Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

gently caress show watchers. Suffer every year wondering when Dany will get to Westeros. Anxiously await everything, you illiterate nincompoops.

I have run out of "poops" for this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

That was most surely the aftermath of the battle of the fist of the first men..

I expect a certain amount of rage from book jihadists due to the lack of Fist scenes.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Book jihadists, is it? Well, I hadn't realized some of us had declared a fatwa upon an infidel series which omits cool poo poo. Inshallah, later episodes will be as boss as the Prophet himself.

Yeah. Jihadists. Goddamn motherfucking straight. Somewhere in a darkened corner of a Warhammer game room, a greasy knot of fanatics dream of taking hostages until the show creators deconstruct the Westerling burrito. Perhaps I shouldn’t paint them with such a broad brush: once their demands are met, maybe they still blow the roof. It’s all about what’s in the basement.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Stargate posted:

This is the really baffling one. Dany's eyebrows are a serious immersion breaker :saddowns:

I don't understand why they didn't shave them off and donate those flowing tresses to Locks of Love.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Roughly rasping char.
Come into my castle deep ...
Now shimmers tummy.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Whatever the show runners decide with offing Joff, they better get a move on with the series. Chop-chop, fellas. GRRM is coming on like a freight train. A quarter through TWOW as of last month and chug chug chugging along.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

The Mutato posted:

I can't wait until the show takes over the books. Then we will be the babby thread, and I get to complain to rarity about showwatchers posting Rozzy lemoncake spoilers. :smug:

That's why I'm getting my rocks off now while the getting's good. Book readers are one willy-sepsis event away from going back to second-guessing Miss Manners over breakfast.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Urdnot Fire posted:

Just like the jets of flame in the Dracarys scene, geysers of poo poo will erupt behind her as triumphant music blares.

Coupled with the pioneering filming technique "glands flare", GoT becomes a force of nature during awards season.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Having Hodor motor around with Walt in a forklift would really ...

Never mind. I've gone off track.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

elmer fud posted:

That's cute. You think it'll be finished by 2030.

Such a Debbie Downer. He's already a quarter of the way through. Even if modern medicine is unable to unnaturally prolong GRRM's life, I'm excited to see what direction Robert Stanek takes this franchise.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
I dunno. Galaga is fun.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

syscall girl posted:

There hasn't been a lot of print material to discuss.

The new Dunk and Egg is coming out in the Dangerous Women anthology. Oh, wait, never mind. Well, there's the ASOIAF encyclopedia in October, which contains some brand-new ... oh. Dammit.

Good news: my family is getting sick of remaindered Far Side desk calenders in their stockings and the new Tyrion quote book is coming out in time for Christmas. So I've got that going for me.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Gimmedaroot posted:

Why does GRRM associate with such an awful person? There has to be scores ofslightly more tolerable GRRM nerds who know as much about ASOIAF as she does, and some GRRM may even get to creep at his leisure?

The doctor is in.

She got in on the ground floor. Like the sports superstars with their leeching entourages, GRRM doesn't want to appear like he's forgotten his roots. Or, possibly, she says the things he wish he could say, but can't.

That'll be five cents, please.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Jerkface posted:

ADWD stuff by season 4?

God willing and the creek don't rise. If they can cram enough AFFC/ADWD into next season, maybe HBO wraps up those beauties in season five. They could be writing ADOS in three years.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

You almost had me forever and no one else's. Almost. Still, I'm rooting for you, cowboy.

"Leal With It"

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

A road trip with the American Tollking? Whoever forgets to chip in for gas will find themselves riding the hump in the back seat.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Just one more trope GRRM has flipped upside down!

Natch. How else is he going to toss the trope's salad? Just when you think he's peaked with fat pink mast, he gives readers the Myrish swamp. Before fans can fully process that wonder, he blindsides us with Reek's devil's tricycle.

I expect the bar will be set even higher in TWOW.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Oh, for gently caress's sake. I completely forgot about the sticky princes. I tried a reread of AFFC when ADWD came out and couldn't get past 100 pages. Can't wait to see D&D adapt that little passage. Oh, wait, they won't: they're pervy, just not GRRM-pervy.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Contra Calculus posted:

Oh goddammit, if it was one of you assholes in here, you're doing it wrong.

We're supposed to be watching and laughing at the babbies in the thread who are in shock AS Robb and Cat are being murdered, you dumb fucks. That's what makes it fun.

I joined up primarily to watch the reaction to the Red Wedding. And yet, I'm still laughing.

No regrets.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Nope, Leaf says "They killed him long ago", that's all she says, in response to Bran being concerned about the wights killing Coldhands.

Benjen warged into a wight, maybe? Just throwing poo poo against the wall and seeing if anything GRRMs.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
10 months of agony waiting for the next installment? My stars! 10 months ... sounds like hell. It really does.

gently caress that poo poo.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Nothus posted:

It's better if you think of the series as a 17 year long performance art piece.

Improvisational jazz: it's the words you don't read that are most important.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

nuncle jimbo posted:

I agree plot and taste are important

Truth. GRRM is not only shattering the fantasy mold, but the entire publishing industry. He has prepared for those with ears that hear to not rely on trivialities like "paper" and "words". Upon the appointed date, fans will take their places in Barnes and Noble cafes and sit in quiet reflection as the wonder of Westeros unfolds in their imaginations.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Fargo Fukes posted:

As much as this is the Bad Thread and we shouldn't say poo poo like this, you haven't read nearly enough middling authors if you're calling GRRM a middling author. He is Genuinely Very Good At Writing. Whether he can plot and pace as well as his ambition demands is up for debate but he's been at his craft a long time and it shows.

Meh. He's OK. I'm looking at my bookshelf and I wouldn't put GRRM above most of them in terms of craft; and there's some real dogs in my collection. Sure, he's written a number of exceptional passages, but any competent author is going to come up with some gems if allowed to churn out a kajillion pages. Monkeys and typewriters.

He had a great story, poo poo got tough, and he punted.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

George R R Martin is not your bitch. and I can thoroughly enjoy what he's made while understanding fully that it's his right to just say "gently caress all of you" and stop writing if he wants to. I'm astounded how loving whiney this thread is.

Did I get black-out drunk and wake up in a Goodreads discussion thread?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Holy poo poo. I totally did.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I would have liked some more foreshadowing but at the same time I liked that it made it possible fory Daenerys to horribly gently caress up/get murdered/etc in a more interesting way then "Oh jeeze she'll pull it together and save the day in Westeros."

Ain't no law that says Dany has to return to Westeros. In fact, I think that might actually be interesting. Certainly will be a surprise after reading about Bran/Hodor getting down with the Reed girl. That's totally happening.

Chekov's Gun, meet Hodor's Massive Cock.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Not My Goodies posted:

Why would you read Ender's Game at your advanced age when there are actual books you could be reading? I hope you didn't spend any money on it. The author is a massive horrible shithead and the books are pretty bad. I would suck the poo poo out of GURM's dick before I gave OSC a dime of my money or any kind of positive attention whatsoever.

If you've already seen the trailer to the movie then the ending has been spoiled for you. Put it down.

Here's the best line:

-Actual dialogue from Hugo Award Winning novel Ender's Game.

Don't forget to cup his balls because, after reading that quote, Ender's Game is now on my "to read" list.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Not My Goodies posted:

Did you really pull that quote for your avatar just now?

Looks that way, doesn't it? Say what you want about OSC (and I won't say anything as I've never read him), that quote inspired me to flush five bucks down the shitter.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Looking forward to seeing Dany in Call of Dootie: Black Plops.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

syscall girl posted:

The barrier was not meant to be crossed. The ground is sour.

First I play with mommy, and mommy came. And I play with mommy some more! We play with daddy, we had an awful good time! Now, I want to play with you...

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Thinking about selling the house and buying five minutes among the horsey set if only to name my entry Dude Henry I Don't Know to honor the illiterates.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Fog Tripper posted:

What is Littlefinger's motivation to pin the attempted Bran stabby stabby on Tyrion?

He asked too many questions!

Where do whores go where do whores go where do whores go where so whores go where do whores go where do whores go where do whores go where so whores go where do whores go where do whores go where do whores go where so whores go where do whores go where do whores go where do whores go where so whores go
where do whores go where do whores go where do whores go where so whores go...

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

GodFish posted:

A bit too late for it now, but I wonder if the series would read better if it didn't have any of the Dany chapters, and you just heard the same rumors along with the characters hear them until she finally (never) lands in Westeros completely power mad with three dragons and a giant slave army ready to take back her kingdom. Maybe publish her chapters later in several novellas "Khalessi" "Mother of Dragons" "Breaker of Chains" "Shitter of Fields" so you can see her descent into madness first hand.

What a great idea. Unfortunately, GRRM believes his imagination is the only one worth having. So we get inventory, menus, travelogues and heraldry. But not the rules of cyvasse*, because that would be too taxing for the editor of Wild Cards.

*I don't give a flying gently caress about how cyvasse is played.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Azure_Horizon posted:

I don't think so. In this, GRRM is right. The whole point of the sharp sword edges all around was to make sure that whoever sat upon the throne was the right ruler. And each ruler that has been cut by the swords has proven to be wrong for the kingdom, which is why Joffrey kept slicing himself open on it.

Make way for Queen Shireen: her greyscale is her mandate.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Azure_Horizon posted:

QUEEN SHIREEN sounds like a pretty good band name. Maybe disco revival?

Dammit. Now I can't get The Girl from Ipanema out of my head. That song is sooooooo Meereen Teen Queen Shireen.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You know nothing, Jon Madden.

Here comes Eye Greet up the middle. Look at her splitting the defen ... BOOM! Wow! That hit came out of nowhere. That DB gets an aurochs leg. Fellas, show that aurochs again for the people at home, wouldja? Good thing we're up in the booth, right, Al? I could use some of that right now. Stretcher coming out for Eee Grit. This doesn't look good.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Strayed too far from the source material for me: Sansa doesn't have a stomach, she has a tummy.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Where's the extended version? Gaiman flubbed his line; after the routine ends, Martin swats him on the snout with a rolled-up copy of the Skin Trade. Gaiman immediately goes into a submissive pose and piddles a little bit. Too bad, really. The judges were really impressed with the act to that point. Maybe they can make up for it on the obstacle course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

If ever there was a man who could rape a woman with his eyes...

If ever there was a man who could write about squishy ben wa balls, it would be GRRM.