.

Let me know if there's anything that could still use work and/or any massive mistakes I missed. I actually had to take a break from typing this to fix one thing that I had forgotten, so I wouldn't be remotely surprised to learn that there are more.

I really like the pace you can get going on this map. Is the room-over-room stuff difficult to do?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Humans Among Us posted:

My entry for DUMP3 is pretty much 'done'. One thing still eludes me tho, how do i tag a sector as a secret?

You can find it under Effects -> Generalized Effects in the sector properties.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Temin_Dump posted:

Hey there. I made a wad for DUMP 3 As well. I posted it on the ZDoom forums, but I figured I should put it here as well.

Requires cc4-tex.wad and duke-tex.wad(From realm667)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ge6ikxnb38zw2ga/a%20night%20at%20the%20opera.zip?dl=1

Also, dumb question, was I supposed to include the custom textures in the wad myself?

Really cool experience and the main stage and draw of the curtain were inspired. I'm couldn't really tell if I was meant to be jumping a lot, it seems like a lot of the pickups are on raised surfaces that require jumps but I also managed to finish without the yellow skull, but I think those doors were meant to be exits only or at least secondary to the blue skull ones. Good map!

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The scale of the map is crazy in a good way. I had fun playing it and also enjoyed the almost MAP01 chainsaw secret. I really enjoyed the secret super shotgun on the "church" but I think I got the regular one immediately afterwards. Also, was teleporting out onto the bridge meant to be a secret? I thought you had to go that way to get the yellow skull but maybe I did something in a weird sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Is the chicken wearing Doom Marine armor???