Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork.

brc64 posted:

Tangent: How do you "click" a button in a dialog box that isn't the default button? I can tab between them, and highlight one, but pressing Enter seems to just hit the default button. In Windows, I'd use space to press the selected button, but that didn't work for me yesterday.

On Snow Leopard, I seem to recall being able to hit Command+[First Letter of the Button], but that doesn't work on every dialog box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Is there any kind of small piece of software that automatically switches desktop wallpapers at certain times of day? I know OSX has this sort of thing in it by default, but I'd like to set the time when the wallpaper changes myself (ie. switch from a brighter wallpaper to something darker when it's 6pm and back at 6am or something).

This is kind of a silly workaround, but you could set up a folder of wallpapers and set OS X to cycle through them. Since OS X has options for "Change Wallpaper Every Hour" and "Every Day", but not "Every 12 Hours", you could make 12 copies of your brighter wallpaper and 12 copies of your darker wallpaper. Then make sure the "random order" box is unselected, and the wallpapers should appear to change twice a day.

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

Clank posted:

What's a good note taking application? Not just quick notes, but like school notes. Things I would like most are good organization and good formatting options.

Personally, I used Journler for the first semester of law school, then Pages, and finally settled on Omni Outliner Pro. It depends if you like having a database of files, or a series of paragraphs, or a flexible outline. I recommend OOP because I really like thinking in outline form.

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

Yeah, we tried rEFIt, along two different ways of getting the USB stick ready with the Windows install, and both just result in the message "no bootable device detected" (paraphrased, I don't remember the exact wording).

The first way we tried was from the link I gave; we made a Windows install disk out of the USB drive via some windows tool in one of my Windows VMs. Like I said, no worky. The second time, I did more googling as to why the gently caress Boot Camp Assistant wouldnt make a USB boot key for us, and discovered it only works on newer macs that have shipped without an optical drive like the newer Airs and he latest Mac Mini as the poster a bit above discovered (wouldn't want to make it too easy for the rest of us).

It just so happens I have one of those minis, so I was able to create a proper USB install disk using Boot Camp Assistant on the mini. However, that flash drive wouldn't boot the (latest gen!) MacBook Pro at all, not even with rEFIt as I said earlier. My mini boots off it just fine... We actually tried putting the laptop into target disk mode and connecting it to the mini, but Windows refuses to install to a FireWire-connected drive even though it sees it just fine!

So now we're back to square one, with no apparent way whatsoever to get this poo poo installed on the laptop short of physically opening it up and swapping drives around. It's loving ridiculous.

I'm tempted to try to clone one of my Windows VMs onto the Boot Camp partition. Does anyone know if that will work?

Piggybacking on that smart question, I have a stupid question.

I have a Boot Camp partition already installed on my HDD. If I get an SSD and an Optibay thing, is the EFI going to check both the SSD and the HDD for bootable partitions? Or am I going to run into the problem you guys are having?

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Rough testing reveals:

If you have Messages.app open on your computer and receive a message while Messages.app has focus, your iOS device will NOT audibly notify
If you have Messages.app open on your computer and receive a message while an app OTHER than Messages.app has focus, your iOS device WILL audibly notify.

However all registered iMessages targets will receive the message to keep the conversation in sync.

That's kind of awesome. Adium used Growl to alert me to new chats; Messages.app uses my iPhone. Growl was a lot cheaper. :v:

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

marmot25 posted:

I just added it to my pile of secure notes. It's not ideal, but it's still easily findable in a pinch.

There's also a "Notes" field for any login. It obviously won't autofill, but it keeps your Security Questions sorted with the login they belong to. I don't know how many Security Questions you're keeping track of, but it couldn't hurt.

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

japtor posted:

MarcoPolo is one that's been around for a while, but it looks like there's other options too these days (they showed up when I searched for MarcoPolo). No experience with any of them though.
http://alternativeto.net/software/marcopolo/?platform=mac

I used MarcoPolo for years until it stopped working well/at all when I upgraded to Lion. Nowadays, I'm using Control Plane. Works like a charm, has an active developer, and has a few more settings than MarcoPolo. Can't recommend it enough.

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

WarTribble posted:

This unhelpful message has been popping up today on my desktop. Coincidentally I also installed MS Office today. I am too paranoid to click Run. Could it be an Office message or something else? (quitting Office doesn't close it).

I googled phrases from the message with no clear answers.

That couldn't look sketchier unless the "Location" ended in .ru.

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

SwimNurd posted:

I am pretty sure that is java. This is what Oracle calls a "User Interface"

What the actual gently caress, Oracle. :aaa:

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

Are the boxes that say "Notification" still checked?

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

wdarkk posted:

Ohh, I didn't notice the "Advanced" checkbox there.

What, you didn't notice the moronic UI toggle for "all the useful options" placed in a completely random spot? Whattsamattayou? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

DarkJC posted:

Yeah, iCloud Photo Library is what they're calling the new feature that uploads everything, and I don't think those photos appear in your iCloud Drive. But, I haven't used the Yosemite developer preview to know for sure. We'll probably have a better idea of how it works as the betas progress.

I haven't seen anything about it yet; have they even turned on the iOS 8/Yosemite version of iCloud?