Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

El Jackalope posted:

Holy poo poo Mission Control owns owns owns.

On the other hand, I really can't see using launchpad at all;

This is how I feel as well. I don't really get what Launchpad offers that isn't already available through the Application folder. Or by just typing in the name of the program you want to run through the search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm going to just continue to call it Mac like I always have, and most people do. Mavericks is kinda a dumb name, and i'm sad that they ditched the big cats naming scheme finally. They least they could have done was go with puppies. Mac OS X German Shepard.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Probably shouldn't expect a Mavericks release date next week?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

carry on then posted:

If you like your release dates as vague as "coming this fall" then you'll probably get what you want.

Yeah and Apple has already said coming this fall. Does Apple just release their OS without saying anything?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm in love with my 13" MBP and wish I could just marry it. That said, I wanna make a few upgrades to it. Is it possible to dump the DVD drive and replace it with a SSD and leave the 500gb hard drive in there too? I wanna do that and transfer my Mac OS X install over to the SSD.

[edit]This would probably be better in the hardware thread, wouldn't it?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm in love with Mavericks because one of the issues my MacBook Pro had was that it would take a real long time to wake up from sleep mode. That doesn't happen anymore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fookolt posted:

I'm (im)patiently waiting for my new MacBook 13 Retina to arrive next week, but I had a question in the meantime: am I really missing out on a lot by not using Mac OS X's Mail/Contacts/Calendar/Keychain/Messaging applications because I'm already pretty heavily invested in the Google ecosystem (and KeePass)?

I always feel weird about saying no to things :(

I'm heavily invested in the Google ecosystem as well, I don't use any of the Apple apps in fact, and i've been fine. There haven't been any instances where I was like "wow, I sure wish I was using this Apple app instead."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

People just need to stop being retarded and stick to Windows 7 until at least Windows 10 comes out.

Probad posted:

Windows 8 convinced me to switch to a Mac, so it was good for something.

This basically, I needed a laptop and it was impossible at the time to find one still running Win7. Will always be buying Macbook Pros from then on out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Windows 10 comes out in a couple months anyways I thought?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

Duet Display is loving awesome.

Is there a program to do this from my Macbook Pro to my desktop PC? Preferably while using the native screen resolution of my monitor?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I use AirPlay + AirServer at work on occasion. I'll double check if it gives me a native resolution option.

I got AirServer installed, but not sure now how to display my MacBook Pro screen on my PC.

[edit]
Whoops, I figured it out after some more searching. But I can't use the keyboard and mouse on my PC yet while mirroring.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 12, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If your MBP not a newer model that supports AirPlay Mirroring?

edit: Also this won't allow you to control the Mac. It's just leveraging AirPlay to act a second monitor.

Gotcha, I didn't fully understand. This gets pretty close to what I was looking for though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Mac is beach balling all over the place and I don't know what to do or how to fix it. I restarted a couple times and it's still running unusually slow, hanging up constantly and everything is taking forever to start up. I'm on a Samsung SSD with 210GB free. This is the June 2012 13" non-retina Macbook Pro.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Try booting off a USB stick or to the recovery partition?

Using Command+R at boot got me into Internet Recovery. So i'm going through that right now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Recovery mode didn't help, and i'm doing Apple Hardware Test right now. Booted into safe mode earlier, and that didn't help either, the beach ball problem was only slightly less bad in that mode, but my computer was still unusable.

[edit]
Hardware Test didn't find any issues.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay, i'm still having issues and really need help. I'm clueless. I want to bring my Macbook Pro back to its factory default settings, that means going back to OS X Mountain Lion, and then upgrade again back to Yosemite. Apple has a very easy process for doing this through Internet Recovery. The problem is that the Mountain Lion download is painfully slow. I'm looking at 18 hours and 47 minutes right now. Are there any other options available for downloading Mountain Lion and putting it on a USB stick?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

flosofl posted:

Not in a legit way. The only way is through a recovery install or spending $20 in the online Apple Store to have them send you a DVD.

The only other way would be if there was a way to check the Internet for ISOs of dubious provenance. But that's obviously a technology beyond our ken.

I have my previous hard drive still intact with everything on it. So i'll see what I can do with that then.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If the end game is Yosemite, why wouldn't you just do a clean install of 10.10.3?

I don't have a backup of 10.10.3, i'm a dummy, and OSX won't boot. :cripes: I don't even have a partition anymore, it didn't matter OSX was unusable when I was able to boot into it. I just got the beach ball endlessly.

[edit]
I got into my old hard drive that still has everything on it.

[edit 2]
Okaying, Installing Yosemite again on my SSD. I am realizing that after today I badly need another hard drive for a time machine. I want to buy something where ideally I can back up both my Mac and PC to. Recommendations are much appreciated, I have no idea what to do in this area.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 20, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

My money is on your SSD is hosed. In my experience constant random beachballs = dying drive.

That's what i'm starting to lean towards. It's a Samsung 850 Pro. I just got this SSD not even two months ago. :cripes:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

10.10.4 completely hosed my iMac. Had to rollback to 10.10.3. It was a giant beach party.

edit: not clear if that was his problem. but I just got back from the party now.

Everything had been going fine until this morning, when out of the blue while im using my computer, the beach ball shows up and boom my computer becomes unusable.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

Exactly the same thing for me. 10-15-30 second pauses all over the place. Booted into recovery, reinstalled 10.10.3 over the beta I had and everything is back to normal.

EDIT... again: Though my 2013 rMBP is fine.

After I get everything back to working again (hopefully everything will be back to working again), what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

Are you on the beta? Remove yourself from the beta.

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/unenroll

Not sure if I was, so probably not, but this is something to check. What about SSDs in general? Are there any recommended apps for maintaining your drive, or is that not needed?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yep, it's the hard drive, almost certain of it. Can't even install an OS on it. It just hangs up at installing to hard drive. I wonder what happened to make this SSD live such a pitifully short life?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Someone in the SSD thread seems to believe that it's because TRIM doesn't work with 3rd party drives, and therefore SSD's on Mac fill up with useless data to the point of being unusable. I know my SSD isn't completely worthless because Disk Utility see's it. Supposedly though Samsung has their own means of dealing with getting rid of useless data in their drives that does work on Mac, and 1 1/2 months seems like too short of a time for a SSD to go bad even with the lack of TRIM support.

I'm leaning more towards I just got real unlucky with a bad drive. A search on Google, didn't show any panic for the lack of TRIM support, users seem pretty whatever about the whole thing.

If nothing else, I RMA the drive and throw the new one into my Windows machine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nut Bunnies posted:

It may actually be the hard drive cable. The 2012 MBP has a habit of those going belly up.

I threw my old hard drive back in and it's working normally.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Macbook Pro won't update to 10.10.4, it's stuck in an endless loop of asking me to restart to download the update and then giving a pop up saying that available updates have changed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

flosofl posted:

Resetting the PRAM may help, but here's the combo update link if you want to try that instead.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1820?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The update finished, but now i'm stuck loading into the OS after typing in my account password. Update not wanting to install should have been my first clue to just leave it alone. :cripes: The update went fine on my imac last night. I'm installing on a Macbook Air right now too and that's going smoothly so far.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

flosofl posted:

I hate to say it, but Internet install with a Time Machine restore may be your only recourse if the update is in some kind of half-installed state.

All is well now. :) I don't know what was going on there, it was much slower then normal when updating. This is the non-retina 13" MBP and its hard drive is trash and slow, and that's probably why the update was so painfully slow. The imac and macbook air finished their updates with no issues.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The new iTunes logo is just further proof that Tim Cook is out of control. The downfall of Apple is near.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

8ender posted:

Newer versions of Chrome have been single handedly phasing out the 2012 MacBooks at work. Even with an 8gb ram upgrade a sales guy can turn a 2012 Macbook into a smoking crater inside a day.

That is so weird. I wonder why that is happening. It's not for me. My MBP only gets hot if I have it plugged in and that is supposedly normal for a charging battery.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When I bought my iMac from someone, they set the 1TB hard drive into two partition. Is there a way I can combine the two partitions into one without losing everything?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

10.10.4 was the first time I ever had issues updating. My Macbook Pro was a nightmare to update, but the Macbook Air and iMac updated without issue.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I keep reading this as OS 9. :downs:

Can you run OS9 on a virtual machine on Mac? Or is it not compatible because of newer hardware?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay idiot question; I don't want my Mac to take phone calls but I don't know how to turn this off. Searching on Google literally gets me nothing that answers my question. :confused:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't believe it was that simple, thank you! I am a dumb. But yeah, this is on an iPhone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Silly issue, but iMessages on Mac OSX is not showing that it can receive messages from the phone number on my iPhone. Just my gmail and icloud accounts. Is there a way to allow this? Going to iMessages preferences, and looking at how I can be reached, only allows the two mentioned e-mail addresses. iMessages on my phone is allowing just my phone number, even though both addresses and phone number are listed as options where I can be reached at. What is going on? This changed a few days ago, it use to be both with no issues. :confused:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

American McGay posted:

Some super convoluted solution of turning it on and off again, signing out and then in of iMessage on both your phone and your Mac, enabling handoff through messages and hoping your phone number then decides to show up in the list. Good luck.

This worked, I will now kiss you on the lips as a thank you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trying to download Big Sur, but the app store is saying that it's not available for me?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

The moment no one has been waiting for..

:siren: Big Sur Has Been Released, macOS v11.0.1! :siren:

Get it at this App Store link or Software Update:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-big-sur/id1526878132?mt=12

You might get "your requested version of Mac OS is not available" This is a lie, it'll still give you the option to download. I didn't understand that at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Apples servers are getting hammered, I have 1 day left of downloading on this.