Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Triglav posted:

Microsoft added or is adding Unix stuff to Windows 10. Probably won't work perfectly, though. I don't know any more details beyond the headline.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DevelopersCanRunBashShellAndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Word on the rumour mill is the new rMBPs will have some sort of OLED touch panel

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Word on the rumour mill is the new rMBPs will have some sort of OLED touch panel

Not a touch display - OLED display touch bar (to replace physical function keys, located above the keyboard)

If they do that...gently caress.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

That sounds too dumb to be true even in 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

13" Macbook better have more than one hole.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The OLED thing sounds weird but intriguing. I hope they at least announce something in June so I can decide if I'll wait or buy the rMB.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

13" Macbook better have more than one hole.

I was worried about it on the rMB, but it's mostly been a non-issue. I have a hub that has 3 USB3 ports, an HDMI port and a port to plug the charging cable in. It works great when I need to hook up my T3 drive and iPad Pro or external monitor.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm just glad we got our first rMBP rumor.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That same rumor says late 2016 release so maybe we won't see anything at WWDC.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Bob Morales posted:

Not a touch display - OLED display touch bar (to replace physical function keys, located above the keyboard)

Welp it's been a good run lads

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Actually, I might interested in that sort of deal if it's like that Optimus keyboard with tiny screens in every key that made all the rounds on the tech sites like a decade ago.

Like that pic is a poor use of it as a glorified app launcher, but it would be kind of cool to have keys that dynamically changed image, (like 'X' to 'scissors icon' when you held down Command, or icons for your video game hotkeys or whatever. I'm not sure if that thing ever got off the ground in a non-buggy and non $1,000 way.

I'm highly skeptical that a touch bar with no tactile feedback would be able to accomplish that as well as keys though, and if it just ends up been a touchscreen with static volume controls, then it's no better than ever lovely HP laptop I had in the 2000's with awful non standard volume controls and 'Email' buttons and what have you.

As long as we're discussing Apple keyboards, does anyone else think it would be nice if they included their moon language symbols for things like Option and Escape, i don't know, printed on the actual keys?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MrChupon posted:

Actually, I might interested in that sort of deal if it's like that Optimus keyboard with tiny screens in every key that made all the rounds on the tech sites like a decade ago.

Like that pic is a poor use of it as a glorified app launcher, but it would be kind of cool to have keys that dynamically changed image, (like 'X' to 'scissors icon' when you held down Command, or icons for your video game hotkeys or whatever. I'm not sure if that thing ever got off the ground in a non-buggy and non $1,000 way.

I'm highly skeptical that a touch bar with no tactile feedback would be able to accomplish that as well as keys though, and if it just ends up been a touchscreen with static volume controls, then it's no better than ever lovely HP laptop I had in the 2000's with awful non standard volume controls and 'Email' buttons and what have you.

As long as we're discussing Apple keyboards, does anyone else think it would be nice if they included their moon language symbols for things like Option and Escape, i don't know, printed on the actual keys?

Yeah, this is like, the second biggest reason I installed cheatsheet.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

robodex posted:

Yeah uploading all your music to apple music is a great idea, I really like how it matched a bunch of live recordings i'd downloaded to studio versions, or replaced tracks on obscure/indie music with stuff by completely different artists

Look I use apple music every day but do not delete your local library unless you listen exclusively to stuff that's on apple music

iTunes Match might be a better call in that case - it uses actual song fingerprinting (the "match").

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MrBond posted:

iTunes Match might be a better call in that case - it uses actual song fingerprinting (the "match").

It boggles my mind that they wouldn't just use the same technology for Apple Music.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How often do y'all use your function keys

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I still use them for volume, media controls, brightness (keyboard and screen), and mission control.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I use them all the time, especially the volume/media control keys.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Media control, constantly. And the volume controls.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

ethanol posted:

That sounds too dumb to be true even in 2016
Remember when Lenovo did this to the Thinkpad X1 Carbon? It was really poo poo, and I hope this rumor turns out to be untrue because it's a loving garbage idea to take away tactile feedback from a component of the keyboard.

I'm also that weirdo who uses the actual F1-F12 function keys because I use VM's.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

I wanna be the first guy to write a hack for that OLED display that makes it look like a Cylon eye coruscating back and forth

Or it can be the one way cursor that keeps going left to right under the main viewing screen in Trek TOS episodes

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

I wanna be the first guy to write a hack for that OLED display that makes it look like a Cylon eye coruscating back and forth

Or like KITT.

.....Siri is apparently coming to OSX this year (or MacOS, I guess, if those other rumors turn out to be true). Get me a William Daniels voice mod and this is starting to sound like a good idea...

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Bob Morales posted:

Isn't that the same thing that OEMs like HP have been putting above keyboard keys for a while anyway for volume controls and other media keys?

I'd rather it be used as a monitoring display for CPU, network, or disk usage but I already did that with the light on the old Powerbooks when I ran Linux on it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

necrobobsledder posted:

Isn't that the same thing that OEMs like HP have been putting above keyboard keys for a while anyway for volume controls and other media keys?

I'd rather it be used as a monitoring display for CPU, network, or disk usage but I already did that with the light on the old Powerbooks when I ran Linux on it.

One of those dipshit OEM's used it for volume controls. loving stupid. Don't do this Apple. I will personally resurrect Steve Jobs myself so he can run around firing all you fucks.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

That's worse than all this rose gold poo poo my god no apple. Look how awful and unused that is on the ps4 controller pls stop.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

That's worse than all this rose gold poo poo my god no apple. Look how awful and unused that is on the ps4 controller pls stop.

I like the rose gold :colbert:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
On the plus side, if it turns out to be true, I can just buy a thunderbolt 3 dock and hook up my cherry mx keyboard + monitor to it.

e: I want a rose gold 15 inch Macbook Pro. :colbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple should make Macbook Socks like they did the iPod socks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Where is this "rumor" coming from since no one posted a source and just decided to freak out about it instead.

Edit: coming from Ming-Shi Kuo who has has a pretty good record. He did predict iPhone SE colors similar to the 5c and the iPhone 6 to have a programmable power button though, so this could still be a miss.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 24, 2016

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Yeah, I do have my doubts since saying specifically that it's going to be OLED sounds like a buzzword thrown out for more clicks. I'm more so infuriated that someone would throw it out as a suggestion or even imply it's a great idea. Also doesn't help that Apple's been making some weird design decisions lately.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

One of those dipshit OEM's used it for volume controls. loving stupid. Don't do this Apple. I will personally resurrect Steve Jobs myself so he can run around firing all you fucks.

I'm pretty sure my 2009ish Dell XPS 13 had a few resistive(!) touch controls above the kb, including the power button.

It was always a crapshoot to use and just faster to use the Windows UI.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
I can't understand the purpose? I hope they aren't doing it to be weird, like to put the dock down there for you to hit icons with your finger, or in some lame attempt to make the keyboard smaller. I quite like my function keys, even if I only really use half of them.

Without knowing more, I hope it's just some crazy-rear end rumor, something told for fun or as a supplier loyalty/secrecy test.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I just wonder if Apple is willing to add that sort of complexity to a very clean and straightforward design.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Looks like Apple pushed out firmware updates for the 802.11ac AEBS and Time Capsule (v7.7.7, previous release was 7.7.3):

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1708?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Aaaand also for the 802.11n AEBS, Airport Express, and Time Capsule (v.7.6.7, previous was 7.6.4):

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1880?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

See the URLs for explanations of the tweaks.

Upgrading current Apple wireless hardware can only be done through Airport Utility in /Applications/Utilities.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'm still on my 2013 MBA with its struggling 4 gigs of ram and was hoping for the MBP/MBA refresh to be real good, but if they gently caress this up I'm gonna end up on the 12" Macbook, which I'm not looking forward to. I'm actually not that annoyed by the one-cable-ness, since it'll be nice to only plug two cables (thunderbolt + audio) into my computer at home instead of four (power + video + usb + audio), but the keyboard seems really unpleasant, and it seems kind of underpowered for the price :(

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Tons of people have posted trip reports with their MacBooks, you don't need to worry about specs unless you're a niche case or a 14 year old boy. To me it sounds like it handles basic photo editing, programming, and general use without hiccups.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

abraham linksys posted:

I'm still on my 2013 MBA with its struggling 4 gigs of ram and was hoping for the MBP/MBA refresh to be real good, but if they gently caress this up I'm gonna end up on the 12" Macbook, which I'm not looking forward to. I'm actually not that annoyed by the one-cable-ness, since it'll be nice to only plug two cables (thunderbolt + audio) into my computer at home instead of four (power + video + usb + audio), but the keyboard seems really unpleasant, and it seems kind of underpowered for the price :(

It's only USB C 3.0, not thunderbolt or 3.1 yet.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

MrBond posted:

It's only USB C 3.0, not thunderbolt or 3.1 yet.

Ah, right. I didn't even know there was a 3.1.

I don't suppose there's a way to get audio out of that port to like a 3.5mm adapter, is there? I assume the HDMI adapter carries audio but my monitor doesn't have a speaker port or anything. I know there's a 3.5mm port on the thing but I just figure I might as well try to plug in/unplug as few cables as possible.

tuyop posted:

Tons of people have posted trip reports with their MacBooks, you don't need to worry about specs unless you're a niche case or a 14 year old boy. To me it sounds like it handles basic photo editing, programming, and general use without hiccups.

Mmk. I do web dev and occasionally dabble in game dev and my MBA is okay 99% of the time but occasionally chugs on a build or something. Though that may just be because it's swapping a bunch, right now I'm working on something and the lil "memory pressure" graph in the Activity Monitor is a solid yellow :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

I don't suppose there's a way to get audio out of that port to like a 3.5mm adapter, is there? I assume the HDMI adapter carries audio but my monitor doesn't have a speaker port or anything. I know there's a 3.5mm port on the thing but I just figure I might as well try to plug in/unplug as few cables as possible.
Should be possible (hell I think there's docks that already have it?), it'd just act as a standard USB audio device like the stuff that's been around forever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

hush my darling

hush and be soothed

https://youtu.be/xLTNfIaL5YI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I doubt the OLED Bar is realistic and it goes against Apples entire design philosophy of minimalism.