Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

saint gerald posted:

I have a 2011 MacBook Air that is behaving oddly. It runs just fine when plugged in, but when removed from the power it dies immediately. Hard shutdown, has to be plugged back in and restarted from scratch.

The battery seems to check out OK. It reads at 96% in the menu bar, and I attached a Battery Health readout on it.

The LED on the Magsafe connector is constantly green -- it never changes to red, even though the charge level of the battery is not 100%.

What's the deal? Battery that won't charge and is also incorrectly reporting its charge level? Screwed power adapter? Something else? I am out of my AppleCare and don't mind to pay for a battery swap, but a logic board replacement is not so easy to front. There is no Apple Store within reasonable distance.

Shut the computer down and reset SMC.

Plug the MagSafe in, press cmd+shift+opt (on the left side) and the power button at the same time, then let go of all of them at the same time. The MagSafe led should flash.

If that doesn't solve it, it could be a couple of things. Could be battery, MagSafe adapter, MagSafe board, or the logic board itself. Jus bring it in (with your adapter) to an apple store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

My last Apple computer experience was an Apple IIGS. Since then I've been 100% PC. However I want to be familiar MacOS (and I'd like to use an OS with a baked in shell) since a number of shops around here are Mac only.

Man are you in for a treat. It's just like GS/OS, just with better resolution (than 320 * 240) and years and years of fine tuning!

quote:

Knowing that I will really only be using it for coding (and wasting time on the internet), is there any reason I shouldn't get a MacBook Air (13 inch 128gb) vs a more expensive MacBook Pro? Anything I should look out for? I'll be buying new since I don't trust used laptops.

You should go to an Apple Store and check the rMBP and MacBook Air in person and decide for yourself which screen you can stare longer at, especially since you said you were a programmer. IMHO you will be able to work much better with the Retina display for long periods, as the resolution is so sharp (compared to the Air) and the brightness so vivid, eyestrain is almost non-existent.

And if you ever want to get nostalgic, here's a decent MacOS Apple //gs emulator. :v:

slogula
Oct 2, 2013
I have a mild bright spot in the backlight on my '14 retina. It's noticeable on lighter solid backgrounds. Is this inherent to the panel design, or should I pay a visit to the genius bar?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

slogula posted:

I have a mild bright spot in the backlight on my '14 retina. It's noticeable on lighter solid backgrounds. Is this inherent to the panel design, or should I pay a visit to the genius bar?

Where is it?

slogula
Oct 2, 2013
bottom right, about an inch and half in form the right edge, and extending up about an inch from the bottom of the screen. like a thumbprint.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The Retina display has to be the most overrated feature of all time. Had one for like a year for a gig, lost it and went back to non retina for eight months, now am back on Retina and never really noticed the change. Sure if you lean in really closely and squint yourself cross-eyed some things look slightly better but it's really not going to matter to 95% of users.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

You should go to an Apple Store and check the rMBP and MacBook Air in person and decide for yourself which screen you can stare longer at, especially since you said you were a programmer.

Personally, I could never work all day on an 11" or 13" screen, no matter the resolution. External monitors are a necessity. And if you are using an external, Retina or not doesn't really matter. My two cents.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Pryor on Fire posted:

The Retina display has to be the most overrated feature of all time. Had one for like a year for a gig, lost it and went back to non retina for eight months, now am back on Retina and never really noticed the change. Sure if you lean in really closely and squint yourself cross-eyed some things look slightly better but it's really not going to matter to 95% of users.

I don't think 95% of users need a MacBook Pro either.

I needed a retina screen because Davinci Resolve needs a stupid huge resolution for the GUI to work properly.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

Sure if you lean in really closely and squint yourself cross-eyed some things look slightly better but it's really not going to matter to 95% of users.
I don't have to lean in close and squint to notice a stark difference. Consider having your eyes checked? I'll agree retina's not functionally different in many cases but I sure do enjoy it as person with eyeballs in focus.

slogula
Oct 2, 2013
The retina screen is what I like most about the laptop, but then I have pretty good vision.

Regarding my earlier post, I think I'm seeing an anomaly in the diffuser. I'm the only one in the office who can see it though, so I kinda suspect that this is within the standard manufacturing variance.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

slogula posted:

The retina screen is what I like most about the laptop, but then I have pretty good vision.

Regarding my earlier post, I think I'm seeing an anomaly in the diffuser. I'm the only one in the office who can see it though, so I kinda suspect that this is within the standard manufacturing variance.

For Retina, there is no variance. Apple stores have a specific test that will let them test the display against multiple specific backgrounds.

If it's a real bright spot, they'll replace your display for free as long as you're in warranty/applecare.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ashex posted:

For MBP retina docks is henge still the top choice for stuff that's available now? I'm in Germany and the international store for Henge doesn't have them yet, this isn't a huge issue for me but if anyone has another favorite it would be good to know.
Depends what you want, like there's a bunch of thunderbolt docks now that can give you more and/or different ports.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

My last Apple computer experience was an Apple IIGS. Since then I've been 100% PC. However I want to be familiar MacOS (and I'd like to use an OS with a baked in shell) since a number of shops around here are Mac only.

Or just use Linux? The shell on OS X is just a demented form of the Linux environment. But that can be livable -- the only reason I wouldn't just get a Mac for coding is because of the keyboard's weak key travel and discomfort. Well also, freedom :911:

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Knowing that I will really only be using it for coding (and wasting time on the internet), is there any reason I shouldn't get a MacBook Air (13 inch 128gb) vs a more expensive MacBook Pro? Anything I should look out for? I'll be buying new since I don't trust used laptops.

The 13" MacBook Pro can be configured with 16 GB of RAM which is useful if you ever need to run a VM (which, unless you're developing iPhone apps or are a lovely web dev that doesn't want to test if things actually work in production, you're going to need to run one), also the screen is really nice, both in terms of color and yes, resolution. Nobody really mentioned that the screen is just nice. You'll get better performance out of the CPU too. I think the MBP has a better keyboard than the MBA too, but I wouldn't code all day on either. If you end up liking the keyboard, the 13" MBP is better than any 13" or 14" Windows laptop for development of Unixy stuff that OS X would suffice for. You get more fine control over font sizes in stuff, you can set utility terminal font sizes to really low values, it's a treat. The main problems all have to do with OS X.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Can anyone recommend a reputable vendor for replacement MacBook batteries? It's a 2009 Unibody, so the fix shouldn't be difficult.

Edit: Sorry I should have specified this is within the UK.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 18, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thunderbolt docks can't charge, right? So still need at least two connections when on desktop.

Edit: I thought the Thunderbolt display could do it, but even though they bill it as "one-cable convenience," it's still got two plugs on the Mac end.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 18, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

smackfu posted:

Thunderbolt docks can't charge, right? So still need at least two connections when on desktop.

Correct. Future USB versions might work for this if Apple actually uses what's coming down the pipes there (enough bandwidth for a screen and enough power carried to drive the computer) but at the moment there's nothing.

smackfu posted:

Edit: I thought the Thunderbolt display could do it, but even though they bill it as "one-cable convenience," it's still got two plugs on the Mac end.

This gets especially annoying for the Air, which has the Thunderbolt/MiniDisplayport port on one side and the charger connection on the other.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I have a current generation Mac Mini (Macmini6,1) at home and I'd like to upgrade the slow-rear end HDD to a new SDD. Is this pretty much a standard plug and play job, or are there certain brand SDD which work better for this?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ineptmule posted:

Can anyone recommend a reputable vendor for replacement MacBook batteries? It's a 2009 Unibody, so the fix shouldn't be difficult.

Apple still sells those.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

No. 6 posted:

I have a current generation Mac Mini (Macmini6,1) at home and I'd like to upgrade the slow-rear end HDD to a new SDD. Is this pretty much a standard plug and play job, or are there certain brand SDD which work better for this?

Like they say in the SSD megathread, avoid Crucial and OCZ. If you want relatively slow (as SSDs go) but reliable, and don't mind paying a little extra, Intel 730s are good. If you want the best compatibility, get a Samsung 850 Pro as it has the best I/O consistency of most drives, which is what Mac OS X needs (according to AnandTech.)

There's also OWC/MacSales Mercury SSDs which are SandForce based and work well with Macs whether you enable TRIM or not, so they're pretty much plug and play.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Getting the thing in there is a bit of a pain. I managed to do it without buying that giant staple for removing the logic board. You have to kind of wiggle it a bit. You have to turn the mini upside down after inserting the new drive part of the way so the pins will align with the holes on the inside wall of the case. I just put a 128GB SSD in there and it still has the 2GB of RAM it came with. It's working just fine for web browsing in the kitchen on 10.9.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Like they say in the SSD megathread, avoid Crucial and OCZ. If you want relatively slow (as SSDs go) but reliable, and don't mind paying a little extra, Intel 730s are good. If you want the best compatibility, get a Samsung 850 Pro as it has the best I/O consistency of most drives, which is what Mac OS X needs (according to AnandTech.)

There's also OWC/MacSales Mercury SSDs which are SandForce based and work well with Macs whether you enable TRIM or not, so they're pretty much plug and play.

Thanks. I'll go with the OWC setup. Should I enable TRIM for this drive, and if so, how?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

No. 6 posted:

Thanks. I'll go with the OWC setup. Should I enable TRIM for this drive, and if so, how?

TRIM Enabler is your friend. Yes, this can also be done with several lines of commands in Terminal, but TE gives you other useful info about the condition of the SSD.

Shareware $10, but the $10 is more for the extra info and assorted SSD-only tweaks, enabling TRIM is free.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 18, 2014

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Wow, thanks a ton! I'll give it a shot as soon as the drive arrives.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

ineptmule posted:

Think I've said it here in the past, but generally any third party battery for MacBooks/Pros is either 1) a pull from another laptop or 2) a badly manufactured clone or 3) a unique terrible blending of the first two that usually doesn't fit right, gives up after 1-3 months (works great until that time) or is dead OOTB.

Possible exceptions include batteries from Newer Technologies, and maybe Anker.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Getting the thing in there is a bit of a pain. I managed to do it without buying that giant staple for removing the logic board. You have to kind of wiggle it a bit. You have to turn the mini upside down after inserting the new drive part of the way so the pins will align with the holes on the inside wall of the case. I just put a 128GB SSD in there and it still has the 2GB of RAM it came with. It's working just fine for web browsing in the kitchen on 10.9.

The hardest part of the whole procedure for me was replacing the little fan shroud that tucks under the left side of the case. I used a credit card to line up the hard drive with its holes. It was finicky to say the least, but I think it took maybe a minute's worth of fidgeting to align properly.

I'd say it was a fairly easy job as long as you watch a few youtube videos beforehand so you know what small cables (and you'll be working with small, fragile cables) to pull and how.

I booted up my Mac Mini with the stock 5400RPM drive and literally 20 seconds in I said "NOOOPE" and mashed the power button before heading to the store to pick up an SSD. Threw a 240 in there and haven't looked back. I'd say that the upgrade is figuratively night and day in terms of usability.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether I want to put another 8GB RAM in there. I've got 10GB and that is probably more than enough for what I do with it, but at the same time it's only another $70-80 to bump it to 16GB, and if I'm going to do it I'll do it now while DDR3L is plentiful and not last-gen. Because OS X: "You can never have enough RAM"

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 18, 2014

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Use the iFixit guide to get your drives in and you'll be fine. I was at a point with my Mini that I could get the drives out in about three minutes. (Bought an OWC SSD that crapped out so was in and out a bunch.)

Speaking of the Mini, they'll finally update them when they come out with Yosemite, right? RIGHT? :ohdear:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Speaking of the Mini, they'll finally update them when they come out with Yosemite, right? RIGHT? :ohdear:

Next update will most likely be Broadwell, at this point. So probably early 2015.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a difference in signal strength between the various Airport Extreme routers? (the squatty one and the tall-rear end one). I'm trying to figure out the best way to get a wireless signal from one end of the house to the other. I get 27% with a Netgear WRT54-G and a squatty-rear end Airport Extreme.

Also, general networking questions: Would there be any problem using a squatty Airport Extreme as an extender with an 8-year-old Linksys WRT54-G (B/G only)? Does it make a difference that the main router is a B/G (no N/AC) router?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 19, 2014

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

fleshweasel posted:

Getting the thing in there is a bit of a pain. I managed to do it without buying that giant staple for removing the logic board.

You can make your own giant staple with a coat hanger and wire cutter.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

TRIM Enabler is your friend. Yes, this can also be done with several lines of commands in Terminal, but TE gives you other useful info about the condition of the SSD.

Shareware $10, but the $10 is more for the extra info and assorted SSD-only tweaks, enabling TRIM is free.

Well OWC tells you not to enable TRIM on their own SSDs http://blog.macsales.com/21641-with-an-owc-ssd-theres-no-need-for-trim

I have never messed with it on mine and I haven't seen a reason to.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
It's probably totally irrelevant to actual Mac hardware, but not totally irrelevant to Mac software, at least. I had a Samsung 850 Pro for all of two weeks running with TRIM soft patched on the same controller 6Gbps ports as my primary SSD which I used without incident for years, and then my system spontaneously rebooted after unlock. Rebooted to find the new SSD missing, and although cold booting made it appear long enough to add it to the boot list and attempt boot, it died again early into the boot cycle.

Unlucky purchase there. And even then, I asked the Amazon Marketplace reseller to do an exchange, and by the time my return had arrived over the weekend, they forgot and processed it as a return instead.

Oh well, not sure I even want to risk another SSD after how long it takes just to get a fresh install up and running on a new drive before I can restore from my Time Capsule backup. I'll probably wait until Yosemite GM so I don't have to go through 8 different DP patches again.

I think I already posted my hardware failure sob story to the Hackintosh thread, so this is just a pointless cross post of sorts.

Good reason to keep good backups in case poo poo Happens, though.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

What is the cheapest way to get another 4gb of ram in my mid-2012 MacBook Pro? I.e. what brand won't burst into flames while being the most affordable?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

rio posted:

What is the cheapest way to get another 4gb of ram in my mid-2012 MacBook Pro? I.e. what brand won't burst into flames while being the most affordable?

Doesn't really matter. Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, G-Skill..

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

JHVH-1 posted:

Well OWC tells you not to enable TRIM on their own SSDs http://blog.macsales.com/21641-with-an-owc-ssd-theres-no-need-for-trim

Well that's a bunch of crap. All they say is they use compression and overprovision, we already know SSDs do that.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

If you read the article, their conclusion is TRIM is not required, but doesn't hurt anything. Gonna TRIM this mofo. :frogc00l:

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!
If I was looking for a basic desktop set up, would it make more sense to pick up a refurb iMac or a refurb Mac Mini plus non-Apple monitor, keyboard and mouse? Wouldn't be doing anything extreme, just browsing, light Photoshop and hosting a Plex server. Seems like the Mac Mini setup would be slightly cheaper, but less pretty. Are there any other differences I'm not taking into account?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The Mac Mini only has a standard HDD installed and is pretty drat slow (if you're used to SDD). I did something similar; purchased a MacMini with a 27" Dell Ultrasharp monitor with the intent to use it for multiple devices. I like the setup but it didn't save much (if any) money.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

kernel panic posted:

If I was looking for a basic desktop set up, would it make more sense to pick up a refurb iMac or a refurb Mac Mini plus non-Apple monitor, keyboard and mouse? Wouldn't be doing anything extreme, just browsing, light Photoshop and hosting a Plex server. Seems like the Mac Mini setup would be slightly cheaper, but less pretty. Are there any other differences I'm not taking into account?

This monitor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3329WA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and this keyboard: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005L38VRU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

are what we are currently planning to use to make a MacBook Air work as a desktop machine.

A bit prettier than just buying stock black PC stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Martytoof posted:

Next update will most likely be Broadwell, at this point. So probably early 2015.

If we're just gonna play the baseless speculation game, I'd say that the biggest holdup is probably making something that's gonna be 4k/HiDpi/whatever compatible to go with the rumored display refresh but that doesn't seem reasonable or probable at all. Are any Intel GPUs comfortably 4k-capable yet? Are any of the Broadwell ones gonna be?

I guess Apple could release two different display tiers but that's not their style. Maybe they'll keep the old one around for a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I thought Ivy Bridge brought 4K compatibility but maybe that was at 30hz. If the screen is a concern I don't think they'd really give a drat about the GPU grunt cause it wouldn't be the first time it was underpowered, but for an elegant 5K solution* (HiDPI 1440p equivalent) they'd need to wait for DP 1.3 (TB3?). DP 1.3 just got finalized (not that that necessarily means shipping parts) but the next TB isn't ready yet afaik.
*Dell showed off a 5K display but it requires two DP1.2 connections to work.

As for blind speculation about Broadwell, who knows. The Mac mini generally takes a while to be updated... so a few months after the new Broadwell MBs all come out with no mini in sight we might as well be talking about waiting for Skylake :smithicide:. I wouldn't be too surprised if the mini goes Haswell -> Skylake, but that's based on a hope they'd be updated before Broadwell MBPs come out.