Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Anybody try installing Bootcamp with Lion yet? I'm curious how you're supposed to mount it in Windows without physical media. I know there are work-arounds to burn it, but I have to think Apple has figured out a smooth way. Can you see the recovery partition in Windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Anybody here work with Macs in a corporate, Windows environment? I've always used Macs at home and PCs at work, but they just bought me a Mac Pro to play with at the office because they're thinking about buying a bunch more for some of the marketing staff.

They likely won't be buying an OS X server, so what are my options for integrating these things into active directory, and locking them down a bit and whatnot? Googling gives me a ton of options, so I was hoping for some direction on what to look at first. We've got about 1500 PCs and probably won't have more than about 30 Macs, all Pros probably. Domain controllers are server 2003.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

mayodreams posted:

Late on this, but I am a Mac admin at a university explicitly doing what you are talking about. I have around 50 'lab' Macs that I manage in a Server 2003 AD environment. You basically have two options: OS X Server or BeyondTrust (Likewise). Technically, we use both, but I know that AD is better in SL and Lion than it was in Leopard, but I have found that Likewise is more reliable long term than Apple's plugin.

BeyondTrust allows you to manage Mac policy from within a complete Windows environment by using a snap in console that you point Apple's Server Tools (namely Workgroup Manager) to as a 'fake' Mac OS X Open Directory Server.

The other option is to just setup a Mac (a mini server is perfect for this) as an OD master and do the policy that way. Both methods still allow for AD authentication, but I have found the OSX Server method to be better for managing policy.

Feel free to PM if you don't want to really go off topic in the thread.
That's a big help, thanks! I'll start there, and I may shoot you some questions once I've had a chance to dig a little deeper. I appreciate it!

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Epic Fail Guy posted:

What is the best program to convert files so they play on my Apple TV? I currently use SmartConverter which is easy and fast, but it doesn't let me do batch conversion.
I've been using iVI and it works great. It does batches, and has some great automation options for folder monitoring and whatnot.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've got an older Mac Mini that runs headless as a media server. I've been using LogMeIn to manage it from my PC and my iPad, and it works fine but it's pretty slow. I was hoping to use Splashtop since I've heard it's much faster, but after getting it all setup I find out that Splashtop currently doesn't support headless and fails to connect unless you've got a monitor hooked up. Is there anyway to 'trick' the mini into thinking a monitor is actually connected? Or is there a better alternative remote-desktop app that's fast and multiplatform?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Lexicon posted:

Any recommendations for a Lion compatible FrontRow/XBMC like app that can be opened and controlled with the Apple remote, and comes with a decent set of codecs? I haven't tried XBMC lately, but last time I did, it seemed hideously convoluted, and it was inordinately annoying to add an external drive as a media source. I want something as basic as possible.
Have you tried Plex?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Mithra6 posted:

I'm running Lion, and I'm trying to find an app that can display folder sizes for whole computer. I know Windows has an app called Tree Size, and would like something like that for Mac.

My drive is getting full, and I'm curious if there are some folders I'm not thinking of that I could clean out.
DaisyDisk is on the App Store and it's great, but not free. Great UI, and it made my life a lot easier living with 64GB in an Air.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I just installed Mavericks on a fresh DIY Fusion Drive in my Mac mini. Works great, but now I'm reading that I should have installed Mavericks before making the Fusion drive (and then clone the boot partition on to it) in order to keep the recovery partition separate from the conjoined Fusion drive. Is there any reason I should start over and do it that way? I'm thinking it doesn't really make any difference unless somehow the Fusion pairing fails, in which case I can still do a web recovery right?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I have an SD card that seems to be dying. I can see the photo thumbnails in Finder and in the iPhoto import dialog, but when I try and copy or import the photos about half of them fail. Are there any recovery tools that are actually worthwhile? Or any dd-like terminal jiggery-pokery I can do?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Choadmaster posted:

Try it in a different card reader on a different computer first. This (as little sense as it makes) solves my occasional can't-read-from-card problems 100% of the time. (And it's not just my reader - my roommate has to use mine instead of his occasionally for the same reasons. It is a mystery...)
This totally worked. I am mystified by it, but thanks for the suggestion! I probably never would have even tried that.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I just got a call from my dad that he deleted all his emails thinking he was real smart since 'they were still in the cloud' but I guess he'd been pulling them all down locally. As I understand it he deleted them all through mail.app and then emptied the recycle bin.

What's my best bet for recovery software? I'm okay paying for it.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks everybody for the recovery tips! The best part is I set my dad up with an external drive for Time Machine but he didn't keep it connected after the initial sync... a year ago.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hey, is there a way to embed Apple Photos metadata into the photos themselves? My sister made a bunch of albums in Photos but she wants to move away from Photos as her primary means of organizing without actually losing the effort that went into creating the albums. I was thinking if there was a way to tag each photo with the album title, that might be a way to keep the organization.

[Edit] My first thought was using something like this to just select the albums and then manually add the keywords, I think that might work? but I was wondering if there was something less manual.

ephori fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 2, 2018

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
She wants to try out Google Photos as a backup, since she's already paying for Drive, but without losing her meticulously organized albums. My thinking is if the album titles are in the EXIF data, Google Photos can search by it and she can quickly re-make the same albums.

Exiftool would give me the automation I'm looking for if it had a way to identify which albums the photos were in... not sure if there's a way to surface that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Ahh.. I missed that with the export. That makes sense. Thanks!