Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Dick Trauma posted:

I can't remember who told me that doing the internet OS reinstall would restore my MBP to the out of the box state, but that person was wrong. I expect I have to wipe the drive completely and reinstall to try and unfuck the crappy migration from my old laptop.

An internet reinstall will give you a fresh install granted you wipe the drive using disk util after boot and before running the OS installer, but not automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

rpop posted:

This is a long shot, but anyone know of a way to make OS X request admin password when anything/anyone attempts a restart/shutdown/logout?

Quick and dirty way is to create a non admin account, enable fast user switching, and leave that user logged in. Trying to restart while another user is logged in requires an admin password.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Astro7x posted:

So is there any fix for if you use Gmail and Mail on Mavericks that it's showing that you have unread emails when they are all read? I am reading about it everywhere, no fix that I can find.

I had an issue with the iOS version of Gmail telling me I had unread messages, and it turned out it I had some Gchat logs that Google somehow marked as unread and that counted towards the unread tally. I am using 3 Gmail address in Mail on Mavericks and haven't seen that issue though.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Anmitzcuaca posted:

I guess this goes here since OS X appears to be the culprit:

I did a clean install of 10.9 (13A603) today and now I can't back up with Time Machine.

I get the following error:

code:
5/11/2013 1:47:31.213 pm com.apple.backupd[381]: Not starting automatic Time Machine backup: System clock is wrong.
 5/11/2013 1:47:31.272 pm com.apple.backupd[381]: Backup failed with error 33: 33
And this message in the Time Machine application: "Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup: The system date and time is incorrect."

I'm trying to back up to a Time Capsule with the current firmware. The clock on my Mac is set automatically, as is the one on the TC. Both are set to the same time zone.

I have reset PRAM and SMC, tried erasing the TC drive and nothing seems to work. I don't know what to try next.

Try completely resetting the TimeMachine prefs:

http://pondini.org/TM/A4.html

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

the_lion posted:

Thinking about running a VPN on my ol' mac mini core duo for safer interwebs on my iMac late 2012.

What are my options, and is a waste of time/digging myself too deep?

Both are running Mavericks, if that helps. I know nothing about this stuff really.
The mac mini could run any osx from 10.6.8 - 10.9 if it had to and it made a difference.

Unless you are trying to access your iMac remotely in a more secure manner, VPN is not what you are looking for.

If you are, Mac OS X Server ($20 app now) is an easy way to set up VPN access to your network.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

empty baggie posted:

Keep in mind Server does not currently work in Mavericks and from what I can tell has been pulled from the app store.

I have it running on Mavericks for a DeployStudio imaging setup. I can't speak to VPN, but Netboot/nfs/afp work.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Binary Badger posted:

So it looks like the Migration Assistant update is an update to make Mac users/techs lives harder, because it makes disk images impossible to use.

When you run MA, as soon as it gets to the part where it asks you if you want to restore from another machine on the network or a local disk, it immediately dismounts all disk images. Try to mount them again, as long as MA is running they get booted off.

If anyone has run the 'new' Migration Assistant update and has been able to directly use a disk image to restore from WITHOUT having to restore it to a blank disk/partition please let me know so I know I'm not crazy.

I went through the same thing a few weeks ago and came up empty. I had to restore to a fast USB3 drive and then migrate again. I have NO idea why they would take the image source away. :argh:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

empty baggie posted:

I see now. I was running 2.2.2, and I guess 3 is a paid upgrade?

That's a good question. I am in the Dev Program so I don't know first hand because it just magically appears.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I tried netatalk with a Centos/Ubuntu VM earlier this year and it was a huge pain in the rear end, and was not very reliable. It would work for a few weeks and then give the dreaded 'could not be verified' error and you would have to start over.

I switched my SAN/NAS platform from Nexenta Community to FreeNAS, and its TimeMachine implementation has been rock solid for 2 machines for around 7 months now.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Shaocaholica posted:

Whats a reliable zip archiver? Seems like whenever someone sends me something zipped from OS X its corrupt. Granted these are typically huge archives (10G+) but I've never had persistent issues like this with 7z and p7z.

I use Keka from the App Store for 7z. It's a couple of bucks, but is really easy to use and updated.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Oh, I should give this a try first. Does doing this affect battery life significantly?

Edit: Also is there any software for Win8 that would replicate the functionality of different "spaces" or whatever they are called and three-finger swiping?

I used Dexpot on Win7/8 on my old work laptop. I had to hack some stuff in the registry to get it to mimic my favorite keyboard shortcuts on the Mac, but it worked well.

http://dexpot.de/?lang=en

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Ashex posted:

The last couple days I discovered that my laptop is resetting it's hostname and it's really confusing me. From what I can tell it's happening at work and the hostnames match the naming convention of the windows laptops. Does anyone know how this would happen? Nothing is connecting and resetting it, it just randomly happens.

I use both wireless and gigabit thunderbolt for connecting.

Update: As I suspected it has to do with DHCP, OSX does something backwards and retrieves the hostname from DHCP. Looks like the way to do it on ML is with scutil?

Yup. Once you do that, it will not look for the name via DHCP anymore. That mess started with SL I think, and I can type that command in my sleep after using it so much to ensure my workstations had the proper hostnames.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Ninja Rope posted:

Any recommendations for VPN software? Should I use tunnelblik or openvpn? Or Shimo? Or should I just bite the bullet and figure out how to set up Ipsec?

I use OpenVPN and love it. They have a ready made virtual appliance too, which makes the setup much easier.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Ninja Rope posted:

What client, though? There's no official OpenVPN binary for OSX. I could build it from source (and then get a tun driver elsewhere?) or do you use tunnelblik/shimo/viscosity?

There is an official OpenVPN client called OpenVPN Connect. It is included with the server install, and once you authenticate to it, your browser will download it.

http://openvpn.net/index.php/access...ent-on-mac.html

There is also an official client for iOS is which awesome too.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

evil_bunnY posted:

Wait macs don't have a native initiator? :laugh:

This has been a sore point for years, and since it does not relate to iPhones or iPads, I sincerely doubt Apple will ever do anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
If you use Xsan, the iSCSI initiator is included, but gently caress you if you don't.

The point is that when Apple killed the Xserve, and started scaling back OS X Server a few years ago, they signaled the path to pushing out enterprise and professional applications and support. Now Apple's mantra is 'we are clearly the best at knowing what you want and how to use it, so gently caress you.' See, Final Cut Pro and to a lesser extent, the new Pages, Keynote, and Numbers 'updates'.

I used to do video/audio engineering at a previous job, and I was fighting an uphill battle to switch to Windows because I saw this poo poo coming down the pike for a while. The 'professional' workstation with zero PCI-E slots and zero CUDA support, is just laughable at this point if you work in the industry. :woz: