Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
Just to confirm - I can't download Lion yet can I? When it's available I guess it'll be the featured app on the App Store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Just bit the bullet on Fusion over Parallels. I like that the VMs I make will be compatible with ESX server as well as Workstation on Windows/Linux. That's worth the premium to me. If I didn't have different platforms to worry about I'd probably just ditch for Parallels though.

Why do you say premium? isn't Parallels more expensive than fusion? (Parallels upgrade: £35, Fusion (including 10% off): £25)

EDIT: I see VMWare -> Parallels is £20.

Heisenberg1276 fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 16, 2011

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

pipebomb posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for a task/project manager with an iOS companion app? I have a Things (http://itunes.apple.com/app/things/id407951449?mt=12) for Mac license, but don't want to shell out $40 more for the iOS apps.

Nested projects with tasks, alerts, etc. would be nice.

I was going to recommend FireTask but since you don't want to spend $40 for the iOS apps $40 + $10 + $6 probably won't do much for you.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Any recommendations for working with Latex in OSX? I've never used it before and need to learn for a project.

Just to put another suggestion here - as an editor I find Latexian to be much better than TextMate. The live preview is great.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

surrender posted:

Probably a dumb question, but it's tough to find answers with Google: is there a way to use a program other than TextEdit when I run "open -e 'filename'" in the Terminal? I'd like to use Sublime Text 2 as my default.

On a side note, I'm getting into Ruby/RoR right now, and Sublime is pretty swank. Any other editors I should consider? I'm coding for fun, so I don't care about wasting time to try other stuff

You could do it with http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/2/osx_command_line.html which would give you "subl filename".

As for other editors, check out BBEdit or TextMate. My preference is Sublime Text though.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

What options are there for apps that organize Terminal/iTerm windows?

At any given time I have about 10 open, as I do web development. I usually have a Rails log open on my machine, a Rails console on my machine, 2-3 just regular terminal windows open on my machine, then 2 into the main production server, 1 in a staging server, 2 in cloud servers, and then maybe an IRC window or something.

First I thought I would find or make something that tiles them - but I always have them in different font sizes and window sizes so that makes no sense. I might have some massive window open for vim, like 180x70, then I might have a 250x15 window open to watch Apache/mail logs, and then I have 90x30 windows open for 'regular' stuff.

I tried using tabs but that doesn't work for me because it makes all the windows the same size, and I can only see one window at a time, and I have to play whack-a-mole to find the one I want.

Have you tried CMD+D/CMD+SHIFT+D in iTerm?

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Arivia posted:

It might be that all updated apps need to be sandboxed. Like my diary application was sandboxed in the last update. Why would you sandbox a diary app?! For pretty good reasons, seeing as one of its selling points is cloud integration.

Even a calculator or something should be sandboxed. Since unsandboxed apps have access to everything, a virus could target it to compromise the system. If a virus takes control of a sandboxed calculator it can't do much bad stuff except make your numbers add up incorrectly. Whether it uses iCloud or not shouldn't really matter (except that one of the deals with using iCloud is that you must sandbox your app)

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

That's the way it was designed to be used. If you have a big monitor run your apps on the big screen.

Then it was designed poorly. This is a fairly common complaint and I can't believe you're arguing it's reasonable.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any solutions to it except to not use fullscreen.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Harley C posted:

Hi everyone!
So I just bought a macbook and I was wondering if there is a way to have a automatic folder sync through local wifi between my music folder on my pc and my music folder on the mac laptop. I intend to use the macbook solely for uni and djing but I still use my main computer to download music so I was looking to minimize the hassle of this. I've been scouring the internet for a few hours but I haven't really found anything that looks promising, just a whole lot of cloud services which I'm not interested in. Sorry if this isn't the appropriate thread or if I've missed this question being asked 9999x in the thread already.
Thanks!

BitTorrent Sync (http://www.bittorrent.com/sync) would be perfect for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

tuyop posted:

The appletv is apple's home automation hub if you want to do lights and stuff. If you just want to look up sportsball or something buy an iPhone 7 and just shout "Hey Siri" at it. If you have the ATV and $600 lightbulbs, you can shout "Hey Siri dim lightbulb DX-12_living_room\fxGLR.office" and you will be in the future after two or three attempts!

I was at my dad's house at the weekend and he just got an Echo. It's night and day difference to using Siri.

When Alexa misunderstood something it was actually surprising, rather than expected.

I hope Apple do something with Siri because they're really falling behind here.