Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacDee
Nov 13, 2005

Now in Heath flavor.

catlord posted:

Strange Aeons Review
Thanks a ton for the detailed feedback! Didn't expect to get any on SA. The current build is sort of a public beta, so I'm still polishing it where I can before it goes up on idgames and ModDB.

Oddly enough I'm having a hell of a time remembering which level required you to shoot a pillar. It must be E4M4, which I've replaced with a switch since your post came to my attention. I'll see what I can do about polishing E4 some more, since it's obviously the newest of the four and is still in first draft condition. If it begins to seem unsalvageable, I'll leave it out of the final release.

The Lightning Gun can really tip the balance of the game, so it can only be found on the secret levels, usually in a hidden area.

MacDee fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacDee
Nov 13, 2005

Now in Heath flavor.

catlord posted:

Just checked, yeah, it's E4M4. I think the main problem with E4 is more that it's got a few small problems that add up rather than just being unsalvagable. The only one I feel like could use any real reworking is E4M7, the long walkways just don't feel like they work with hitscanners and it's surprisingly easy to get lost while running it. I did like finding the dead Elder Thing though! Most of the levels just need to push you forward a little bit more, I think, to help them flow a little better. Honestly, I think my biggest single complaint would be the Nightmares and Star Vampires, their relative toughness (Nightmares take at least 2 shots from the shotgun on HMP), their invisibility/invincibility and the surprisingly high damage. There were too many areas where I knew there was a Nightmare or Star Vampire and I was just running back and forth trying to bait them into appearing, but hopefully not getting stuck and getting eaten. The boss of E4 has a similar problem, but it's a little hard to complain too much since he is the final boss. I also don't feel too bad about missing the Lightning Gun, I'm not great at finding secrets anyway.

I hope the review didn't seem too harsh though, like I said, I liked a lot of it, and I like that you had moving levels a lot, I'm definitely looking forward to a completed version.

I wouldnt accept anything less than honest criticism, so don't worry about it. I'm a bit iffy about e4m7 as it is (it's already basically a placeholder map) and might replace it with another map made from scratch. I made a habit of making the nightmares and star vampires relatively rare, so the player wouldn't keep running into large groups throughout. Seems like the most a player can deal with at one time is about four, and only on rare occasions, so i tried to keep them around that number. Six or more gets really annoying even for me, and i'm known for being kind of anal retentive. Hoping the 3.5 build solves most of the problems presented here, since my main goal is atmosphere and fun, not annoying busywork. Whatever changes I make, I'll be sure to keep the Mountains of Madness reference.

The Kins posted:

a lame Windows 3.1 motion comic adaption of Puppet Master III.
If they had made a proper game of Puppet Master III in the 90's i would've poo poo my pants.

MacDee fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 5, 2015

MacDee
Nov 13, 2005

Now in Heath flavor.
Heh, even I can't handle the nightmares in e2M7. I think in one playthrough I accidentally triggered them and died literally two seconds later. They covered all eight directions and hit me simultanously for a one hit kill. I managed to kill them all once, but only with the mutant sphere.

MacDee fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 5, 2015

MacDee
Nov 13, 2005

Now in Heath flavor.
Yeah, it didn't even occur to me to throw in a few corpses as foreshadowing for some reason. It's too bad UDMF Doom format doesn't really allow for the player to close doors at will, although it's possible I just haven't figured it out yet.